Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Giovanni Vallati

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Not sure I get the Gustaffson love here. I'd probably have Nikkanen ahead of him in the forward group, but would run with 3 dmen and a goalie before either of them. I am open to arguments for Gustaffson.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

WiscoJet

May 3, 2016
Not to be the stickler of prospect polls can someone inform me why last year Jack Roslovic wasn't considered a prospect after playing 31 NHL games but Appleton and Niku are this year?

Reactions: Gil Fisher

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
I'm in the minority, I guess, but went with Nikkanen.
To me, he falls into a class with (in no particular order) Berdin, Gustafsson, Stanley and Suess.
I feel like of the 5, his absolute maximum potential is the highest, though he may be the furthest from it. I'll keep voting for him until he wins, though some of the others may aleady be gone. At this point, other than HNik, I'd go Gus then Stanley.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Not sure I get the Gustaffson love here. I'd probably have Nikkanen ahead of him in the forward group, but would run with 3 dmen and a goalie before either of them. I am open to arguments for Gustaffson.

Me either. Fine, I haven't seen him or any of these prospects play but his scoring stats don't impress me. With 2 goals in 36 games in the SHL, I don't know how people can be talking about him being a top 6 centre. At best, he seems like a Lowry replacement to me. I also have high hopes for Nikkanen. I voted for him last round but decided to vote strategically here so my vote isn't wasted. As much as I'm not a Stanley fan, he gets my anti-Gus vote. :laugh:

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Quick recap, using purely production and NHL equivalency conversion (points/82):

Kovacevic (age 21) 19
Gustafssson (age 18) 17
Stanley (age 20) 12
Spacek (age 21) 21
Chisholm (age 18) 18
Most statistical models are favorable to Gus. I think he should be running away with this one.

As for Stanley... I see Chisholm as a better prospects than Stanley was at the same age. I thought the same when he was drafted.

I could make a case for Chisholm, Vallati, Kovacevic and Gawanke being better prospects right now. The only reason Stanley is getting votes us because he was a 1st round pick. If he was drafted in the 3rd (where he belonged), he wouldn't be in the running.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Most statistical models are favorable to Gus. I think he should be running away with this one.

As for Stanley... I see Chisholm as a better prospects than Stanley was at the same age. I thought the same when he was drafted.

I could make a case for Chisholm, Vallati, Kovacevic and Gawanke being better prospects right now. The only reason Stanley is getting votes us because he was a 1st round pick. If he was drafted in the 3rd (where he belonged), he wouldn't be in the running.

I'd put Kovacevic and Chisholm at least ahead of Stanley, but I think I disagree with respect to Stankey living off his draft position. If Green had been healthy and featured as prominently with the Moose as Stanley has the past two years, he'd be getting more love than Stanley.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Steep drop off after Gus IMO.

Agree. There’s still a few of prospects in this poll that I really like (Berdin, Gawanke, Kovacevic), but it’s now getting into imagined upside and wishful thinking.

Gustafsson is the last one that I’d project with a better than 50% chance of a real NHL career.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I voted for Stanley but I'm shocked that Gawanke hasn't got any votes. He's always stood out whenever I've watched him play. Looking forward to seeing how he does in the A this season

I’m a big Gawanke fan, and really like his game. Then again, I was also a big fan of Kostalek coming out of the Q.

Way too much uncertainty to be picking him over someone like Gustafsson.

Reactions: HPsauce

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I'd put Kovacevic and Chisholm at least ahead of Stanley, but I think I disagree with respect to Stankey living off his draft position. If Green had been healthy and featured as prominently with the Moose as Stanley has the past two years, he'd be getting more love than Stanley.
Agreed. Which is why I think Stanley is living off his draft position. His actual play just isn't that good.

I don't think Stanley belongs here and I'd struggle to make a case for him within the next 5.

Gustafsson is a legit prospect.

Next Tier IMO:
Kovacevic
Chisholm
Berdin
Gawanke <- Really like his brain and puck skills, but his skating is a big question mark.

Next Next Tier:
Vallati
Stanley
Spacek

Last edited:

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I’m (slightly) more hopeful now than I was at this time last year about Stanley being an NHL regular, but I still see his upside as extremely low, same as I did the day he was drafted.

The game is going in the opposite direction of defensemen like him. And contrary to what I’ve heard some people say, I really see zero offensive upside for him at the NHL level.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I’m (slightly) more hopeful now than I was at this time last year about Stanley being an NHL regular, but I still see his upside as extremely low, same as I did the day he was drafted.

The game is going in the opposite direction of defensemen like him. And contrary to what I’ve heard some people say, I really see zero offensive upside for him at the NHL level.
Historically, his offense has been better than his defense. He moves well forward, but backwards - especially when turning - has been a train wreck. I think that's why people talk about his offensive game. Hard to buy into that given that his production has been miserable at every level.

My hope is that he can become an above average 3rd pair D, or slot in as a #7 and not kill the team. Something like Adam Pardy.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

You're dismissing the underdog lovers voting for Stanley here. He has a lot of supporters who are there only as a reaction to all the criticism of him being picked the way he was.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agree. There’s still a few of prospects in this poll that I really like (Berdin, Gawanke, Kovacevic), but it’s now getting into imagined upside and wishful thinking.

Gustafsson is the last one that I’d project with a better than 50% chance of a real NHL career.

Speaking of the last ones - Smith was drafted as an over-ager and made exactly zero progress from his late draft to D+1 (actual D+2). But this thread is about best prospects, not worst.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Historically, his offense has been better than his defense. He moves well forward, but backwards - especially when turning - has been a train wreck. I think that's why people talk about his offensive game. Hard to buy into that given that his production has been miserable at every level.

My hope is that he can become an above average 3rd pair D, or slot in as a #7 and not kill the team. Something like Adam Pardy.

I think 'miserable' is a bit harsh. I'd call it mediocre.
The thing is that I doubt his offense translates to the NHL. I expect him to score about like Chia Pet. His big shot will get him a few points from the point. But he is going to have to make the NHL on his defense.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
You're dismissing the underdog lovers voting for Stanley here. He has a lot of supporters who are there only as a reaction to all the criticism of him being picked the way he was.

Underdog lovers, or doubling down against what most have accepted: he was at best a reach pick that should’ve been taken on the second day.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I think 'miserable' is a bit harsh. I'd call it mediocre.
The thing is that I doubt his offense translates to the NHL. I expect him to score about like Chia Pet. His big shot will get him a few points from the point. But he is going to have to make the NHL on his defense.

This. He can’t hit a pass to save his life. Most of his production seems to come off his rocket from the point, which will win him some skill competitions but basically be useless in the show.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Underdog lovers, or doubling down against what most have accepted: he was at best a reach pick that should’ve been taken on the second day.

Absolutely. 3rd rd or 4th. We didn't have a 3rd. Detroit was rumoured planning on spending their 1st on him. Let them. It just gives us a better group to pick from, like Boston did for us the year before. Only once instead of 3 times. :laugh:

Reactions: Hank Chinaski

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
I’m a big Gawanke fan, and really like his game. Then again, I was also a big fan of Kostalek coming out of the Q.

Way too much uncertainty to be picking him over someone like Gustafsson.

In my opinion Kostalek never really jumped off the page when he was playing. He did some things well but was never in position to make his plays

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Stanley was the best defenseman for the Moose last year as a 20 year old rookie, so I went with him.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Speaking of the last ones - Smith was drafted as an over-ager and made exactly zero progress from his late draft to D+1 (actual D+2). But this thread is about best prospects, not worst.

Smith was intriguing to me when he was picked, but he seems to have taken a step back. I don’t think he even makes it to the AHL, let alone NHL.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Smith was intriguing to me when he was picked, but he seems to have taken a step back. I don’t think he even makes it to the AHL, let alone NHL.

I was disappointed by his lack of progress last year. He is off to Mankato State. Maybe he will turn into something there. We'll see.

Reactions: snowkiddin

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
To me Berdin in the obvious choice here. He's the only one who looks like he has a chance to be more than just an easily replaceable bottom part of the roster, type player.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Or those that panned the pick immediately are holding to their guns, despite how the kid has been developing. Probably a bit of both IMO. I only went to one Moose game last year and he was their best defenseman that game and got leaned on heavily in all situations. His coach on the Moose sure seems to be a big fan.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad