Confirmed with Link: Jets sign T.J Galiardi [1 year, 2 way, 750,000]

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I'm not going to try and make you believe that it is a good signing, but it sounds more like you're choosing not to get excited about it. I get it. Most of us around here have been frustrated with the lack of moves this offseason, and when I first saw this news I was like "TJ who? Not another scrub...." When I looked into it though, it made sens and there was enough potential there to get excited about. I'm actually looking forward to seeing what he can do (in the line combos thread I suggested he might do well on a line with Scheif and O'Dell). There is a good chance he doesn't pan out, but this signing addresses one of our top needs in bolstering our bottom 6. There's lots of info here and elsewhere to suggest that he can contribute in a meaningful way. Ignore it if you want.

At the risk of repeating the same thing again, my only point was he's likely only a 4th line player/13th forward. While adding depth players, 4th line guys, etc are required.....I'm not exactly excited by it. That was my only point. If he plays and we never see Thor, Wright, Tang, Hal ever again I'll be happy, but that's not going to happen this year....maybe the following year (hopefully Wright is never back).

We're still going to end in last place and stink in our division. Yes I know it's a process and it takes time. Still hard to get excited when you know you're going get hammered and end in last place....again. I'll take a deep breath step away from the cliff and relax/chill for another crappy year.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
At the risk of repeating the same thing again, my only point was he's likely only a 4th line player/13th forward. While adding depth players, 4th line guys, etc are required.....I'm not exactly excited by it. That was my only point. If he plays and we never see Thor, Wright, Tang, Hal ever again I'll be happy, but that's not going to happen this year....maybe the following year (hopefully Wright is never back).

We're still going to end in last place and stink in our division. Yes I know it's a process and it takes time. Still hard to get excited when you know you're going get hammered and end in last place....again. I'll take a deep breath step away from the cliff and relax/chill for another crappy year.

Just..Think of the lovely draft position! No honour for Connor, Lack for Jack.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

TBH I think your pessimism is a bit overstated. TJ is never going to be a high scoring star but he is better than a 13th forward. He is a 3-4 line tweener. I expect him to improve our 4th line and be able to move up (instead of Thor!) in case of injury. With 1 or 2 promotions from the IceCaps + MP + TJ we are slightly better than last year. Certainly should finish ahead of Nashville and if Hutch pushes Pavs enough 5th place is not impossible. That is without expecting any improvement due to coaching. If Mau can get a little more out of the same players ...... well still too big an IF. Time will tell.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Decent pick up. An slight improvement over a lot of the AHL tweeners on the roster. I'd like to see one more legit top 9 signing, and then have a real competition to fill out the 4th line. Too bad they signed Thorburn to such a bad 1-way contract. Otherwise you have about a 1/2 dozen guys on 2-ways battling for the last couple roster spots.

WinnipegWinter*

Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg
Question about this signing - how does he play? Is he a physical player that plays with a lot of energy or someone who can easily disappear?

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I think MP will score more than Olli did. Maybe quite a bit more depending on linemates. But I think he will also be better defensively.

Yeah, Olli was pretty bad defensively. But one of the Ducks followers posted in our thread (when we signed MP) that MP is super soft defensively.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah, Olli was pretty bad defensively. But one of the Ducks followers posted in our thread (when we signed MP) that MP is super soft defensively.

1 Duck fan?
His possession numbers are really good. He's fast. He doesn't shy away from the dirty areas. He wins face-offs. He even hits a bit. Nothing else we've heard here suggests "super soft defensively". The only negative I've heard is that his aggressive style and smaller size lead to too many injuries.

He could be a little weak defensively and still be an improvement on Olli in that respect.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

Super effective I think is what they should have said:

BrjMHahIMAAIuqN.png

Source: Size didn't help Jokinen match against top lines, or hurt Perreault

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Sweet baby jesus. If that doesn't paint a picture, I don't know what would.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Garret: might wanna add that first %number in the bracket, behind the lines, is blue (corsi-for) and the second number is red (goals-for).

Otherwise, you won't get it without clicking on the article.

YOU STILL CLICK ON THE ARTICLE BECAUSE THIS IS FREE CONTENT FROM A GREAT BLOG THAT CAN AT LEAST USE YOUR ONE TINY VISIT!

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Garret: might wanna add that first %number in the bracket, behind the lines, is blue (corsi-for) and the second number is red (goals-for).

Otherwise, you won't get it without clicking on the article.

YOU STILL CLICK ON THE ARTICLE BECAUSE THIS IS FREE CONTENT FROM A GREAT BLOG THAT CAN AT LEAST USE YOUR ONE TINY VISIT!

I went to the site and read the full article and it was great. It says it is closed for comments now so I will comment here.

I have been saying this for a while size is getting way overrated in the NHL lately. Don't get me wrong all things being equal its great to have "good" big players but size without edge or without hockey sense is as useless as speed with low IQ.

I love big centres with skill but the article exposes how size alone is a gross oversimplification of the complexity of what it takes to succeed. Would I rather have Kopitar than Petan.....yes because Kopi is a great player....would I rather have Little than even a prime Joker.....for sure because little is a better more well rounded centre.

Anyways as usual good read garret.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
1 Duck fan?

Well, I think that there were only 1 or 2 Duck fans posting in our forum about Perreault, so 1 is a pretty big sample. But hey, I don't know the guy.

Look - Perreault is ours now. I like the 'exchange' - Perreault for Olli. I hope he turns out to be the best little center in the world. I just wanted to share the opinion of someone who has been watching him for a while. I hope he can stay healthy and our optimism about him comes true.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
gotta agree on this one but it just makes the Thorbs signing all the more stupid

Agreed, Thor contract is ONE of Chevys mistakes. Thor shouldn't be on this team now, imagine how bad he will be in the last year of that contract. Ugg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad