Confirmed with Link: Jets sign T.J Galiardi [1 year, 2 way, 750,000]

bigplay41*

May 5, 2010
Winnipeg
Flames fans were not to big on Galiardi apparently its easy for him to get knocked down?? I have no real opinion never watched him much

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Flames fans were not to big on Galiardi apparently its easy for him to get knocked down?? I have no real opinion never watched him much

Maybe we should have traded for Hartnell down, and put him on a line with Sheif and Galiardi. The all fall down line.

NBjet

May 24, 2014
That's not going to happen Maurice has said he likes Buff at wing.

Ladd Little Frolik
Kane Sheifele Wheeler
Galiardi Perreault Byfuglien
Tangradi/Halischuk Slater Thorburn/Peluso

That's probably more like it.

This... Some nice offense and speed on 3 lines.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Hard to get excited about signing a 4th line player who can only get a $750k two way contract from a bad team.

:help:

Unholy goalie

Jul 11, 2011
Hard to get excited about signing a 4th line player who can only get a $750k two way contract from a bad team.

:help:

Chin up man. Have you read up on him?

As it stands he already surpasses a number of guys already signed depending on which parts of his game you value. He's got good possession stats, above-average point production for a 4th liner, and at the top of his game he is a serviceable 3rd-liner.

The cost of the contract and two-way status is a feather in the cap for our negotiating team, not a direct reflection of Galiardi as a player. Is Thorburn better than him because he makes over 1 mil? I can think of many other contracts on this team to get down on.

If you're serious about this team, it is hard NOT to like this signing. If he has a rebound season we will have gotten more than what we paid for, and if not we can send him to the A and give some other players a shot. Win-Win imo.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB

As it stands he already surpasses a number of guys already signed depending on which parts of his game you value. He's got good possession stats, above-average point production for a 4th liner, and at the top of his game he is a serviceable 3rd-liner.

The cost of the contract and two-way status is a feather in the cap for our negotiating team, not a direct reflection of Galiardi as a player. Is Thorburn better than him because he makes over 1 mil? I can think of many other contracts on this team to get down on.

If you're serious about this team, it is hard NOT to like this signing. If he has a rebound season we will have gotten more than what we paid for, and if not we can send him to the A and give some other players a shot. Win-Win imo.

Great post.

I can understand not liking this signing in the context of what's happened this offseason, or what hasn't happened, I suppose. Looking at it in isolation, it's hard for me to be down on this deal.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Never said he was a bad 4th liner, I'm just saying he's only a 4th liner that was let go by a brutal team. I can't get excited by this signing, he's a depth player who might see very limited ice time, depending on Paul. Mem is all I can say.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Haha like the Halischuk 1 year 'show me' last year.

I showed you I suck!

Here, have another contract! :laugh:

The difference is that now there are just too many to keep them all. And I fully expect Hali to be waived. If he clears he plays in St John's. If not he goes somewhere else. This looks like a last chance for him. If there is any more in him we will see it. If not, see above.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Hey guys, TJ is a great guy and an amazing positive presence in the room, all his teammates love him. I'm not sure if it was from the pressure of playing at home or whatever, but he never consistently found his game for us. Ideally, this is a 3rd line energy player that can skate really well and should be capable of chipping in some offence. But he's not overly physical and last year he didn't score a ton. Anyways, best of luck with him and hopefully he can score about 25 points for you.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
It seems like a strange idea to have someone else pick the headlines? I realize that is what catches a readers attention so perhaps that is why but they have to trust the writer with the article why not the headline? Maybe its a spacing issue? I realize it is standard practice but it seems............

Odd. :dunno:

Unholy goalie

Jul 11, 2011
Never said he was a bad 4th linellr, I'm just saying he's only a 4th liner that was let go by a brutal team. I can't get excited by this signing, he's a depth player who might see very limited ice time, depending on Paul. Mem is all I can say.

I'm not going to try and make you believe that it is a good signing, but it sounds more like you're choosing not to get excited about it. I get it. Most of us around here have been frustrated with the lack of moves this offseason, and when I first saw this news I was like "TJ who? Not another scrub...." When I looked into it though, it made sens and there was enough potential there to get excited about. I'm actually looking forward to seeing what he can do (in the line combos thread I suggested he might do well on a line with Scheif and O'Dell). There is a good chance he doesn't pan out, but this signing addresses one of our top needs in bolstering our bottom 6. There's lots of info here and elsewhere to suggest that he can contribute in a meaningful way. Ignore it if you want.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
It seems like a strange idea to have someone else pick the headlines? I realize that is what catches a readers attention so perhaps that is why but they have to trust the writer with the article why not the headline? Maybe its a spacing issue? I realize it is standard practice but it seems............

Odd. :dunno:
Melissa Martin explained it on Twitter yesterday. Headlines are about sizing and placement as much as anything. The author doesn't know of they have three or thirteen words worth of headline space when they submit the article.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
So .... now Olli and Seto are replaced by Perreault & Galiardi. A clear upgrade I think.

A little what if - Galiardi's sh% last year was <1/2 his career avg. All else being the same we could reasonably have expected him to score twice as many goals, 8 instead of 4. Had he done that his scoring rate/min toi would have been almost identical to Seto's last year.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
So .... now Olli and Seto are replaced by Perreault & Galiardi. A clear upgrade I think.

I'm not so sure. I don't think that Perreault will put up 43 points this year - hope he does. I like the change, Perreault for Olli, but more for the long term as Olli's best years are behind him. But I don't know that this makes the Jets much better this year compared to last year.

Where there was still opportunity to make the Jets a better team this year was the Seto replacement. We needed a true 2nd / 3rd line winger with scoring punch to give us three lines that could legitimately score. That was also part of the discussion when Perreault came on board, so I was expecting much more. As much as we don't like the title of the article about the Jets signing Galiardi, it's true. Maybe he has a career year with the Jets - maybe if I go to Vegas this weekend I can pay off my mortgage next week.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm not so sure. I don't think that Perreault will put up 62 points this year - hope he does. I like the change, Perreault for Olli, but more for the long term as Olli's best years are behind him. But I don't know that this makes the Jets much better this year compared to last year.

Where there was still opportunity to make the Jets a better team this year was the Seto replacement. We needed a true 2nd / 3rd line winger with scoring punch to give us three lines that could legitimately score. That was also part of the discussion when Perreault came on board, so I was expecting much more. As much as we don't like the title of the article about the Jets signing Galiardi, it's true. Maybe he has a career year with the Jets - maybe if I go to Vegas this weekend I can pay off my mortgage next week.

I'm not following you here. Olli & Seto are out. MP & TJ are in. Therefore Olli & Seto ARE replaced by MP & TJ. Olli & Seto combined for 70 points last year. MP & TJ combined fro 60 points last year in fewer games played and fewer min/GP. TJ does not do what Seto was supposed to do but didn't. He is not a 2-3 line tweener. He is a 3-4 line tweener. I'm not looking for him (TJ) to have a career year. Just play the 4th line responsibly, chip in a few goals, 15 points would be great. I'm pretty sure MP will more than replace Olli.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I'm not following you here. Olli & Seto are out. MP & TJ are in. Therefore Olli & Seto ARE replaced by MP & TJ. Olli & Seto combined for 70 points last year. MP & TJ combined fro 60 points last year in fewer games played and fewer min/GP. TJ does not do what Seto was supposed to do but didn't. He is not a 2-3 line tweener. He is a 3-4 line tweener. I'm not looking for him (TJ) to have a career year. Just play the 4th line responsibly, chip in a few goals, 15 points would be great. I'm pretty sure MP will more than replace Olli.

I agree with your assessment. What I am saying is that the objective shoudn't be or shouldn't have been to seek out pretty much like for like replacement from a point production perspective for Olli and Seto. If you aren't going to do anything about the biggest team issue (goaltending), how does the team improve in the offseason if you seek out pretty much like for like performance when replacing Olli and Seto? It is almost like we are shooting for 8th last in the league again this year.

I think that the Olli replacement with Perreault is a good one. Similar although maybe slightly lower point performance this year compared to Olli's 2013-2014, but Olli's production will start to drop off sharply now. Perraults won't / shouldn't. It was a good move.

So having made that move, and made the decision to stick with the worst NHL starting goaltender as your starter, having the same D, what do you have left to improve the team in the off season? A 2-3 tweener, a winger who can score so that you have three legitimate lines that can score. Do what Seto was supposed to do. Then if you run down the Jets forwards, wow, we've got something here. Maurice has assets to put together three solid forward lines - all of which can score. Still lacking depth if someone goes down, but three solid lines with a healthy team.

I realize that is not what we have - but that is what the opportunity was and appears to be lost. That's also what was discussed when they signed Perreault. I believe that we are one solid winger, 2-3 tweener who can score, away from three pretty damn good lines. Then for me the offseason would not be a bust.

Neither of us is expecting TJ to have a career year. That was my point - Olli & Seto are replaced by MP & TJ. Lost opportunity to really improve in the offseason compared to last year.

Edit - I see where we differ. You see MP & TJ as a clear upgrade. I don't see that upgrade clearly. I don't see that making enough point production difference to clearly improve the team's place in the standings at the end of the year.

Last edited:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I'm not so sure. I don't think that Perreault will put up 62 points this year - hope he does. I like the change, Perreault for Olli, but more for the long term as Olli's best years are behind him. But I don't know that this makes the Jets much better this year compared to last year.

When did Jokinen score 62 points in a season for us? :p:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I agree with your assessment. What I am saying is that the objective shoudn't be or shouldn't have been to seek out pretty much like for like replacement from a point production perspective for Olli and Seto. If you aren't going to do anything about the biggest team issue (goaltending), how does the team improve in the offseason if you seek out pretty much like for like performance when replacing Olli and Seto? It is almost like we are shooting for 8th last in the league again this year.

I think that the Olli replacement with Perreault is a good one. Similar although maybe slightly lower point performance this year compared to Olli's 2013-2014, but Olli's production will start to drop off sharply now. Perraults won't / shouldn't. It was a good move.

So having made that move, and made the decision to stick with the worst NHL starting goaltender as your starter, having the same D, what do you have left to improve the team in the off season? A 2-3 tweener, a winger who can score so that you have three legitimate lines that can score. Do what Seto was supposed to do. Then if you run down the Jets forwards, wow, we've got something here. Maurice has assets to put together three solid forward lines - all of which can score. Still lacking depth if someone goes down, but three solid lines with a healthy team.

I realize that is not what we have - but that is what the opportunity was and appears to be lost. That's also what was discussed when they signed Perreault. I believe that we are one solid winger, 2-3 tweener who can score, away from three pretty damn good lines. Then for me the offseason would not be a bust.

Neither of us is expecting TJ to have a career year. That was my point - Olli & Seto are replaced by MP & TJ. Lost opportunity to really improve in the offseason compared to last year.

OK, I see what you're getting at. You are mistaken thinking that Olli scored more than MP last year though, 43 points each. MP did it in much less time. MP is the upgrade TJ is just keeping up. O'Dell is the 3rd line player. I expect him to score at least as much as Seto did last year. I think he is going to surprise a lot of people and fill in that 3rd line quite nicely. He was one of the few 'prospects' who made a substantial contribution to the Caps Calder Cup drive. I wouldn't call O'Dell a 2-3 tweener though. A good 3rd liner is about the limit of his upside.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
I agree with you Mortimer, I honestly don't get why there's so much hesitation around O'Dell. He's been doing exactly what we want Lowry and Lipon to do and probably would've been on the Jets sooner had it not been for his heart problem.

Obviously he shouldn't have no competition for it but based on how well he did there last year I think he'll fulfill a good role on the third line.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Edit - I see where we differ. You see MP & TJ as a clear upgrade. I don't see that upgrade clearly. I don't see that making enough point production difference to clearly improve the team's place in the standings at the end of the year.

I think MP will score more than Olli did. Maybe quite a bit more depending on linemates. But I think he will also be better defensively. I still remember watching Olli in his own end going back and forth, back and forth without going near any op player or the puck. Obviously with no idea what to do so doing nothing. I don't expect TJ to match Seto's scoring playing on the 4th line but he will outscore Wright by quite a bit. Nice upgrade overall. O'Dell, Perreault and whoever gives us a real top 9 and TJ gives us a better 4th line as well. GST(angradi) is possibly a league average 4th. To clearly improve in the standings we need to see a change in net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad