Confirmed with Link: Jets sign T.J Galiardi [1 year, 2 way, 750,000]

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
Wasn't the story on Thorburn that there was competition for him? That was supposedly the reason for the contract. Maybe that was just supposition but I thought Chevy had indicated that.

Wow I never heard that.

I thought that if we didn't sign him, his NHL days were done.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I think Im in the minority but I think Frolik should be on the third line cause Buff and Kane need to both be in the top six.

Why? In today's NHL there is no need for terms like "top 6". You can run 3 lines with relatively even es time. In fact I think it might even be beneficial for Kane to play on "3rd" line with Perreault and get some nice offensive minutes against weaker opponants as the other two lines will attract attention and play the tougher defensive minutes.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I believe Thor's agent said there were a few teams in the mix. Not sure anyone else said it.

If Tanner Glass can still get NHL contracts so can Thorburn.

It's really beside the point. Even if there was teams willing to sign him, when they didn't they would have filled their holes. It's a different scenario now or TC that July 1, which is why Thorburn would no longer have value. Perhaps at the deadline he might again have value.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Why? In today's NHL there is no need for terms like "top 6". You can run 3 lines with relatively even es time. In fact I think it might even be beneficial for Kane to play on "3rd" line with Perreault and get some nice offensive minutes against weaker opponants as the other two lines will attract attention and play the tougher defensive minutes.

Those top two lines intrigue me, Id be interested in seeing it, that's mainly why.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

I'd personally trust Kane, MP and ? to take on tougher assignments than Wheeler, Scheifele and Buff.

That will be one of the biggest issues for this team IMO, finding players who can push possession.

Ladd and Little can do it. Frolik can do it. Kane can do it. MP has done it, but Buff the forward, Scheif and Wheeler are less proven in this regard. I do wonder if it would be wise to separate them some.

Guilty Party

Healthy Scratch 4lyfe
Jan 28, 2013
ThunderBay
I hope Chevy still remembers that the waiver wire works both ways. Don't be afraid to send down waiver eligible players if they make the Jets worse by being with the team.

Addition by subtraction...I like it!
Good addition to the team today! I like it!
Good vibes in this tread too! I like it!

heymikey.jpg

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
This guy seems pretty good for depth...
This is quite useless but almost all of his last-season goals seemed to be backhands :P

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
Right NOW who else would you sign? Useless guys declining like crazy in Penner or Setoguchi? C'mon, this is a better signing than either of those useless players.

I like the signing. I expect more tweeks, but it may be waiver-wire stuff and require patience.

I might be missing something on Penner. He has good rel corsi numbers, decent points, local "kid", and he's going to sign for not much more than 1M. Has he really gotten that bad?

It could be that I watch him with rose-coloured glasses because he's from here, but I think he's a legitimate NHL'er for the next two or three years at the right price. His speed may not fit with the Jets, but surely he could fit somewhere.

Master Scheif

dirt nasty
Jun 7, 2014
Winnipeg
Just watched a bunch of Galiardi highlights, and from his few goals he's scored, it seems he has a quality backhand shot. He's scored quite a few that way. I really hope he can put it all together. He definitely has some pieces to work with.

OK, let me get the blender out here and see what we get.
Kane Little Wheeler
Ladd Scheif Buff
Odell Perrault Frolik

Havent seen that one yet

If you divide Ladd and Little, it opens up some interesting new lines. Thing is, they always play together. I would be curious to see Ladd and Scheif together just purely for entertainment. It would be interesting to see how he plays without Little. They've got good chemistry it seems though, so that probably won't happen.

paul-laus

Jun 20, 2007
Seriously? Galiardi is a quality depth player. Huge improvement on guys like Peluso, Thorburn, Halischuk. He scored 39pts in his rookie year in Colorado a couple of years ago. Had a positive rel Corsi last year on Calgary. This is a quality signing, gives O'Dell real competition for the last top 9 spot.

And this statement speaks volumes all on its own.....the fact that you've got O'Dell and top nine spot (NHL) in the same sentence borders on preposterous... You can accept this as completely legitimate but as an increasingly disillusioned fan, it makes me shake my head....:shakehead

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
And this statement speaks volumes all on its own.....the fact that you've got O'Dell and top nine spot (NHL) in the same sentence borders on preposterous... You can accept this as completely legitimate but as an increasingly disillusioned fan, it makes me shake my head....:shakehead

:laugh: O'Dell has proven to be a top scorer at every single level he has played. HE has shown flashes of some really solid scoring talent at the NHL level as well. He would be challenging for top 9 minutes on every single team in the NHL. Your personal dislike for O'Dell may prevent you from seeing that but it's true. Will he pan out as a top 9 option? Remains to be seen but he has more than earned that chance.

paul-laus

Jun 20, 2007
:laugh: O'Dell has proven to be a top scorer at every single level he has played. HE has shown flashes of some really solid scoring talent at the NHL level as well. He would be challenging for top 9 minutes on every single team in the NHL. Your personal dislike for O'Dell may prevent you from seeing that but it's true. Will he pan out as a top 9 option? Remains to be seen but he has more than earned that chance.

You've got me. My intolerable hatred for all things Eric O'Dell has completely skewed my sense of reality......I know nothing of him as a person and he could be a Pulitzer prize winner for all I care. I reiterate, the fact that you consider him to be a potential top nine player for the Jets speaks to how bush league the team's 7-12 forwards are. (MOD)

Last edited by a moderator:

CanWin

What happens now?
Mar 7, 2014
Winnerpeg
I agree with several posters in the belief that O'Dell will surprise some people and based on his work in the A and up here with more limited ice time, he is a 3rd line player. What I like about the Galliardi signing is the message that it sends to the bottom six: "You are fighting for your NHL career with the Jets this fall." Galliardi is on his way down if the size of his contract is any indication. He has a chance to prove people wrong and knows that a lot depends on how fit he shows up to TC in the fall.

We are set up for some serious competition. The smart players got the message earlier in the summer, but I think everyone will be back on the ice working hard on Tuesday morning. This fits in with Maurice's warning. It is not some much the who of the signings but the process (remember that word?). If people show up in TC ready to do their best and to try their hardest at all times, Maurice can do something with these men.

For the ones that don't succeed, there is always the waiver wire, a lot less pay, and maybe a broken dream or two. The one year contracts speak volumes. On the other hand, for a guy like O'Dell, the waiver wire means that he gets a chance to play somewhere, but perhaps not the Jets. I don't see much chance of him clearing waivers. Winnipeg will want to take a good long serious look at him before they see him succeed somewhere else.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
That's one way to look at it. I see them more as 'show me' contracts. Some will get new, 1 way, probably 2 year contracts and some will be gone. Traded, waived or on the Rock.

Haha like the Halischuk 1 year 'show me' last year.

I showed you I suck!

Here, have another contract! :laugh:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Haha like the Halischuk 1 year 'show me' last year.

I showed you I suck!

Here, have another contract! :laugh:

:laugh: :D

For me, there aren't too many bad 1yr contracts though, and these are 2 way at pretty much league minimum. Decent depth, possible players for St John's, and not much more. I have some hope that Galiardi can pick up his game a bit here, depending on role.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
:laugh: :D

For me, there aren't too many bad 1yr contracts though, and these are 2 way at pretty much league minimum. Decent depth, possible players for St John's, and not much more. I have some hope that Galiardi can pick up his game a bit here, depending on role.

Honestly, YWG, I don't mind the Halischuk signing. The guy might not be my first choice but as a guy that comes in and out of the lineup, and fills in for injuries, he doesn't really bug me. When I see him on the ice, I see a hockey player.

When I see Thorburn on the ice, it seems so sideshow to me. He is just god awful at hockey. If he could at least win a fight or two I might see a tiny bit of value, but he doesn't even do that well.

I'm hoping guys like Halischuk and TJ give us some more capable depth so that Thor's time in the pressbox is much more this year.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Honestly, YWG, I don't mind the Halischuk signing. The guy might not be my first choice but as a guy that comes in and out of the lineup, and fills in for injuries, he doesn't really bug me. When I see him on the ice, I see a hockey player.

When I see Thorburn on the ice, it seems so sideshow to me. He is just god awful at hockey. If he could at least win a fight or two I might see a tiny bit of value, but he doesn't even do that well.

I'm hoping guys like Halischuk and TJ give us some more capable depth so that Thor's time in the pressbox is much more this year.

agreed.

my initial hate for the hali signing was i thought it signified that there would be know "galliardi" type signings.

That we went and picked up one of the better fourth liners out there makes me feel much less sad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad