Prospect Info: Jets Select Patrik Laine 2nd Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I disagree with you, I hate when teams stack lines with all the shots from the same side. You can only cycle in one direction, makes passing players takes longer, pretty much eliminates the backdoor pass ect

I think the Jets top 6 will be

Laine - Scheifele - Ehlers
Perreault - Little - Wheeler

that being said there was multiple times Maurice would play Stafford - Scheifele - Wheeler with Trouba and Byfuglien so Maurice might not agree with me on the nescessity of mixing up right shots and left shots.

I'm not sure having two guys on their off wing should play on the same line. You often play players who shoot a lot as the purpose of having them on their off-wing. They'll therefore likely be cannabalizing each other for scoring chances and also reduce the amount of shooting Scheifele can get done who is also a good shooter.

Imagine Washington had Evander Kane. Would Ovechkin - Backstrom - Kane be something you'd be interested in? It probably wouldn't be terrible, but it wouldn't be the best way to maximize what your players can do if two of them are thinking shoot first all the time.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
I'm not sure having two guys on their off wing should play on the same line. You often play players who shoot a lot as the purpose of having them on their off-wing. They'll therefore likely be cannabalizing each other for scoring chances and also reduce the amount of shooting Scheifele can get done who is also a good shooter.

Imagine Washington had Evander Kane. Would Ovechkin - Backstrom - Kane be something you'd be interested in? It probably wouldn't be terrible, but it wouldn't be the best way to maximize what your players can do if two of them are thinking shoot first all the time.

I don't think Ehlers and Laine are similar players at all, even if both are 'shoot first'. Ehlers skill and speed are his main attributes and he's much more of a puck carrier than Laine. Ehlers is also a very good puck distributor. Ehlers is the guy I want carrying the puck into the offensive zone, Laine is the guy I want shooting it. Ehlers speed and skill should open up Laine a bit and give him some room to get his shot off.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I hate listening/watching Jeff Blair on Sportsnet but this article he wrote is pretty good stuff. If only I didn't hear his voice gratng at me when I read it ;)

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/patrik-laine-winnipeg-always-perfect-fit/

Patrik Laine needs to know this. Desperately. He needs to know that before Teemu Selanne, there was Veli-Pekka Ketola – the first player born in Finland to sign with a North American professional hockey team. And Hexi Riihiranta.

And in and around those Finnish-born players, the history of hockey in Winnipeg is a history of multi-vowelled, buy-a-consonant names and surnames ending in ‘sons’ and ‘stroms.’ In fact Laine, chosen second overall by the Winnipeg Jets Friday night, joins a franchise whose roots stretch deep into Scandinavian soil; a city of few pretensions and much ambition that has traditionally been fertile ground for the launching of an NHL career for players from Finland and Sweden.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I feel like the Journey has come full circle and its the end of the first chapter.

Started when it became obvious the playoffs weren't going to happen and we switched into debating the best path forward winning or tanking to maximize value......that phase lasted too long finishing with the late season run with a youth filled line up. The 6 hole seemed a bit cruel but I was totally at peace with it because management did what they could do and our team just refused to roll over so kudos to the boys. I always maintained wait until after the lottery results to worry.

That was followed by the long LONG wait for the draft lottery. That was agonizing but it led to one of the truly great nights in this young franchises existence when a city waited as time stood still and one by one the teams above us were where drawn as per the plan 14...13....12....11 OMG...10.......9.......8.......7.......oh my god the worst we can do is 6th..........then that snapshot in time when the Flames logo appeared :yo::amazed:... everyone remembers the moment in their lives of where we were when that happened........Chevy's little smile and Burkie's scowl. The Euphoria was palatable. Then the next round where we went into the three team playoff and 1st man down was Columbus and we all went holy **** we are getting top 2 somehow this just got better.......even when the leafs got 1st overall it didn't matter.....we were the big winners really and it happened on the perfect year. That night most of us new we were getting Matthews or Laine.

That led to the next chapter which was the discovery phase of Pate Laine. It was at this point our new Finnish Army entered into a holy alliance with Jets fans vs the Evil Leaf Nation. The battle waged as both boys headed over to play for their respective countries and the rest is history. Us Flatlanders are quick studies and between the WJC intro, the epic playoff MVP run we caught on video clips, and our live viewings of his historic run at the world championships. It became apparent we were witnessing greatness and unless we dropped the ball we were going to end up with a franchise player who was a complete offensive weapon with a high end NHL shot built in.

Last night at the draft I was so pumped because it validated the relationship we were living in since the lotto luck. We no longer were dating we were married. I am thrilled we landed Pate and as I said going into the Lotto draw if we get lucky we could be a contender in 3 seasons. I believe that more today.

After the summer Pate will leave Finnish soil and land in a market that welcomed Teemu......we may be small by NHL standards, a bit cold, and some fans who don't get it poke fun at our city but we are passionate hockey fans, we have a great arena, and our team is on the rise. This will be a perfect place for Patrik and his mom because we are friendly and welcoming and hockey is so important to us.

By September our Finnish friends will need to count on us for 1st hand reports and game day experiences as they transition their chosen son to us. Many late nights and early mornings trying to catch streams of our prized prospect.

I am thrilled we are entering the golden era of 2.0. This upcoming season could go any way but by the following season buckle up because the roller coaster is going to start climbing.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
I feel like the Journey has come full circle and its the end of the first chapter.

Started when it became obvious the playoffs weren't going to happen and we switched into debating the best path forward winning or tanking to maximize value......that phase lasted too long finishing with the late season run with a youth filled line up. The 6 hole seemed a bit cruel but I was totally at peace with it because management did what they could do and our team just refused to roll over so kudos to the boys. I always maintained wait until after the lottery results to worry.

That was followed by the long LONG wait for the draft lottery. That was agonizing but it led to one of the truly great nights in this young franchises existence when a city waited as time stood still and one by one the teams above us were where drawn as per the plan 14...13....12....11 OMG...10.......9.......8.......7.......oh my god the worst we can do is 6th..........then that snapshot in time when the Flames logo appeared :yo::amazed:... everyone remembers the moment in their lives of where we were when that happened........Chevy's little smile and Burkie's scowl. The Euphoria was palatable. Then the next round where we went into the three team playoff and 1st man down was Columbus and we all went holy **** we are getting top 2 somehow this just got better.......even when the leafs got 1st overall it didn't matter.....we were the big winners really and it happened on the perfect year. That night most of us new we were getting Matthews or Laine.

That led to the next chapter which was the discovery phase of Pate Laine. It was at this point our new Finnish Army entered into a holy alliance with Jets fans vs the Evil Leaf Nation. The battle waged as both boys headed over to play for their respective countries and the rest is history. Us Flatlanders are quick studies and between the WJC intro, the epic playoff MVP run we caught on video clips, and our live viewings of his historic run at the world championships. It became apparent we were witnessing greatness and unless we dropped the ball we were going to end up with a franchise player who was a complete offensive weapon with a high end NHL shot built in.

Last night at the draft I was so pumped because it validated the relationship we were living in since the lotto luck. We no longer were dating we were married. I am thrilled we landed Pate and as I said going into the Lotto draw if we get lucky we could be a contender in 3 seasons. I believe that more today.

After the summer Pate will leave Finnish soil and land in a market that welcomed Teemu......we may be small by NHL standards, a bit cold, and some fans who don't get it poke fun at our city but we are passionate hockey fans, we have a great arena, and our team is on the rise. This will be a perfect place for Patrik and his mom because we are friendly and welcoming and hockey is so important to us.

By September our Finnish friends will need to count on us for 1st hand reports and game day experiences as they transition their chosen son to us. Many late nights and early mornings trying to catch streams of our prized prospect.

I am thrilled we are entering the golden era of 2.0. This upcoming season could go any way but by the following season buckle up because the roller coaster is going to start climbing.

rod.gif

Beautiful post. This could be the start of something big.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013

I really didn't want to win the first overall Lottery. I secretly hoped to get the 2 hole. I reeeeeeallly want this guy and I knew we probably wouldn't take him #1.

The signifigance of Stanley vs Cholwoski vs Chychrun is pale by comparison IMO. All of those guys are easily replaceable pieces. Laine is unique.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I don't think Ehlers and Laine are similar players at all, even if both are 'shoot first'. Ehlers skill and speed are his main attributes and he's much more of a puck carrier than Laine. Ehlers is also a very good puck distributor. Ehlers is the guy I want carrying the puck into the offensive zone, Laine is the guy I want shooting it. Ehlers speed and skill should open up Laine a bit and give him some room to get his shot off.

Are you sure? Laine is a puck carrier through and through. So Ehlers would need to be quite the puck hog.

In my opinion, the ideal line partners for Laine are players who:

1. are good passers and 2. don't hold the puck for long.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

But then aren't you limiting the amount of goals you could have as a collective team if you put Ehlers on another line and let him shoot and just put a different fast player with Laine?

Also distribution would be easier if he was on his correct wing - off-wing makes shooting easier and distributing harder as you need to alter your bodies natural angle from being towards the net to instead being towards another player's trajectory. You can pass forwards easily enough but passing sideways means you need to backhand it or pivot your body 90 degrees.

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
But then aren't you limiting the amount of goals you could have as a collective team if you put Ehlers on another line and let him shoot and just put a different fast player with Laine? Also distribution would be easier if he was on his correct wing - off-wing makes shooting easier and distributing harder as you need to alter your bodies natural angle from being towards the net to instead being towards another player's trajectory. You can pass forwards easily enough but passing sideways means you need to backhand it or pivot your body 90 degrees.
Yep. I'm adamant about 3x same handed line if you're running a line with a dedicated off-wing sniper. Ehlers and Laine make absolutely no sense together as far as I'm concerned.

As for the cycling argument, that doesn't even make sense. You can backhand, you can forehand. All the players are skilled enough to do that.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Yep. I'm adamant about 3x same handed line if you're running a line with a dedicated off-wing sniper. Ehlers and Laine make absolutely no sense together as far as I'm concerned.

As for the cycling argument, that doesn't even make sense. You can backhand, you can forehand. All the players are skilled enough to do that.

Sure they can but if you're rushing up the ice most players don't want to have to backhand the puck in order to pass it 90% of the time. I think every single player's forehand passing is better and more accurate then their backhand. Therefore if their main job is distribution to another player, you're going to want them in more situations where they're on their forehand.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Sure they can but if you're rushing up the ice most players don't want to have to backhand the puck in order to pass it 90% of the time. I think every single player's forehand passing is better and more accurate then their backhand. Therefore if their main job is distribution to another player, you're going to want them in more situations where they're on their forehand.
Perhaps, but that holds for every player. I mean, if you have 1 rightie and 2 lefties, you cycle the puck left once and then right the next time? Laine at least can give excellent passes with his backhand, I'd assume that Scheifele and Wheelers can as well~

It in my opinion is far more important to just have the basic setup functional.

So on Laine and puck hogging, there's so much material but the best example is this from 2:36 until the end:

Usually if Laine's looking invisible it's because people don't pass him the puck(And it's not because he's not open to receive one).

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Classic post ps. You spoke for many of us.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Perhaps, but that holds for every player. I mean, if you have 1 rightie and 2 lefties, you cycle the puck left once and then right the next time? Laine at least can give excellent passes with his backhand, I'd assume that Scheifele and Wheelers can as well~

It in my opinion is far more important to just have the basic setup functional.

So on Laine and puck hogging, there's so much material but the best example is this from 2:36 until the end:

Usually if Laine's looking invisible it's because people don't pass him the puck(And it's not because he's not open to receive one).

Cycling the puck is a little different as you'll always have an imbalance given it's 3 forwards and body positioning / player positioning changes based on where you are. I find handedness isn't as important for cycling as it is for rushes.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I really didn't want to win the first overall Lottery. I secretly hoped to get the 2 hole. I reeeeeeallly want this guy and I knew we probably wouldn't take him #1.

The signifigance of Stanley vs Cholwoski vs Chychrun is pale by comparison IMO. All of those guys are easily replaceable pieces. Laine is unique.

Yea despite my initial diaper baby reaction to the Stanley moves that is small picture.... big picture we are sitting pretty and last night was monumental.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
rod.gif

Beautiful post. This could be the start of something big.

Classic post ps. You spoke for many of us.

Thanks boys :handclap:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
So Laine is one of the three Jets making the world cup:

Patrik Laine, Blake Wheeler, Dustin Byfuglien.

Of course, Pavelec as well but...

I'm totally looking forward to watching world cup and seeing how Laine does there. However, I wouldn't be too disappointed even if he went pointless, depending on how he looks.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013

I'm totally looking forward to watching world cup and seeing how Laine does there. However, I wouldn't be too disappointed even if he went pointless, depending on how he looks.

Scheifele Trouba & Hellebuyck are all on team NA.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Don't forget about Scheifele, Trouba and Helly for the North America 23 and younger team.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights

Thanks for that. Great summary of the draft lottery. I think it encompassed how many of us felt listening/watching it live.

I hope one day, in the not-to-distant future, we all get to hear Burkie say, "Winnipeg won a Cup because of a damned lottery!"

rehf

Fueled by Maurice
Feb 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Guys, someone really needs to change Laine's Wikipedia photo. He looks like a homeless person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad