Prospect Info: Jets Select Patrik Laine 2nd Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
"Slightly less explosive..." Let's reserve judgment on that until he's done with the summer training that specifically targets that, shall we?

I doubt many people expected him to go from being a healthy scratch in Mestis(The division below Liiga) playoffs during the summer to generating 12 scoring chances out of 31 total for Tappara in his second game ever as well as eventually winning playoff MVP. Many people have said that that's the greatest leap they've ever seen anyone take during a summer.

Hence, let's see what he does during the summer while working with the guy who's been working on skating with players like Ristolainen and Rantanen while having some noticeable results with them.

Yeah I know, everything is possible but I was making a cautios prediction. Laine had one serious injury which resulted into losing off-season training already. That means he is quite far behind in development, which is a good thing. It is possible Laine becomes as good of a skater but I'd still wager against that. That said I would rather take a bit slower Ovechkin who possess higher overall talent and larger toolbox. Of course at this point we are talking about potential and everything can happen. Laine is better than Ovechkin was at the same age all things considered. Will he be as good in the NHL? Can he become even better? The answers are I think so and it's very much possible, but only time will tell.

Historically speaking there hasn't been an European prospect even close as good resume that Laine has in the draft season. The kid is the brightest gem I've ever seen while actively watching hockey prospects.

Last edited by a moderator:

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
Yeah I know, everything is possible but I was making a cautios prediction. Laine had one serious injury which resulted into losing off-season training already. That means he is quite far behind in development, which is a good thing. It is possible Laine becomes as good of a skater but I'd still wager against that. That said I would rather take a bit slower Ovechkin who possess higher overall talent and larger toolbox. Of course at this point we are talking about potential and everything can happen. Laine is better than Ovechkin was at the same age all things considered. Will he be as good in the NHL? Can he become even better? The answers are I think so and it's very much possible, but only time will tell.

Historically speaking there hasn't been an European prospect even close as good resume that Laine has in the draft season. The kid is the brightest gem I've ever seen while actively watching hockey prospects.

I love having the Finnish contributors finding their way here. it really enriches the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Well, the thing with Ovechkin is that his acceleration was at least in his prime the best in the entire league. It's not even necessary for Laine's to be -that- good. But it in my opinion has the serious potential to become very good nonetheless, especially for a guy with his size. He does have other assets making up for it, anyway.

For some reason, I have a feeling that Laine's skating has more room to improve than most people would expect. For instance, his trainer did specifically say that Laine's still very undeveloped and "raw" physically and he has much that he is still able to work on in comparison to more physically mature players. But the thing is, he already does so well and is already physically ready for NHL in spite of that.

This is another reason why some of us feel that he has pretty unexpected amounts of growth and improvement left in him.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
So in the Heritage Classic we get

Kurri vs Selanne on saturday

And

Puljujarvi vs Laine on sunday

Is it Finnish heritage? :)

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
no one's talking about the smokescreen that Bob McKenzie tweeted, where there was no guarantee that the Jets were going to take Laine.

Looking back, it's pretty clear that Columbus was sending out the signals, not the Jets, to possibly trade down.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yeah, Chevy said he was set on Laine since lottery.

This makes McKenzie lose reliability as a reporter to me.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
So in the Heritage Classic we get

Kurri vs Selanne on saturday

And

Puljujarvi vs Laine on sunday

Is it Finnish heritage? :)

That sounds awesome. Nice2know, cant miss that one, I think they should also have Teemu pass an olympic type of torch symbolic way to Laine :sarcasm: :D

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Surprised this thread only has 5 pages while the Stanley one is going on 22. Is anyone happy we got Laine? I for one am ecstatic, as soon as I heard the T in Tappara I started freaking out.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
no one's talking about the smokescreen that Bob McKenzie tweeted, where there was no guarantee that the Jets were going to take Laine.

Looking back, it's pretty clear that Columbus was sending out the signals, not the Jets, to possibly trade down.

I never bought it and figured we where definitely taking Laine so I was not the least bit worried.

With regards to the player, incredibly happy to now officially welcome him to the fold. Hes going to be a terrific player for us and can't wait for the fall.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I'm f*** thrilled. We watched the Finland - Russia (U20) gold medal game with friends just for the kicks of it. Even the hangover from yesterday doesn't bother me!

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Surprised this thread only has 5 pages while the Stanley one is going on 22. Is anyone happy we got Laine? I for one am ecstatic, as soon as I heard the T in Tappara I started freaking out.

It's expected.

This is a discussion board. Everyone has opinions on Stanley and different takes and arguments with one another.

As for Laine we pretty unanimously like him and there's not much to discuss that hasn't been discussed since we realized we'd won the #2 overall pick.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
Congratulations, Jets! This was exactly what I wanted to happen.

You got yourself an absolute monster. The local media will love him, too - he is a nice guy to interview and he actually gives real answers and opinions instead of the usual North American blatant and politically correct BS.

Your PP just went from horrible to scary. Buff on the right side blueline and Laine as the sniper on the left. Add in Scheifele etc and the end product is a complete nightmare to defend against.

Please please please use him as LW!!!!

ganiseri

Feb 3, 2014
Now it is official, im becoming a jets fan. Suomi, perkele, viina ja kirves

Laine is going to be a beast.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Laine as RW would make absolutely no sense.

He needs passes from either front of him or from the right.

Laine has to be a center or LW. RW is the one position that he should not play under any circumstance.

rehf

Fueled by Maurice
Feb 15, 2013
Winnipeg

Laine has to be a center or LW. RW is the one position that he should not play under any circumstance.

I'm with you, I don't understand why every media place has him as RW. Even the Jets list him as a RW.

Hopefully he's utilizied as a LW though.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland

I hope he can play LW. If they need him to be RW, then it time to adapt for him. Great wingers can play both wings effectively. Eager to see where they see him but I'm sure Laine will tell them where he's playing the latest.

Great fit for Winnipeg and the Jets are gonna be the team I'll keep eyes on, maybe they'll be my second favourite team soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad