Prospect Info: Jets Select Patrik Laine 2nd Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I get the feeling he's going to be used at RW, even though I'd prefer him on LW.

Saw Maurice's interview post-draft. When talking about Ehlers, sounded like he intends to keep Schweelers together to start the year but there will be movement with Ehlers going to right wing. I'm hoping what he plans with that is putting Laine on left wing. Might not happen right away, but fingers crossed it's sooner than later.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Laine will be LW. Maurice isn't a coach that cares about which way a player shoots he'll play them all over the line up

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I'm just hoping Laine gets paired up with some of our best playmakers. Which I'm sure is what Maurice is thinking as well. Laine + Perreault vs. easy matchups is tasty for example.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Saw Maurice's interview post-draft. When talking about Ehlers, sounded like he intends to keep Schweelers together to start the year but there will be movement with Ehlers going to right wing. I'm hoping what he plans with that is putting Laine on left wing. Might not happen right away, but fingers crossed it's sooner than later.

That is an awesome name for that line!

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I mean, it makes absolutely no sense in Jets' point of view either. They are light on LWs. It was the position of greatest need.

The handedness with Scheifele works perfectly together like that as well. Add in a playmaking and net-driving RW-R(Wheeler) and you have 2 linemates who are able to give quality passes to Laine. Wheeler isn't old either, I'm sure he has at least like 5 good years left in him.

The left-shooters can look for a different line in my opinion.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012

Where is this interview? I'd like to hear what Maurice has to say

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
OK, someone please explain that. It makes no more sense to me in English...

Finland, the devil, liquor and axe.

Maybe something lost in translation?

It's just the "unofficial symbols" (or you could say stereotypes) of Finland put together on a string. :laugh:

Perkele = Finnish swear word, commonly mentioned while performing tasks which need "sisu"
Viina = Refers to our habits of consuming strong alcohol (often during or after beforementioned tasks)
Kirves = Refers to using an axe for forestry tasks as well as violent or threatening purposes

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
I mean, it makes absolutely no sense in Jets' point of view either. They are light on LWs. It was the position of greatest need.

The handedness with Scheifele works perfectly together like that as well. Add in a playmaking and net-driving RW-R(Wheeler) and you have 2 linemates who are able to give quality passes to Laine. Wheeler isn't old either, I'm sure he has at least like 5 good years left in him.

The left-shooters can look for a different line in my opinion.

I disagree with you, I hate when teams stack lines with all the shots from the same side. You can only cycle in one direction, makes passing players takes longer, pretty much eliminates the backdoor pass ect

I think the Jets top 6 will be

Laine - Scheifele - Ehlers
Perreault - Little - Wheeler

that being said there was multiple times Maurice would play Stafford - Scheifele - Wheeler with Trouba and Byfuglien so Maurice might not agree with me on the nescessity of mixing up right shots and left shots.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Well, I disagree with you. I don't see why Ehlers would be on that line as the other off-winger. You can cycle in both directions regardless. Having one off-wing is already pushing it in some manners, having two is completely unnecessary.

If you have a sniper playing their off-wing, you want the center to have the same handedness as them. Ehlers and Scheifele would in that case not, and so what's the point? Both would have difficulties passing to each other and Ehlers wouldn't be able to pass to Laine as well as a RW-R would. Scheifele, Wheeler both shooting on the right side would have the ideal passing ability to Laine. You also can cycle in both directions regardless. I'm firmly of the opinion that when you have an off-wing winger, the entire line should have the same handedness. It's pretty much a process of elimination(Center same hand, no two off-wingers in one line and ta-da, happens naturally).

In Paul Maurice's interview, he commended Patrik Laine's defensive game. "I really really liked what I saw" and "Patrik seems to have that defensive game down... right down"

Good thing that these guys actually watch the games unlike the "professional scouts" and "experts".

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I really think Laine/Scheif/Wheeler could be dominant. That combination of size, skill and speed would be very difficult to match.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Well, I disagree with you. I don't see why Ehlers would be on that line as the other off-winger. You can cycle in both directions regardless.

If you have a sniper playing their off-wing, you want the center to have the same handedness as them. Ehlers and Scheifele would in that case not, and so what's the point? Both would have difficulties passing to each other and Ehlers wouldn't be able to pass to Laine as well as a RW-R would. You also can cycle in both directions regardless.

I'm firmly of the opinion that when you have an off-wing winger, the entire line should have the same handedness.

In Paul Maurice's interview, he commended Patrik Laine's defensive game. "I really really liked what I saw" and "Patrik seems to have that defensive game down... right down"

Good thing that these guys actually watch the games unlike the "professional scouts" and "experts".

If you have a right handed LW its easier for their center to set them up for one time passes if the center shoots left. You don't have to bring the puck all the way across your body and its more of a horizontal pass coming from a LS and has to be more diagonal from a RS to land it in the sweet spot. Ovechkin and Backstrom are a perfect example of a great RS-LS duo.

When all your players sticks shoot right you can only cycle to the left if you want to keep the puck facing the boards. It eliminates the drop pass to a opposite shooting linemate to quickly change the cycle direction which is how a lot of space gets opened up.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I disagree with you, I hate when teams stack lines with all the shots from the same side. You can only cycle in one direction, makes passing players takes longer, pretty much eliminates the backdoor pass ect

I think the Jets top 6 will be

Laine - Scheifele - Ehlers
Perreault - Little - Wheeler

that being said there was multiple times Maurice would play Stafford - Scheifele - Wheeler with Trouba and Byfuglien so Maurice might not agree with me on the nescessity of mixing up right shots and left shots.

I don't know if it will be Laine-Scheifele-Ehlers to start but I have little doubt that will be our future #1 line and will be considered one of the top few in the league within a couple years.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Possible, possible. Well, I guess we will see if they can make double off-wing work.

I really would like to hear some information regarding their summer plans and whether Laine will take part in things like the prospect camps or if he'll be able to do training during that time as he'll have kind of a tight schedule for the summer.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Possible, possible. Well, I guess we will see if they can make double off-wing work.

I really would like to hear some information regarding their summer plans and whether Laine will take part in things like the prospect camps or if he'll be able to do training during that time as he'll have kind of a tight schedule for the summer.

Ehlers takes of advantage of the off wing a little differently than Laine. He has a ton of speed entering the zone and often makes hard moves to the middle after gaining entry when he has the puck putting himself in a shooting position but more often bringing the defense with him and then he dishes it off. As you will soon see Scheifele is turning into an exceptional talent and will draw defenders to him and find the open man. He has a very good shot himself with a quick release that needs to be respected as well. I just think the talent those 3 bring will be something special.

In terms of summer plans development camp is July 3-7 and there will be a running commentary around here. I'm pretty sure Aavco has the keys to open up the ice-plex in the morning and sets the alarm when he leaves.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I love having the Finnish contributors finding their way here. it really enriches the forum.

Boy I will second that motion. Great having so many Finnish fans all helping us bring Laine into the NHL. Sooo looking forward to seeing what a difference he will make to the team this year -- even with the natural adjustments, I'm 100% convinced he will have an emormous contribution & willl single-handedly turn us into a contender. Thanks again Finland for sharing your time and your talents with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad