Prospect Info: Jets Select Patrik Laine 2nd Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
No, I'm not underestimating Ehlers at all. He just is a left-handed shot and that is all.

For a line like this, everything feeds to the shooter. You want Laine to always be able to one-time off a pass. Passing to the left is by far the most comfortable for right-handed shots. You want the center, the right winger, and the right defenseman to all be right-handed so that they all can comfortably give a quality pass to Laine for a green shot one-timer high quality chance that crosses the middle of the ice(Those have like a 30% chance to score(straight in or off a rebound) on average and that is going to be much, much higher for a shooter like Laine). When you have an asset like this and the chance to maximize its impact, you in my opinion should do so.

A player like Ehlers would of course be -possible- if there is no alternative, but when someone like Wheeler exists and gives you a perfect "everyone-feed-the-shooter"-setup, there is no reason at all to go out of your way to stick Ehlers in there. Especially as I just consider Wheeler straight up better and he'll be useful in a leadership role for the young Laine.

Now, saying Ehlers is a better passed than Wheeler is debatable at best. Nevertheless, even if that was true, the handedness would certainly tip it in Wheeler's favor. He just had over 50 assists. I doubt he's all that bad at passing.

Also, Laine doesn't really need someone to bring the puck to the zone, Laine can do that himself.

I remember of few of the Caps fans were saying the main reason Carlson was on the point on the PP was because he was right handed and that made it easier to feed Ovi. The good news is the Jets have Buff bombing from the point on the #1 PP unit and either Trouba or Myers on the 2nd unit.

I heard an interview on RR today (on 1290) with Shawn Roarke who is in Finland covering the team (they don't have the podcast up yet so I am winging it here) and he said when he talked to Barkov today the thing Barkov marvelled at about Laine was that even if you send him a "wobbly" (bad) pass he has no problem hammering a great shot. Barkov was mentioning how Laine already has one of the best shots in the NHL (I know he referenced Stamkos as a comp) and he isn't in the league yet. This aligns with what Ferraro mentioned at the World Championships when he was talking about how big a target Laine is and that he can shoot off his back foot or front foot and adjust so well that the sweet spot to set him up is huge.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I can see that happening eventually but I don't see this team putting unnecessary pressure on Laine. There will come a time when he will be depended on in the way you suggest, but that is not how the Jets are approaching it this season. They are in the long game with him. I don't see Maurice having the same urgency. Laine will be given opportunities to shine, but he will not be rushed in any manner. He needs to develop more than he needs to play with Wheeler on day 1.

The good news is that even in our little town on the prairie Fishbowl that eats its young this is going to seem like a slumber party compared to the media scrutiny he is under in Finland.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I remember of few of the Caps fans were saying the main reason Carlson was on the point on the PP was because he was right handed and that made it easier to feed Ovi. The good news is the Jets have Buff bombing from the point on the #1 PP unit and either Trouba or Myers on the 2nd unit.

I heard an interview on RR today (on 1290) with Shawn Roarke who is in Finland covering the team (they don't have the podcast up yet so I am winging it here) and he said when he talked to Barkov today the thing Barkov marvelled at about Laine was that even if you send him a "wobbly" (bad) pass he has no problem hammering a great shot. Barkov was mentioning how Laine already has one of the best shots in the NHL (I know he referenced Stamkos as a comp) and he isn't in the league yet. This aligns with what Ferraro mentioned at the World Championships when he was talking about how big a target Laine is and that he can shoot off his back foot or front foot and adjust so well that the sweet spot to set him up is huge.

Laine's shot is in a special category, pure and simple. But he is much more than just a great shot. He has marvelous hands, makes terrific passes and has very good vision and hockey sense. Combined with his size and improving skating, he is going to be a multi-faceted offensive weapon, much more (in my opinion) than a more one-dimensional scorer like Brett Hull or Ovi. He might not ever score like them, but I think he'll be better at improving the productivity of others on his line. I see his potential more in the Jamie Benn category, though perhaps as a better goal-scorer.

ijuka

May 14, 2016

Yes, he can shoot very well even off bad passes, but that doesn't mean he doesn't shoot better off actually good passes.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Laine's shot is in a special category, pure and simple. But he is much more than just a great shot. He has marvelous hands, makes terrific passes and has very good vision and hockey sense. Combined with his size and improving skating, he is going to be a multi-faceted offensive weapon, much more (in my opinion) than a more one-dimensional scorer like Brett Hull or Ovi. He might not ever score like them, but I think he'll be better at improving the productivity of others on his line. I see his potential more in the Jamie Benn category, though perhaps as a better goal-scorer.

I think that's something the hfboard keeps missing. He wasn't drafted number 2 overall just for his shot. If all he was a good shot we would've drafted puljajarvi(or whoever you spell his name

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Rask said the same, he had heard about his shot a lot and after practising with him he said yep he already has one of the best shots.
Said it's something special.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
9 minute clip on sportsnet with selanne talking about laine on what he expects from him this year.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
http://www.iltalehti.fi/jaakiekko/2016090622271074_jk.shtml

They are making a book thanks to the WJC win and it tells how much Laine and Pulju were stressing before games :sarcasm:

Björkqivst says on game days he couldn't even watch movies, it was difficult to get anything done because his thouhts were on the game.

Were as Pulju and Laine,

Jokaisena pelipäivänä vedimme sellaiset kolmen, neljän tunnin päikkärit. Ei se varmaan ole ihan optimaalinen mitta päiväunille, mutta ihan ok näytti kulkevan niinkin, Laine muistelee.

Herrat eivät juurikaan keskustelleet pelikuvioista. Jos jotain käytiin läpi, kyseessä oli epäonnistumisten pikainen purkaminen. Pääpaino oli nukkumisessa.

- Saman tien kun tulimme syömästä, löimme huoneen pimeäksi. Nukuimme muistaakseni vähän yli viiteen, kun kuudelta oli lähtö hallille. Olisi varmaan ollut aika tylsä päivä, jos ei olisi nukkunut niin pitkään.

Every game day we slept something like 3,4 hour afternoon naps. Doubt that's optimal but looking at the games we did alright.

We really didn't talk about game stuff, if we talked about something we went through the mistakes quickly, the focus was on sleeping.

Right after we got back from a lunch we switched the lights off and started sleeping, we got up after 5 and left to the arena around 6, would have been boring days without afternoon naps.

Gotta love it, the whole country is watching, other teammates are swetting and our 2 star players are taking 3-4 hour naps :laugh:

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
http://www.iltalehti.fi/jaakiekko/2016090622271074_jk.shtml

They are making a book thanks to the WJC win and it tells how much Laine and Pulju were stressing before games :sarcasm:

Björkqivst says on game days he couldn't even watch movies, it was difficult to get anything done because his thouhts were on the game.

Were as Pulju and Laine,

Jokaisena pelipäivänä vedimme sellaiset kolmen, neljän tunnin päikkärit. Ei se varmaan ole ihan optimaalinen mitta päiväunille, mutta ihan ok näytti kulkevan niinkin, Laine muistelee.

Herrat eivät juurikaan keskustelleet pelikuvioista. Jos jotain käytiin läpi, kyseessä oli epäonnistumisten pikainen purkaminen. Pääpaino oli nukkumisessa.

- Saman tien kun tulimme syömästä, löimme huoneen pimeäksi. Nukuimme muistaakseni vähän yli viiteen, kun kuudelta oli lähtö hallille. Olisi varmaan ollut aika tylsä päivä, jos ei olisi nukkunut niin pitkään.

Every game day we slept something like 3,4 hour afternoon naps. Doubt that's optimal but looking at the games we did alright.

We really didn't talk about game stuff, if we talked about something we went through the mistakes quickly, the focus was on sleeping.

Right after we got back from a lunch we switched the lights off and started sleeping, we got up after 5 and left to the arena around 6, would have been boring days without afternoon naps.

Gotta love it, the whole country is watching, other teammates are swetting and our 2 star players are taking 3-4 hour naps :laugh:

I'm 3x their age and I don't need afternoon nappies. Boring days? That's why they invented strip clubs, Patrik. :laugh:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Laine will play LW at World Cup. Jokinen will switch on right.

Laine - Barkov - Jussi Jokinen

Power-play setup will be:

-------- Komarov (net-front)

Laine ---- Jokinen ---- Barkov

--------- Vatanen (point)

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010

Selänne: It'll feel easier to play in the NHL regullar season after playing in World Cup which has best players and higher tempo.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I prefer his current height its not basketball.

Who said this is about basketball?
So basically PATRICK LAINE with the same skills at 6'7", you don't want. You prefer him at 6'4"?

Anyways i don't think he will grow to that size anyways. Just imagining him with that reach and skill.:popcorn:

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Wiping drool off my chin.

Again

When Rask has trouble making the saves when he has time to align and prepare for the shot from a distance, you know your shot is adequate for NHL. Rask isn't at his best now, but there are still worse goalies out there. At least the back-ups. Rasks reaction time is world class.

Even a shot just equal to Stamkos' is enough for me as a starting point. Laine has plenty of time to improve from there.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I just can't wait to start seeing him in action. Win or lose, we are going to have a very good young team that's going to be very entertaining while they learn the ropes.

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal

Selänne: It'll feel easier to play in the NHL regullar season after playing in World Cup which has best players and higher tempo.

Nice video interview. I half expected Selanne to stop talking and shout on the ice below" QUIET! WE ARE TRYING TO DO AN INTERVIEW!"

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Terrific

Very well spoken. Still think we need a couple of these intelligent, hockey wise, former Jets in our management group. I think it would payoff long term having guys like him and Dale H. In management. Rather than the skate sharpener/V.P./yes man/ henchman they have now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad