Prospect Info: Jets Select Patrik Laine 2nd Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
It was Tuomas Nyholm / Vesa Rantanen's show, they were citating Pekka Rautakallio if I got the name right, who is Laine's physical trainer anyway.

Those reporters are quite accountable, but they might use color pencil on their talks. If they call Laine's summer a pancake, it could mean its only compromised by draft, playoffs, whc and surgery and now World Cup. Well, tbh, that sounds like pancake to me, too. If he had any progress, it could be called a good summer when you take all that into account.

That goes for every prospect that get drafted, all of their offseasons were cut short and aren't as easy.
Next offseason will be interesting to see how he does.

But didn't Laine say that he spent the same amount of time in Turku this offseason than he did in the last?

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
And I agree.

Laine Wheeler
Connor Ehlers

IMO make the best combos.

He is going to be a main piece for Finland, its going to be an instant measuring stick for the kid, against the absolute best in the world. Cant wait

The chance to show what he's got comes with a price. If he only manages 0.5PPG or lower at the world cup in his designated role, he will become a national laughing stock. My guess is anything lower than PPG and there will be second guessing on Laine's role as a first liner all over finnish media.

He will get his chances to shine. And he better shine.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
And I agree.

Laine Wheeler
Connor Ehlers

IMO make the best combos.

He is going to be a main piece for Finland, its going to be an instant measuring stick for the kid, against the absolute best in the world. Cant wait.

Ehlers is also an excellent and very fast puck-handler. In the future, I could see him playing with Laine effectively. But a line of Laine, Scheifele and Wheeler could be huge and terrifying for the opposition.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
The risks seem to just increase. Word from the international tournaments board is Laine plays 1st line LW. And plays the blueline with Sami Vatanen on PP1. He better not hit those shinpads or try a toe drag on the PP . Vatanen/Barkov are the right guys to feed him though. GPG tournament or total failure, I don't see a middle ground. :laugh:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
The risks seem to just increase. Word from the international tournaments board is Laine plays 1st line LW. And plays the blueline with Sami Vatanen on PP1. He better not hit those shinpads or try a toe drag on the PP . Vatanen/Barkov are the right guys to feed him though. GPG tournament or total failure, I don't see a middle ground. :laugh:

Not at the first practice according to Sean Reynolds

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The chance to show what he's got comes with a price. If he only manages 0.5PPG or lower at the world cup in his designated role, he will become a national laughing stock. My guess is anything lower than PPG and there will be second guessing on Laine's role as a first liner all over finnish media.

He will get his chances to shine. And he better shine.

Which would be rubbish.
It's few games, we have zero elite wingers, zero snipers outside of Laine.
This team is one of the worst on paper, we should not be expecting miracles from this team or from Laine.

Barkov is the best player, and Laine is the best option for Barkov to finish the plays he creates.

Not at the first practice according to Sean Reynolds

He has those the wrong way, Donskoi is Rw on finnish articles, Granlund LW.

http://www.iltasanomat.fi/jaakiekko/art-2000001254246.html

Leijonien ketjut harjoituksissa:
Patrik Laine-Aleksander Barkov-Jussi Jokinen
Mikael Granlund-Mikko Koivu-Joonas Donskoi
Teuvo Teräväinen-Valtteri Filppula-Jori Lehterä
Lauri Korpikoski-Erik Haula-Leo Komarov
13. hyökkääjä Sebastian Aho

Olli Määttä-Rasmus Ristolainen
Jyrki Jokipakka-Sami Vatanen
Esa Lindell-Ville Pokka
7. puolustaja Sami Lepistö

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Which would be rubbish.
This team is one of the worst on paper, we should not be expecting miracles from this team or from Laine.

He has those the wrong way, Donskoi is Rw on finnish articles, Granlund LW.

He wouldn't be the first reporter to screw up lines or pairings that way

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Which would be rubbish.

Leijonien ketjut harjoituksissa:
Patrik Laine-Aleksander Barkov-Jussi Jokinen
Mikael Granlund-Mikko Koivu-Joonas Donskoi
Teuvo Teräväinen-Valtteri Filppula-Jori Lehterä
Lauri Korpikoski-Erik Haula-Leo Komarov
13. hyökkääjä Sebastian Aho

Olli Määttä-Rasmus Ristolainen
Jyrki Jokipakka-Sami Vatanen
Esa Lindell-Ville Pokka
7. puolustaja Sami Lepistö

Am I old or is that defense young? Could almost go as the U23 defense.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Am I old or is that defense young? Could almost go as the U23 defense.

I've been looking at it as an u23 defense basically, but just worse than the real u23 team is icing.

This is a transition time for us, we see the potential but have to wait for few years to really have a chance.

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
Selanne offering gold advice. One of the best passers in the league happened to be Housley who in large part had allowed the Finnish flash to rack up all those goals. Who does Laine have? Myers?

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Selanne offering gold advice. One of the best passers in the league happened to be Housley who in large part had allowed the Finnish flash to rack up all those goals. Who does Laine have? Myers?

hope that it's Morrissey this year (eventually).
but Enstrom's a good passer. don't forget that.

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
And Byfuglien.

That is very true. Towards the end of last season, I remember Buff finding Ehlers with some very creative passes. Seems Buff has the high IQ needed to play with top shelf players and enjoys having a supporting cast the can be very dangerous if given the puck at the proper time and space.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
And Byfuglien.

the problem is that people make the Housley reference and it's so out of place. such a different game now. the stretch pass is so hard to do when you have trap Ds in place.

instead, i think that teams have to find other ways to open the ice, but for guys like Ehlers, Connor, Wheeler and *maybe* Laine (eventually) i'm thinking that you'll want them to get the puck with a full head of steam at their own blue line vs stretch pass.

i think that we're in for an adjustment period for Laine. he can't just bulldog himself around Ds like he did in Europe. he has to refine his skating a bit or else he'll just be stopped in his tracks. Here's hoping that Blake Wheeler could be Laine's point of reference. learn how to use your body and skate like Wheeler and you're one hell of a weapon when in motion

ijuka

May 14, 2016
We had a short Laine interview here:

http://www.iltalehti.fi/jaakiekko/2016090522266630_jk.shtml

I'll summarize this interview in English.

Reporter: "How much do you want to show players like Mark Scheifele and Jacob Troube(Your future teammates) what you've got and what you are able to do?"

Laine: "It's of course going to be good to show the guys that I've been training during the summer and can play with them this year. But of course, I don't want to take all their confidence away when the entire season is still ahead so let's see what the situation is like afterwards.

Reporter: "The line is now the same as in the last WHCs so you have some familiar buddies with you. How important do you think it is that you are used to each other and have trained together for a long time?"

Laine: "It'll probably help quite a bit. The WHCs went really well. Still, it probably doesn't really matter who I'm playing with as the other guys are all such good players that it'd likely work out with anyone. Still, it's nice that I can at least begin this tournament playing with these guys.

Reporter: "You are now playing on the left wing like last spring?" (My comment: OPEN YOUR EYES, REPORTER GUY!)

Laine: "No, last spring I played on the right wing and that was a bit... I rather play on the left wing so it's good that we switched it around so it'll be a bit more comfortable.

Reporter: "How did you reach this conclusion? Did you have a discussion about this?"

Laine: "No not really, Marjamäki just said that I'm the left wing and Jussi is right so I just went to the left." (My comment: There's a reason Marjamäki is my favorite Finnish coach)

Reporter: "And that suits you really well?"

Laine: "Yeah, I was pleased to hear the decision that I am going to be playing on the left wing."

Reporter: "How many more kms have you accumulated for your BMW?"

Laine: "I haven't counted but a couple of thousand km as I've been traveling between Turku and Tampere."

Reporter: "You have changed the brand of your stick...(Rest I can't make out due to ambient noise)"

Laine: "Yeah, I've been testing all sorts of sticks during the summer and Bauer fit in my hand well so we're going to test it for these real games as well."

Reporter: "And you can shoot well with it?"

Laine: "Well, pretty decently at least. I believe that I can probably score a goal or two with it at some point in time."

Reporter: "Was it a lot of trouble, switching the sticks?"

Laine: "No, I just tested a couple of sticks and that one was pretty good so I decided to order a few of those."

Reporter: "And the same flexes and paddles?"

Laine: "Yeah, everything else's the same too and the guy's the same as well, so..

Reporter: "The guy's the same? So he hasn't improved at all?"

Laine: "Well, I've improved but the guy's the same so, I haven't really changed even though I hopefully have gained some more strength."

Reporter: "And the flex is the same even though the guy's stronger?"

Laine: "Well yeah, uh... It's a little more stiff but it's still such that one should be able to shoot well with it."

So what we can take away from this is:

#1: Morreale is dumb for saying Laine is a RW for NHL.com, same with all those other scouting sites.

#2: Laine has become stronger

#3: He now uses a slightly higher Flex stick but it should function the same way as the last one. This probably means that Laine can add power to all of his shots.

Props to the last reporter for seemingly knowing something about the sticks. He clearly wasn't some random reporter who asks nonsense questions.

Now part two of my post, some stuff in the text:

Laine:

"I'm now in better condition than during the spring. My last spring's level wouldn't be good enough for anything."

"My strength and explosiveness have increased. Hopefully I can transfer my improved lifts to the rink as well."

"It's a great tournament and I'm proud that I've managed to get myself here. I'm going to the tournament excited, bravely and without preconceptions."

"In Toronto, my goal is to be able to play and so that I'm not completely run over. The goal is to play so that I don't have to sit in the press box."

About small rink size:

"In practice I've been bumping into the sides of the rink a little as I'm used to the larger rink of Hakametsä. Hopefully, it'll be commonplace to play in the small rink during the next season, so World Cup is good practice in that regard as well."

I wonder if this was everything. The highlight of the interview to me was Laine saying that he doesn't want to take all the confidence of Scheifele and Trouba away by being too good.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Something we really need to remember when watching Laine at the World Cup.
He's playing with Barkov which means he's playing against the best players/lines in the World, if he survives that he's ready for top line/top6 in the NHL.

Also liking that Laine is making it clear he prefers Lw, that's where he is at his best.

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
HELSINKI, Finland -- The pressure on Team Finland forward Patrik Laine is immense.

Laine, 18, already is being compared by his countrymen to Teemu Selanne, perhaps the most famous Finnish NHL player of all time.

But if he's feeling any extra pressure, Laine isn't showing it.

"I just want to be brave on the ice and play my own game and our team's game," he said. "After every game we are going to check the result and see how the game was.

"I think I am used to playing under pressure. I don't think that affects me. I want to play hockey. I know I am a good hockey player so I just want to play hockey and have fun on the ice."

Selanne made his reputation with an NHL rookie record 76-goal season in 1992-93 with the Winnipeg Jets, who chose him with the No. 10 pick of the 1988 NHL Draft. He finished his career with 684 goals, the most by any Finland-born player in an NHL career that lasted 1,451 games.

Laine has yet to play a game for the Jets, who selected him with the No. 2 pick in the 2016 draft. He will report to his first NHL training camp after Team Finland concludes play at the World Cup of Hockey 2016.

Yet his promising resume hasn't stopped the outlandish comparisons being generated by the Finnish hockey community, which is desperate for a new, game-changing offensive star.

"Ever since the [2016 IIHF World Junior Championship], the media has been talking about him and it is kind of unfair at times," Team Finland goalie Tuukka Rask said. "They print what kind of car he drives and when he goes to cut his hair and things like that. That's kind of unnecessary and builds up the pressure. But he is a smart kid and he is going to be able to handle that."

Laine (6-foot-5, 206 pounds) had a breakout showing at the WJC, which was played in Helsinki. He tied for the tournament lead with seven goals, and he had 13 points to help Finland win the gold medal. He was named to the all-tournament team.

Then came the playoffs in Liiga, Finland's top professional league. He had 10 goals and five assists in 18 games, helped Tappara win the championship and he won the Jari Kurri Trophy as playoff MVP. He regularly showed a flair for the dramatic, scoring the tying goal in the last minute in three straight games during the semifinal round

More interesting team quotes here

https://www.nhl.com/news/finlands-patrik-laine-handling-high-expectations/c-281557646?tid=278386054

If those measurements are correct he grew taller during the summer

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Laine (6-foot-5, 206 pounds) had a breakout showing at the WJC, which was played in Helsinki. He tied for the tournament lead with seven goals, and he had 13 points to help Finland win the gold medal. He was named to the all-tournament team.

Geez, he had an height spurt from 6"3.75 to 6"5? If true, that'd be massive, literally! Wish there was a way to get a confirmation on that. That's a beast with some wheels! Just imagine when he grows into his body.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Geez, he had an height spurt from 6"3.75 to 6"5? If true, that'd be massive, literally! Wish there was a way to get a confirmation on that. That's a beast with some wheels! Just imagine when he grows into his body.

I heard him him say in a pre draft interview in June that he was 6"4 and 1/2 . So he is probably just rounding up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad