Prospect Info: Jets Select Patrik Laine 2nd Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Who said this is about basketball?
So basically PATRICK LAINE with the same skills at 6'7", you don't want. You prefer him at 6'4"?

Anyways i don't think he will grow to that size anyways. Just imagining him with that reach and skill.:popcorn:

Yup 6'3" or 6'4" max please and thank you. ;)

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
****ing minutes go so slow. Still 39 minutes till the studio part and 69 to the game.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Here is a clip featuring a slow, one-dimensional, offense-only one trick pony player who is useless in the defensive zone and has nonexistent acceleration to boot:

https://streamable.com/d6h1

Just out of curiosity, how fast of a skater is Silfverberg who he caught there? Although to be honest, only the first 5 steps looked serious, then he clearly slowed down. And by the way, I also like how he didn't get caught off guard but did also brake in time.

Last edited:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Here is a clip featuring a slow, one-dimensional, offense-only one trick pony player who is useless in the defensive zone and has nonexistent acceleration to boot:

https://streamable.com/d6h1

Yeah, that was a very nice backcheck. Good defensive awareness, and good effort to come up to full speed to angle the forward off enough that they had to curl and toss the puck to the front of the net.

I loved Laine's comment about Christmas - self-deprecation is a good trait (in addition to being funny :D). Means he knows he can do better.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Yeah, that was a very nice backcheck. Good defensive awareness, and good effort to come up to full speed to angle the forward off enough that they had to curl and toss the puck to the front of the net.

I loved Laine's comment about Christmas - self-deprecation is a good trait (in addition to being funny :D). Means he knows he can do better.

If Manitobans can understand one thing, it's a good self-deprecation. He'll get on fine here.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Absolutely no concerns about this kid, just wait till he gets acclimatized to the NHL game

Agree. Just turned 18. Playing on NHL ice against top end competition. He looked fine, noticeable on most shifts. Jets have never had a prospect so impressive at such a young age. I don't think it'll take long for him to be a force at the NHL level.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Pretty much everyone here has Laine as a lock for our first our second line. Is there any chance he needs another year of development? (as he is only 18 I think)

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Pretty much everyone here has Laine as a lock for our first our second line. Is there any chance he needs another year of development? (as he is only 18 I think)

No he is NHL ready for sure IMO, remember he played against men in a professional league last year and dominated in the playoffs.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Agree. Just turned 18. Playing on NHL ice against top end competition. He looked fine, noticeable on most shifts. Jets have never had a prospect so impressive at such a young age. I don't think it'll take long for him to be a force at the NHL level.

Agreed Whileee!

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009

I think it will be too easy to overanalyze this tournament. It's a very short pre-season tournament. Also even Stanley cup winners don't have a 110-150 million cap in their use. Laine will have lesser quality competition in the NHL than in this game. Yes, even in the first line. Also he will have an adjustment period. At least a month for the level of play, and half a year to adjust to the rink size.

Even then, he looked better than anyone not named Granlund/Barkov and as good as Donskoi/Koivu. It pretty much is a good NHL top six level. Hell Jokinen, a 60point second liner looked even worse.

This competition will make everyone look worse than they are in the NHL. It's not your normal 4th line to have Toews/Bergeron/Tavares as the bottom six plugs. And as I said earlier even when Finland used their last change to get an easy matchup for Laine, it was against an OEL-Hjalmarsson bottom pairing. NHL teams don't have that luxury. It will be a "Bieksa-Stoner" even on a cup contender like the Ducks.

Last edited:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011

pffftht! Of course not. We're a smart bunch around here!

Whileee

May 29, 2010
57% Corsi, +4/-3, although the sample is small with so much ST mins.

Thanks. I was hoping someone was tracking this. Considering how his team was pinned in their own zone a lot at ES my guess is that his relCF% would be high.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Full game highlights soon even though that'll be relatively light. I blame team Finland for collectively sucking. Off the top of my head I'd only say that Barkov was better.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Most 18 y/o are so far away from playing at this level. Laine is playing on the top line on a strong team against the world's best players. While he didn't look great he wasn't out of place. Most kids age are just hoping to get past the 1st round of cuts at the NHL camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->