Prospect Info: Jets Select Patrik Laine 2nd Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
The left D takes his head off. Thats what happens in the NHL. I'm excited about Laine, but its gonna be a huge adjustment.

If the D man goes to take his head off Laine can pretty easily pass to that winger on his right and it will end up being a 2 on 1 with the leftover defender between that winger and the other one streaking up the left who in that image appears to already have a step on the man covering him as he's rotating towards Laine.

pictman

Mar 7, 2012
pictish hills
The hot line,Hawerchuck and Selanne all learned how to deal with whatever was thrown at them . I've been watching the Jets since Hulls signing . I'm trying to temper my expectations but this kid has a real shot at attaining that kind of level,size,amazing skill and that certain something that lifts players of that ilk above others.You can feel it,almost smell it,it's there.:laugh:I'm not doing very well at the tempered expectations.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
If the D man goes to take his head off Laine can pretty easily pass to that winger on his right and it will end up being a 2 on 1 with the leftover defender between that winger and the other one streaking up the left who in that image appears to already have a step on the man covering him as he's rotating towards Laine.

AKA "The Mark Stuart"

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I got big wall poster of Patrik Laine and Jesse puljujärvi in NHL uniforms in Leijonat magazine. Wish I was still teen and could put them to my wall. I would so like to but I just wont now..

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I got big wall poster of Patrik Laine and Jesse puljujärvi in NHL uniforms in Leijonat magazine. Wish I was still teen and could put them to my wall. I would so like to but I just wont now..

I had no probs hanging Laine's jersey on the living room's wall and I'm quite far from the teenage years! :laugh:

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada

Yes, hopefully. From what I've seen his playmaking abilities are also quite impressive. Also we've seen the league trying to curb that "dzone aggression" which might bode well for players like Laine.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

Do It! YOLO!

ijuka

May 14, 2016
The clip is obviously speeded up, you can see it from their movement. But anyways he's got a great hands and while they're probably not underrated, but not talked enough.

You think so? Doesn't look that way to me. The other guy's stick movement for example looks completely natural. And it has sound effects of the sticks hitting against each other and he's trash talking at the same time. It would be pretty elaborate.

These are for a contest, to me speeding it up like that would be cheating...

Last edited:

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
You think so? Doesn't look that way to me. The other guy's stick movement for example looks completely natural. And it has sound effects of the sticks hitting against each other and he's trash talking at the same time. It would be pretty elaborate.

These are for a contest, to me speeding it up like that would be cheating...

It's cheating if you want to think so. I don't really take it as cheating because it's so obvious that they just put it there and it goes well along with the other clips in the video. Sounds can easily be added to it. The other guy basically does nothing with his stick so now it looks like he's trying a bit. Just look at the first movement the other guy makes when Laine goes between his legs, doesn't look real at all...

Wasn't really coming here for this, but it's so obviously speeded up.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It's cheating if you want to think so. I don't really take it as cheating because it's so obvious that they just put it there and it goes well along with the other clips in the video. Sounds can easily be added to it. The other guy basically does nothing with his stick so now it looks like he's trying a bit. Just look at the first movement the other guy makes when Laine goes between his legs, doesn't look real at all...

Wasn't really coming here for this, but it's so obviously speeded up.

Alright, let's see.

https://streamable.com/3tty

Does this to you look about right? To me that's pretty unnaturally slow and I've seen Laine stickhandling faster than that in real matches so I'm not sure why he'd be that slow here.

For the record, I don't see how the guy's movement at the beginning looks any more natural here. Do you?

Especially that first through-the-legs part you are talking about looks like Laine's taking a nap before putting the stick down to handle it. That's why this doesn't seem very accurate.

Well, anyway, that's 87.5% speed. I'd say that that's below the actual speed so if 100% speed is too much, it likely is not even a 10% speedup if one exists at all. That's interesting. Why go through the effort of a sub 10% speed up adding in fake stick clashes?

Last edited:

Booster*

Jan 10, 2016

:laugh:

Yeah like one guy said, frame them, also maybe mix them with pictures of booze, drugs, guns and naked girls and you´re all good ;)

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
:laugh:

Yeah like one guy said, frame them, also maybe mix them with pictures of booze, drugs, guns and naked girls and you´re all good ;)

Haha, this might actually work. :laugh:

On topic,

Iltasanomat world cup speculation episode 8 about Laine said, that his summer trainer said this summer was partly "pannukakku" (basically failure or partly failure) because the draft combine, WHC, World cup, long playoffs ect. Their two analyst wait much easier season from Aho, who got good summer and is also year older.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Haha, this might actually work. :laugh:

On topic,

Iltasanomat world cup speculation episode 8 about Laine said, that his summer trainer said this summer was partly "pannukakku" (basically failure or partly failure) because the draft combine, WHC, World cup, long playoffs ect. Their two analyst wait much easier season from Aho, who got good summer and is also year older.

Sorry so who was making the comments? Were they saying based on the rigors of his schedule last season he might not have progressed as much as they would have liked with his training this summer?

The only thing I would say is that Patrik looks more physically raw and I think (like Schiefle) it may take two or three off seasons for his body to begin to take on that man look like some of his fellow young Fins (Risto, PJ, Rantanen). Honestly to me that is great because there is more runway to improve. Some guys fill out later than others and as long as they are driven (which Laine appears to be) they will get there. In the mean time he is already a high end talent what will it be like when his body transforms?

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Sorry so who was making the comments? Were they saying based on the rigors of his schedule last season he might not have progressed as much as they would have liked with his training this summer?

The only thing I would say is that Patrik looks more physically raw and I think (like Schiefle) it may take two or three off seasons for his body to begin to take on that man look like some of his fellow young Fins (Risto, PJ, Rantanen). Honestly to me that is great because there is more runway to improve. Some guys fill out later than others and as long as they are driven (which Laine appears to be) they will get there. In the mean time he is already a high end talent what will it be like when his body transforms?

It was Tuomas Nyholm / Vesa Rantanen's show, they were citating Pekka Rautakallio if I got the name right, who is Laine's physical trainer anyway.

Those reporters are quite accountable, but they might use color pencil on their talks. If they call Laine's summer a pancake, it could mean its only compromised by draft, playoffs, whc and surgery and now World Cup. Well, tbh, that sounds like pancake to me, too. If he had any progress, it could be called a good summer when you take all that into account.

armyjoe

Nov 15, 2010
I read somewhere that at some point he had same numbers (whatever that means) as at the end of the last summer and he had about month left of training so he most likely did get atleast a bit better even if this summer wasnt the best trainingwise.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It was Tuomas Nyholm / Vesa Rantanen's show, they were citating Pekka Rautakallio if I got the name right, who is Laine's physical trainer anyway.

Those reporters are quite accountable, but they might use color pencil on their talks. If they call Laine's summer a pancake, it could mean its only compromised by draft, playoffs, whc and surgery and now World Cup. Well, tbh, that sounds like pancake to me, too. If he had any progress, it could be called a good summer when you take all that into account.

That's weird because in late july they said it was going well and there shouldn't have been anything in between now and then that would have caused that.

Watching the video, I hear they said "Laine's summer training was a torso" or something like that. His last season's summer was even more of a torso, to be honest(Last season was 5 weeks of proper training). Yet the results...

It seems like they just were referring to his draft and the numerous flights overseas.

Man these guys sound like Aho fanboys.

Oh, and I do question you calling them "reputable" when as I watch this video they are spewing nonsense like "Laine only can compete with players of this level with his shot" when he has numerous other assets. Do these guys understand he was #2 OA and likely would have been #1OA on many years prior? NHL scouts don't pick players who can't actually play the game, calling him only a PP weapon on a team like Finland is ridiculous.

Anyway, Laine first line left wing. And Marjamäki said that "No matter what, these lines will remain as they are for the rest of the tournament", pretty much. But overall, I don't really care about anything apart from Laine being on the left wing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad