Prospect Info: Jets Select Patrik Laine 2nd Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Maurice has said that he will give Laine a chance to do the things he does. He basically said this year is all about learning and fitting in without any pressure of expectations. They want him to develop. Part of that development may involve playing RW and LW. Part of that development might involve playing up and down the lineup at times, playing with different teammates? Call it the Thorburn effect. In the end if we end up with a better player because of the way he gets developed, that is all that matters in the long run.

If he is that much better at LW than RW as some are saying then it will be quite obvious to a smart hockey mind like Maurice. I'm not sure why it causes such consternation to some.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I think where Laine plays will depend largely on his line mates. Personally, I would love to see Ehlers on RW, but think he'll likely start at LW with Scheifele and Wheeler.

Here is what I'd like to see at some point:

Laine-Scheifele-Ehlers
Connor-Little-Wheeler
Perreault-Burmi-Stafford
Dano-Petan-Armia

Ehlers and Wheeler are excellent at carrying the puck and creating plays. Laine and Connor are fantastic "finishers" (Ehlers isn't so bad, either).

I think that Ehlers and Laine could be a dynamic winger pairing, with Ehlers' speed and vision creating space and opportunity for Laine.

I like this, but Laine still needs to develop more and so does Connor. Are they going to both play on the top 2 lines?

I think this would be great for the 18 season, but I don't know if the Jets are ready for that just yet

Tho I have to ask. Why is Burmi the 3rd line C and not Per? All I see on this forum is how Burmi is

Edit: what type of players are dano and armia that would go with petan On the 4th?

Last edited:

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
I like this, but Laine still needs to develop more and so does Connor. Are they going to both play on the top 2 lines?

I think this would be great for the 18 season, but I don't know if the Jets are ready for that just yet

Tho I have to ask. Why is Burmi the 3rd line C and not Per? All I see on this forum is how Burmi is

And is Petan of the 4th line a good thing? Wasn't that another criticism? That he should be playing on a line with more minutes? Or

Petan on the 4th line was a problem because he needs to play with skilled players, not because it was too few minutes. The proposed lineup had an 'all skill' 4th line that would function more like another 3rd line.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Petan on the 4th line was a problem because he needs to play with skilled players, not because it was too few minutes. The proposed lineup had an 'all skill' 4th line that would function more like another 3rd line.

I didn't bother following last season so I unno who's who anymore except the top 2 lines
As in I don't know how our depth performed, etc.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

And is Petan of the 4th line a good thing? Wasn't that another criticism? That he should be playing on a line with more minutes? Or

I don't think all of us hate Burmi. He had a bad year and his advanced stats weren't pretty, though he seemed to be turning it around towards the end with Dano/Armia as linemates. It's a make or break year for him, no question - lots of depth and plenty of young guys that could fill his role as "adequate" so he has to show up. As for Perreault, I think many find him to be better on the wing.

Petan on last year's fourth line with Peluso and Thorburn = bad.
Petan on a fourth line with Armia and Dano = dramatically different role, so not bad. Rather than eating minutes (as few as Maurice can get away with) and hoping to pin the puck along the boards, that kind of fourth line would give other teams fits because they should be quick, aggressive, have good possession and not possess stone hands. Pure novelty for the Jets. Probably too few minutes available for them.

But expect one to go away in the expansion draft (Armia/Dano), lose Stafford one way or another by end of season and if Burmi doesn't dazzle he simply won't be re-signed. Whilee's lineup doesn't even include Matthias or Lowry.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I don't think all of us hate Burmi. He had a bad year and his advanced stats weren't pretty, though he seemed to be turning it around towards the end with Dano/Armia as linemates. It's a make or break year for him, no question - lots of depth and plenty of young guys that could fill his role as "adequate" so he has to show up. As for Perreault, I think many find him to be better on the wing.

Petan on last year's fourth line with Peluso and Thorburn = bad.
Petan on a fourth line with Armia and Dano = dramatically different role, so not bad. Rather than eating minutes (as few as Maurice can get away with) and hoping to pin the puck along the boards, that kind of fourth line would give other teams fits because they should be quick, aggressive, have good possession and not possess stone hands. Pure novelty for the Jets. Probably too few minutes available for them.

But expect one to go away in the expansion draft (Armia/Dano), lose Stafford one way or another by end of season and if Burmi doesn't dazzle he simply won't be re-signed. Whilee's lineup doesn't even include Matthias or Lowry.

It's probably premature to write players like Matthias and Lowry out of the line-up, but I think Petan is almost ready. I actually expect bounce back years from Burmi and Lowry, and Stafford might have a big year heading to UFA. The Jets have fantastic depth up front. Some very good players are going to be in the PB or with the Moose, unless they pull of a trade or two.

rehf

Fueled by Maurice
Feb 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Putting Laine anywhere other than the top 2 lines would be a waste, he needs to play with our best.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I think where Laine plays will depend largely on his line mates. Personally, I would love to see Ehlers on RW, but think he'll likely start at LW with Scheifele and Wheeler.

Laine-Scheifele-Ehlers
Connor-Little-Wheeler
Perreault-Burmi-Stafford
Dano-Petan-Armia

Ehlers and Wheeler are excellent at carrying the puck and creating plays. Laine and Connor are fantastic "finishers" (Ehlers isn't so bad, either).

I think that Ehlers and Laine could be a dynamic winger pairing, with Ehlers' speed and vision creating space and opportunity for Laine.

Fine but thats a terrible waste of Perrault on the third line there. Far rather Petan Armia slip up there and Stafford/Burmi go wherever

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Laine-Scheifele-Ehlers
Connor-Little-Wheeler
Perreault-Burmi-Stafford
Dano-Petan-Armia

Agree with you but I'd drop Burmi to the 4th push Petan or Dano on the LW on the 3rd and MP center on 3rd. Also need to find a spot for Matthais. They didn't sign him for $2 M to sit in the PB. maybe on the 4th over Armia.

angrymnky

May 31, 2011
Winnipeg
Switch dano and Stafford and that's what I'd like to see

I know it's not all about scoring but 5th best forward in points and 4th in shooting percentage on the team and you're fourth line?

If he'll need to get traded try to help make him look a little good.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Laine and Ehlers together forever. Ehlers gains the blue line as Laine catches up to finish.

I still don't get this... playing two off-wingers together makes little to no sense and is detrimental overall, especially when you have a player like Laine. The other winger really needs to be right-handed. This should only be done if there is no other option. Considering that Wheeler exists, I personally hope we'll practically never see this.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Laine and Ehlers together forever. Ehlers gains the blue line as Laine catches up to finish.

I think eventually (maybe even by the end this season) Laine-Scheif-Ehlers will form one of the most dynamic offensive lines in the league.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I still don't get this... playing two off-wingers together makes little to no sense and is detrimental overall, especially when you have a player like Laine. The other winger really needs to be right-handed. This should only be done if there is no other option. Considering that Wheeler exists, I personally hope we'll practically never see this.

You have both Scheif and Little who are right shots. Ehlers speed opens up lots of room and he often cuts hard to the middle in the opposing end on his forehand. IMO together they will be able to find Laine over and over again in scoring positions.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I have to disagree. I think Ehlers is potentially a fantastic match with Laine because of their style of play. Ehlers is more creative than Wheeler. Still, either of those two would be very good with Laine.

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
You have both Scheif and Little who are right shots. Ehlers speed opens up lots of room and he often cuts hard to the middle in the opposing end on his forehand. IMO together they will be able to find Laine over and over again in scoring positions.

I know they are right shots but they are centers, not wingers. The issue is two off-wingers. The center is optimally right shot as well but it's not as crucial.

I think it's Ehlers, Laine, Connor on Left Wing with Ehlers switching to RW once Connor derserves top 6 minutes. An eventual top 6 of:

Laine Scheif Wheeler
Connor Little Ehlers

Correct, except Perreault's handedness would fit the second line better than Little's so I'd like to see them like that.

Dano - Little - Armia would have pretty optimal handedness, too. It's a strong top 9.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I have to disagree. I think Ehlers is potentially a fantastic match with Ehlers because of their style of play. Ehlers is more creative than Wheeler. Still, either of those two would be very good with Laine.

If you could only clone him ;)

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Still wondering how 10 posters hated the Laine pick. Maybe they were Columbus fans.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I know they are right shots but they are centers, not wingers. The issue is two off-wingers. The center is optimally right shot as well but it's not as crucial.

Correct, except Perreault's handedness would fit the second line better than Little's so I'd like to see them like that.

Dano - Little - Armia would have pretty optimal handedness, too. It's a strong top 9.

Ehlers is not an up and down the wing player. He is very creative and forces the play with his speed. As I mentioned he tends to drive hard to the middle of the ice after gaining the zone. Scheif is also very creative and has one hell of a nice wrist shot himself.

Maybe Laine will be better off with a more standard line with little and Wheeler.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
What did you do, Whileee? Did you clone Ehlers? :D

I only see 3 Jets fans (or at least fans that post regularly) in the voting list, and at least one of them said they voted against him just to be contrarian.

I bettcha they would be pretty good together.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I just thing Ehler's game would be best complimented with Connor on the other side.

Ehlers has a special ability to perform hockey moves at top speeds, a trait also shared by Connor.

This trait is maximized when you can match these players with similiar players, so the have players that can keep up with them and make plays at that speed.

I believe that Ehlers and Connors will form a special on ice relationship that will produce some amazing goals at top speeds.

Laine and Wheeler will form a deadly wing combo as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad