Prospect Info: Jets Prospects

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I agree its not really worth worrying since we wont really know until it happens.

However unlike Copp and Samberg McGroarty has nothing left to prove in college and frankly it could be argued that he's too good for the NCAA and it would be a waste of a year developmentally.

There just isn't precedent for a highly touted prospect having a season as good as him going back for a third year. Cooley, Beniers, Luke Hughes, Sanderson, Caufield, Boldy etc. pretty much every highly productive first round pick signs within 2 years and certainly after they have a big coming out season.

Also just thinking rationally too, if youre Mcgroarty's camp and he's already played 3 seasons in college why not just play a 4th and get to pick which city to start your career in? Every team in the NHL is going to be a suitor. You could say risk of injury but its so rare for top prospects to have career altering/ending injuries
Delete. Wrong thread.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Not much to go on yet so we'll have to see how it plays out.

One thing that could swing him either way is how good he thinks Michigan will be next year. I don't know the makeup of guys leaving and highly touted players coming in, but if a few key players move on, that could sway him too.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
It would be a mistake for him to wait IMO. Just from a monetary perspective. Wait 2 years, worry about getting injured during that time. Give up 2 years till your an UFA and the big money kicks in. 20 is about the perfect age to sign an top tier entry level deal and you get to UFA by 27/28 to maximize your earning potential. Plus if he signs after this season and gets some game time he burns a year of his ELC(which would be a very good negotiation tactic by his camp and is likely the reason we are hearing this because that is exactly what they want to happen and its likely the Jets don't)

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Not much to go on yet so we'll have to see how it plays out.

One thing that could swing him either way is how good he thinks Michigan will be next year. I don't know the makeup of guys leaving and highly touted players coming in, but if a few key players move on, that could sway him too.
There are quite a few that, like him, have 2 years together: Brindley, Hughes, Casey, Nazar - they're all top scorers at Michigan.

But as @JetsWillFly4Ever mentioned, we don't know if that's just speculation or if there's anything real behind it.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
There are quite a few that, like him, have 2 years together: Brindley, Hughes, Casey, Nazar - they're all top scorers at Michigan.

But as @JetsWillFly4Ever mentioned, we don't know if that's just speculation or if there's anything real behind it.
Thanks, that's exactly what I was wondering. So say a few of those guys sign and aren't going back, he may decide going back isn't a great idea.

But agree, too early right now and very little info to worry about it at this point.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
McGroarty not being a top 10 Hobey Baker finalist is...odd.
Looks like he's sitting in 8th for overall scoring.. so add a couple of dmen with less points and a couple or goalies... who knows?

He's also played less games due to his injury. Maybe that hurt his chances (even though it probably should have helped them). He's 4th in points per game

Reactions: kellhunter

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If someone is an expert on the NCAA playoffs please weigh in. My understanding is the winner of the 6 conferences get an automatic seed into the final 16. McGroarty's Michigan team plays Michigan state tonight in the semi-finals of the Big 10 conference. If they go onto win the Big 10 conference they are in the final 16 and playing towards the Frozen 4 in April. But if they get knocked out they still have a chance to move forward as after the conference championships the NCAA selects the next 10 seeds out of teams knocked out of the conference championships to enter the final 16 along with the 6 conference champions. Please confirm or correct for anyone who knows for sure.

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
If someone is an expert on the NCAA playoffs please weigh in. My understanding is the winner of the 6 conferences get an automatic seed into the final 16. McGroarty's Michigan team plays Michigan state tonight in the semi-finals of the Big 10 conference. If they go onto win the Big 10 conference they are in the final 16 and playing towards the Frozen 4 in April. But if they get knocked out they still have a chance to move forward as after the conference championships the NCAA selects the next 10 seeds out of teams knocked out of the conference championships to enter the final 16 along with the 6 conference champions. Please confirm or correct for anyone who knows for sure.
Sounds like they're done, but I don't know anything about NCAA:

EAST LANSING, Mich. -- The 10th-ranked University of Michigan ice hockey team's quest to win a third straight Big Ten Tournament title fell short in overtime on Saturday evening (March 23), as fifth-ranked Michigan State pulled out a 5-4 victory in the 2024 Big Ten Championship Game at Munn Ice Arena.

Which Teams Made The 2024 NCAA Men’s Hockey Tournament?
Here are the 16 teams that made the 2024 NCAA Men’s Hockey Tournament:

Boston College
Boston University
Denver
Michigan State
Maine
North Dakota
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Quinnipiac
Michigan
Omaha
Cornell
Western Michigan
UMass
RIT
Michigan Tech

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg

EAST LANSING, Mich. -- The 10th-ranked University of Michigan ice hockey team's quest to win a third straight Big Ten Tournament title fell short in overtime on Saturday evening (March 23), as fifth-ranked Michigan State pulled out a 5-4 victory in the 2024 Big Ten Championship Game at Munn Ice Arena.

Boston College
Boston University
Denver
Michigan State
Maine
North Dakota
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Quinnipiac
Michigan
Omaha
Cornell
Western Michigan
UMass
RIT
Michigan Tech
?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Boston College
Boston University
Denver
Michigan State
Maine
North Dakota
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Quinnipiac
Michigan
Omaha
Cornell
Western Michigan
UMass
RIT
Michigan Tech
Reading the article Michigan still might get through as there is a 6:30 pm selection show tonight.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Michigan lost in OT…. 5-4 …. Loosing there quest to be there conference winner.

After the 6 conference winners are awarded …. The field of 16 teams for the frozen four are anounced . The 6 conference winners and the next highest rated teams.

Michigan State that beat Michigan was rated higher than them.

Michigan knew b4 losing Saturday night that they were going to qualify for the top 16 tournament….

They now are going to placed in a bracket of four teams …. If they win 2 games they will win their bracket …. And will qualify for the final frozen four on the last weekend of the year for college hockey.

So if they win four games in a row… over 2 weekends …they win it all! ( even though they failed to win their conference last night

I think they will be placed in a bracket with their first opponent being the UND (Sioux)….

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
Michigan lost in OT…. 5-4 …. Loosing there quest to be there conference winner.

After the 6 conference winners are awarded …. The field of 16 teams for the frozen four are anounced . The 6 conference winners and the next highest rated teams.

Michigan State that beat Michigan was rated higher than them.

Michigan knew b4 losing Saturday night that they were going to qualify for the top 16 tournament….

They now are going to placed in a bracket of four teams …. If they win 2 games they will win their bracket …. And will qualify for the final frozen four on the last weekend of the year for college hockey.

So if they win four games in a row… over 2 weekends …they win it all! ( even though they failed to win their conference last night

I think they will be placed in a bracket with their first opponent being the UND (Sioux)….
Correct. Michigan is 3 seed in the four team mini tourney to get into the frozen four and play ND Friday.

Reactions: hn777 and trebendan

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
Brad Lambert continues to move up the ranks of Moose All-Time rookies (Note: This tweet should say "Alone in 4th"):

1711384326395.gif

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
Just going off of the Moose clips, there seems to be a lot of Ehlers in Lambert's game. Is that fair?

Reactions: Rheged

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Just going off of the Moose clips, there seems to be a lot of Ehlers in Lambert's game. Is that fair?

I'd say that Lambert plays a more direct game, that relies more on driving to the net either to shoot or pass off in danger areas. He's very quick and an excellent skater but not sure he has Young Nik's preternatural acceleration or edgework yet, or has his shooting tools/ ability (yet). He creates Ehlersian chaos but isn't quite as inventive or high-end in his puck skills (yet).

In Lambert's favour, his motor is always running and he seems never to tire, and he's a Tanev-level puckhound, who can cover the ice very quickly and takes good angles that make him hard to contain. He's a great retriever and effective along the line and IMO is an underrated passer, with good vision and adaptability.

Like Nik, he can outthink himself, overskate, and make reads a bit too quickly for his linemates, and is an unselfish player. I'm actually starting to see him less as an Ehlers-lite than as a Perrault-plus, since he combines high-end skill with the kind of all-zone peskiness Matty P managed at his best. I think his playstyle is likely to make him a fan fave and be easier on coaches than Nik's has proven to be, while still allowing him to pile up points and break games open at times, all while being a net positive possession player. FWIW, that's not to sell Lambo short, since I regard Peak Perrault as one of the most valuable Jets players of that era.

I also like him more at centre than wing. He's not going to Lowry players into next week but he's reliable and seems to be always everywhere all at once, like the best smaller centres often are.

Anyway, my 10 cents.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad