Prospect Info: Jets Prospects

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I am going to love being completely wrong about Lambert in 1-2 years.

(A year ago, I said I still don't believe in him ending up as a NHL regular. I am still Not sold on him in projecting into a top 6 NHL player but I agree on having been wrong on his chances)

I am looking forward to being wrong too. I never viewed him as a top 6 asset. So far he has been exceeding my expectations since we drafted him and hopefully that continues.

Stylistically, I'd say McGroarty reminds a bit of M Tkachuk or maybe a bit of Shane Doan. He's very smart, plays aggressively, and has the vision and skill to play well with skilled linemates. Has a very good shot, too.

I like the Shane Doan comp. I have him as our top prospect.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Former Jets prospect and everyone's favorite crybaby this year Leon Gawanke had a good start with Adler Mannheim.

In his first 8 games, he has 1 goal and 9 assists. So of course the german hockey media is like "told you he is an amazing player and those mean NHL people for some reason just denied his big career there" and keep on ignoring that it never was about him not producing points... obviously. More than a PPG in 8 games?

+/- he is a -1 anyhow...

In his first 2 play-in (you could say it is like a play-in round in the NBA) games against Nürnberg, he had points in both wins to make it into the "real" playoffs. He is now going to face his youth team Eisbären Berlin and therefore he is going to be somewhat of the most interesting player story for this series in media talk. I am actually interested in going to a game but I need to go to Nigeria for work for a week next weekend so probably won't have the chance :(

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Former Jets prospect and everyone's favorite crybaby this year Leon Gawanke had a good start with Adler Mannheim.

In his first 8 games, he has 1 goal and 9 assists. So of course the german hockey media is like "told you he is an amazing player and those mean NHL people for some reason just denied his big career there" and keep on ignoring that it never was about him not producing points... obviously. More than a PPG in 8 games?

+/- he is a -1 anyhow...

In his first 2 play-in (you could say it is like a play-in round in the NBA) games against Nürnberg, he had points in both wins to make it into the "real" playoffs. He is now going to face his youth team Eisbären Berlin and therefore he is going to be somewhat of the most interesting player story for this series in media talk. I am actually interested in going to a game but I need to go to Nigeria for work for a week next weekend so probably won't have the chance :(
Gawanke could always produce points when the pace of play was AHL-level or below, but he couldn't translate that to the NHL level. He couldn't be trusted defensively at even the AHL level. He was always just too chaotic on D.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
Scott Wheeler doesn't think McGroarty's going to sign here this spring.

Jets prospects talk starts here:

If McGroarty doesn't sign this spring Id officially be concerned about him signing in general, not going to lie

Reactions: Cypruss

ello

Jun 12, 2018
Nah, I think we go through this with every college player unless they sign right away after their 1st NCAA season...but we've signed them all I think.
None of our prospects were really of McGroarty's caliber and as NHL ready though. Connor signed right after his big season. It's just unusual for a first round pick to have such a dominant season in college and not sign in the NHL right after.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
None of our prospects were really of McGroarty's caliber and as NHL ready though. Connor signed right after his big season. It's just unusual for a first round pick to have such a dominant season in college and not sign in the NHL right after.
Trouba. Copp. Hellebuyck. Samberg...lots of Samberg angst I seem to recall. He was signed after 3 years in the NCAA. Copp was after his 3rd year too. Anyway it's too early to worry...

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
If McGroarty doesn't sign this spring Id officially be concerned about him signing in general, not going to lie
I’m not at all concerned. McGroarty has JET FUEL running through his veins. Kid was stoked when the Jets selected him. Now of course he could pull a complete 360 and not sign, but I honestly don’t see it.

Plus I believe I read something somewhere that he and his family really value getting a college degree.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
Trouba. Copp. Hellebuyck. Samberg...lots of Samberg angst I seem to recall. He was signed after 3 years in the NCAA. Copp was after his 3rd year too. Anyway it's too early to worry...
I agree its not really worth worrying since we wont really know until it happens.

However unlike Copp and Samberg McGroarty has nothing left to prove in college and frankly it could be argued that he's too good for the NCAA and it would be a waste of a year developmentally.

There just isn't precedent for a highly touted prospect having a season as good as him going back for a third year. Cooley, Beniers, Luke Hughes, Sanderson, Caufield, Boldy etc. pretty much every highly productive first round pick signs within 2 years and certainly after they have a big coming out season.

Also just thinking rationally too, if youre Mcgroarty's camp and he's already played 3 seasons in college why not just play a 4th and get to pick which city to start your career in? Every team in the NHL is going to be a suitor. You could say risk of injury but its so rare for top prospects to have career altering/ending injuries

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad