Prospect Info: Jets Prospects

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Anyone else not as high on Barlow as the consensus? He seems fairly limited in terms of range of tools and upside. Seems to play hard, great goal scoring tools and has good character clearly since he's been captain from a young age but he's even more of a complimentary offensive guy at the junior level as of right now. He doesn't drive play from what I've seen and can struggle with creating time and space for his teammates. Feet seem on the heavier side too in terms of agility

Personally I think Mcg, Lambert and Salo ( and even Chib to an extent) all have higher upside. Goes without saying that Barlows floor is high but yeah Id be surprised if he amounts to a true top 6 guy

I have McGroarty, 🐟🌞 (Salmonsson) and Lambert above him as well. I wonder how much impact the injury has had on his season? You hope he turns into Pacioretty type who has a shot and a more complete game rather than a Victor Olofsson who is only the shot at the NHL level.

Reactions: hn777 and Buffdog

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
1. RD-Elias Salomonsson
2. LW-Rutger McGroarty
3. C/RW-Brad Lambert
4. LW-Colby Barlow
5. RW-Dmitry Rashevsky
6. LD-Ville Heinola
7. LW-Nikita Chibrikov
8. C-Chaz Lucius

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Anyone else not as high on Barlow as the consensus? He seems fairly limited in terms of range of tools and upside. Seems to play hard, great goal scoring tools and has good character clearly since he's been captain from a young age but he's even more of a complimentary offensive guy at the junior level as of right now. He doesn't drive play from what I've seen and can struggle with creating time and space for his teammates. Feet seem on the heavier side too in terms of agility

Personally I think Mcg, Lambert and Salo ( and even Chib to an extent) all have higher upside. Goes without saying that Barlows floor is high but yeah Id be surprised if he amounts to a true top 6 guy

You could have described Laine much the same way. Barlow has similar kind of goal scoring to Laine but without the baggage. He could single-handedly transform a mediocre PP. He may not achieve that but the potential is there.

The top 6 don't all need to be play drivers. Complimentary players are needed too.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
You could have described Laine much the same way. Barlow has similar kind of goal scoring to Laine but without the baggage. He could single-handedly transform a mediocre PP. He may not achieve that but the potential is there.

The top 6 don't all need to be play drivers. Complimentary players are needed too.

I think Laine's offensive game was much more rounded than Barlow. I don't think Barlow is close to him other than the shot.

Reactions: hn777

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think Laine's offensive game was much more rounded than Barlow. I don't think Barlow is close to him other than the shot.

Laine's offensive game was mostly his shot too though. Not entirely, but Barlow's is not entirely either.

Look at Laine's best years and how much of his production was the shot on the PP. Not saying that Barlow will be another Laine, but he might be.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Laine's offensive game was mostly his shot too though. Not entirely, but Barlow's is not entirely either.

Look at Laine's best years and how much of his production was the shot on the PP. Not saying that Barlow will be another Laine, but he might be.

Remember the Laine we saw was in the pros against men (both in the Liiga and the NHL), scoring and the ability to make plays drops at every rung up the ladder of difficulty. Laine always played much higher than his peer group, as a 16 year old in the Finnish equivalent of the CHL he was pretty dominant as was in comps like WJC where he played against his peer group.

Laine has had some tough times lately in the NHL so it becomes easy to forget how dominant of a player he was for his age, till their draft+3 seasons there was legitimate debate over which one of Laine or Matthews was better and Matthews is one of the best players of our time. So I don't make the Laine comparison lightly.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Remember the Laine we saw was in the pros against men (both in the Liiga and the NHL), scoring and the ability to make plays drops at every rung up the ladder of difficulty. Laine always played much higher than his peer group, as a 16 year old in the Finnish equivalent of the CHL he was pretty dominant as was in comps like WJC where he played against his peer group.

Laine has had some tough times lately in the NHL so it becomes easy to forget how dominant of a player he was for his age, till their draft+3 seasons there was legitimate debate over which one of Laine or Matthews was better and Matthews is one of the best players of our time. So I don't make the Laine comparison lightly.

I'm not making it lightly. I'm not saying he matches Laine, but I haven't seen another shot like that until Barlow. When Laine was Barlow's age he was in the NHL. But Barlow is going to be special too.

Reactions: FlappyGiraffe

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
It’s pretty great that the Jets chose not to trade any prospects. You’ve got to think there will be at least one, maybe two, top six forwards between McGroarty, Lambert, Barlow, Lucius, Chibrikov.
I think mcgroarty is destined for middle six. His ceiling is lower but floor is higher. Doesn’t have the skates for top line - just don’t see it happening. That being said he has a lot of tools that will make him a surer bet for being an nhl regular.

The other 4 have higher ceilings and lower floors. Lambert and Barlow could be top line players or could not fit in the nhl at all. I like the odds of one of the four on your list making the nhl - even 2 of those 4.

I think mcgroarty and 2 of lambert Barlow Chaz and chib will have regular line up spots 2 years from now.

I could see 2 players making it past training camp next year in Rutger or lambo or chib

Reactions: RabidOne

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I think mcgroarty is destined for middle six. His ceiling is lower but floor is higher. Doesn’t have the skates for top line - just don’t see it happening. That being said he has a lot of tools that will make him a surer bet for being an nhl regular.

The other 4 have higher ceilings and lower floors. Lambert and Barlow could be top line players or could not fit in the nhl at all. I like the odds of one of the four on your list making the nhl - even 2 of those 4.

I think mcgroarty and 2 of lambert Barlow Chaz and chib will have regular line up spots 2 years from now.

I could see 2 players making it past training camp next year in Rutger or lambo or chib

I am not sure why people think he isn't going to be a top guy. Everything he has done screams top line guy. I think only Cutter Gauthier has more points then him from his draft year. He was pretty much the heart of and soul of the US WJC team that won gold.

The guy is just screaming Jonathan Toews to me

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I am not sure why people think he isn't going to be a top guy. Everything he has done screams top line guy. I think only Cutter Gauthier has more points then him from his draft year. He was pretty much the heart of and soul of the US WJC team that won gold.

Hopefully without the Captain Silence thing going on.

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)
Salomonsson’s coach Robert Ohlsson’s “wry, almost evil smile”captured here..I like it…’says it all.

Attachments

• 96A036D0-EBE4-4833-94D7-CD3248B7BE8C.jpeg
    96A036D0-EBE4-4833-94D7-CD3248B7BE8C.jpeg
    187.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 117A40D8-66F1-4429-B3B0-454DAF765F98.png
    117A40D8-66F1-4429-B3B0-454DAF765F98.png
    731.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 6634CEBC-9852-485B-8C26-4BD3815CBDA8.jpeg
    6634CEBC-9852-485B-8C26-4BD3815CBDA8.jpeg
    196.5 KB · Views: 6

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
As far as I can tell, the best AHL PPG for all players from his draft class. Granted many of them are not AHL eligible yet. Shane Wright has 39 points in the same number of games and Kemmel 32.

He also drives play like a maniac. Admittedly, I'm trying to watch AHL games on a crap feed that looks like they're playing through a blizzard in beach fog, but Lambo is a player who makes things happen all over the ice with his speed and -- yep -- vision. He's on every puck, forechecking and backchecking with what seems to be an endless motor, and making plays out of nothing. He has some of the Ehlers disruption with a more direct game (and nowhere near the shot repertoire yet, so far as I've seen, though he has a nice snapper).

Some players make their linemates better through calming things down and then threading the needle, like Scheifele, Good Perfetti, JMo, etc. Other like to carry their way into a kind of measured chaos, finding space and drawing attention to make room for high-danger chances elsewhere.

I see Lambert as the latter, plus relentless energy. Less Ehlers and more higher-end Brandon Tanev with vision and a plan. If all goes well I think he's going to be an impact player for the Jets, and win coaches over in a way some can't seem to through that crazy energy and drive. Fans are gonna love him. They'll be right.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
As far as I can tell, the best AHL PPG for all players from his draft class. Granted many of them are not AHL eligible yet. Shane Wright has 39 points in the same number of games and Kemmel 32.

I've gotten to see him in person a few times this year and he looks fantastic. I can't wait to see him get a few NHL games.

I also got to see Lucius before he was injured earlier this season and he looked decent as well. Hopefully the kid can put together a season+ of games without further injury.

scarbrow

Nov 3, 2016

I see him more as a Getzlaf in terms of play type. Toews as a leader definitely

Reactions: AlaskaJet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad