Prospect Info: Jets prospects at the 2023 World Junior Championship

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Someone had to spoil the great news, and here I thought we had 2 winners ? These guys are young, and still developing their man strength, but there is no denying that this Lucius guy has a nice set of scoring hands, ( hatrick) just has to work on the rest of his game. As for McGroarty, I haven't seen much of him, just hoping for the best.

I haven’t watched either guy enough to comment but it’s HFBoards so what the hell, often wrong, never in doubt!!

I love both kids character.

Development wise I feel Covid era, “injuries”, and an early exit from Minnesota have slowed Chaz’s progress to the point I am concerned about his future a bit. Glad he finished off the WJHC with a hat trick, maybe that event will spur confidence.

Rutger I feel the opposite about. I see a much more clearly defined style of play that I believe will translate well to the NHL. He needs at least one more season in Michigan, another world junior, then perhaps a season in the AHL but I am bullish on him as a prospect.

I reserve the right to be 100% wrong about my hot take.

I'm not saying they're bad prospects at all, I especially like McGroarty, I just think their tournament was just fine. Not an indicator of success or failure.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Mike Johnson was going on and on about how amazing Clarke and Del Mastro were and I just didn't see it. At points this tournament it looked like Bedard was just dragging the team with him, but they got better as it went on and ultimately played a fairly solid final.

Who impressed me were Zellweger and Stankoven.
Zellweger is supposed to be an offensive Dman, but he was out there in defensive situations.
Stankoven was everywhere.
2 great picks who fell to the 2nd rd presumably because of size.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Czechia was full marks for this tourney. Really admired their resolve and team play. It was a tall order for them to beat this Canadian team twice, but they almost pulled it off. Canada just too much up and down the lineup.

And yeah, for a team that was chosen to have a Top 6 / Bottom 6 Maurice-style split, Team Canada sure was terrible at defending leads.

Berard is something else, but he, along with a lot of the team, looked like they were trying to do everything themselves a lot of the time. Seemed to be a source of their struggles against teams that played like, well, teams. Milic saved our bacon (especially vs. Team US in the semis).

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
How has Lucius looked for the Moose? Maybe he becomes a more lethal threat upon his return?:sarcasm:

congratulations Canada:cheer::partytime:, that teams depth really shined through.

Maybe we can draft Milic for the future?

To bad no Manitoba born and Jets prospects on that team at all.

Bedard has to now go back to Regina and who we ever wants to do that? LOL

What are the rules on signing players who have been passed over in the draft?

Every once in a while we see some player signed who looks like he should still be eligible for another draft.

Milic has been passed over twice and will be 20 before the next draft. Can't he just be signed as a FA?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Luciois has largely been ineffective on the Moose in the games ive seen. Hopefully this gives him a confidence boost and he has more of an impact when he gets back.
His quality of linemates should go up too, with the healthier Jets returning some players.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Has there been anything with regards to where our prospects will finish the year? Looks like Seattle reassigned Wright to the OHL. I'd hope Lambert atleast is heading to the WHL.

Reactions: Buffdog

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Czechia was full marks for this tourney. Really admired their resolve and team play. It was a tall order for them to beat this Canadian team twice, but they almost pulled it off. Canada just too much up and down the lineup.

And yeah, for a team that was chosen to have a Top 6 / Bottom 6 Maurice-style split, Team Canada sure was terrible at defending leads.

Berard is something else, but he, along with a lot of the team, looked like they were trying to do everything themselves a lot of the time. Seemed to be a source of their struggles against teams that played like, well, teams. Milic saved our bacon (especially vs. Team US in the semis).
It's weird, but I almost felt bad when they lost - so inspirational for them and the Slovaks to do so well in the tourney. Hard to believe they were once one country. It would be like the Western Canada and Eastern Canada putting in individual teams. I still think we could win gold and silver.

I will also say I was filled with joy watching the American players cry when they lost. Does that make me a bad person?

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Loved McGroarty. He was always most noticeable with his toes on the other team’s crease looking for the dirty goals. I always like to see young players playing in the same space and style we expect to see in the NHL.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Has there been anything with regards to where our prospects will finish the year? Looks like Seattle reassigned Wright to the OHL. I'd hope Lambert atleast is heading to the WHL.

A 4th overall pick going back should send the message that the CHL isn't a level too low for high tier prospects who just aren't ready to play against higher competition.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle

Won’t have to travel far, the birds are on their 2 week east conference trip!

They are in Regina tonight. Maybe Lambert can board the flight to Regina along with bedard, Milic et al.

Or let him fly to Winnipeg, get his affairs in order, and then suit up his first game against the Ice on the 11th next week

HaveKnifeWillButcher

Apr 23, 2018
It's weird, but I almost felt bad when they lost - so inspirational for them and the Slovaks to do so well in the tourney. Hard to believe they were once one country. It would be like the Western Canada and Eastern Canada putting in individual teams. I still think we could win gold and silver.

I will also say I was filled with joy watching the American players cry when they lost. Does that make me a bad person?
You must be a joy to live beside there in Florida.

• Haha
Reactions: Jet

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Won’t have to travel far, the birds are on their 2 week east conference trip!

They are in Regina tonight. Maybe Lambert can board the flight to Regina along with bedard, Milic et al.

Or let him fly to Winnipeg, get his affairs in order, and then suit up his first game against the Ice on the 11th next week

Do you guys have a need for a Lambert type? Not sure what Brad brings that you don’t already have.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
A 4th overall pick going back should send the message that the CHL isn't a level too low for high tier prospects who just aren't ready to play against higher competition.

I 100% agree. Thinking the CHL is below D+1 prospects is one of the more puzzling concepts to me. The CHL is a very good league for D+1 players to develop and that is the entire point at that age. There are rare exceptions like McDavid but otherwise it’s still your pier group.

For a kid like Lambert I think it’s ideal. Hopefully he can learn how to be offensively productive at some level. It’s far from a given he’s going to rip it up in the dub but that would be great if he finally figures it out.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Just saw that Seattle traded for Colton Dach. That forward group is getting pretty crowded. Has there been any official word in Lambert heading there?

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Good thing that decision doesn’t need to be made for a few years and who knows what the roster looks like then.

I was more wondering what Brad brings to the ThunderBirds at this snap shot in time. They have a really good team already so can he crack the PP1 is where I was going with my question. Turns out the poster from Seattle said their junior team needs help on zone entries on the power play so that’s good. Hoping Lambert can get a long stretch where he can be around a PPG to gain some confidence. He needs real work to develop his offensive game so hopefully this comes together for him in Seattle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad