Prospect Info: Jets prospects at the 2023 World Junior Championship

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Someone is going to be very happy with the consolation prize of Fantilli. I think his game will translate very nicely to the nhl.
Watching how the bigger and more mature dmen played Bedard with great gaps and forced him outside during OT has me wondering *just a little* how he's going to translate to the NHL.

Don't get me wrong, he's going to be great. I think he was also gassed by the end of tonight.

As an aside, in one of the other threads people were talking about lafreniere and his development. I think something has to be said for the idea that these kids are doing so much development at such a young age that the ascending curve might be starting to flatten out by the time they hit their draft year. Same thing could maybe be said about Wright - he was what he is by the time he's 16.

Anyway, just spitballing.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
A few pages back there was a discussion about how some people don't get fired up for this tournament, and I can relate to that. It certainly was more interesting to me before the Jets came back.

But to me, that's the allure. Watching the crowds in Halifax has been amazing - this is the biggest thing hockey-wise that they'll see for years. It reminds me of rhe support that the tournament got here in 1998.

I love how Canadian communities who don't have an NHL team embrace this thing.

I think I'm happier for the Halifax crowd than I am for the players
I love it, it's inextricably tied to the holidays. I love the chaos and the emotion of the kids.

Since my mom died its the one part of the holidays I still look forward to.

Watching how the bigger and more mature dmen played Bedard with great gaps and forced him outside during OT has me wondering *just a little* how he's going to translate to the NHL.

Don't get me wrong, he's going to be great. I think he was also gassed by the end of tonight.

As an aside, in one of the other threads people were talking about lafreniere and his development. I think something has to be said for the idea that these kids are doing so much development at such a young age that the ascending curve might be starting to flatten out by the time they hit their draft year. Same thing could maybe be said about Wright - he was what he is by the time he's 16.

Anyway, just spitballing.
I'm pretty sure if you saw Bedard in his skivvies you'd have your answer.

He played against some mountainous men. Once his body catches up to his abilities he will be just fine. He is only 17.

Potential

Nov 11, 2017
I know a lot of us are hissing at the performance of Brad Lambert at these juniors, but thank golly we didn’t take Brandt Clarke at #8 overall. I see a lot of prime Cody Ceci in his game.
Yeah Canada's defence was a tire fire most nights in this tournament. Wasn't a fan of Clarke or Del Mastro's play in any game I watched I have to say.

Still, they are young and learning, so I imagine they'll get better with the proper coaching.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'll be frank, I didn't care for Canada's systems or on ice cohesion. They got away with it due to superior high end finishing, deadly pp and great goaltending. I think both 🇨🇿 and 🇺🇸 played much stronger team games this tournament. I'll take the gold but that team was disorganized moat of the time.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Yeah Canada's defence was a tire fire most nights in this tournament. Wasn't a fan of Clarke or Del Mastro's play in any game I watched I have to say.

Still, they are young and learning, so I imagine they'll get better with the proper coaching.
Mike Johnson was going on and on about how amazing Clarke and Del Mastro were and I just didn't see it. At points this tournament it looked like Bedard was just dragging the team with him, but they got better as it went on and ultimately played a fairly solid final.

Reactions: hn777 and surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Mike Johnson was going on and on about how amazing Clarke and Del Mastro were and I just didn't see it. At points this tournament it looked like Bedard was just dragging the team with him, but they got better as it went on and ultimately played a fairly solid final.

I didn't think any of Canada's defense were particularly good in their end.

You sometimes wonder if making the tournament all about 1 player as the media did had a negative impact on the team. At the end of the day these are kids playing and it seemed to me they bought into the Bedard show hype and deferred too much.

With Crosby and McDavid those teams were especially in Crosby's case elitly built where the whole team was more of a focus then they were individually. Both teams played a very strong team game.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I'll be frank, I didn't care for Canada's systems or on ice cohesion. They got away with it due to superior high end finishing, deadly pp and great goaltending. I think both 🇨🇿 and 🇺🇸 played much stronger team games this tournament. I'll take the gold but that team was disorganized moat of the time.
I kind of agree. They won but not as dominantly as they should have. Bedard pretty much dragged them to the gold medal game, good on them for pushing through the one time Bedard couldn't though. Crazy for an undrafted player to have more than twice the points that the next player on the team had. Beyond his line Guenther was the only forward above a point per game. Take Bedard out of the tournament and this team might not even win a medal.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I kind of agree. They won but not as dominantly as they should have. Bedard pretty much dragged them to the gold medal game, good on them for pushing through the one time Bedard couldn't though. Crazy for an undrafted player to have more than twice the points that the next player on the team had. Beyond his line Guenther was the only forward above a point per game. Take Bedard out of the tournament and this team might not even win a medal.

I also didn't care how they built the team. They went old school with their top 6 and bottom 6 deployment. We had more then enough skill to dress three high end scoring Ines and good two/way fourth line but they didn't even elect to bring a bunch of those guys to camp. Not sure what Hockey Canada has against Savoie for instance.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I also didn't care how they built the team. They went old school with their top 6 and bottom 6 deployment. We had more then enough skill to dress three high end scoring Ines and good two/way fourth line but they didn't even elect to bring a bunch of those guys to camp. Not sure what Hockey Canada has against Savoie for instance.
Yeah, it was odd seeing Savoie, Dumais, Benson excluded. Canada was going for size, I guess, but that's a lot of skill to leave at home in exchange for a few of the guys who largely contributed nothing.

Edit: I heard a rumour (probably on here) that Hockey Canada wasn't too pleased with how Savoie/the ICE skirted around Savoie not being granted exceptional status. I believe they used him as an emergency call-up or something when that may not have been legitimate. Not sure though.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I also didn't care how they built the team. They went old school with their top 6 and bottom 6 deployment. We had more then enough skill to dress three high end scoring Ines and good two/way fourth line.
It's funny to think about that net scramble in the final minute of the 3rd where Czechia almost won. If that goes in then the top 6/bottom 6 system didn't work. But it didn't go in, so now top 6/bottom 6 worked and they're more likely to go with it next year. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" often just means "if it isn't failing entirely, don't try to make it better".

Yeah, it was odd seeing Savoie, Dumais, Benson excluded. Canada was going for size, I guess, but that's a lot of skill to leave at home in exchange for a few of the guys who largely contributed nothing.

Edit: I heard a rumour (probably on here) that Hockey Canada wasn't too pleased with how Savoie/the ICE skirted around Savoie not being granted exceptional status. I believe they used him as an emergency call-up or something when that may not have been legitimate. Not sure though.
I forgot about Dumais. That's another absurd omission.

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
Size.
I heard an interview with the guy picking the team. When asked what he was lookimg for in player skills his answer was “this guy is 6’2”, the guy is 6’3””….. etc.
Sound like straight out of 20 years ago.

Reactions: surixon

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Didn't watch the game but apparently Lucius got a hatrick in the final game against Sweden, and McGroarty had a couple of assists. Maybe the Jets have another sniper coming up the pipe in Lucius, and a good solid player in McGroarty. Looking good for the Jets, and compliments to their scouting staff. Hope I have these stats right, or close to them.

Reactions: hn777

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
How has Lucius looked for the Moose? Maybe he becomes a more lethal threat upon his return?:sarcasm:

congratulations Canada:cheer::partytime:, that teams depth really shined through.

Maybe we can draft Milic for the future?

To bad no Manitoba born and Jets prospects on that team at all.

Bedard has to now go back to Regina and who we ever wants to do that? LOL

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I love it, it's inextricably tied to the holidays. I love the chaos and the emotion of the kids.

Since my mom died its the one part of the holidays I still look forward to.

I'm pretty sure if you saw Bedard in his skivvies you'd have your answer.

He played against some mountainous men. Once his body catches up to his abilities he will be just fine. He is only 17.

I am really sorry to hear your mom passed away Jet. As I recall she treated @Romang67 to some good home cooking back in Season 3. The holidays can be really tough on people after they lose key loved ones. Sorry for your loss.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
How has Lucius looked for the Moose? Maybe he becomes a more lethal threat upon his return?:sarcasm:

congratulations Canada:cheer::partytime:, that teams depth really shined through.

Maybe we can draft Milic for the future?

To bad no Manitoba born and Jets prospects on that team at all.

Bedard has to now go back to Regina and who we ever wants to do that? LOL

Luciois has largely been ineffective on the Moose in the games ive seen. Hopefully this gives him a confidence boost and he has more of an impact when he gets back.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Didn't watch the game but apparently Lucius got a hatrick in the final game against Sweden, and McGroarty had a couple of assists. Maybe the Jets have another sniper coming up the pipe in Lucius, and a good solid player in McGroarty. Looking good for the Jets, and compliments to their scouting staff. Hope I have these stats right, or close to them.

Lucius had a very good game against the Swedes but I'm not sure the rest of his tournament was anything other than ok. Same with McGroarty.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Lucius had a very good game against the Swedes but I'm not sure the rest of his tournament was anything other than ok. Same with McGroarty.
Someone had to spoil the great news, and here I thought we had 2 winners ? These guys are young, and still developing their man strength, but there is no denying that this Lucius guy has a nice set of scoring hands, ( hatrick) just has to work on the rest of his game. As for McGroarty, I haven't seen much of him, just hoping for the best.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I haven’t watched either guy enough to comment but it’s HFBoards so what the hell, often wrong, never in doubt!!

I love both kids character.

Development wise I feel Covid era, “injuries”, and an early exit from Minnesota have slowed Chaz’s progress to the point I am concerned about his future a bit. Glad he finished off the WJHC with a hat trick, maybe that event will spur confidence.

Rutger I feel the opposite about. I see a much more clearly defined style of play that I believe will translate well to the NHL. He needs at least one more season in Michigan, another world junior, then perhaps a season in the AHL but I am bullish on him as a prospect.

I reserve the right to be 100% wrong about my hot take.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I haven’t watched either guy enough to comment but it’s HFBoards so what the hell, often wrong, never in doubt!!

Development wise I feel Covid era, “injuries”, and an early exit from Minnesota have slowed Chaz’s progress to the point I am concerned about his future a bit. Glad he finished off the WJHC with a hat trick, maybe that event will spur confidence.

Rutger I feel the opposite about. I see a much more clearly defined style of play that I believe will translate well to the NHL. He needs at least one more season in Michigan, another world junior, then perhaps a season in the AHL but I am bullish on him as a prospect.

Yeah McGroarty to me seems to have a good foundation to his game and he really just needs to continue to get stronger, quicker, and more experienced. I also thunk when he's physically ready his game will translate well.

I also share your concerns on Lucious. He has hands and can finish if given the chance but he doesn't do much outside of that. So far at the AHL level he isn't able to find that same space and he doesn't play with enough pace to influence or create opportunities for himself. He's still quite young though and has time to add those things.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

Good takes on both

The beauty with HFJets is even if you're 100% wrong, you never have to admit it. You can just quadruple down on your opinion and find 1 or 2 mostly irrelevant points to prop it up.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I am really sorry to hear your mom passed away Jet. As I recall she treated @Romang67 to some good home cooking back in Season 3. The holidays can be really tough on people after they lose key loved ones. Sorry for your loss.
Thanks PS. Can tell you're a good man for remembering something I barely do 🤣. It was so nice to be able to show a Swede how we do odr in Canada. I remember it being bitterly cold 🥶

It was also nice getting together with the boys before the Jets game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad