OT: Jets Lounge: post-Jedi edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Missed the game tonight (unfortunate, but at least we won!) to see Infinity War with some friends
It was very awesome :yo:
If you liked any previous Marvel movies, you'll love this one.

Reactions: Guardian17

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Disappointingly, I ended up at Canadian Brewhouse in the burbs. Drinking a Shock top. I am so disappointed with myself and my former city.

I thought people gave you some good choices down by the forks why did you do the audible to the burbs?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Because the other parties involved couldn't/wouldn't show up until 6:30-7:00pm, and most places were already packed by 4pm...

Got it! My friends (in low places) would be thrilled with any excuse that would allow them to show up to a bar early :silly:

Tonight the Watchmen are playing at Club Regent and I assume they take the stage after 10:00, we have assigned seating, and we still decided to start pregaming at 5:30 today.

You may need to downgrade the people you watch hockey with Derf.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
*when you get yourself a new job that has wildly different hours than you are used to, but still wake up before you're supposed to go to work, without alarm, but you're on your day off*

I haven't even started there yet!

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Any Vets or Vet techs on around here?

Wirehair Pointer took a good barb wire slash to the chest yesterday while out in the field. 2" long, 1/2 - 3/4" wide (opened up). No skin hanging, can't really see a puncture, just a straight tear.
Noticed it this morning giving her the once over for cuts n ticks.
It is more weeping fluid, but only occasionally spotting blood.
The research that i have done is if not hanging and less than 1" wide, polysporin and keep it clean.
I still have nearly a full bottle of antibiotics from 2 months ago from when she was spayed that she ended up not needing.
Vet is closed today...figure by the time tomorrow rolls around the window for a couple stitches will have closed.

Just wanting a second opinion.

DM me if required.

There goes the plan to go dip netting/bow fishing this afternoon with the pup. :( Poor girl. Not even a yelp when she hit the wire, just kept on trucking back and forth through the grass and stream. Had I seen she was cut it would have been straight back to the car for washout and hometime. Didn't find it on the quick pat down for blood, must have been to cold water and cool air.

Derfel

Everybody Loves Me
Oct 4, 2017
Calgary, AB
Not a vet, but peroxide mixed with water (3:1 peroxide to water)to clean and then liberal amount of polysporin should be good, once a day for a few days. If you can wrap it, even better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snot Rocket

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb

Wirehair Pointer took a good barb wire slash to the chest yesterday while out in the field. 2" long, 1/2 - 3/4" wide (opened up). No skin hanging, can't really see a puncture, just a straight tear.
The research that i have done is if not hanging and less than 1" wide, polysporin and keep it clean.
I still have nearly a full bottle of antibiotics from 2 months ago from when she was spayed that she ended up not needing.
Vet is closed today...figure by the time tomorrow rolls around the window for a couple stitches will have closed.

DM me if required.

There goes the plan to go dip netting/bow fishing this afternoon with the pup. :( Poor girl. Not even a yelp when she hit the wire, just kept on trucking back and forth through the grass and stream. Had I seen she was cut it would have been straight back to the car for washout and hometime. Didn't find it on the quick pat down for blood, must have been to cold water and cool air.

Have you tried this place? It sounds like they're open 24/7.
24-Hour Animal Hospital | Winnipeg Animal Emergency Hospital

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

DM me if required.

This is a bit late but you can use it for future reference, Southglen Vet hospital on St. Anne's Rd is open daily until midnight (including Sunday's) and the vets are very good there, especially Dr. Litchfield. They also don't charge emergency rates for a Sunday or evening visit like the Emergency hospital does on Pembina.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
This is a bit late but you can use it for future reference, Southglen Vet hospital on St. Anne's Rd is open daily until midnight (including Sunday's) and the vets are very good there, especially Dr. Litchfield. They also don't charge emergency rates for a Sunday or evening visit like the Emergency hospital does on Pembina.
Thanks, good to know.
Pembina told me it might be in the $400-$800 range.

I was like WTF? Spaying only cost me $400.

I tried a different route, hopefully it works out. Will call my vet today and see if I did ok.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Thanks, good to know.
Pembina told me it might be in the $400-$800 range.

I was like WTF? Spaying only cost me $400.

I tried a different route, hopefully it works out. Will call my vet today and see if I did ok.

We had to do an emergency overnight at the Pembina hospital with our pug, had to take her really late like 11 pm. Ended costing us $1500+ . I really don't like them, they charge a lot and know they can cash in on people's desperation when a pet gets sick at inconvenient times.

Pet surgery in general will cost an arm and a leg, though, even for simple procedures.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
We had to do an emergency overnight at the Pembina hospital with our pug, had to take her really late like 11 pm. Ended costing us $1500+ . I really don't like them, they charge a lot and know they can cash in on people's desperation when a pet gets sick at inconvenient times.

Pet surgery in general will cost an arm and a leg, though, even for simple procedures.

Did some reading: clippered the affected area, Washed the wound out with 3/1 Water/Hydrogen Peroxide, then Saline Wound Was and finally super glued the top shut, leaving a cm unglued for drainage.

Regular Vet wants a pic...so knock on wood.

Oh yeah, and a good shmear of Polysporin

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Coming in a bit late on this, sorry. Just following up: Pembina is good, but they've changed a lot of personnel in the past 3 years and their prices have skyrocketed (obviously).

Keeping the wound clean and some polysporin is good. Wrapping it would be the best. 2" is a significant cut, but if its not gaping, should be OK. In a pinch, these kinds of cuts can be cleaned and sealed with cyanoacrylate (crazy glue).

Not a vet. Just a guy with lots of experience.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I could have made a decent down payment on a car for what we paid in vet bills when our pug got sick a few years ago, but what can you do? The way she stared at me to get her help I couldn't say no.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
What's health insurance cost for a dog? I imagine there are deductibles and limits - but it seems like a lot of pet owners end up facing some steep bills at some point.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
My old boxer/Shep cross is basically indestructible, and she is turning 16.

Dark chocolate bars, yep. Cooked pork bones, yep, anything garbage, yep. If it once passed in the near vicinity of food it must be food.
Can't take her near a farm as poop is Da Bomb! So yummy!

:facepalm:

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
...and off to the Vet when I got home, she pulled it open. I went to Alpine Animal Hospital, her regular vet clinic. Got some pain meds, wound washed out & stapled shut, cone of shame, some treats and the company of a bunch of ladies...lucky dog.

Cost was a fraction of what the 24 hour place quoted me. The Vet has a couple Versatile Gun Dogs as well and said this is a common occurrence and I will get well versed in dealing with wounds on my dog.
Go back in to weeks to get the staples out.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
...and off to the Vet when I got home, she pulled it open. I went to Alpine Animal Hospital, her regular vet clinic. Got some pain meds, wound washed out & stapled shut, cone of shame, some treats and the company of a bunch of ladies...lucky dog.

Cost was a fraction of what the 24 hour place quoted me. The Vet has a couple Versatile Gun Dogs as well and said this is a common occurrence and I will get well versed in dealing with wounds on my dog.
Go back in to weeks to get the staples out.

Awesome, glad to hear you didn't end up having to get hosed by the Pembina Emergency hospital.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
What's health insurance cost for a dog? I imagine there are deductibles and limits - but it seems like a lot of pet owners end up facing some steep bills at some point.

I think it's about $15-20 a month? But if you have an older dog/rescue/pre existing condition with your dog I think it's a lot more. Basically only useful to get when you get a puppy. Since our dogs are the former there's no point really. Also they have a cap for amount you can claim, I believe. It's kind of a scam, in my opinion.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I think it's about $15-20 a month? But if you have an older dog/rescue/pre existing condition with your dog I think it's a lot more. Basically only useful to get when you get a puppy. Since our dogs are the former there's no point really. Also they have a cap for amount you can claim, I believe. It's kind of a scam, in my opinion.

If you run the numbers and look at what they cover/don't cover, it's a scam. The wife and I have a separate fund to cover emergencies for our pets - we throw $50/mo into an account and let it sit there to account for the inevitable with our pets. Makes it sting a lot less, and at least we're making a few $$ on the interest rather than paying for sub-optimal coverage plan that we'd have to shell out money to cover things it doesn't cover.

Reactions: kanadalainen

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
If you run the numbers and look at what they cover/don't cover, it's a scam. The wife and I have a separate fund to cover emergencies for our pets - we throw $50/mo into an account and let it sit there to account for the inevitable with our pets. Makes it sting a lot less, and at least we're making a few $$ on the interest rather than paying for sub-optimal coverage plan that we'd have to shell out money to cover things it doesn't cover.

That's actually a good idea, I'm going to talk to my wife about making a vet fund for our pets.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I was quoted $250 for my puppy; when I said that’s not bad for a year, they said that was per month!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad