Post-Game Talk: Jets lose in OT to Bedard 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
On a different night the second line walks away with 3 goals and all have multipoint games. They really need to get a 1 shot scorer to play with Cole to get the more out of his playmaking.

1st line wasn't as good as they have been and the pp was awful as per usual.

Still the boys ayed really well and if the bounces break a little different we win handedly.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Getting goalied is part of hockey. Most nights when it happens to you, you don’t get a point.

Onward.
Getting the loser point in loses is actually looking like one of the big differences from this season and last. How soon people forget, but just last season we only had 1 less win than Dallas, but they had a much higher percentage of their loses produce them a point. That ended up being the difference being the 2nd wildcard team Vs 1 point off the division lead.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Scheifele has been great all year, he's going to have off nights just like every single other player in the NHL . I'm not worried at all about Scheifele.
That is where coaching comes in. If a guy or a line doesn’t “have it” that might, like you said no big deal it happens to everyone, but then why did 55 play almost 25 mins including multiple shifts in OT? Play someone else a bit more if 55 isn’t going that night.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The Jets generated the same amount of expected goals on the power play as they did on the penalty kill last night. That’s not good.
Yeah, 0.04 xGF on 6:38 of powerplay time...0.36 xGF/60...on the power play? Anthony Peluso generated more offense. Pathetic!

Jets are dead last in the NHL in xGF/60 on the powerplay, generating just 5.94. League average is 8.22.

I doubt Chevy takes any drastic action here with the Jets in the position they are. Like, he's not firing Lauer mid-season. Maybe they could hire someone on a consulting basis...an assistant to the assistant?

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I understand Perfetti and Vilardi aren't the fastest guys on the team, but their hockey sense and hands should get them some OT time. Put one of them out with ehlers and jomo and the other with schief and pionk and there's enough speed out there to be OK

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I understand Perfetti and Vilardi aren't the fastest guys on the team, but their hockey sense and hands should get them some OT time. Put one of them out with ehlers and jomo and the other with schief and pionk and there's enough speed out there to be OK

Agreed. It's not about skating speed anyhow its all about puck control in ot and those two excel at it.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Yeah, 0.04 xGF on 6:38 of powerplay time...0.36 xGF/60...on the power play? Anthony Peluso generated more offense. Pathetic!

Jets are dead last in the NHL in xGF/60 on the powerplay, generating just 5.94. League average is 8.22.

I doubt Chevy takes any drastic action here with the Jets in the position they are. Like, he's not firing Lauer mid-season. Maybe they could hire someone on a consulting basis...an assistant to the assistant?
I don't even think it's the coaches. I think the pp is in their own head. They're on fire 5v5 then we get a pp and the players stand around, handle the puck like a grenade and get outworked.

The team has to make it fun. Split the talent equally between the 2 pps and make a contest. Give the pp that is generating the most chances the lions share of pp time that game.

Right now they're overthinking out and trying to force plays that aren't there.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

To me it's the players more so then the coaches. It's been like this through a couple of coaches now. Where the coach needs to assert himself is in rocking the boat and taking Mark out of the hb spot and putting Cole there.

I don't even think it's the coaches. I think the pp is in their own head. They're on fire 5v5 then we get a pp and the players stand around, handle the puck like a grenade and get outworked.

The team has to make it fun. Split the talent equally between the 2 pps and make a contest. Give the pp that is generating the most chances the lions share of pp time that game.

Bones was doing that last game before the break when the second unit was going but tonight neither unit was going.

Reactions: Jack7222

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
That is where coaching comes in. If a guy or a line doesn’t “have it” that might, like you said no big deal it happens to everyone, but then why did 55 play almost 25 mins including multiple shifts in OT? Play someone else a bit more if 55 isn’t going that night.
I agree, some of those extra minutes is because of PP time but ya Bowness should be a little more aware of that.

Reactions: GNP and surixon

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
To me it's the players more so then the coaches. It's been like this through a couple of coaches now. Where the coach needs to assert himself is in rocking the boat and taking Mark out of the hb spot and putting Cole there.

Bones was doing that last game before the break when the second unit was going but tonight neither unit was going.

I think it’s getting to the point where they should just run 4 lines on the powerplay the same as they do on 5v5, just to shake things up. I agree that it’s not the scheme, it’s the players.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Yeah, I'm not sure why Ehlers is so polarizing here. One group wants him gone and the other has a bubble of no criticism wrapped around him.

That line has been dynamite but imo they were the only players who really didn't seem ready for the game.

The rest of the team was dialed in and if it weren't for some unfortunate luck we would have walked away with the win despite them.

I expect that line to come out on fire in our b2b against the putrid puppies

Once he gets some man size watch out.

Could be be better than mcjesus?
Ehlers was the best player on that line, by a large margin I think, but, he really wasn't up to his average game.

Does anyone know what the story with Gus was? Toni was good last night. But, should be pretty low on depth roster when healthy.

Reactions: hn777 and Jet

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Either the coaches have a solid powerplay plan and the players refuse to change positions and/or execute it, or maybe Brad Lauer isn't the brilliant tactician we thought he was... :sarcasm:

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
On a different night the second line walks away with 3 goals and all have multipoint games. They really need to get a 1 shot scorer to play with Cole to get the more out of his playmaking.

1st line wasn't as good as they have been and the pp was awful as per usual.

Still the boys ayed really well and if the bounces break a little different we win handedly.
I've heard about this kid, Kyle something. Eats a lot of chicken but can put the puck in the net. Might work?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Either the coaches have a solid powerplay plan and the players refuse to change positions and/or execute it, or maybe Brad Lauer isn't the brilliant tactician we thought he was... :sarcasm:
Here's the weird thing - idk if you remember, but our pp looked excellent in preseason and early in the regular season. They were moving around, finding seams and doing innovative stuff like walking to the front of the net from the side when they were given ice, shifting the puck from side to side by using the back of the net, etc.

Then the players seemed to go back to their static play when they're looking to either set up a one t for Connor or Scheifele, or that bumper shot.

So in a sense I think it is coaching to an extent
Tired of getting goalied, especially by bad teams with bad goalies.
Hockey might not be the game for you, then.

Last edited:

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Agreed. It's not about skating speed anyhow its all about puck control in ot and those two excel at it.
I think a lot 3v3 OT is speed.
There is no real positional hockey taking place out there in this format - the ice is wide open for anyone who can take that space.
Players need to have speed to open up space or beat the one on one situations that are in.
And if they are not fast (or quick) enough to open up space, they will need to be able to win one on one battles - and that's not Cole's strong point either.

I'm not against Cole getting more ice in OT - I'd like to see more of what he can do in that format and that's really the only way we'll know if he can be effective in that situation.

Reactions: hn777

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Here's the weird thing - idk if you remember, but our pp looked excellent in preseason and early in the regular season. They were moving around, finding seams and doing innovative stuff like walking to the front of the net from the side when they were given ice, shifting the puck from side to side by using the back of the net, etc.

Then the players seemed to go back to their static play when they're looking to either set up a one t for Connor or Scheifele, or that bumper shot.

So in a sense I think it is coaching to an extent

Hockey might not be the game for you, then.
Just seems weird that this team is buying in 110% at 5v5 and getting great results but they're not listening on the powerplay? When it clearly sucks and isn't getting good results?

Reactions: Jet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad