Post-Game Talk: Jets lose in OT 4-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Have you noticed that when you post a video which is non-musical it frequently involves violence? Someone is hit or injured or falls down or is hurt in someway.

I enjoy The Dude's contributions here immensely, even without sharing your taste in music, but I wonder why your sense of humour so often leans towards someone being physically injured.
I laugh if i fall down :laugh: and i post all kinds of music, what music do you like? I probably won't like it but i could post a tune for you if you like considering i have posted music from Dean Martin all the way to Metallica . I also don't think i only post gifs of people getting hurt i try and post stuff that i think is funny but thanks for the critique.
Now i think that's funny.:laugh:

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Here`s the troubling thing fellas. We do NOT have a coach that ,when things take a turn down, can assess what is happening and make an adjustment or two which corrects things. He is not that type of coach at all. Think about what he is publicly saying recently - the foundation of his coaching method is hard work and the only way to correct the downturn is to now work harder! Regrettably, thoughtful lineup adjustments and adjustments to deployment do not seem to be his strength.

Nobody would ever identify Bones as a master tactician for sure :sarcasm: but there has always been precious little tactical or strategic input to what the team does either 5v5 or specialty teams. It`s basic up and down hockey with emphasis to support and defensive responsibilities.If the coach`s really haven`t got past that and considered at least some of the tactical considerations ( ie set plays to enter the offensive zone), improvement will be slow and drawnout.

Reactions: hn777

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
The Jets were a good team for a while, getting Vezina goaltending and really strong 5v5 play at both ends. Special teams have generally sucked. Anyway, they aren't a very good team now. Maybe Vilardi coming back will help...

Well... :sarcasm:

View attachment 842280

View attachment 842281

Charts by Aavco (I added the Connor Injury lines). https://twitter.com/aavcoCup/
Jesus. That's scary. I mean there's some schedule effects there but not THAT much

Use the ignore button.
Or she could just talk about hockey instead of ruining the last bit of fun we have left haha

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Here`s the troubling thing fellas. We do NOT have a coach that ,when things take a turn down, can assess what is happening and make an adjustment or two which corrects things. He is not that type of coach at all. Think about what he is publicly saying recently - the foundation of his coaching method is hard work and the only way to correct the downturn is to now work harder! Regrettably, thoughtful lineup adjustments and adjustments to deployment do not seem to be his strength.

Nobody would ever identify Bones as a master tactician for sure :sarcasm: but there has always been precious little tactical or strategic input to what the team does either 5v5 or specialty teams. It`s basic up and down hockey with emphasis to support and defensive responsibilities.If the coach`s really haven`t got past that and considered at least some of the tactical considerations ( ie set plays to enter the offensive zone), improvement will be slow and drawnout.
Amazing how this post could be about Noel, Maurice, Lowry or anyone really...

If the players stop playing your system, you don't just draw up a new plan to accommodate them... you're just fkd- ask Todd McClellan or Daryl Sutter

tarozi

Oct 4, 2019
I have a couple of comments...

First our pp is too predictable when Mark gets the puck on the hw. He turns into Wheeler. Time to get selfish Mark and shoot the puck!!!! Also not enough moving pieces. Everyone just goes to their spot and waits for something that just never presents itself.

I know this is going to rub everyone raw but Ehlers is not what everyone makes him out to be. Wayyyy to much East/West and a turn over machine. Sorry, but this version of Ehlers does not fit the Jets structure. He passes the puck 75% of the time to empty spots, very similar to PLD in that manner.

Finally, this team struggles to produce quality offense or is it more execute finish?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I'd say they've been great lately until their latest slump. It was terrible last night. But it was really good for a long while after picking up Monahan, so I think it'll be fine.
The Jets had 4 powerplay goals in 16 games from January 1 to February 16. 7th worst shots/60 (47.28), 8th worst in xGF/60 (6.68), dead last in goals/60 (2.87),

Then they went on a tear from February 17th to March 15th when they had 14 powerplay goals in 15 games. Still had the 9th worst shots/60 (50.9 +3.62), 13th worst xGF/60 (8.13 +1.45), but the best goals/60 (14.85 +11.98). Brad Lauer sure didn't fix the underlying numbers much...the Jets just got some unsustainable scoring from slightly improved metrics.

Now 1 powerplay goal in the last 6 games...small sample alert, but: 5th worst shots/60 (36.85), 3rd worst xGF/60 (4.78), 2nd worst goals/60. Back to the drawing board, Brad Lauer...

Reactions: hn777 and Ponds

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I thought that too until I looked into it. Power play minutes per game actually go up slightly in the playoffs, or at least in the couple of recent seasons I looked at

I think one of the reasons we bounced Edmonton in the bubble year was because we managed to smother mcdavid without taking penalties
Players are so good at drawing penalties these days ... I'm pretty sure the refs know this and don't want to decide games especially in the playoffs.
I get pissed off when I see a player step on a stick and he falls and its a penalty because it looks like a trip. I also noticed McDavid doing this a few times ... he holds a players stick close to his body and when the player pull his stick away McDavid makes it look like he is being held.

Reactions: Stumbledore

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015

If the players stop playing your system, you don't just draw up a new plan to accommodate them... you're just fkd- ask Todd McClellan or Daryl Sutter
Certainly an element of truth in this when it comes to the coach`s selected by this organization. I`m maybe wishfully thinking that we could get someone like Jon Cooper who seems able to make adjustments and integrate new players with immediate recognizeable improvements to the team

I`m definitely not advocating that Bones now draw up a new plan to accomodate them but I am concerned that he does not know how to get back to playing his plan more effectively

Reactions: hn777 and surixon

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Have you noticed that when you post a video which is non-musical it frequently involves violence? Someone is hit or injured or falls down or is hurt in someway.

I enjoy The Dude's contributions here immensely, even without sharing your taste in music, but I wonder why your sense of humour so often leans towards someone being physically injured.
That guy was not hurt. He did not hit his head so any injury is minor and it was all self-inflicted.

Reactions: Cypruss and Jets 31

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

Yup - his approach is keep it simple via hard work.
That's probably over simplifying the plan but at a high level, that's the plan.

The tactical part to his approach is based on creating offense off turnovers - and it's a great approach for a team that doesn't get much done out of their zone and off the rush. Breaking up plays in the Nzone is a great way to drive offense against a team that is caught heading in the wrong direction and poorly positioned to defend - and it's not complex because it doesn't have to be.

If we stray off this approach, we are back to gaining the zone against a set defense - and then the tables turn - defenders are pressuring us through the Nzone and we are turning it over - at least that's what I see.
So, other than Ehlers, who do we have that is good off the rush and gaining the zone? I remember what that team looked like and it helps me understand why they have gone with the hard work approach to not only limit dzone time but creating their offense via transition.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Which begs the question, does this org bring in the correct coaches for the players they have.

Bones is a system/role coach. His system is hard nose defensive hockey. Nothing wrong with it as it's a viable scheme and can work with this group when everyone is fully bought in. But it's a scheme that fits better the Lowry/Nino player profile.

Here is where I have a hard time with the org. They seem to prefer a certain type of game plan. They want the pack of wolves, hard forecheck, battle on the wall and infront of the net for tips and rebound game. But they then spend so much high end draft capital on pieces that this type of game plan doesn't come naturally to.

Our best offensive players are all high IQ possesion type players where they score off of pulling the opposition out of shape and manipulating/finding space. So we have a bit of discrepancy between how our skilled players want to play and how the coach wants them to play.

We saw it last year and it lead to a Scheifele/Bones media disagreement and we are seeing more and more of it this year.

So I guess the question is should the org be looking more for a coach that has a game plan based more around that of our skilled players or should we be trading our skilled players for skilled players that have games that fit the template.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
I've considered this a few times. Maybe schief likes to play with Connor more than Ehlers (I can understand why). Bones gets cornered by one of the "Ehlers must play top line" guys from here at Subway and is talked into making the switch

Next day, chevy pops his head into Bone's office and says "I just got off the phone with schief's agent, he's gonna ask for a trade if he has to keep playing with ehlers"

What do you do?
So now a guy in a Subway runs the Jets. Only if he withholds his dollars and even then he's outnumbered.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Jets are 0-2 vs Vegas this season despite outshooting them 31-26 and 39-27 but if you look at the special teams Vegas went 2/2 and 2/4 on the PPs in those 2 games. This was early in the season and now its late in the season and the same problems have not been fixed.

Reactions: Stumbledore

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
They've had all freaking season to work on the PP and it is putrid.

The team was playing well before KC went down. It's not like he got hurt and the Jets started playing better.
the PP was still bad during the KC injury-era. however their 5v5 scoring was excellent and was carrying them.

through the 16 gms
3rd in 5v5 GF/60 (just a tick behind EDM at #2)
29th in PP GF/60

idk how they can view the PP and not make fundamental systematic changes. they've had a couple hot spurts ie: when Monahan first came, last night's double-minor showing was v bad.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

I laugh if i fall down :laugh: and i post all kinds of music, what music do you like? I probably won't like it but i could post a tune for you if you like considering i have posted music from Dean Martin all the way to Metallica . I also don't think i only post gifs of people getting hurt i try and post stuff that i think is funny but thanks for the critique.

For some reason, I think we're wired to get a kick out of people hurting themselves - but just a little bit. There's nothing funny about someone getting seriously injured or injured by someone else

Maybe it's a boy thing

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
the PP was still bad during the KC injury-era. however their 5v5 scoring was excellent and was carrying them.

through the 16 gms
3rd in 5v5 GF/60 (just a tick behind EDM at #2)
29th in PP GF/60

idk how they can view the PP and not make fundamental systematic changes. they've had a couple hot spurts ie: when Monahan first came, last night's double-minor showing was v bad.
It's strange. Every team plays the same 1-3-1/overload set up, but other teams come up with creative ways to make passing and shooting lanes through player and puck movement, but we don't

I actually think that's one of the reasons there was an uptick when Monahan came over. He used what he did his spot in the bumper in MTL to move high to low, inside outside, etc that made opposition have to react. It especially helped vilardi down low because all of a sudden teams couldn't cheat towards him and had to respect Monahan

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Certainly an element of truth in this when it comes to the coach`s selected by this organization. I`m maybe wishfully thinking that we could get someone like Jon Cooper who seems able to make adjustments and integrate new players with immediate recognizeable improvements to the team

I`m definitely not advocating that Bones now draw up a new plan to accomodate them but I am concerned that he does not know how to get back to playing his plan more effectively
You can't draw up a new plan if you don't have the players. Bones structure covers up the Jets weakest ... the defense. Demelo, Poink, Schmidt are not going to win you too many defensive battles. You need big tough defensemen especially for the playoffs or a good skating D man who can carry the puck out of the zone.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It's strange. Every team plays the same 1-3-1/overload set up, but other teams come up with creative ways to make passing and shooting lanes through player and puck movement, but we don't

I actually think that's one of the reasons there was an uptick when Monahan came over. He used what he did his spot in the bumper in MTL to move high to low, inside outside, etc that made opposition have to react. It especially helped vilardi down low because all of a sudden teams couldn't cheat towards him and had to respect Monahan

The issue to me is Mark and KC. They are very stationary on the pp. So unless you have players creating additional room for them they struggle as they don't create space for themselves.

Ponds

ꮯꭺꭲꭺꮯꮮꭹꮪꮇ!
Nov 2, 2023
Anacita
For some reason, I think we're wired to get a kick out of people hurting themselves - but just a little bit. There's nothing funny about someone getting seriously injured or injured by someone else

Maybe it's a boy thing
Totally and it's something the brain is able to discern in the moment. A devastating injury or brutal violence shouldn't garner a chuckle. Honestly, I try to avoid viewing things of that nature as much as possible. Good to keep the mind free of it.

A ball to the groin though.. that's a classic comedic trope!

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

I also find the coach talking about "working hard" and such stuff in context of the recent run as frustrating. There is no PL Dubos going out for a casual skate on this team. Pionk has struggled mighty lately but can anyone question his hard work or effort level? Even Connor whose defensive play has been much the topic of discussion, I doubt many will find the root cause of that as a "lack of hard work".

The Jets had 4 powerplay goals in 16 games from January 1 to February 16. 7th worst shots/60 (47.28), 8th worst in xGF/60 (6.68), dead last in goals/60 (2.87),

Then they went on a tear from February 17th to March 15th when they had 14 powerplay goals in 15 games. Still had the 9th worst shots/60 (50.9 +3.62), 13th worst xGF/60 (8.13 +1.45), but the best goals/60 (14.85 +11.98). Brad Lauer sure didn't fix the underlying numbers much...the Jets just got some unsustainable scoring from slightly improved metrics.

Now 1 powerplay goal in the last 6 games...small sample alert, but: 5th worst shots/60 (36.85), 3rd worst xGF/60 (4.78), 2nd worst goals/60. Back to the drawing board, Brad Lauer...

I am pretty much resigned to the fact that the special teams are going to continue to be shit. This is game 71, the issue has been apparent for months and shows no sign of improvement esp the PK, if they haven't figured anything by now doubt they will. Maybe Vilardi can help the PP but as you pointed out that run involved a good deal of shooting luck and to be honest I don't know if he's gonna be able to play consistently anyways due to his injuries.

They might have a chance in the playoffs if they can get their 5v5 mojo back which we know they can as they have earlier in the season. That atleast gives them a chance to win despite their significantly below par PP and PK. But if all 3 of PP, PK and 5v5 are below par then you are in tough and relying on the goalie to win you games.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
The issue to me is Mark and KC. They are very stationary on the pp. So unless you have players creating additional room for them they struggle as they don't create space for themselves.
I love schief but to me he's more of a shooter than a passer. Having the PP run though him on the half-wall isn't ideal. He's better suited as a trigger man

Watch Edmonton.. everyone knows that Drai is gonna get that puck and bury it on his off wing. But the reason it works is because they're so good at creating rhe idea that he's not going to get it and someone else will get rhe chance that teams have to defend elsewhere, which is ultimately when he gets it.

Our PP isn't fooling anyone. PKers can basically stand still and take away shooting and passing lanes with their sticks

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

I suppose... but I think when a team has leaders like Stamkos, Marchand, Stone... these guys have a trickle down effect in the room and they keep other players accountable - I don't see that in the Jets... Lowry is a great leader but he can't take the team on his back

Scheifele was leading in the first half of the year... now he's back to gliding off the ice - he can't go beast mode and then coast for four games

At the end of the season, there will be a group of posters that say 'hey we played well and our shooting percentage just dried up' and 'oh the coaches cant run special teams'... but the real story is that the Jets top line is not putting the second effort in that it did in the first half of the season.

When your best players not dominating, its hard for the rest of the lineup to compensate... and its even harder when you consider Pionk to be one of your 'best' players haha.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I love schief but to me he's more of a shooter than a passer. Having the PP run though him on the half-wall isn't ideal. He's better suited as a trigger man

Watch Edmonton.. everyone knows that Drai is gonna get that puck and bury it on his off wing. But the reason it works is because they're so good at creating rhe idea that he's not going to get it and someone else will get rhe chance that teams have to defend elsewhere, which is ultimately when he gets it.

Our PP isn't fooling anyone. PKers can basically stand still and take away shooting and passing lanes with their sticks

Agreed. He's at his best in the bumper with that release of his. Also agree on the Oilers PP. There is a tonne of movement, switches and deception. That is why it's so damn dangerous, you don't know where they will attack from.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I suppose... but I think when a team has leaders like Stamkos, Marchand, Stone... these guys have a trickle down effect in the room and they keep other players accountable - I don't see that in the Jets... Lowry is a great leader but he can't take the team on his back

Scheifele was leading in the first half of the year... now he's back to gliding off the ice - he can't go beast mode and then coast for four games

At the end of the season, there will be a group of posters that say 'hey we played well and our shooting percentage just dried up' and 'oh the coaches cant run special teams'... but the real story is that the Jets top line is not putting the second effort in that it did in the first half of the season.

When your best players not dominating, its hard for the rest of the lineup to compensate... and its even harder when you consider Pionk to be one of your 'best' players haha.

It could be he's played too much and therefore can't maintain the caliber of play required. Stamkos plays almost 2 minutes less a game, Marchand one minute less a game etc.

Bones has a demanding hard working scheme. Maybe he needs to adjust deployment so that Mark is more fresh and can better lead by example.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country

Consider who you’re responding to Dude. You are doing nothing wrong in fact you make GDTs more enjoyable than you think. This other posters views are twisting what I believe you trying to convey.

You rock don’t let anyone try to tell you differently. Ignore the whiners as some of those have trouble ignoring themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00