Post-Game Talk: Jets lose in OT 4-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I'm waiting to see how the PP is once Vilardi is back. I *think* it was at its best after we got Monahan, but before Vilardo went down

As for Lauer... to be fair, i don't think that the Jets have practiced more than once in March with the crazy schedule. That top unit with Toffoli certainly hasn't had much time to iron out their kinks in practice. It does make a huge difference

There should be time in April both during the end of the season and in the time between the season and the playoffs to get everyone on the same page with special teams. Then we'll just have to see if they can execute
They've had all freaking season to work on the PP and it is putrid.

The team was playing well before KC went down. It's not like he got hurt and the Jets started playing better.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Honestly if we are that dependent on a single player to make the PP passable then we are in deep trouble. Especially as that player can't seem to stay healthy.

My issue with the pp is that they are stubborn. They continually try to run the same scheme no matter the pieces. All they do is swap out the bumper and down low player. If you don't have the pieces to run the scheme , then come up with a different scheme to better optimize what you have.

It's flat out embarrassing that no matter how bad our pp is there is zero change to the scheme. Why are we paying these coaches millions a year to keep their heads buried in the sand.
True. I note that yesterday the bumper position guy was out of position a lot.

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
They had such a textbook first, only a couple of minor mistakes but then in the second you could just gradually see them start to lose focus, start handing picks to the Oilers all over the ice and they fed off of that.

I would have called a time out and read them the riot act.
I was only able to watch the first period and agree with your assessment. I also agree with your timeout comment. I don't know about other teams but having watched the the Jets often, I question the the coaches' overall use of timeouts. They seem to think that it can/should only be used in the last minute or two of a game. Dinosaur thinking and we all know what happened to the dinosaurs.

kanadalainen

Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian

The team was playing well before KC went down. It's not like he got hurt and the Jets started playing better.

You are not wrong. The team seems to know it too, and they sag with the first or second clear by the opposition. *That* is definitely coachable, and O-zone possession could be corrected. A small tweak.

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
I gotta say I'm starting to get a bit concerned. The team can't seem to put multiple good periods of hockey together.

I don't really care about wins right now I just want to see this team have some f***ing mental fortitude and I'm not seeing it.

Join us...
200w.gif

kanadalainen

Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
The powerplay is going to f*** us in the playoffs.

It's almost criminal that a team with so many weapons can be so absolutely incompetent with an extra man.

I'd fire Lauer. I don't give a shit that there's 10 games left.
Yep agree. Lauer should really be gone..

Upside... shakes the team up, gives a different plan with time left in the season.

Whats the downside?

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011

It's almost criminal that a team with so many weapons can be so absolutely incompetent with an extra man.

Agreed. Even having no coach might improve it at this point. Show the team you are serious about figuring this out. Can anyone visually see any difference between the PP now and game 1 of the season? I can't.

Reactions: hn777 and Ponds

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I was only able to watch the first period and agree with your assessment. I also agree with your timeout comment. I don't know about other teams but having watched the the Jets often, I question the the coaches' overall use of timeouts. They seem to think that it can/should only be used in the last minute or two of a game. Dinosaur thinking and we all know what happened to the dinosaurs.
They always save it and honestly how often is it used?

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Honestly if we are that dependent on a single player to make the PP passable then we are in deep trouble. Especially as that player can't seem to stay healthy.

My issue with the pp is that they are stubborn. They continually try to run the same scheme no matter the pieces. All they do is swap out the bumper and down low player. If you don't have the pieces to run the scheme , then come up with a different scheme to better optimize what you have.

It's flat out embarrassing that no matter how bad our pp is there is zero change to the scheme. Why are we paying these coaches millions a year to keep their heads buried in the sand.
Special teams is the problem right now. I'm not even sure it's a matter of strategy/technique. We just don't look like we have much confidence with the puck. I want to see quick, crisp passing, quick shots and a little swagger.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
They always save it and honestly how often is it used?

I think coaches rely on TV timeouts for that kind of thing a lot now. After the two quick Jets goals in the 3rd and then Skinner had to make a nice glove save to keep it tied, I thought the Oilers might look at taking a timeout but there was a TV stoppage so no need.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

When we get possession, every jet is within a few feet of the boards or the blue line. There is no one within a stick length of the net. The team seems to think that they get points for making the longest or most difficult pass through traffic.

Stick someone in the goalie’s face and take some shots. Successful PPs aren’t usually rocket science.

Not related to your post Jet, but my other observation on the PP is similar to regular play. If KC is on the ice, you only have two forwards who are going to try to retain or gain possession, thus neutering that line. If he isn’t gifted the puck, he is simply not helping his linemates. This will be hugely detrimental in the playoffs when teams specifically target him (I know this part of my post will bring much consternation).

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Well, I didn't make it to the arena like I had initially hoped, but I did make it to the blackjack table at Shark Club and caught the 2nd + 3rd. I even left up a few hundred before I stumbled away. So taking the Jets loss into account, I'd give the night about a 7/10.

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
When we get possession, every jet is within a few feet of the boards or the blue line. There is no one within a stick length of the net. The team seems to think that they get points for making the longest or most difficult pass through traffic.

Stick someone in the goalie’s face and take some shots. Successful PPs aren’t usually rocket science.

Not related to your post Jet, but my other observation on the PP is similar to regular play. If KC is on the ice, you only have two forwards who are going to try to retain or gain possession, thus neutering that line. If he isn’t gifted the puck, he is simply not helping his linemates. This will be hugely detrimental in the playoffs when teams specifically target him (I know this part of my post will bring much consternation).

Time for another Perimeter Power Play, brought to you by the City of Winnipeg Public Works Department!

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
I get we lost but jeez, you guys are damn bummers. Great game. They fought against a tough opponent, came back from down two, got a point and lost it in the novelty hockey. I don't think you guys are viewing this game fairly, I think you're still a little pissed off from the last three games. But watching this one all on its own it was a good effort where they came up short. It happens. I'm encouraged after this game tonight.
I’d love to know your thoughts on our special teams?

Reactions: hn777

kanadalainen

Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Well, I didn't make it to the arena like I had initially hoped, but I did make it to the blackjack table at Shark Club and caught the 2nd + 3rd. I even left up a few hundred before I stumbled away. So taking the Jets loss into account, I'd give the night about a 7/10.
If I ever had the skill and luck to be up $200 at blackjack that would get into automatic 9/10 range for any given evening. :)

Nicely done!

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I don’t know what happened to this team.

They play nothing like they did during the ‘streak’ anymore. We are not skilled enough to play the way we are, and our special teams are still dog shit. Coaching is not doing us any favours. If bones can’t get the guys to play his system like they were earlier in the season then he is useless because the special teams and his lineup decisions stink.

Every team in the west should be clamouring to play us right now.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don’t know what happened to this team.

They play nothing like they did during the ‘streak’ anymore. We are not skilled enough to play the way we are, and our special teams are still dog shit. Coaching is not doing us any favours. If bones can’t get the guys to play his system like they were earlier in the season then he is useless because the special teams and his lineup decisions stink.

Every team in the west should be clamouring to play us right now.

I wonder if overplaying our top line is coming back to hurt us again. Scheifele is starting to look gassed, and KC uninterested.

What use is having the depth we have if we can't more evenly distribute the ice time and keep players fresh. I know Mark is a fitness guru but he's not getting any younger and Bones runs a hard system.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

There was a stretch where I think it was clipping at 30%

I'm not saying it WILL get better when Vilardi comes back, I'm saying that I HOPE it gets better when he comes back

I realize that positive thoughts like that aren't allowed around here these days, but I'm gonna stick with it anyway. Costs me nothing

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Outshot 42-22 at home, yeah Jets pretenders

Think we all know the Preds gonna catch us and pass us!

Guess 4th place in the Central is where the team seems content to finish!

Preds have been one of the hottest teams in the NHL over the past 20 games or so. Over that same time the Jets are more or less win one lose one. Preds deserve whatever they get. Now the question is will the Preds remain red hot for another 10 games? At some point the clock will strike midnight for them.

Either way we will be facing a team that will be equally tough in the first round. At this point I am not concerned about who we play, I am only concerned with how we play.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
I didn't see the game but I have a hard time understanding some of the comments in here. We were down by two goals in the third period with only ten minutes left in the game. Instead of giving up, we battled back to tie it and lost in overtime while missing a few golden chances to score. According to the Edmonton Journal and the Edmonton Sun, the Oilers had to struggle to overcome a "skilled, gritty team that never quits".

And in the larger picture, Colorado and Calgary and Carolina and the Leafs and Panthers and Red Wings all lost games they were supposed to win. Imagine the shame of being beaten by Chicago! I haven't gone to check other boards (life is too busy) but I'll wager that their fans aren't leaping off tall buildings today or opening a vein or predicting four and out for the playoffs. And then there's our board.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
I liked how we came back from being down 3-1 in the 3rd but that PP....:laugh:

Have you noticed that when you post a video which is non-musical it frequently involves violence? Someone is hit or injured or falls down or is hurt in someway.

I enjoy The Dude's contributions here immensely, even without sharing your taste in music, but I wonder why your sense of humour so often leans towards someone being physically injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad