Post-Game Talk: Jets lose in OT 4-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
The Jets were a good team for a while, getting Vezina goaltending and really strong 5v5 play at both ends. Special teams have generally sucked. Anyway, they aren't a very good team now. Maybe Vilardi coming back will help...

Well... :sarcasm:

View attachment 842280

View attachment 842281

Charts by Aavco (I added the Connor Injury lines). https://twitter.com/aavcoCup/
From the start of November until his injury the team was 11-5. That is on pace for 113 point season.
I think they went 12-4 without him. That is pretty close to identical records. I am not counting the game he was injured.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Last two years he's looked sooo reluctant to shoot it's ridiculous.

When we were crushing on the PP Laine and Buff were obviously a big part of it, but we scored just as many goals from Schief in the high slot
Laine had his own gravitational pull worth of defenders that opened up scheifele. Coupled that with quicker puck movement. That doesn't exist anymore.

I like the idea of him shooting more for sure his shot can be V quick and accurate. He also is not Mackinnon he doesnt have that "bull in China shop" play style where can come barreling down on defenders.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Chevy tells Scheifele s agent to stuff it and that he is here for 8 more years, so he better get used to the coach actually being the coach. After that, as coach, you make the lineup based on what will best help the team win hockey games
In theory, great

In reality, you have a malcontent star for 8 years and an agent who spreads the word around the league that management won't work with players

That mindset used to work... nowadays you're dealing with millionaire athletes, many of whom have never had a real job in their lives. Times have changed

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
In theory, great

In reality, you have a malcontent star for 8 years and an agent who spreads the word around the league that management won't work with players

That mindset used to work... nowadays you're dealing with millionaire athletes, many of whom have never had a real job in their lives. Times have changed

Yup. You have to figure out how to get them to want to do something.

I'm sure that's why the newbies are almost always put in the bumper. The stars don't want that role.

jetter17

Jan 22, 2024
Manitoba
When I played and then coached hockey the players were given a general plan for the powerplay but we were able to adapt to what the defense was doing. You can draw it up on a whiteboard but unless the PK is using the same system its pretty much useless. Players have to recognize the positioning and position accordingly. I'm sure the Jets are aware of this but it seems like they keep trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. Defense is a different story though. You have to play with structure and discipline. Be creative on offense, disciplined on defense.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
See, we are fans that obsessively follow the team, whereas beat writers have to attach a narrative to any game story. They only have to watch our team two to three times a year.
I understand what you're saying, which is essentially the point I was making. The beat writer describes the opposing team that s/he sees on that evening. And the Edmonton writers saw a Jets team that was "skilled" and "gritty" and "never quit" and a variety of other positive labels.

Assuming that the Edmonton writers are objective/indifferent towards the Jets, I found it interesting to compare their comments to all the hyper-criticism that was fomenting here.

(I may not have much hockey knowledge but who else uses 'promulgate' and 'foment' in here, hey?)

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Good observation. I think he may try to emulate Crosby a bit on the pp. Crosby doesn't take the puck to attack much these days. But what Sid does that Mark doesn't is he continually moves to different spots and when he gets the puck it's off his stick in a nano second. Either as a pass or a shot/tip.
Its fair to say that he has changed his style since the knee injury... Adam Oates has come out and said that he coaches players on how to play to stay healthy - I think that is definitely part of it.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I understand what you're saying, which is essentially the point I was making. The beat writer describes the opposing team that s/he sees on that evening. And the Edmonton writers saw a Jets team that was "skilled" and "gritty" and "never quit" and a variety of other positive labels.

Assuming that the Edmonton writers are objective/indifferent towards the Jets, I found it interesting to compare their comments to all the hyper-criticism that was fomenting here.

(I may not have much hockey knowledge but who else uses 'promulgate' and 'foment' in here, hey?)
I think people's reactions to the game last night are more a reflection of themselves and their outlook on the team (and perhaps life in general) than the individual game itself

If I were a negative person, I'd watch that game and notice all the bad things that the Jets did and focus on those

A positive person would look for all the upside from the game and focus on that

Most people are somewhere in the middle and can recognize both the positives and the negatives

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
It would absolutely be a crazy scenario. Like, next to 0 percent chance of it happening.
Exactly the Blues have to play the Oilers, Preds, Canes and Stars ... all 4 of those teams are playing for 1st or better position ... if the Blues lose 3 games ... the Jets can go 0-10 and they would still make the playoffs.

Reactions: Inanna and Jets 31

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Exactly the Blues have to play the Oilers, Preds, Canes and Stars ... all 4 of those teams are playing for 1st or better position ... if the Blues lose 3 games ... the Jets can go 0-10 and they would still make the playoffs.
One and nine, the Jets play the Flames in April.

Reactions: Inanna

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I think people's reactions to the game last night are more a reflection of themselves and their outlook on the team (and perhaps life in general) than the individual game itself

If I were a negative person, I'd watch that game and notice all the bad things that the Jets did and focus on those

A positive person would look for all the upside from the game and focus on that

Most people are somewhere in the middle and can recognize both the positives and the negatives
Exactly I don't have one problem with the OT too many negatives about that. Connor went to the net to try and win the game and it was a great stick check by the Oilers D. The crap about Connor coasting back is BS if you watch any OT it happens in almost every game. If Helle's first stop goes to Scheifele he passes it up the ice and Connor is on a breakaway. The puck went back to Hyman and he scored on the rebound ... s**t happens.
It was the special teams which has been a problem all season thats want people are so frustrated about.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Exactly I don't have one problem with the OT too many negatives about that. Connor went to the net to try and win the game and it was a great stick check by the Oilers D. The crap about Connor coasting back is BS if you watch any OT it happens in almost every game. If Helle's first stop goes to Scheifele he passes it up the ice and Connor is on a breakaway. The puck went back to Hyman and he scored on the rebound ... s**t happens.
It was the special teams which has been a problem all season thats want people are so frustrated about.
I didn't like the blind pass from Connor in OT either. Aside from that though, he didn't factor into that goal. It was 2v2 in our end and schief and pionk got crossed up and probably should have switched coverage, although I'm not sure how (or even if) they've been coached to do that

I expect to give up at least one PP goal to the Oilers per game, they're too good. Our PP was complete dogshit though

If the Jets go 0-10 to finish the year and still make the playoffs, I think even I'll be negative by then lol

Reactions: robertocarlos

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
IMO part of the Jets problem has to be mental toughness. They just aren't. When the going gets more times than not the fold.
All the other potential reasons are just lipstick on a pig. The schedule, fatigue, etc.
Sure they've come back when down a few times this season but this season as well as most other seasons when they get down they hang their heads and seem resigned to losing.
Fatigue? What team out there isn't fatigued right now. Someone would have to check but don't we always seem to have a worse record in the 2nd half of seasons when the games get tougher? Except for that one season where we were out of it but won our last 7 games or something to mess up our draft position, lol.
Why is it that right now with possible exception of F*ck Vegas every likely playoff team is firing on all cylinders but we are not.
Coaching in part yes I guess but it still comes back to the players executing on the ice.
Helle has been less than Helle most nights lately. Have we burned him out already.
I don't kno what to think anymore. We are limping into the playoffs for our guaranteed 2 home games and then it's off to the golf course, I guess.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Fatigue? What team out there isn't fatigued right now.
As I mentionned in a different post, Dallas Colorado and Nashville all played 3 fewer games than us in March and they all had at least 3 separate 2 day breaks this month (and one had an additional 3 day break). They all also had fewer back to backs

Then look at Dallas's schedule in February. It was similar to ours... 13 games in 23 days. They only won 6. Same with the Avs in December..

I'd argue that less rest is even tougher on players at this stage if the season than it was at the start

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
we missed the net on 4 grade a chances and had a powerplay go 0-5 with what? 1 shot on goal?

getting some shots/chances would also help us get momentum in the game, getting zero shots takes the momentum away

True. Special teams have been a problem all season. Like I said before, ST might have rescued that game. That is not the same as them being the cause of the loss though. How were we at 5v5?

Reactions: Moon Man

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
True. Special teams have been a problem all season. Like I said before, ST might have rescued that game. That is not the same as them being the cause of the loss though. How were we at 5v5?
1st/3rd were good, rough second, had a bunch of good looks that we didn't get on the net that could have changed the course of the game, still don't get how you can say that special teams could have rescued a game that we brought back to overtime... they could have won us the game by going 1 for 5 or they could have lost us the game by going 0-5 like they did last night

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I quess the same goes to any type of made up this what was said scenarios. They have the net effect of conveying that something totally made up actually happened.
It's fun to speculate, but at thr end if the day, that's all it is

I mentionned in an earlier post that Bones must have a reason that he has Connor stapled to Schief's hip this year

I'm fine saying "he has his reason, and I don't know what it is" and leaving it there. Other posters are positive that it's because he's too old and set in his ways, etc despite the fact that there's no actual proof of that. So speculating is one thing, but drawing conclusions is another

It's also useless to get pissed about his choices. That isn't changing anything either

Reactions: LowLefty

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
They've had all freaking season to work on the PP and it is putrid.

The team was playing well before KC went down. It's not like he got hurt and the Jets started playing better.

Jets powerplay wowy:

With Vilardi and Connor:
xG/60 - 9.14
G/60 - 10.26

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00