Post-Game Talk: Jets lose in OT 4-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
For some reason, I think we're wired to get a kick out of people hurting themselves - but just a little bit. There's nothing funny about someone getting seriously injured or injured by someone else

Maybe it's a boy thing
I agree, i don't think i have posted any gifs of someone getting violently hurt, not wanting to do that and i don't think that's funny.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
The issue to me is Mark and KC. They are very stationary on the pp. So unless you have players creating additional room for them they struggle as they don't create space for themselves.
The issue to me really is utilizing Mark the way they do. They are basically trying to run the PP through him and he simply does not have the skills to effectively do so. It goes well beyond how he positions himself ,and leans to lacking skills being a "quarterback".

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The issue to me really is utilizing Mark the way they do. They are basically trying to run the PP through him and he simply does not have the skills to effectively do so. It goes well beyond how he positions himself ,and leans to lacking skills being a "quarterback".

Yup, he's a very poor HB QB. I've been saying that for years but either the org can't recognize that or they are unwilling to rock the boat there.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Agreed. He's at his best in the bumper with that release of his. Also agree on the Oilers PP. There is a tonne of movement, switches and deception. That is why it's so damn dangerous, you don't know where they will attack from.
The Oilers PP also drives me nuts because a lot of that movement creates picks (probably by design) that forces teams so have to switch coverage and if they're a second late, they're picking the puck out of the net

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Yup, he's a very poor HB QB. I've been saying that for years but either the org can't recognize that or they are unwilling to rock the boat there.
Another issue is handedness of the personnel. Let's say you have schief as a right hand shot in the bumper... you're going to have to run the PP through the right half wall. Morrissey is your QB, and he's a lefty so it take away the one-timer threat.

One of the major reasons the PP was so deadly back in the day was because Wheeler had schief in the bumper, buff on the point and Laine on the far side as legit shot threats. They're trying to recreate it on the other side but it just doesn't work

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I laugh if i fall down :laugh: and i post all kinds of music, what music do you like? I probably won't like it but i could post a tune for you if you like considering i have posted music from Dean Martin all the way to Metallica . I also don't think i only post gifs of people getting hurt i try and post stuff that i think is funny but thanks for the critique.
Now i think that's funny

It's called physical comedy, has been around for 100 years and it's fine. Buster Keaton is, to this day, considered a legend as an actor-director from the silent film era and had a blast being thrown around and doing his own stunts.

Poor Jets 31 is taking an absolute beating these past couple of weeks, just like the Jets. ;)

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
I suppose... but I think when a team has leaders like Stamkos, Marchand, Stone... these guys have a trickle down effect in the room and they keep other players accountable - I don't see that in the Jets... Lowry is a great leader but he can't take the team on his back

Scheifele was leading in the first half of the year... now he's back to gliding off the ice - he can't go beast mode and then coast for four games

At the end of the season, there will be a group of posters that say 'hey we played well and our shooting percentage just dried up' and 'oh the coaches cant run special teams'... but the real story is that the Jets top line is not putting the second effort in that it did in the first half of the season.

When your best players not dominating, its hard for the rest of the lineup to compensate... and its even harder when you consider Pionk to be one of your 'best' players haha.
I have to say that I agree with this perspective for the most part. It`s the old saying -your best players have to be your best players. And when your best players are not only struggling to produce but noticeably making only half hearted attempts (like most of last night), you have a particularly bad situation. I was wondering earlier in this thread how the rest of the team must feel after working their butts off ,only to see the game slip away.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
When Wheeler was in his prime he was the setup guy setting up Connor and Scheifele on our PP, this is what we need to figure out. Can Monahan do this? I don't know maybe or Perfetti. At this point we have to try everything to get the PP halfway decent. You can't have a 4 minute PP and just be happy you didn't allow a shorty .:laugh:

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
It could be he's played too much and therefore can't maintain the caliber of play required. Stamkos plays almost 2 minutes less a game, Marchand one minute less a game etc.

Bones has a demanding hard working scheme. Maybe he needs to adjust deployment so that Mark is more fresh and can better lead by example.
Its hard to believe the excuse that Scheifele's cardio/focus can't last a full season... especially with Morrissey playing harder minutes and holding up... all the top contenders have a hard working scheme.

There really is a clear tendency that Scheifele stop listening to the coach halfway through the season... it's really hard to understand. I thought this year would be different but it really isn't.

Carolina and Nashville are teams with full buy-in... Bones has lost Connor/Scheif - and there's never any consequences

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
It's called physical comedy, has been around for 100 years and it's fine. Buster Keaton is, to this day, considered a legend as an actor-director from the silent film era and had a blast being thrown around and doing his own stunts.

Poor Jets 31 is taking an absolute beating these past couple of weeks, just like the Jets. ;)

It's getting tough on here lately......

Edit i was wearing sunglass's so no ash got in my eyes , no one got hurt here man .:laugh:

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2006
Totally and it's something the brain is able to discern in the moment. A devastating injury or brutal violence shouldn't garner a chuckle. Honestly, I try to avoid viewing things of that nature as much as possible. Good to keep the mind free of it.

A ball to the groin though.. that's a classic comedic trope!
Yep

Last edited:

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
It's getting tough on here lately......

First they came after titties, now it's people causing minor injuries to themselves through stupidity

I won't comply (two birds, one stone)

439c3c50-eb92-45b0-b76d-35623f32dc1c.gif_attachment_cache_bust=4653790.gif

Nice snatch tho....

Booooooourns!

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
I've considered this a few times. Maybe schief likes to play with Connor more than Ehlers (I can understand why). Bones gets cornered by one of the "Ehlers must play top line" guys from here at Subway and is talked into making the switch

Next day, chevy pops his head into Bone's office and says "I just got off the phone with schief's agent, he's gonna ask for a trade if he has to keep playing with ehlers"

What do you do?
Chevy tells Scheifele s agent to stuff it and that he is here for 8 more years, so he better get used to the coach actually being the coach. After that, as coach, you make the lineup based on what will best help the team win hockey games

Reactions: MardyBum and hn777

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Another issue is handedness of the personnel. Let's say you have schief as a right hand shot in the bumper... you're going to have to run the PP through the right half wall. Morrissey is your QB, and he's a lefty so it take away the one-timer threat.

One of the major reasons the PP was so deadly back in the day was because Wheeler had schief in the bumper, buff on the point and Laine on the far side as legit shot threats. They're trying to recreate it on the other side but it just doesn't work
All good comments. Another thought - I think we need somebody on our PP to actually initiate an attack on net and get the defensive box or diamond to respond and move. The attack can of course be broken off, with another different attack angle initiated. When the box moves enough, there are invariably good scoring chances that occur. Saw some good efforts at this trying to generate movement from below the net when Vilardi was in the lineup,but we really need Morrissey and Scheifele to initiate from above the circles. Without this element, teams will increasingly just passively sit back in formation and let us try to speed the puck around the perimeter.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
All good comments. Another thought - I think we need somebody on our PP to actually initiate an attack on net and get the defensive box or diamond to respond and move. The attack can of course be broken off, with another different attack angle initiated. When the box moves enough, there are invariably good scoring chances that occur. Without this element, teams will increasingly just passively sit back in formation and let us try to speed the puck around the perimeter. Saw some good efforts at this trying to generate movement from below the net when Vilardi was in the lineup,but we really need Morrissey and Scheifele to initiate from above the circles.

I for the life of me have no idea why Mark doesn't walk the puck to the middle to use his lethal shot to keep teams honest. It's what Mackinnon does a lot of for Colorado.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
Chevy tells Scheifele s agent to stuff it and that he is here for 8 more years, so he better get used to the coach actually being the coach. After that, as coach, you make the lineup based on what will best help the team win hockey games
But then we'll get pouting Schief we all remember what that looks like.

Reactions: WolfHouse

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
All good comments. Another thought - I think we need somebody on our PP to actually initiate an attack on net and get the defensive box or diamond to respond and move. The attack can of course be broken off, with another different attack angle initiated. When the box moves enough, there are invariably good scoring chances that occur. Saw some good efforts at this trying to generate movement from below the net when Vilardi was in the lineup,but we really need Morrissey and Scheifele to initiate from above the circles. Without this element, teams will increasingly just passively sit back in formation and let us try to speed the puck around the perimeter.
Miller is a right hand shot with 100mph snapshot.. he can't even get into the lineup though...

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
I for the life of me have no idea why Mark doesn't walk the puck to the middle to use his lethal shot to keep teams honest. It's what Mackinnon does a lot of for Colorado.
Last two years he's looked sooo reluctant to shoot it's ridiculous.

When we were crushing on the PP Laine and Buff were obviously a big part of it, but we scored just as many goals from Schief in the high slot

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Or even attempt to carry the puck towards the defender for a potential shot ,make him respond, then pass off to someone making a another lane of attack. Instead he consistently is falling away from the defender to try create more space for himself. Maybe that`s the thing, is Mark really skilled at working in close quarters while maintaining possession of the puck? My answer -not really.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Or even attempt to carry the puck towards the defender for a potential shot ,make him respond, then pass off to someone making a another lane of attack. Instead he consistently is falling away from the defender to try create more space for himself. Maybe that`s the thing, is Mark really skilled at working in close quarters while maintaining possession of the puck? My answer -not really.

Good observation. I think he may try to emulate Crosby a bit on the pp. Crosby doesn't take the puck to attack much these days. But what Sid does that Mark doesn't is he continually moves to different spots and when he gets the puck it's off his stick in a nano second. Either as a pass or a shot/tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad