Post-Game Talk: Jets lose in OT 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

Explanation: Video review supported the Referee’s call on the ice that Montreal’s Josh Anderson’s stick made contact with the puck, thereby negating a hand pass prior to Christian Dvorak’s goal.

They showed a replay about 10 times that specifically showed the puck DID NOT touch Anderson's stick... and a whole bunch of replays that were not conclusive one way or the other. Refs definitely had money on Montreal to win.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

Explanation: Video review supported the Referee’s call on the ice that Montreal’s Josh Anderson’s stick made contact with the puck, thereby negating a hand pass prior to Christian Dvorak’s goal.

They showed a replay about 10 times that specifically showed the puck DID NOT touch Anderson's stick... and a whole bunch of replays that were not conclusive one way or the other. Refs definitely had money on Montreal to win.
Not so fun fact: according to the rulebook, the deflecting off of any player or official does not negate a hand pass.

79.1 Hand Pass - A player shall be permitted to stop or “bat” a puck in the air with his open hand, or push it along the ice with his hand, and the play shall not be stopped unless, in the opinion of the on-ice officials, he has directed the puck to a teammate, or has allowed his team to gain an advantage, and subsequently possession and control of the puck is obtained by a player of the offending team, either directly or deflected off any player or official.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
You're right about the D-men and even when Pionk is playing well, he has a tendency to ice the puck. He would call them missed passes but he does panic a bit in those situations. All that being said, it was another game where they only gave up two goals. (I refuse to count that OT goal.) Overall, the D, aided by Helly's solid play, is doing surprisingly OK.

As for the officiating, and I've mentioned this in the GDT, I'm concerned about how the relatively recent appearance and saturation by the legal "gaming" industry (ads and shilling by the sports network talking heads) and the impact it might have on things like, say, officiating.

On the challenged goal, wasn't that a "close the hand on the puck" moment by Anderson. He didn't swat it. It looked to me like he grabbed it and threw it ahead. In the review, can the officials look at that aspect of the play too and not just whether his stick contacted the puck?

Thank goodness, we don't have to put up with those insufferable Habs fans again this year. Although I was a Red Wings fan growing up (St. Andrews/Lockport area with a Skinners connection), I anticipate a heck of a lot fewer Wings fans in the stands on Wednesday.

Go Jets Go!
I often draw parallels to my experience playing D when looking at our defencemen, which I know is ridiculous because I couldn't even hold their jocks (in probably better than Stanley, though 🤣)

What I see with Pionk (and some of our other D) is if they're not moving their feet, they get into trouble like forcing themselves into an unnecessary board battle, blindly throwing the puck up the boards to a waiting opponent, or icing the puck out of panic.

When I'm not feeling sharp or confident, it immediately goes to my legs and feet. I start standing around and moving in a reactionary way instead of being proactive.

When you're in motion, or take a few strides with the puck, it opens so much up for you, such as turnbacks and deceptive pivots. Additionally, it forces the forechecker to try and anticipate what you'll do, which backs them off a bit, giving you space. Finally, when you're in motion, it's fast easier to change the passing angle which opens up a ton of options for you.

When you're standing still, you severely limit your options.

When I'm feeling this way, I'll be telling myself over and over to move my feet. Sometimes it works, but sometimes I just can't convince myself.

It really is a fascinating human element to the game.

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
I often draw parallels to my experience playing D when looking at our defencemen, which I know is ridiculous because I couldn't even hold their jocks (in probably better than Stanley, though 🤣)

What I see with Pionk (and some of our other D) is if they're not moving their feet, they get into trouble like forcing themselves into an unnecessary board battle, blindly throwing the puck up the boards to a waiting opponent, or icing the puck out of panic.

When I'm not feeling sharp or confident, it immediately goes to my legs and feet. I start standing around and moving in a reactionary way instead of being proactive.

When you're in motion, or take a few strides with the puck, it opens so much up for you, such as turnbacks and deceptive pivots. Additionally, it forces the forechecker to try and anticipate what you'll do, which backs them off a bit, giving you space. Finally, when you're in motion, it's fast easier to change the passing angle which opens up a ton of options for you.

When you're standing still, you severely limit your options.

When I'm feeling this way, I'll be telling myself over and over to move my feet. Sometimes it works, but sometimes I just can't convince myself.

It really is a fascinating human element to the game.
Yes, the human element. These guys are human, just like us. The difference is that they're in the spotlight and subject to praise but more often criticism from the arm-chair coaches like me. During my career, I've been guilty of "not moving my feet (fast enough)" but other than my immediate supervisor and colleagues, no one notices.

• Haha
Reactions: Jet

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Refs seemed to think they were embarrassed by the early Slafkovsky penalty (which was never a penalty BTW, wild that it was called), and played even up the whole way.

On the goal, I have to think that they had no clear view of the play either way so they went with the call on the ice.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
We wouldn't even be bitching about the refs if our powerplay didn't suck balls and our PK didn't give up 2 (although I'm not sure how often a 4-3 kill is practiced or worked on)

PP sitting at 28th in the league at 16.1%... unacceptable with the amount of skill we have up front. Teams are obviously able to watch tape in what we do and come up.wirh a very simple.way of countering it

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I was so pissed at that result, especially with all those Hab fans singing that horrid song at the end!

Outside of a handful of moments, it was like a morgue in there from the Jets side of things on the crowd noise. I appreciate that there weren’t a lot of moments to get raucous, but man…was like a Toronto corporate crowd. We don’t fill the rink and we don’t make a shit ton of noise either. We suck as fans… almost as bad as our PP and PK.

3rd line was wretched tonight… someone mentioned it previously, throw Nino up with Names and Fets and Iafollo back with Lows and Apples. Something needs to change!

36 deserves a longer look up the lineup somewhere.

May as well have thrown 55 out for the 4 on 3 faceoff at the end… at least he would have had a chance at winning the draw!
For several years the Jets had the most raucous crowds in the league - from "True North" to hilarious chants, to just being all out loud.

Last couple years not so much. It is like all the lockerroom crap killed the crowd enthusiasm.

Reactions: hn777 and FFHockey

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I might add that there is no way Anderson batted the puck with an open hand. A very clear catch and toss, which should be a penalty, as we saw with Ehlers last game…
Closing your hand on the puck isn't an automatic penalty, providing you drop it immediately (Anderson did so)

1000022867.jpg

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
We wouldn't even be bitching about the refs if our powerplay didn't suck balls and our PK didn't give up 2 (although I'm not sure how often a 4-3 kill is practiced or worked on)

PP sitting at 28th in the league at 16.1%... unacceptable with the amount of skill we have up front. Teams are obviously able to watch tape in what we do and come up.wirh a very simple.way of countering it
Wow! I did not know that they were that low. Bowness referred to it after last night's game. I wonder why it has thaken the Jets' tall foreheads this long to come to this realization. Who, of the coaches, is responsible for the PP? Should he get a bit of a "talking to"....at a minimum?

Reactions: hn777

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
just seems like at the start of the year the PP had so much movement and was dynamic (like any good PP is). Now they just all stand still and flick wristers from the point or look for the bumper that's always covered.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Wow! I did not know that they were that low. Bowness referred to it after last night's game. I wonder why it has thaken the Jets' tall foreheads this long to come to this realization. Who, of the coaches, is responsible for the PP? Should he get a bit of a "talking to"....at a minimum?
In the past it's been Lauer

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I might add that there is no way Anderson batted the puck with an open hand. A very clear catch and toss, which should be a penalty, as we saw with Ehlers last game…

If it's one motion, it's almost never been called as closing your hand on the puck.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
Closing your hand on the puck isn't an automatic penalty, providing you drop it immediately (Anderson did so)

View attachment 786325
Just spitballing here but could a case also have been made for goaltender interference by Anderson? He doesn't notably touch Helle but he was in the blue paint when the puck went in and Helle was most definitely obstructed to a certain extent in getting over to cover the open side-based on how the goalie interference rule reads.

And yes I'm too cranky and lazy to post a pic of the rule in the rulebook because i'll just get frustrated if it doesn't work, much like I'm frustrated with the Jets special teams.

Ray Mercer

Oct 3, 2018
I get why the old Francophone boomers who grew up on Radio-Canada Habs games still cheer for Montreal. But why in God's name are there so many 11 year old children decked out in Montreal jerseys? What have they seen in their young lives that inspires them to Canadiens fandom?!?!
Influence from their parents and still a lot of 30 somethings that experienced the magical run in 93 with Roy and the boys. I missed the great 80’s Jets teams and Hawerchuk greatness and unfortunately caught all the bum Jets teams in the 90’s. Selanne was the lone highlight.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Just spitballing here but could a case also have been made for goaltender interference by Anderson? He doesn't notably touch Helle but he was in the blue paint when the puck went in and Helle was most definitely obstructed to a certain extent in getting over to cover the open side-based on how the goalie interference rule reads.

And yes I'm too cranky and lazy to post a pic of the rule in the rulebook because i'll just get frustrated if it doesn't work, much like I'm frustrated with the Jets special teams.

I don't think a goaltender interference case has any merit in this instance. And I'm usually VERY pro goalie.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Refs seemed to think they were embarrassed by the early Slafkovsky penalty (which was never a penalty BTW, wild that it was called), and played even up the whole way.

On the goal, I have to think that they had no clear view of the play either way so they went with the call on the ice.
That penalty actually help the Habs.
The Jets stopped skating during and after that penalty.

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
Honestly I've made a habit of just not watching coaching postgames because they're never very honest or they're telling half truths. Bowness at times sometimes feels like he means to hold back and then says something most other coaches would only ever allude to.

Little bit of "i'm too old for this sh*t" vibes.

First step: get Scheifele off the half-wall and back into the slot where he belongs

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Little bit of "i'm too old for this sh*t" vibes.

First step: get Scheifele off the half-wall and back into the slot where he belongs
That's what I'd suggest - he's got a great head for hockey but seems to feel that when on the PK, it's OK to slow it down.
We'll continue to miss KC out there with the man advantage - we didn't exactly kill the PP when he was there but he was quick to move the puck and he liked to move around.

Anyway, if they are going to leave 55 in that spot, he needs to be the shooter - not the set up guy. Maybe that will get things moving a bit.
Use JoMo as the QB and get the guys on the walls shooting - and get bodies to the net (13 should be able to make a lot of hay picking up rebounds - he has a great stick and he works really well in traffic).

55 and Perfetti on the walls, 13 in the center, Ehler / Jomo on the points.
Get the guys on the walls moving high/low and cutting inside once in awhile, 13 in front (not too high) drawing attention and picking up rebounds, and the point guys should be able to get the movement going.
Drop the bumper scheme - it's a waste of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln