Post-Game Talk: Jets lose in OT 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
That's what I'd suggest - he's got a great head for hockey but seems to feel that when on the PK, it's OK to slow it down.
We'll continue to miss KC out there with the man advantage - we didn't exactly kill the PP when he was there but he was quick to move the puck and he liked to move around.

Anyway, if they are going to leave 55 in that spot, he needs to be the shooter - not the set up guy. Maybe that will get things moving a bit.
Use JoMo as the QB and get the guys on the walls shooting - and get bodies to the net (13 should be able to make a lot of hay picking up rebounds - he has a great stick and he works really well in traffic).

55 and Perfetti on the walls, 13 in the center, Ehler / Jomo on the points.
Get the guys on the walls moving high/low and cutting inside once in awhile, 13 in front (not too high) drawing attention and picking up rebounds, and the point guys should be able to get the movement going.
Drop the bumper scheme - it's a waste of time.

Yeah having Connor who can get a good shot off instantly is a massive thing on the powerplay for sure.

Not sure what to do with everyone either. Try Perfetti on the wall perhaps? Actually like your scheme, feels like Vilardi was made for net front.

Reactions: LowLefty

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Good on the Jets to get a point out of that one after coming into the third down 2 goals.

We need to get our PPlay going again.

I like Ehlers. But he needs to stop doing two things. 1) blind passes, especially in dangerous areas of the ice. 2) splaying himself out on the ice sliding uncontrollably forward thinking it's helpful

The refing was shameful in that game.

Go Jets Go!

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I mean the guy did catch it and throw the puck forward...
He dropped it right at his feet and it landed on it's edge and bounced forward (fortunately for him). Wasn't intentional. Someone posted an excellent angle earlier

That said, it looks definitive to me that it went untouched to Dvorak and should have been reversed due to being a hand pass

Reactions: hn777

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
He dropped it right at his feet and it landed on it's edge and bounced forward (fortunately for him). Wasn't intentional. Someone posted an excellent angle earlier

That said, it looks definitive to me that it went untouched to Dvorak and should have been reversed due to being a hand pass
Here's what I have a problem with. Players knock the puck down to the ice so the can control the puck to shoot or pass. He knock the puck down maybe it hit or didn't hit his stick ... one thing for sure he did not have control of the puck and it bounced to his teammate. It should have never have been called a goal on the ice ... let the replay decide.
After saying all that ... that's not why the Jets lost.
Special teams is the reason why they lost ... the first PP literally killed the Jets momentum. They stopped skating and Montreal took over. If you could only decline penalties ... I think the Jets would have more wins.:laugh:
Bones was right calling the special teams out and saying they lost 5 or 6 games now because of the special teams.
If the Oilers had a PP like the Jets ... they would be last in the league. Maybe instead of practicing the PP today maybe the Jets should watch the Oilers PP videos all day long.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
44 will likely be running the next version of the PP

You can still work on other set plays. A PP should have more then one QB. It was a lame excuse and if the pp is as dire and actively costing wins as the coach indicated then you get to work on practicing new things even if your missing a single person.

Reactions: None

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
I think the problem with the Pp we don’t have a trigger man for the one timer. Look at the top PP units have a one or two player on either side of the faceoff circle waiting at the slot for the one timer. Draistl , Stamkos, Ovi , Pettersen etc. they set it up with puck movement. We don’t have that structure

Last edited:

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
You can still work on other set plays. A PP should have more then one QB. It was a lame excuse and if the pp is as dire and actively costing wins as the coach indicated then you get to work on practicing new things even if your missing a single person.
I have no issue with him waiting until all the key pcs are in place - makes sense to me.
I'm not sure he is even looking at set plays - it might come down to simply quicker puck movement, net front, and more shots on net.
I hope they don't spend a whole bunch of time on the set plays like they did with KC as the go to shooter or the bumper (Wheels) a few yrs ago - we simply turned into a predictable PP.

I won't be surprised if it's as simple as adding some weight down low (net front) and convincing the rest of them to shoot the puck.
TBH, I'm more worried about the guys grasping a simplified PP over whether or not they run it in today's practice.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
I think the problem with the Pp we don’t have a trigger man for the one timer. Look at the top PP units have a one or two player on either side of the faceoff circle waiting at the slot for the one timer. Draistl , Stamkos, Ovi , Pettersen etc. they set it up with puck movement. We don’t have that structure
Once upon a time we had the best power play in the league when Laine was the trigger man

Reactions: hn777 and Eyeseeing

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
We have lots of top end talent, that you should just be able to send them out there with an extra player and let them do what they want. Sure, maybe some basic plan, but this team has tons of creativity. Let them go.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
We have lots of top end talent, that you should just be able to send them out there with an extra player and let them do what they want. Sure, maybe some basic plan, but this team has tons of creativity. Let them go.

I mean look at Pittsburgh with all its hof talent. They've struggled mightily on the pp until recently. You still need the correct systems to optimize your pieces.

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I have no issue with him waiting until all the key pcs are in place - makes sense to me.
I'm not sure he is even looking at set plays - it might come down to simply quicker puck movement, net front, and more shots on net.
I hope they don't spend a whole bunch of time on the set plays like they did with KC as the go to shooter or the bumper (Wheels) a few yrs ago - we simply turned into a predictable PP.

I won't be surprised if it's as simple as adding some weight down low (net front) and convincing the rest of them to shoot the puck.
TBH, I'm more worried about the guys grasping a simplified PP over whether or not they run it in today's practice.
Too me that's the answer, stop looking for the perfect pass, especially when we aren't moving around and start shooting the puck. Ya you may miss but you may get a fortunate bounce as well. At the very least you have to switch Scheifele and Perfetti spots, Perfetti does us no good in the middle because he can get boxed out too easily.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
This is sooo much more than simply sending your best skill players out there and asking them to create spontaneously... .

Seems to me the boys have never been taught to move and open up attacking lanes to the net on the PP. Teams like the Bolts used to be the best at movement designed to break down the defensive box and get defenders confused or out of position. And when that happened, real scoring chances came easily.

None

Feb 22, 2012

The refusal to plug new players into spots and just run with it might be one of the issues with the PP. Everyone's so rigid in their role.

Reactions: surixon

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The refusal to plug new players into spots and just run with it might be one of the issues with the PP. Everyone's so rigid in their role.
Out of curiosity who would you change out ? Maybe Neo and Perfetti , put Neo in front of the net, big guy not easy to move out of the front of the net and let Perfetti QB the 2nd unit might be one thing to try.

Reactions: hn777 and GNP

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
So ........ Jets a little full of themselves. Spent too much time reading their own press clippings (OK, internet equivalent). Apparently they think they are so good they don't need to try against Habs and Sharks.

I hope they wake up and smell the coffee before their next game with a non PO team. :mad:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln