Post-Game Talk: Jets give St. Louis the Blues, win 5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Yet another quality start from Hellebuyck. He's the best he's ever been. Wow.

The blues deserve every part of that loss for wearing yellow jerseys. The color yellow fills me with rage, always has.

What's clear is that the Jets will make the playoffs. Hellebuyck is threatening to take them on a deep run. I hope the defensive play catches up with the play of the goaltender.
I can't stand yellow or gold in hockey uniforms either. They make you want to puke. In footbal their OK tho, like the Eskimos, Geen Bay Packers etc. The worst I've seen are Nashvilles, and the old LA Kings gold uniforms were bad, as well as the Blue's uniforms tonight. Your right, they deserve to lose for wearing yellow.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
That Sak injury (that wording might not be appropriate) looked like a cross check - not sure if anyone took a look at it but I don't think it was contact with the boards.
Hope it's not the collar bone or anything serious.

ouchtown-population.gif

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I liked our game, even during the pushback, our D was aggressive and relentless. Loved Stanleys game, especially considering the rust factor. He likes the calculated risks....ala Buff, and he'll get caught occasionally, but generally his judgement is sound.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Dear Brighteyes

Sorry about the mean things I said about you last season. Even though I stand by the validity of my angst, that was then this is now. I far prefer cheering for the good version of you.

Thank you for moving forward and getting back to being the player I love to watch and cheer for.

Your fan

ps241

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Gus was lights out good that game defensively. I watched him repeatedly make solid plays with and without the puck, always in good position and supporting his teammates. More games like that, Gus, awesome work.

Helle with the magic tonight otherwise this one would have been over quick.

Really liked Sawyer's point about how PLD is physical but not necessarily with hits. He really does make the opponent work hard and expend energy by using his body and being so strong on the puck. He is similar to Wheeler that way.

Pionk and Barron not having puck luck last night.

Thought Stanley played well actually. With the new system a guy like him can change how the opponent defends with the benefit of always being supported by a forward. Not unlike what Buff was able to do, albeit far more talented, but the difference is the system seems to be set up to embrace a defenceman getting up in the rush. Stanley had some rust no doubt, especially on the one goal where he was just plain beaten by not being in good position, but other than that I thought he played okay.

Ultimately this win came down to good goaltending, a sound defensive structure that managed personal defensive flaws well, and an effective counterattack.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
How did eyssimont look
Gunna start calling him The Tenacious E. He is doing many of the little things right and has most certainly earned a further look with the team. With Saku going down (it looked bad and I would not be surprised if he is out for a while) Eyssimont is in a great spot to show what he can bring on a consistent basis.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
You know this team is going to face teams that are desperate and the Blues played like a desperate team the back half of the game. The Blues are in very real danger of digging themselves an insurmountable hole. They needed a result tonight. I thought we played a good road game against desperate opponent. It was far from perfect but I think we learn a lot from it.

Helle was in Vezina form tonight, enough said.

JoMo played a real steady all around game, DeMelo was a lot better tonight. The pairing played well.

Pionk with another good night activating. I thought his reads were on point and his defense solid. Dillon was his usual physical self.

Stanley/Schmidt: I thought they started well in the first but fell apart the second two periods. I'm happy Logan got a point but outside of that he was awful. Maybe it's rust but he was running around, getting beat wide and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with most of his shots tonight. Schmidt just isn't good enough to cover for a partner who is scrambling all night. Put Samberg back in he's steadier and that is what Nate needs.

Top line: They were fine, had some good looks and got a goal with Dubois on for Wheeler. Also thought they took care of their end quite well again. Cole got rewarded for some good defensive battles by being put out late and put it away. He deserved that goal after so many good scoring chances the last 5 games. Hopefully he starts cashing more.

Second line kept humming along. Conner was great and sniped a beauty. Mikey was involved and a heads up tip on Kyle's goal. Dubois was a physical force.

Third line: Once again I thought this line was uneven tonight. They had a few good moments and were good on the PK but I thought they really got hemmed a lot again. If there is an upgrade to be made its bringing in some help for Lowry so that the line is able to do what it's deployed to do and suppress their match up.

Gus and Thor worked in and both were fine imo.

Special teams were great.
Good post except for the Stanley comments. I thought he was steady and it was Schmidt who was often out of position. Plus, he’s easily the most physical d-man outside of Dillon. Finally, Samberg is anything but steady. He plays a total no-risk no-reward game and still makes too many mistakes. I find him vastly overrated by several posters in this forum, possibly a by product of the unearned hype that surrounded him before he even put on a Moose jersey.

Wow all this winning games stuff is really keeping the Dude in shape.:laugh: Great game from Helly again and Scheifele .:nod:

Work those abs!

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Stanley needs to go. How can an NHL dman get beat wide so often.
Sak out hurts. He chews up minutes. Smart. Harkins is a mystery to me. He looks like he has the skills to break through, but just can't get there. Just can't quite think fast enough with the puck on his stick.
Perfetti needs to get a bit stronger. Reminds me of early Kyle Connor in that way. A Little power will allow him to get to better spots.
Eyssimont is a solid player. Smart.

The biggest difference with this jets team is our plugs are smart. Sak, Ess, Gus.

With Helle this team might do something. Without him we are average, but all players count.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Stanley needs to go. How can an NHL dman get beat wide so often.
Sak out hurts. He chews up minutes. Smart. Harkins is a mystery to me. He looks like he has the skills to break through, but just can't get there. Just can't quite think fast enough with the puck on his stick.
Perfetti needs to get a bit stronger. Reminds me of early Kyle Connor in that way. A Little power will allow him to get to better spots.
Eyssimont is a solid player. Smart.

The biggest difference with this jets team is our plugs are smart. Sak, Ess, Gus.

With Helle this team might do something. Without him we are average, but all players count.
I agree with all your points other than Stan Has To Go -
Watching last nights game, many of our D back into the zone and allow plays that make life very difficult for Helle. Stan plays it a bit different by cheating a bit - he tries to take away the center ice option and gives them a little more on the wide option. In most cases, he's funneling the attacker into the corner where he is better suited to dealing with the play.

He'll get beat once in a while - but it is absolutely no worse than backing into your goal tender and allowing plays around the net - I'd argue it's a safer option on most plays.

I'd have to say that a mistake or two by a dman coming off a long injury is almost expected - I'll give any player a little wiggle room in his situation - I certainly wouldn't be asking for his departure.

Stan will continue to be the focus of some / many on here - and it's unfortunate that we need to focus only on the negative. You could do that with most of our defenders if you wanted to - they are all making mistakes out there. And because defense is a tough position to play to perfection, they draw a lot of attention on goals against.

Reactions: Andy6

TommyKillian

Dec 12, 2013

I love seeing the Scheifele-Dubois camaraderie. You never know how ultra-competitive athletes will respond to a 1A-1B situation but they are both thriving this year. They have been a joy to watch as a 1-2 punch. PLD is an absolute bull and just overwhelms other teams with his strength and speed. Scheifele is a supercomputer with great skill, once again using his talents in all 3 zones. This team is a treat this year.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Good post except for the Stanley comments. I thought he was steady and it was Schmidt who was often out of position. Plus, he’s easily the most physical d-man outside of Dillon. Finally, Samberg is anything but steady. He plays a total no-risk no-reward game and still makes too many mistakes. I find him vastly overrated by several posters in this forum, possibly a by product of the unearned hype that surrounded him before he even put on a Moose jersey.

Work those abs!

Interesting, maybe I'm preconditioned to only spot the bad in his game. If he's in tonight I'll try to pay closer attention to him.

Reactions: RustyCat

Flyby

Sponsor
Jan 6, 2022
I liked our game, even during the pushback, our D was aggressive and relentless. Loved Stanleys game, especially considering the rust factor. He likes the calculated risks....ala Buff, and he'll get caught occasionally, but generally his judgement is sound.
I’m not sure what game you were watching. And, how dare you even mention him in the same sentence as Buff!!

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Interesting, maybe I'm preconditioned to only spot the bad in his game. If he's in tonight I'll try to pay closer attention to him.
I think he was okay. Would rather Samberg be in. If Stan is in I’ll worry Bowness reverts to vets. That way even if we got a rental that would just bump Perfetti, boo!

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Tell me about it
I needed a EN goal to win the prediction contest by 1 last year

Almost got it, however the winner (chosen 1) deserved it

Wow.. I can't imagine being close enough to winning that it would come down to 1 EN goal, given that I'm currently in like 20th place :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad