Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 16-17 Part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Even-strength save % (2016/17) - among goalies with 15+ games

Schneider 0.921 (#31 in NHL)

Hellebuyck 0.915 (#45 in NHL)
Hutchinson 0.914 (#47 in NHL)

Halak 0.905 (#52)

Neuvirth 0.901 (#56)

JBM

Feb 1, 2017
Canada
I think league-wide this offseason will be crazy. LV really throws a wrench in team's plans and I can't wait to see what unfolds :popcorn:

Especially excited to see who moves in the goalie market. There will be some big splashes.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think league-wide this offseason will be crazy. LV really throws a wrench in team's plans and I can't wait to see what unfolds :popcorn:

Especially excited to see who moves in the goalie market. There will be some big splashes.

Could be interesting last minute before the XD - or more precisely before the lists have to be finalized.
Then again as soon as the dust from that settles. Expect LV to be very active.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
You realize that you've distorted things by going all the way back to 2007, right?

Halischuk was on a serious downward trend before Lowry had the "benefit" of playing with him, and his overall numbers were highly skewed by 2011/12 and 2012/13 stats before he joined the Jets.

Similarly, Burmistrov was only above 1.00 in pts/60 before his trip to Russia. Thereafter, he was well below, which was when Lowry had the "benefit" of playing with him.

Thorburn's best season was in 2007. He's reach 1.0 in pts/60 in only 2 out of the last 7 seasons, so his numbers are also inflated compared to where he was when Lowry had the "benefit" of playing with him.

Let's look at another Jets' performance with Thorbs and Burmistrov... Nikolaj Ehlers.

With Burmistrov: 1 goal in 200 minutes (0.30 pts/60)
With Thorburn: 3 points in 211 minutes (0.85 pts/60)
With Stafford: 2 assists in 162 minutes (0.74 pts/60)

Lowry can't be confused with strong offensive player, but to pretend that he's been playing with anything other than offensive drags is off kilter.

Just for fun, how productive do you think Perreault has been in his 943 minutes with Stafford, Burmi, Armia and Thorburn over the past 3 seasons? (Answer: 1.02 pts/60).

So, it would seem that even Perreault has not been able to produce with Lowry's usual linemates, either.

I didn't distort anything since I included OBPM for this season with the career numbers.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I didn't distort anything since I included OBPM for this season with the career numbers.

Your reference to the points production of linemates over the past 7 seasons over-estimates the productivity of Lowry's most common linemates, giving the distorted impression that he's been playing with more offensively productive players than he has. That's what I was referring to. None of Armia, Matthias or Lowry look particularly good in the OBPM metric, do they?

You'd need to provide more information about the statistical methods used to "adjust for linemate quality" for me to comment further on the OBPM metric. Have you looked at Perreault's OBPM when he is playing with bottom-6 linemates? It is quite possible in models to combine different strata and try to smooth the relationship when there is actually quantitative interaction, or at least residual confounding, which undermines the validity of the model. If Perreault (or Ehlers) played exclusively with bottom-6 linemates like Armia, Thorbs, Burmi and Stafford, what would their OBPM look like?

A quick way of looking at this would be to compute directly adjusted points/60 and CF% to account for differences in linemates (or line strata), but I don't have the time.

My guess is that anyone who plays with the bottom-6 on the Jets over the past few seasons gets mired into a low productivity swamp. Some call it the "Thorburn effect" or the "Burmi effect".

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
This guy was good. What thr Canucks did to him was stupid and asinine

Yeah he had talent - but I'd heard he didn't like being on the Moose. He figured he was too good for the AHL or something. Just thought maybe that's who Gil was remembering as not liking it here.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If you are curious of models you can look them up to learn more.

I tire of this disingenuous argument and this board at times.

It's disingenuous to ask for more information about models? Statisticians do this all the time, but it usually doesn't lead to charges of disingeuity.

My question was quite straightforward. How does the OBPM adjust for linemate quality, and is the adjustment robust enough to account for large discrepancies in linemate mix. Also, what timeframe is used to parameterize linemate quality?

If you don't want to include that information here, a link to a methodological paper or two would be fine. I'm happy to read the source methods.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Models... (maybe fits better in another thread)

Did a bit of digging, and thought that some might be interested in some of the underlying structures of the statistical metrics.

First, for those who are a bit more "geeky", the parameters for the OBPM metric are determined from long-term data (to provide some statistical stability) and are not based on regression models but rather through various machine learning techniques. So there is a bit of a "black box" in terms of how the weights for the parameters are derived. Below is a summary of the weights used for OBPM metrics. You can find an article here (https://hockey-graphs.com/2016/10/26/introducing-box-plus-minus/).

screen-shot-2016-10-25-at-4-08-51-pm.png

These parameter weights might help interpret how different players are ranked. Some obvious features of the parameter mix:

1) Assists are weighted more heavily than goals - For defensemen (black bars) at both even strength and on the power play, a 2nd assist is weighted more positively than a 1st assist, which is weighted more heavily than a goal. For forwards (blue bars), at even strength 1st assists are weighted the most, followed by goals and second assists. On the power play, goals have very little value and 2nd assists are weighted more than 1st assists.

2) Quality of teammates matters a lot at even strength - This means that your OBPM is boosted if you are playing with high quality teammates, and downgraded if you are playing with low quality of teammates, especially if you are a forward.

3) Individual metrics don't matter much, except individual expected goals on the PP - This means that what an individual player's performance in terms of shot metrics doesn't really have much weight, except in terms of shots and shot quality on the PP.

Another key aspect of the OBPM metric is that it is tethered to a "prior distribution", which is formed by a player's performance in the prior season. This is done to stabilize metrics that vacillate excessively. So, for example, if a player had poor production in the season prior, that "tethers" his metrics for the current season, assuming that he is likely to produce like last season. Conversely, if a player had a good season the year prior, that will tend to bring up the metrics for this season.

These parameter weights help to explain comparisons between players, which might otherwise seem a bit puzzling. For example:

- Lowry's higher G60 (goals per 60 minutes) than Perreault's are more than offset because goals are worth less than assists in the OBPM model. Lowry's PP goals are basically worthless in the model, whereas Perreault's assists and shot attempts (from the half wall) are valued at more than twice the rate of goals.
- Perreault's OBPM is raised because he plays more with higher quality teammates (TOI.QoT), whereas Lowry's OBPM is depressed because he plays with lower quality teammates. So, the metric doesn't actually adjust for quality of teammates per se, but rather adjusts your OBPM upwards or downwards depending on whether you play with good teammates. If you only play with lower quality teammates, as Lowry does, your OBPM is reduced. Interestingly, the OBPM doesn't appear to adjust for poor linemate quality per se, so that if a player like Perreault played continuously with lower quality teammates and produced at a lower rate (goals and assists), his OBPM would be reduced.

This is based on a rather quick read of the methodology, and I expect that Garret can correct me if I've misinterpreted things.

However, based on my understanding of the OBPM model I think it's understandable why Lowry has such a poor metric. His greater production of goals instead of assists (especially on the PP) actually downgrades his OBPM, and the coaches decision to play him with poor linemates further pulls down his score, rather than adjusting his score.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
...another thing I learned

Chiarot was a defensive stalwart in 2015/16. No wonder the Jets penciled him into the top-6 for this season. :handclap:

screen-shot-2016-10-25-at-6-35-48-pm.png

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Chiarot was a defensive stalwart in 2015/16. No wonder the Jets penciled him into the top-6 for this season. :handclap:

screen-shot-2016-10-25-at-6-35-48-pm.png

His PK numbers are pretty respectable this year. He needs a guy next to him that can make the tough passes.

If we play Chiarot with Buff and Entrom with Myers (instead of vice versa) we will be in good shape.

Can't see our team making a big free agent signing on D. You never know I guess, but yeah.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
His PK numbers are pretty respectable this year. He needs a guy next to him that can make the tough passes.

If we play Chiarot with Buff and Entrom with Myers (instead of vice versa) we will be in good shape.

Can't see our team making a big free agent signing on D. You never know I guess, but yeah.

To be clear, I actually think Chiarot is pretty terrible, mostly because of his really bad decisions with the puck.

I was just observing that he did seem to measure out well in one metric (DBPM), which is based on hits for and against, blocks, and give-aways and take-aways (which are poorly measured).

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
To be clear, I actually think Chiarot is pretty terrible, mostly because of his really bad decisions with the puck.

I was just observing that he did seem to measure out well in one metric (DBPM), which is based on hits for and against, blocks, and give-aways and take-aways (which are poorly measured).

Those stats are all very poor stats as you mention. There's a reason most of the players on that list have trouble staying in the lineup with their respective teams. No shocker that multiple teams have multiple players, it's because they track the stats differently from other rinks.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

I thought this was interesting:

You can sift through the Tweets explaining the Star rating but it's basically what defensemen get sent out to face the best players on the opposition teams. Enstrom at 20. Postma dead last (and Chiarot not much ahead of him in the "Bottom 20") of about 200-ish players.

C7icMXrU8AEifCE.jpg

C7icMXrVMAANjI5.jpg

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I don't think Chiarot is as bad as he's painted to be on here. Don't think he's a good top four or anything. But on the PK he's one of our best and not bad league wide.

Icing the puck there is an asset, not a liability haha

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't think Chiarot is as bad as he's painted to be on here. Don't think he's a good top four or anything. But on the PK he's one of our best and not bad league wide.

Icing the puck there is an asset, not a liability haha

He's a key part of the NHL's 28th-worst PK unit! :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad