Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 16-17 Part XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
You are obviously a huge Petan fan, and I hope their is a GM out there that values him as highly as you do. But this might be a good time to move Petan if he could grease a Trouba trade for a top pairing D coming back. The emergence of Roslovic as a potential center and the amount of young talented wingers already in the organization just might squeeze Petan out anyways. He still holds a lot of potential and being on an ELC and expansion draft exempt might be very attractive to a potential trade partner.

but he's better than most of these young wingers :shakehead

besides the fact he's going to be an amazing player, i don't see the point in moving him at all. he has little trade value right now and he's expansion exempt like you said so why not keep him around and wait till you see what he becomes. he's a good player, i just hope this organization (and fans) can realize that. he should be much further ahead on the depth chart than he currently is. i simply do not understand everyones rush to trade the guy or why people think he's not ready for the NHL.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
some people want to move out Petan because he didn't show much in training camp. WAY too early to write him off IMO.

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
some people want to move out Petan because he didn't show much in training camp. WAY too early to write him off IMO.

Didn't show much according to who?

I went down to the iceplex and watched almost the entire training camp in person and to say that is just flat out untrue. He was one of the best players all camp, his skill and smarts were so obvious. At the start he was skating with guys like Perreault, Connor, Matthias, Burmi,Armia, Stafford etc. and looked to be one of the best out there. Then he started skating with Wheeler and Scheif and fit right in with them. Did not look out of place for one second and was easily keeping up, (thriving off them actually) while they were doing the same off him since thats what skilled players do to each other.

They had a scrimmage together towards the end and the chemistry the 3 of them had was seriously unbelievable. it looked very similar to that 1 game they had last year but petan was creating more for the others this time around. he was making some ridiculous passes. I still think maurice needs to give the 3 of them another look.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I don't think it so much people wanting to move Petan out, rather people speculating what prospects might be moved out in hopes of adding to Trouba to get a #1 LHD or bringing to back d prospects. The young winger depth chart is pretty deep. The young d-man depth chart is pretty shallow.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I didn't think Petan was that bad at camp. I also didn't think he got much support in camp.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Some of the bad habits he had in the first half of the year last year did creap back into his game, especially in the daily scrimmages. He was hanging onto the puck too long in dangerous places and turning it over.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
Petan is probably the forward prospect I'd swap for a d prospect. I really like the guy, bit he doesn't seem like he fits the mould of the Jets (not big, not that fast), and there doesn't seem like there will be room for him in the top 6 in the long run.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Can't give up on Petan. He will replace Burmi or Staff in the top 9 next year or this year with injury or trade.
Laine Scheif Ehlers
Connor Little Wheeler
Petan Perreault Dano
Armia Copp Tanev
Lemieux/Matthias

Im hoping Dano doesn't get claimed cause he's in the A, but depending who gets claimed by Vegas that is the lineup I see next year. If Lowry is claimed then lineup above works for next season.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I didn't think Petan was that bad at camp. I also didn't think he got much support in camp.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I agree. I think the issue with Petan is going to be opportunity. He won't excel in a bottom line, penalty killing role where a player like Tanev is more suited. But he could be very good in a top 9 role. On the other hand, he was excellent with Copp and Armia later last season.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I agree. I think the issue with Petan is going to be opportunity. He won't excel in a bottom line, penalty killing role where a player like Tanev is more suited. But he could be very good in a top 9 role. On the other hand, he was excellent with Copp and Armia later last season.

I think at some point in the near future the Jets will have to use some of their forward depth to acquire some d prospect depth or as part of a package to get a young d-man who has top 4 potential.

This doesn't mean you don't like the player, but rather there likely won't be room for them all.

IMO at least the future guarantees are:
Scheifele
Wheeler
Laine
Ehlers
Little
Connor
MP
Roslovic

That leaves as good young players to fill out the roster:
Armia
Dano
Petan
Lowry
Copp
Lemieux
Tanev
Burmi
De Leo
Lipon
Kosmo (long shot)

Good chance we lose one in the expansion draft but after that you start needing to make decisions on them. 2 years from now of those listed only Laine, Connor, Lemieux and Roslovic will still be on ELC's. The rest will be either on the roster, out of the organization, or settling into AHL careers.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Some of the bad habits he had in the first half of the year last year did creap back into his game, especially in the daily scrimmages. He was hanging onto the puck too long in dangerous places and turning it over.

One of these days, when he hangs the puck for long, he will make something out of it.

He still needs to bulk up a bit. But he oozes talent. He will create so much space once he gets confidence.

Shooter
Laine
Connor

Passer
Ehlers
Petan

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
One of these days, when he hangs the puck for long, he will make something out of it.

He still needs to bulk up a bit. But he oozes talent. He will create so much space once he gets confidence.

Shooter
Laine
Connor

Passer
Ehlers
Petan
Ahl lifer ... petan

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Petan is probably the forward prospect I'd swap for a d prospect. I really like the guy, bit he doesn't seem like he fits the mould of the Jets (not big, not that fast), and there doesn't seem like there will be room for him in the top 6 in the long run.

I really like Petan. I think given a fair shake in the top 6, top 9 he will be very much Perrault-like. Will he get that chance with Wpg given the depth we currently have - not so sure. So yea, along with Dano (who I like a lot), they may be the peices needed to get that defensive depth we critically need now.

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
you guys are still selling petan short. he could very well be a PPG star. his ceiling is definitely much higher than perreault. he has far better vision, hands and is a better skater than matty

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
you guys are still selling petan short. he could very well be a PPG star. his ceiling is definitely much higher than perreault. he has far better vision, hands and is a better skater than matty

I don't know about the skating part but I agree that his ceiling is higher. The question is still one of opportunity.

If we trade him before he has proven himself at the NHL level we likely get pennies on the dollar. Prospect for prospect trades seem to be rare except for those who have already busted. Teams want to keep the bird in hand and appear to be suspicious of prospects they are offered. "Oh yeah? What's wrong with him? Why are you trying to dump him on us?"

If we could persuade some team with good D prospects to give us fair value for him I would trade him. I don't think that is likely. It isn't because I don't think he is good. Just the opposite and I want an equally good D prospect in return.

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
I don't know about the skating part but I agree that his ceiling is higher. The question is still one of opportunity.

If we trade him before he has proven himself at the NHL level we likely get pennies on the dollar. Prospect for prospect trades seem to be rare except for those who have already busted. Teams want to keep the bird in hand and appear to be suspicious of prospects they are offered. "Oh yeah? What's wrong with him? Why are you trying to dump him on us?"

If we could persuade some team with good D prospects to give us fair value for him I would trade him. I don't think that is likely. It isn't because I don't think he is good. Just the opposite and I want an equally good D prospect in return.

Nic is actually a phenomenal skater I don't really know where the knock on that part of his game came from. His edge work is better and he's even quicker than MP.

It kind of baffles me reading how low everyone is on this guy. He should have been a top 15-20 pick at the time of the draft but fell because of....size? Literally just size, there are zero knocks on his game. We were lucky to get him in the 2nd round and I still think it was chevy's best pick besides scheif so far.

But I agree with the second part. As for your last point, I don't believe the jets could get "fair" value in another D prospect because of how high his actual potential is in contrast to his actual value right now while being under-utilized by this organization.

What D could we realistically get back? I know for a fact whoever it is won't be as good as petan even though their values may be the same.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Nic is actually a phenomenal skater I don't really know where the knock on that part of his game came from. His edge work is better and he's even quicker than MP.

It kind of baffles me reading how low everyone is on this guy. He should have been a top 15-20 pick at the time of the draft but fell because of....size? Literally just size, there are zero knocks on his game. We were lucky to get him in the 2nd round and I still think it was chevy's best pick besides scheif so far.

But I agree with the second part. As for your last point, I don't believe the jets could get "fair" value in another D prospect because of how high his actual potential is in contrast to his actual value right now while being under-utilized by this organization.

What D could we realistically get back? I know for a fact whoever it is won't be as good as petan even though their values may be the same.

That's the problem with trading prospects. As it stands right now he needs to beat Roslovic for 3C. The usage on the Moose doesn't look good but they need to train Roslo at C to convert him to that position at the pro level. Otherwise he needs to win a LW spot. Even if Ehlers goes back to RW he has Laine, Connor and Perreault to beat out. I don't like his chances unless one of Laine or Connor also moves to the right side. His only other chance is at RW. I don't think his game would lend itself to the switch.

If no one else is traded the best thing for Nic is to kill it in the A to boost his value and hope to be traded someplace where there is a better opportunity. Unfortunately for that to happen I think he needs to play C. It appears the cards are stacked against him here, at least until someone is traded.

Nothing against Nic. He deserves a better opportunity.

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
That's the problem with trading prospects. As it stands right now he needs to beat Roslovic for 3C. The usage on the Moose doesn't look good but they need to train Roslo at C to convert him to that position at the pro level. Otherwise he needs to win a LW spot. Even if Ehlers goes back to RW he has Laine, Connor and Perreault to beat out. I don't like his chances unless one of Laine or Connor also moves to the right side. His only other chance is at RW. I don't think his game would lend itself to the switch.

If no one else is traded the best thing for Nic is to kill it in the A to boost his value and hope to be traded someplace where there is a better opportunity. Unfortunately for that to happen I think he needs to play C. It appears the cards are stacked against him here, at least until someone is traded.

Nothing against Nic. He deserves a better opportunity.

I know the way you laid out the depth chart is how the jets view it as well but I don't agree with it.

IMO, petan should have started out the year higher up than laine and connor. None of them should have been left off the team though which is a big problem in my eyes. Roslovic shouldn't even be in the conversation at this point. I like what he's doing but petan is a lot more NHL ready and should be treated as such.

Basically nic could play 3C or 1/2/3 LW on this team and do fine.

The roster would be ideal with ehlers on his preferred wing, stafford gone, dano in, and petan here as well.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
This is why you trade experienced guys who have some value but don't figure into the future plans and that makes room for the young guys like Petan.
Guys like Stafford come to mind.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I know the way you laid out the depth chart is how the jets view it as well but I don't agree with it.

IMO, petan should have started out the year higher up than laine and connor. None of them should have been left off the team though which is a big problem in my eyes. Roslovic shouldn't even be in the conversation at this point. I like what he's doing but petan is a lot more NHL ready and should be treated as such.

Basically nic could play 3C or 1/2/3 LW on this team and do fine.

The roster would be ideal with ehlers on his preferred wing, stafford gone, dano in, and petan here as well.

Higher than Laine and Connor? No, sorry. Absolutely not.

In what way is Petan NOT being treated as more NHL ready than Roslovic? Roslo is playing centre because he is in school for the position not because he is seen as more NHL ready. If Petan is as good as you say he will be dominant in the A and he will move up, one way or another.

Yes he could do fine in any of those positions but he can't do better than the players who are in them now except possibly Connor who is being given some time to adapt. If he doesn't start coming around over the next 8-10 games he may well go down. In which case it may well be Petan who comes up - if he is playing well.

They are not going to waive players so they can bring up Petan, Dano and Copp. That was never in the cards. It was a big step to waive Pav and Peluso and to PB Thor and Stu. That's not even in the 'baby steps' category. There will be injuries and those guys will get called up. There may yet be a trade opening up a position or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad