Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 16-17 Part XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Does everyone prefer to save a mil or two AAV to go with a goalie without a good track record as a starter? Even if they have a great save percentage over the years? Bishop has won playoff rounds and played in big games.

There's a difference between putting up a .920 as a backup and .920 over multiple 60 game seasons.

If people are assuming price will be too high, or term way too long (5-6 years) I get it.

To me, paying $3M over a few years for a career backup like Greiss is asking for the same problems we have this year.

I believe 2yrsx6 or 3x5 should be enough to get Bishop here. Maybe a wee bit more if it was the difference between having a good vet and not.

I think that's it's extremely unlikely you'd get Bishop for that. If you are not giving term I think Bishop will look for 7.5-8.5 per at least on a 2/3 year deal. Even then I think he'd rather take a long term deal. If you want him in the 6 million dollar range you are looking at a 6/7 year term. No chance he goes for as little as 5, IMO, even a long term deal.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Does everyone prefer to save a mil or two AAV to go with a goalie without a good track record as a starter? Even if they have a great save percentage over the years? Bishop has won playoff rounds and played in big games.

There's a difference between putting up a .920 as a backup and .920 over multiple 60 game seasons.

If people are assuming price will be too high, or term way too long (5-6 years) I get it.

To me, paying $3M over a few years for a career backup like Greiss is asking for the same problems we have this year.

I believe 2yrsx6 or 3x5 should be enough to get Bishop here. Maybe a wee bit more if it was the difference between having a good vet and not.

Yeah, I think we were just discussing in the context of what the Jets are likely to do. I just don't see them going all-in for a starter. With Vegas starting play next season, there's going to be at least one club looking for goaltending at every level. And you'd have to think Dallas is going to attempt something as well...along with the Avs, Flyers, Blues, Yotes...

Bishop's the belle of the ball - he's going to have lots of offers. No way we're landing him for a 2 or 3 year deal for $12M-$15M.

I think the Jets still believe in Hellebuyck as the goalie of the future and they're not looking to lock in to an aging starter...but they should be looking to roll the dice for a backup and maybe spend a bit more there to get a guy with some upside or with a solid track record.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Bishop apparently wouldn't waive to go to Calgary earlier this year so I doubt he'd sign here.

Can't fault him for wanting to stay with a contender. Even prioritize signing with a contender in FA. But Ryan Miller looked quite particular about where he'd go until FA actually hit.

KurtG8

Apr 4, 2015
I think that's it's extremely unlikely you'd get Bishop for that. If you are not giving term I think Bishop will look for 7.5-8.5 per at least on a 2/3 year deal. Even then I think he'd rather take a long term deal. If you want him in the 6 million dollar range you are looking at a 6/7 year term. No chance he goes for as little as 5, IMO, even a long term deal.

There are exactly 3 goalies in the whole league making 7.5-8.5. And they are Bobrovsky, Lundqvist and Rask. I just don't see it landing in that range at all, his numbers definitely don't justify it at this point. Schneider is making 6 million. I think thats the High end of what we get Bishop for.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
There are exactly 3 goalies in the whole league making 7.5-8.5. And they are Bobrovsky, Lundqvist and Rask. I just don't see it landing in that range at all, his numbers definitely don't justify it at this point. Schneider is making 6 million. I think thats the High end of what we get Bishop for.

And how many top end goalies hit free agency at an age with still 5-7 years left of productive play in the league? Last time it happened arguably was Bryzgalov who got what 8 million per season on a long term deal? Schneider btw was also RFA when he signed that deal.

Like I said Bishop will not end up in the 7.5-8.5 range. Since he will be signing a 6/7 year term. Around 6 million. The poster wanted Bishop for 2/3 years. The only way Bishop would consider turning down the guaranteed money in the longterm contract (an offer he will most assuredly get as way more teams need goalies than goalies available) is if he gets a ridiculous amount of money on a short contract.

People overpay on July 1st. It's the reality. But sometimes you need to do it when you have holes to fill. See big money signings like Marian Hossa and Zdeno Chara. Sometimes it's a Bryzgalov or Clarkson. But you have to try when you have holes.

Thinking Bishop is going to take a 12/15 million dollar contract is absurd, IMO.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You're right, lost my marbles for a second there.

He'd be the type of guy I'd like to add this summer though after the expansion draft (if he was available).

Wouldn't have been too bad last summer either as a UFA. That means we didn't give up any assets so if we lose him to expansion we aren't out anything. We paid him for 1 year and got 1 year's value out of him. And if he is taken then no one else is. I don't see a downside. Just wanted to correct that XD perception because it keeps popping up in one context or another.

Having him this year might have eased Helle's transition. Wouldn't have hurt anyway and would have kept Pav in the A.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'd really lean toward Mason or Elliot, if the term could be kept down. Mason, in particular, has had multiple top-end seasons. Not against the idea of buying low, either.

Could backfire, though.

Playing behind our team D? Not likely to produce big come-back seasons from either of those. Goalies really are voodoo :laugh: but I would rather go for the one who is actually playing well this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->