Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 16-17 Part XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Continued from:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2108415

Last few posts:

Hmmm maybe LA and Cal will be desperate for a goalie after all ;) You can't go winless for long and the season is over almost before it starts.

aaaand Ondrej Pavelec is supposed to help them win how? :P ;)

I did argue that, by stating pavelec at a 1.95 million cap hit is negative value in a trade. Keri Ramo is still available as a free agent, I know he's not a world beater but his career numbers are similar to pavs if they want a stopgap goalie. I'm sure there are cheaper, better options than pavs availiable by trade too. So I repeat, I don't see the incentive for la to make this trade.

You trade for another bloated contract.

I see Pavelec as a trade deadline move to a team with goalie injuries and needing a backup. Jets retain max salary for maybe a late round pick. That's probably only possible way he's traded.

Would it be possible to trade, say, Trouba for Fowler and Jacob Larsson? Do we add something small?

Does Anaheim do it?

Carry on.

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
Need Morrissey to be good.

Increases value of Trouba in a trade if we aren't desperate.

I know everyone is saying that Chevy will be patient and thats fine but really don't want to see us lose more than we have to.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Need Morrissey to be good.

Increases value of Trouba in a trade if we aren't desperate.

I know everyone is saying that Chevy will be patient and thats fine but really don't want to see us lose more than we have to.

You're right Morrissey has everything to do with this. If he's good enough they might just trade for futures or some sort of now/futures package.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
You're right Morrissey has everything to do with this. If he's good enough they might just trade for futures or some sort of now/futures package.

Given the expansion draft, my hope is for futures more than now. One less D to be protected leaves squat for LV to pick from. Let's protect more current assets, and get a couple of promising prospects. I don't mind if it sets our window of opportunity back a year or two.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
OMG could xmas come early?.......... For Holden I mean :sarcasm:

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
OMG could xmas come early?.......... For Holden I mean :sarcasm:

Oh my! I am going to crack open a wobbly pop in celebration. Chevy has now fielded at least 1 call on Pavs rather than getting hung up on trying to peddle Pavs to teams.;)

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Hmm. Pavelec (50% retained) for Scuderi (no retention, would just bury him in the minors) + whatever other junk the Kings want to give away?

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Hmm. Pavelec (50% retained) for Scuderi (no retention, would just bury him in the minors) + whatever other junk the Kings want to give away?

Why would we do this? It's not like the are doing us a huge favor by taking Pavelec. His cap hit is only 3.9 anyways so it's not like it's crippling.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Scuderi, Stu and Strait in the same organization? Another word beginning with "S" comes to mind... :laugh:

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Why would we do this? It's not like the are doing us a huge favor by taking Pavelec. His cap hit is only 3.9 anyways so it's not like it's crippling.

His cap hit is actually $2.95M now that he's buried. Scuderi's would only be 175K.

Let's be honest here, it's likely that's only kind of trade that anyone would do for Pavelec. I would be shocked if there was any kind of draft pick or plus asset coming back, even at 50% retained.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Agreed. If the Kings are a bit desperate than make them cough up a kid round pick for us to eat half the salary. No way do we need to take a terrible player back as well.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Agreed. If the Kings are a bit desperate than make them cough up a kid round pick for us to eat half the salary. No way do we need to take a terrible player back as well.

We'd be taking back a terrible player's cap hit, which is significantly less than Pavelec's. Scuderi goes to the Moose, and at most is an emergency call-up who is likely better than Melchiori and Strait.

The desperation on the part of the Kings would be to take on a $1.45M cap hit for a replacement level goalie.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We'd be taking back a terrible player's cap hit, which is significantly less than Pavelec's. Scuderi goes to the Moose, and at most is an emergency call-up who is likely better than Melchiori and Strait.

The desperation on the part of the Kings would be to take on a $1.45M cap hit for a replacement level goalie.

Its not like we need the cap space. There is no advantage to that at all. There would be some actual money in Chipman's pocket which is not a bad thing.

If they are desperate enough to want to take a shot on Pav the best value to us is as an add to a bigger trade.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno

this makes zero sense.
trade a player that 1 team views as an asset for their bag of garbage?

you trade pavs for a 3rd round pick. maybe retain 33% salary

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
this makes zero sense.
trade a player that 1 team views as an asset for their bag of garbage?

you trade pavs for a 3rd round pick. maybe retain 33% salary

You can't be serious. Neuvirth was dealt for a 3rd round pick and a lame goalie. There's no chance Pavelec fetches that kind of return.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You can't be serious. Neuvirth was dealt for a 3rd round pick and a lame goalie. There's no chance Pavelec fetches that kind of return.

For a start I don't think we can talk about any less than max (50%) retention. I would be more than happy with a late round pick. TBH I would be happy with a 7th but I'm easily pleased. :laugh:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
For a start I don't think we can talk about any less than max (50%) retention. I would be more than happy with a late round pick. TBH I would be happy with a 7th but I'm easily pleased. :laugh:

Agreed 50% retention would be required. Interesting thought none the less.

royalwoodJet

Dec 23, 2014
I hope the Jets wouldn't have to send another team a prospect to eat Pavs' contract. Would they? a la Bickell

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I hope the Jets wouldn't have to send another team a prospect to eat Pavs' contract. Would they? a la Bickell

Jets don't need to do that because they have plenty of cap space. In the worst case scenario they just ride out Pavs last contract year and clear his contract from the books next year.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013

Jets don't need to buy cap space. They would be happy to pickup a bit of cash on moving him but are not likely to pay more than part of his salary.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice

I think the table lamp on my desk here is better than Strait.

Dirty30

Feb 12, 2012
I wasn't aware that Lindholms agent is Claude Lemieux.....the father of Winnipeg Jets prospects Brandon Lemieux.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad