Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 16-17 Part XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Here's another option out there for us to pick up a really good LHD prospect. Ana is trying desperately to rid itself of Stoner's contract (3.25 x 2 left). Stoner is a 31 yr old third pairing LHD, almost certainly better than either Stu or Chiarot.

They also have an excess of good defensive prospects, the best LHD prospect being Theodore.

What if we gave them Dano or Armia (guys that we'll currently have to expose in the expansion draft anyway) for Theodore & Stoner. Right now they are desparate to get rid of contract so they can sign Lindholm. Do we help them more than we help ourselves with a deal like this?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Here's another option out there for us to pick up a really good LHD prospect. Ana is trying desperately to rid itself of Stoner's contract (3.25 x 2 left). Stoner is a 31 yr old third pairing LHD, almost certainly better than either Stu or Chiarot.

They also have an excess of good defensive prospects, the best LHD prospect being Theodore.

What if we gave them Dano or Armia (guys that we'll currently have to expose in the expansion draft anyway) for Theodore & Stoner. Right now they are desparate to get rid of contract so they can sign Lindholm. Do we help them more than we help ourselves with a deal like this?

Not sure but I think Theodore has to be protected. Go for Larsson. Easier to pry loose, doesn't need protection and still might turn out to be the better player.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Not sure but I think Theodore has to be protected. Go for Larsson. Easier to pry loose, doesn't need protection and still might turn out to be the better player.

I thought Morrissey and Theodore were in the same boat. Just remember them being WJC d-partners together in their last year of Junior.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

I think there is certainly an option to make a deal like that (taking Stoner and getting a young D as well like Theo, Montour, or Larrson). Seems like full price to have to use Dano or Armia since we'd be taking back a player and hit that's not very attractive, but I think this type of deal is possible.

Watching our D and especially our 3rd pair, I would be more than happy if Chevy went out and tried to get someone Brendan Smith from Detroit. They need to shed salary, and he's on his last year and wouldn't be protected in the expansion draft.
Michael Stone would be an upgrade as well, and if the Coyotes don't think he's going to resign, maybe they look to get something for him as well.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
I think there is certainly an option to make a deal like that (taking Stoner and getting a young D as well like Theo, Montour, or Larrson). Seems like full price to have to use Dano or Armia since we'd be taking back a player and hit that's not very attractive, but I think this type of deal is possible.

Watching our D and especially our 3rd pair, I would be more than happy if Chevy went out and tried to get someone Brendan Smith from Detroit. They need to shed salary, and he's on his last year and wouldn't be protected in the expansion draft.
Michael Stone would be an upgrade as well, and if the Coyotes don't think he's going to resign, maybe they look to get something for him as well.

Agreed, would love to upgrade the 3rd pair. I always liked Postman but yeah that pair isn't great. I feel like now is the time to accept some of those bad contracts for a year or two before we have to re-sign Ehlers, Connor, and Laine.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think that Morrissey might seriously alter the Jets' perspectives on their D depth chart if he keeps playing this way over the next few weeks. He looks like a legit top-4 puck-moving D at this point, which is where he projected after being drafted. At this point, the Jets might be thinking about some short-term depth / upgrade for their 3rd D pairing, and maybe a future top-4 LHD.

I wonder who on the Jets all the scouts might be looking at. One of our young forwards? (Burmi, Armia, Lowry). Or maybe something more intriguing (Myers?). Personally, I don't think anything will entice Trouba back to Winnipeg, but if he's true to his word I wonder if the Jets might be considering moving Myers and signing Trouba long-term. Myers looks like he's fully recovered from his off-season surgery (which other teams would want to verify), and he's actually had a pretty strong start to the season so far.

Myers for....

Krug?
JT Miller and Skjei?
Other?

Or maybe...

Dano or Armia for:

Montour or Theodore (plus camp dump)?

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
If it would mean that Trouba would sign a 6 or 7 year contract (and really want to be here), I would most definitely trade Myers ASAP. As good as Myers can be when he's on, there is no comparison between those two.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I thought Morrissey and Theodore were in the same boat. Just remember them being WJC d-partners together in their last year of Junior.

Theodore played:
'14 - 4 gms + 4 PO gms - AHL
'15 - 9 gms - AHL
'16 - 50 gms + 7 PO gms - AHL
'16 - 19 gms + 6 PO gms - NHL
'17 - 2 gms - AHL

Morrissey played:
'14 - 8 gms + 20 PO gms - AHL
'16 - 57 gms
'16 - 1 gm - NHL
'17 - 4 gms - NHL

Players in their 2nd pro season are exempt. I'm not sure how that is defined. It almost appears that those late season AHL games while a player is still in Junior aren't counted. Or is it number of games? If PO games are included then Morrissey must be in his 3rd pro year but he went back to junior the next year. Does that erase those games?

Theodore would have had his '14 games erased too then but he also played in '15 and did not go back to Junior. In that case is 9 games enough or does it take 10? I just don't remember the finer points of those rules. Sometimes I forget what year it is. Getting old is not much fun but so far it beats the alternative. :)

If he has to be protected he is much less viable as a trade target for the Jets. If.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Dont think TNSE should be so hung up on LHD. I think we are weaker on the right side now!

If I could have my fantasy trade we would get both Larsson and Montour from Anaheim. Don't see a realistic way to do that.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Need a third team - Boston, Detroit, Arizona, or NYR - with cheap young prospects going to Anaheim.

More detail? Anaheim needs cap space to sign Lindholm and they need cheap young forwards. If they move - lets say - Fowler and Stoner for cap they are down a 2 and a 3 LHD. They can replace them with Theodore and Despres. They can now sign Lindholm but would they be willing to deplete their D pipeline to acquire some equivalent young F?

Detroit and Arizona are both cap strapped. I don't see how they can acquire anyone who will be on their NHL rosters. I could see something with NYR, Trouba for young F but we can't send them to Anaheim for those D because Ducks wouldn't have the cap after they sign Lindholm. I can't make anything work other than we could take Fowler and Stoner off their hands. We get a couple of years of Fowler and Stoner is a slight upgrade to our 3rd pair for 1 year but then where does Josh play? 3RD with Stoner? The best I can see is we take Stoner and give them a F prospect who will play in the AHL this year and they give us Larsson who will replace Stoner on our 3rd pair next year. They get cap relief + a F prospect and we get Larsson.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Theodore played:
'14 - 4 gms + 4 PO gms - AHL
'15 - 9 gms - AHL
'16 - 50 gms + 7 PO gms - AHL
'16 - 19 gms + 6 PO gms - NHL
'17 - 2 gms - AHL

Morrissey played:
'14 - 8 gms + 20 PO gms - AHL
'16 - 57 gms
'16 - 1 gm - NHL
'17 - 4 gms - NHL

Players in their 2nd pro season are exempt. I'm not sure how that is defined. It almost appears that those late season AHL games while a player is still in Junior aren't counted. Or is it number of games? If PO games are included then Morrissey must be in his 3rd pro year but he went back to junior the next year. Does that erase those games?

Theodore would have had his '14 games erased too then but he also played in '15 and did not go back to Junior. In that case is 9 games enough or does it take 10? I just don't remember the finer points of those rules. Sometimes I forget what year it is. Getting old is not much fun but so far it beats the alternative. :)

If he has to be protected he is much less viable as a trade target for the Jets. If.

I don't believe their AHL time prior to last year counts as they were on amature tryouts and weren't actually getting paid.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Larsson is the guy I want too. As much as I like Roslovic, I was hoping for Larsson to fall to the Jets that year.

I think they could survive moving one of Armia, Dano or Lowry due to Lemieux coming up behind them.

Could see Dano thriving with Getzlaf and Perry, but you have to give to get and as long as Larsson doesn't turn out to be Rundblad 2.0, it's a good trade for both teams.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Josh M and Lindholm would sure make a nice top 4 lhd

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Dont think TNSE should be so hung up on LHD. I think we are weaker on the right side now!

huh?

Right Side:
Byfuglien
Myers
Postma
Kitchon
Kostalek
Nogier
Poolman
Green
Glover

I count 3 decent NHL players for their role, 1 good AHL player, 2 questionable but young AHL players, two promising prospects, and one meh prospect

Left Side:
Enstrom
Morrissey
Chiarot
Stuart
Strait
Melchiori
Stanley
Niku

I count 1 decent NHL player with potentially 2, 2 struggling NHL players, 2 meh AHL players, 1 controversial prospect, and one longshot prospect with high upside

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
Maybe the focus isn`t Pavlec......could the scouts be looking at one of our forwards, like Petan or Dano ? Possibly related to a Trouba + deal ? :popcorn:

i swear if chevy trades petan i'm gonna jump in front of a moving train

have a bad feel about this one guys. they def aren't looking at pavs since everyone knows what he is

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
i swear if chevy trades petan i'm gonna jump in front of a moving train

have a bad feel about this one guys. they def aren't looking at pavs since everyone knows what he is

You are obviously a huge Petan fan, and I hope their is a GM out there that values him as highly as you do. But this might be a good time to move Petan if he could grease a Trouba trade for a top pairing D coming back. The emergence of Roslovic as a potential center and the amount of young talented wingers already in the organization just might squeeze Petan out anyways. He still holds a lot of potential and being on an ELC and expansion draft exempt might be very attractive to a potential trade partner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad