Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 (Part VII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
:laugh: Its 1:45 here.

Can't go to bed till I finish here. :laugh:

Hey I am sure Murray and Chevy are sleeping sound so perhaps you and I can pull off the Ladd for Theodore trade and let them know in the morning.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
If Boston does decide to move Eriksson it has the potential to really effect the kind of offers we get for Ladd.

Boston would have to have balls to deal Eriksson when they are in a playoff spot?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
What do people think the impact of the Barkov contract will be on Scheifele this off-season?

2013-14:
Scheifele 0.54 PPG
Barkov 0.44 PPG

2014-15:
Scheifele 0.60 PPG
Barkov 0.51 PPG

2015-16:
Scheifele 0.62 PPG
Barkov 0.79 PPG

Further supports my opinion that a long term deal for Scheifele is in the $5.5 million range.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Since when? Last year?

This debate happens every other year ad invariably someone ends up giving one of those pieces within a year.

They SHOULDN'T BE but gms don't act in the best interest of theurteamlong term, Theyact in the best interest of their jobs.

If ownership has mandated win now or your gone expectations on 3-4 clubs all of a sudden your sitting pretty.

Farmore pressures then we give credit to and history shows us that gms are fallabl and human,and frequently, very ego driven.

Despite what you'd assume, gm positions are extremely nepotistic and therefore those in power subject to very common/foolish errors.

I tend to agree. I am holding out hope that the return on Ladd (if dealt) will surprise some (because it will be better than some anticipate). Players of Ladd's resume aren't dealt very often at all. Looking back even just to last years deadline as a guage..

Trade Deadline 2015

To Chi: Vermette
To Phx: 1st rd pick + Klas Dahlbeck

*Ladd easily returns a better package than this, if this is a comparable. 1st rd pick + much better prospect, in my opinion.

To LA: Sekera
To Car: 2015 or 2016 conditional 1st + Roland McKeown.

*This is a good comparable but obviously different positions. Ladd has more of a resume than Sekera in my own opinion when you consider he is a captain, a top line producing winger and boasts 2 Stanley Cups. And, I think he can get a bit better of a prospect than McKeown. This deal is very close, but spice it up a bit because Ladd carries the resume to do so, in my opinion.

I do think Ladd can return a 1st rd pick + quality prospect (recent former 1st rounder). A couple of examples in which I think we can get as a package for Ladd.

To LA: Ladd (we eat salary if we have to)
To Wpg: Kempe + 1st

To Wsh: Ladd
To Wpg: Vrana + 1st/2nd

To Chi: Ladd
To Wpg: Dano/Pokka + 1st

To Fla: Ladd
To Wpg: Crouse + 1st/2nd

To Mtl: Ladd
To Wpg: McCarron + 1st (perhaps conditional 2015/2016)

I may be completely off my rocker, but I think these are the types of deals Chevy will be gunning for and I think we may find a sucker. Teams so close to potentially winning a Stanley Cup may surprise in what they would pay for a player like Ladd, in my opinion. I think he'd be a pretty huge add for a cup contending team, any of the listed teams above, and I think they would pay the price of a 1st rd pick + higher end prospect to get him in the line-up and not in an opposing contenders line-up.

Hey, maybe I am way off here, could very well be the case. I am looking forward to how this plays out, though.

Last edited:

folix

Jul 24, 2011
I tend to agree. I am holding out hope that the return on Ladd (if dealt) will surprise some (because it will be better than some anticipate). Players of Ladd's resume aren't dealt very often at all. Looking back even just to last years deadline as a guage..

Trade Deadline 2015

*Ladd easily returns a better package than this, if this is a comparable. 1st rd pick + much better prospect, in my opinion.

*This is a good comparable but obviously different positions. Ladd has more of a resume than Sekera in my own opinion when you consider he is a captain, a top line producing winger and boasts 2 Stanley Cups. And, I think he can get a bit better of a prospect than McKeown. This deal is very close, but spice it up a bit because Ladd carries the resume to do so, in my opinion.

I do think Ladd can return a 1st rd pick + quality prospect (recent former 1st rounder). A couple of examples in which I think we can get as a package for Ladd.

To Wpg: Vrana + 1st rd pick/2nd

To Wpg: Dano/Schmaltz/Pokka + 1st

I may be completely off my rocker, but I think these are the types of deals Chevy will be gunning for and I think we may find a sucker. Teams so close to potentially winning a Stanley Cup may surprise in what they would pay for a player like Ladd, in my opinion. I think he'd be a pretty huge add for a cup contending team, any of the listed teams above, and I think they would pay the price of a 1st rd pick + higher end prospect to get him in the line-up and not in an opposing contenders line-up.

Hey, maybe I am way off here, could very well be the case. I am looking forward to how this plays out, though.

I agree teams with shrinking windows (Ducks) with lack of talent at the LW position (Ducks) with a bucket load of prospects (Ducks) and remember alot of these teams will be taking that 1st rounder 25+ picks down the road, which to be honest has little difference from a second rounder in most drafts. If your a GM and you have a 2-3 max years to win that cup with your current core, that 28th over all pick and that guy in the NCAA or WHL that is a "next year player" and prob 2-3 years away from impacting your team, its a easy deal to make.

This is still a very much win now league. There are a ton of teams that are pretty much in their prime and need every little advantage they can get.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Since when? Last year?

This debate happens every other year ad invariably someone ends up giving one of those pieces within a year.

They SHOULDN'T BE but gms don't act in the best interest of theurteamlong term, Theyact in the best interest of their jobs.

If ownership has mandated win now or your gone expectations on 3-4 clubs all of a sudden your sitting pretty.

Farmore pressures then we give credit to and history shows us that gms are fallabl and human,and frequently, very ego driven.

Despite what you'd assume, gm positions are extremely nepotistic and therefore those in power subject to very common/foolish errors.

He's a very good under the radar Norwegian prospect.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg

Trade Deadline 2015

Seems doubtful that MTL would be buyers this year, they've slid pretty far. Depends if MB thinks they are a lock for the playoffs if they get some help? They're hurtin' without Price.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I agree teams with shrinking windows (Ducks) with lack of talent at the LW position (Ducks) with a bucket load of prospects (Ducks) and remember alot of these teams will be taking that 1st rounder 25+ picks down the road, which to be honest has little difference from a second rounder in most drafts. If your a GM and you have a 2-3 max years to win that cup with your current core, that 28th over all pick and that guy in the NCAA or WHL that is a "next year player" and prob 2-3 years away from impacting your team, its a easy deal to make.

This is still a very much win now league. There are a ton of teams that are pretty much in their prime and need every little advantage they can get.

Bingo, folix. We may very well get a sucker to pay our price. I think it's certainly possbile between the likes of Chicago, Washington, LA, Anaheim, Florida, perhaps Montreal, etc.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Seems doubtful that MTL would be buyers this year, they've slid pretty far. Depends if MB thinks they are a lock for the playoffs if they get some help? They're hurtin' without Price.

I agree. Montreal is a pretty big unknown. On one hand they looked like a contender, on another... ouch. Does MB try and get the train back on the tracks? does he believe a healthy Carey Price plus an addition of Ladd or E. Staal could elevate this team back to contention? maybe, maybe not. Wouldn't be surprised to see Montreal go after a big fish rental..

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
Boston would have to have balls to deal Eriksson when they are in a playoff spot?

http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/boston-bruins-seem-certain-to-trade-loui-eriksson-by-deadline

A good portion of the time Haggerty is talking out of his ass but he is also known as a guy that Bruins management will use to kind of 'put stuff out there'.

Maybe it is the former, but there's also a good chance it is the later.

In any case, Eriksson has never really fit in Boston and, regardless of playoff situation, it would be a bit strange to see either side be willing to commit to a long term deal. Obviously money solves all problems at the end of the day, though.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne

Trade Deadline 2015

IMO your comparables are correct but you are going through some pretty fancy mental gymnastics to come up with a reason Ladd should return significantly more than either of those two.

Is there is a chance Ladd could return something along the lines of your proposals? Certainly, but I'd say less than a 5% chance. I'd say the chances of him returning about the same as Vermette/Sekera is around 60%. Less, I'd say 25%. Slightly more, around 10%.

For example, I'd say that if the Jets were able to get either of Crouse or Vrana straight up for Ladd those are probably already better packages than either of the Vermette or Sekera trades.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
IMO your comparables are correct but you are going through some pretty fancy mental gymnastics to come up with a reason Ladd should return significantly more than either of those two.

Is there is a chance Ladd could return something along the lines of your proposals? Certainly, but I'd say less than a 5% chance. I'd say the chances of him returning about the same as Vermette/Sekera is around 60%. Less, I'd say 25%. Slightly more, around 10%.

For example, I'd say that if the Jets were able to get either of Crouse or Vrana straight up for Ladd those are probably already better packages than either of the Vermette or Sekera trades.

Maybe so.

I just believe that Ladd trumps either Vermette or Sekera when you're comparing the players, resumes, what they bring to the table. When you're discussing Stanley Cup contenders, everything counts and again, my opinion only, Ladd carries a better resume than either of those listed players and I think there will be a contender who see's that and pays for it. And when you add in what was paired with Vermette, again, I believe Ladd returns better. When you add in what was paired with Sekera, I believe Ladd returns better, maybe just slightly but we'll see.

It's just my opinion. And I don't think I am going through some pretty fancy mental gymnastics, so I guess we can agree to disagree and we'll eventually see the outcome if a deal is made.

Re; your last comment in bold, I do agree with that. Which is why I paired 2nd round picks in there. If we get Vrana or Crouse it's likely not paired with a 1st, perhaps a 2nd or perhaps just straight up prospect. I'm throwing a few darts at the wall here, give or take.

Last edited:

Flair Hay

Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Florida is just on the upswing I can't see them making a bad deal.

Anaheim very well could if Murray wanted to give Boudreau a better roster before deciding to **** can him this spring.

Chicago may bite the bullet but they don't have quite the pile of outside the nhl prospects.

Capitals may pay a big price just because it really looks like their year and they've never won.

I'd say Caps and Ducks are our best bets. I'm probably forgetting a few teams.

janneydraketkachuk

Jun 17, 2014
If we can score a guy like Theodore who would be a roster player for us next year that would be huge. If morrisey graduates to the jets that would have our LD no longer a position of weakness. Replace Ladd with Connor and possibly a top 5 pick and we would be in a pretty good spot next year.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Florida is just on the upswing I can't see them making a bad deal.

Anaheim very well could if Murray wanted to give Boudreau a better roster before deciding to **** can him this spring.

Chicago may bite the bullet but they don't have quite the pile of outside the nhl prospects.

Capitals may pay a big price just because it really looks like their year and they've never won.

I'd say Caps and Ducks are our best bets. I'm probably forgetting a few teams.

Florida intrigues me mainly because they're finally taking a step forward. Top seed in their division and 2nd in the Eastern Conference. And, how eager will Tallon be to assure his team gets in and potentially makes noise? I could see him making a big deal..

I think Tallon would have big interest in Ladd, both for a playoff run and a re-sign. He is the GM who acquired Ladd in Chicago back in 2008. Is that gamble (deal centered around Crouse) worth it to Tallon if he can have Ladd for a playoff run and potentially re-sign him to a 6-year deal? and given the history, I think the chances are good Tallon could re-sign Ladd in Florida.

Flair Hay

Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Florida intrigues me mainly because they're finally taking a step forward. Top seed in their division and 2nd in the Eastern Conference. And, how eager will Tallon be to assure his team gets in and potentially makes noise? I could see him making a big deal..

I think Tallon would have big interest in Ladd, both for a playoff run and a re-sign. He is the GM who acquired Ladd in Chicago back in 2008. Is that gamble worth it to Tallon if he can have Ladd for a playoff run and potentially re-sign him to a 6-year deal? and given the history, I think the chances are good Tallon could re-sign Ladd.

Good call, he'd likely be more than a rental for them.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Good call, he'd likely be more than a rental for them.

I have a hunch and a feeling that could be the case, which would make the loss of a prospect such as Crouse easier to swallow. I am not a big fan of Crouse, by the way, but, for conversation sake... I'm just having fun here throwing some **** at the wall. As ****** as this season has been, I am excited to see what potential moves are made. We as an organization have some huge decisions to make that could either make us or break us headed forward.

Huberdeau - Barkov - Jagr
Jokinen - Trocheck - Smith
Pirri - Bjugstad - Shaw
Howden - MacKenzie - Knight
Bolland, Thornton

... Ladd would add some punch to that line-up.

Last edited:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
What do people think the impact of the Barkov contract will be on Scheifele this off-season?

2013-14:
Scheifele 0.54 PPG - Age 20
Barkov 0.44 PPG - Age 18

2014-15:
Scheifele 0.60 PPG - Age 21
Barkov 0.51 PPG - Age 19

2015-16:
Scheifele 0.62 PPG - Age 22
Barkov 0.79 PPG - Age 20

I think if Scheifele was putting up 0.79 PPG at 20 we'd be talking apples-apples here. What's Barkov going to be putting up in 2 years when he's Scheifele's age now?

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
Are we allowed to let Ladd's agent speak to these teams so they can get an idea of his contract demands and possible interest in re-signing for the team inquiring? Might pay up more if they feel they have a good shot at re-signing by doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad