Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 14-15 Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Should we do Pavelec for Richards?

Kings could even trade Jones for a playoff rental.

No..... :shakehead

Pavs' contract has only two years left, and is manageable considering that we have inexpensive goalies throughout the system.

Richards' contract has 5 years left and would really create problems for the Jets in trying to keep a strong core together under the cap.

Besides, Richards looks pretty much done at this point. Too much risk with him.

Moe Mantha

Aug 8, 2008
Winnipeg, MB, CANADA
No. Richards contract is worse.

gyzqg.jpg

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Richards could be available on a cheap short contract after he is bought out by LA this summer. If he wants to get back home closer to family ........ it could be a good fit.
I just hope no crazy Gm bails out LA...... even with a trade that sees a large portion of salary retained. I like seeing the Chicago and LA's of the NHL in a cap crunch.... as it gives more parity to the western conference when they are forced to trade off assets.:yo:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Richards could be available on a cheap short contract after he is bought out by LA this summer. If he wants to get back home closer to family ........ it could be a good fit.
I just hope no crazy Gm bails out LA...... even with a trade that sees a large portion of salary retained. I like seeing the Chicago and LA's of the NHL in a cap crunch.... as it gives more parity to the western conference when they are forced to trade off assets.:yo:

LA can't buy Richards out. That ship has sailed. The Kings are stuck with his contract, unless they can trade him and his contract to another NHL team, or unless Richards retires.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
LA can't buy Richards out. That ship has sailed. The Kings are stuck with his contract, unless they can trade him and his contract to another NHL team, or unless Richards retires.

They can still buy him out, it will just have to be a regular buyout where they retain 2/3 of his contract over twice the length remaining. The ship sailed on the compliance buyout though where they could have bought out the contract and walked away with no cap hit.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

The compliance buyout window is no longer available, but teams can always buy out a contract at a portion of the overall cost.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014

They could do a regular course buyout. It would sting quite a bit and I think they'd rather retain a full half than go that route.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
They can still buy him out, it will just have to be a regular buyout where they retain 2/3 of his contract over twice the length remaining. The ship sailed on the compliance buyout though where they could have bought out the contract and walked away with no cap hit.

The compliance buyout window is no longer available, but teams can always buy out a contract at a portion of the overall cost.

They could do a regular course buyout. It would sting quite a bit and I think they'd rather retain a full half than go that route.

Got it. Thanks. So, how much cap hit do they retain with a regular buy out?

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

From some other post on HF:

http://www.nhlscap.com/cap_faq.htm

CONTRACT BUYOUTS

Teams were given a one-time chance to buy-out players for 2/3rds of the remaining value of the contract between July 23 and July 29, 2005 without the buy-out counting against the salary cap. In future years, teams may still buy-out player contracts for a portion of the remaining value of the contract paid over twice the remaining length of the contract. If the player is
-- Under the age of 26 at the time of termination, the buyout amount is 1/3rd the remaining value
-- 26 or older at the time of termination, the buyout amount is 2/3rd the remaining value.

This is set forth in 13(d) of the Standard Player Contract (Exhibit 1 in the CBA). The remainder of this explanation applies to buyouts that took place after July 29, 2005, and assumes the player was not 35 or older when signing his SPC (in which case a buyout does not reduce the cap hit).

When a player is bought out, the team still takes a cap hit for the player over twice the remaining length of the contract. The amount of the cap hit (by year) is determined as follows:

1. Take the actual salary due for each remaining year.
2. Take the Averaged Player Salary (cap hit) for the current contract
3. Calculate the buy-out amount (as described above)
4. Spread the buy-out amount evenly over twice the remaining years of the contract
5. Take the number in #1 and subtract the number in #4. This is the “buyout savingsâ€.
6. Take the cap hit from #2 and subtract the buyout savings from #5.

NOTE: This calculation has to be done for each year - meaning that the cap hit on a buyout will not necessarily be the same for all years (see examples below). It can even be negative (meaning the team gets a credit). However, it’s critical to have the correct information for #1 and #2 to get the correct cap hit. The cap hit on a buyout is only the same for all affected years if the remaining yearly salary is the same for all years. If it varies, then the cap hit on a buyout will vary.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

This is where we miss CapGeek. But someone posted this link somewhere (might have been here I forget), and its a web archive of the Richards buyout page.

It's assuming a buyout before this season 2014-2015, but you get the drift.

http://web.archive.org/web/20140703062222/http://www.capgeek.com/buyout-calculator/?player_id=741

17.7 in actual dollars to Richards over 11 years (if buyout was this summer), with cap hits to the Kings from 1.3 million to 4.3 million over the next 11 years.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Galiardi on waivers, Olkinuora called up to St John's.

Jets have 12 forwards vs. 9 defencemen on the roster, and the Ice Caps have three goalies on the roster?

I know we say this a lot, but something must be up...

Edit: I'm guessing it's Budaj and an extra D-man to someone who needs a goalie. Or Budaj is just going to even out money.

Edit 2: Going out on a limb--Budaj, Postma and a 4th for Jagr

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Jets have 12 forwards vs. 9 defencemen on the roster, and the Ice Caps have three goalies on the roster?

Edit: I'm guessing it's Budaj and an extra D-man to someone who needs a goalie. Or Budaj is just going to even out money.

I was just thinking exactly the same. They don't want Budaj but taking him off our hands is part of the deal.

I wouldn't like to lose Postma for a rental though. I'd rather it was Harrison or Pardy going but Jagr is probably worth more, even as a rental.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Galiardi isn't surprising at all, but I thought he only came off the roster after clearing, not before.

But the olkinuora move is interesting. No idea what's going on there.

Last edited:

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I was just thinking exactly the same. They don't want Budaj but taking him off our hands is part of the deal.

I wouldn't like to lose Postma for a rental though. I'd rather it was Harrison or Pardy going but Jagr is probably worth more, even as a rental.

I generally agree, but it's gotta be someone with some term and youth or there's no reason for Lamoriello to do it.

Unless it's a goalie to a team that's still in the race...? Most playoff teams wouldn't want Budaj nor would want to take on cap for a buried Budaj, even just $475k. But I wouldn't put it past Cheveldayoff to put together a deal that doesn't susbscribe to a strict 'buyers/sellers' notion. It might just be a hockey trade (or even another AHL hockey trade).

And I think the Devils are basically the only team that actually would want Budaj. If this season's a write-off why not finally give Schneider some nights off/bring in a tank commander? And he's right in Lamoriello's preferred age range. :D

Galiardi isn't surprising at all, but I thought he only came odd the roster after clearing, not before.

But the olkinuora move is interesting. No idea what's going on there.

Truthfully, it could just be because Budaj can't win a game.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.

Why does everyone want Jagr? The guy runs out of gas come playoff time and is basically a pylon on skates. Its not Jagr. It is not ever going to be Jagr. The guy used to be awesome, but now he's old and tired. Why would we spend assets for that?

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

This, so much that.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I generally agree, but it's gotta be someone with some term and youth or there's no reason for Lamoriello to do it.

Unless it's a goalie to a team that's still in the race...? Most playoff teams wouldn't want Budaj nor would want to take on cap for a buried Budaj, even just $475k. But I wouldn't put it past Cheveldayoff to put together a deal that doesn't susbscribe to a strict 'buyers/sellers' notion. It might just be a hockey trade (or even another AHL hockey trade).

And I think the Devils are basically the only team that actually would want Budaj. If this season's a write-off why not finally give Schneider some nights off/bring in a tank commander? And he's right in Lamoriello's preferred age range. :D

Truthfully, it could just be because Budaj can't win a game.

Hah! Budaj to echl?

TBH that is the most likely scenario. His mentoring is successfully completed and they want a backup in StJs who has at least some chance of winning. At the same time it might be a last chance for Olki. His contract is expiring.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Hah! Budaj to echl?

I really doubt that they send Budaj to the ECHL.

Could Budaj be injured? If not, I would be more inclined to think that the Jets might be packaging Budaj in a deal, perhaps to balance salaries.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I really doubt that they send Budaj to the ECHL.

Could Budaj be injured? If not, I would be more inclined to think that the Jets might be packaging Budaj in a deal, perhaps to balance salaries.

Certainly a possibility but why would the Jets take a less advantageous trade when Budaj will soon be off the books anyway. Surely no one could actually want Budaj after his horrible play in the AHL.

Budaj injured is more likely than him being traded I think but I am also thinking they want to give Olki another chance. He is on an expiring contract and must have been on his way out until he seemed to turn it around in the ECHL. Maybe they want to give him a few more AHL games before deciding whether to drop him or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad