Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 14-15 Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
I believe it wasn't Thorburn's agent who said their was interest everywhere, but Toth said "trade" and said he reported on said trade talk. I just can't remember any other trades being mentioned.

I didn't read the quote.... did he say he reported on it or just heard about it?

It's quite possible to me that teams have inquired about him, and Toth (or anyone else) hasn't reported on it previously. That's how it works in sports journalism - break the GM's trust and you're out of the loop.

Personally, I don't see the value in the guy, but so far Maurice and Noel (to name just two) disagree with me.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I would think that last year since he was on a good contract and going to be an UFA that a lot of teams had interest as a depth guy for the playoffs.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
You guys hear between 2-3 period (tonight) Lawless talking about the Reimer+ for Yak trade rumour? Bad for Oilers.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
You guys hear between 2-3 period (tonight) Lawless talking about the Reimer+ for Yak trade rumour? Bad for Oilers.

Reimer is a clear backup in TO and Yakupov still has huge potential. Makes less than 0 sense for edm with scrivens and fasth already there.

EDIT: Sorry thought you said bad for to.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Reimer is a clear backup in TO and Yakupov still has huge potential. Makes less than 0 sense for edm with scrivens and fasth already there.

EDIT: Sorry thought you said bad for to.

Agreed, but you did hear/see that interview right? I think it was shown only on the WPG feed.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Agreed, but you did hear/see that interview right? I think it was shown only on the WPG feed.

Lawless is just pulling something out of his a$$.

Reimer makes little sense, especially for Yak. Maybe Phaneuf goes the other way, but that's a guess. So that's just like Lawless.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Lawless is just pulling something out of his a$$.

Reimer makes little sense, especially for Yak. Maybe Phaneuf goes the other way, but that's a guess. So that's just like Lawless.

It was just a purely stupid comment by lawless. At first I didn't think I heard him correctly. I think we could mustard up a little more than a career backup for a former #1 pick still on his ELC.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
It was just a purely stupid comment by lawless. At first I didn't think I heard him correctly. I think we could mustard up a little more than a career backup for a former #1 pick still on his ELC.

Agreed, it was a stupid rumour, wonder where he heard that gem. Oiler fans would freak out if their GM made that trade. :laugh:

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I believe it wasn't Thorburn's agent who said their was interest everywhere, but Toth said "trade" and said he reported on said trade talk. I just can't remember any other trades being mentioned.

saw that exchange on twitter...it was aggravating. toth comes from the gord steeves school of debating: just make **** up.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Wonder how long it takes for Chevy to make a move to shake things up?

Oh wait. This is Chevy. Finishing last in the Central again, is a process.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand

Such a baseless rumour and terrible trade. Oilers already have Fasth and Scrivens, who by all accounts are as good as Reimer. It would have to be something substantial as a plus to that trade, like Reimer + 2015 1st for Yakupov. Nonis would never pull the trigger on that trade.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Wonder how long it takes for Chevy to make a move to shake things up?

Oh wait. This is Chevy. Finishing last in the Central again, is a process.

But which way to you go? Does Chevy believe this team can make the playoffs and tries to get something that can help immediately sacrificing a bit of the future? Or do you start looking to move vets now to enhance the future and let the inevitable train wreck happen? Or most likely he does nothing, we find our barrings enough to salvage an almost good enough to make the playoffs season. Rinse and repeat.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
But which way to you go? Does Chevy believe this team can make the playoffs and tries to get something that can help immediately sacrificing a bit of the future? Or do you start looking to move vets now to enhance the future and let the inevitable train wreck happen? Or most likely he does nothing, we find our barrings enough to salvage an almost good enough to make the playoffs season. Rinse and repeat.

I think the Jets need to wait until after this home stand, or maybe 20 games in. If they are struggling at that point, I think Chevy needs to work on reshaping the roster by moving a couple of core players for young players, prospects and /or picks.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I think the Jets need to wait until after this home stand, or maybe 20 games in. If they are struggling at that point, I think Chevy needs to work on reshaping the roster by moving a couple of core players for young players, prospects and /or picks.

20 games in, makes sense. Give some time to see how players perform. But this is Chevy.

Kane may just be back, after 10-15 gms, so he'll have to see what the lineup is like with him in it. If there are any other injuries, he'll wait till everyone is back, to "evaluate" this roster. And then it will be the TD, and then **crickets**.

Most definitely, rinse and repeat.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
But which way to you go? Does Chevy believe this team can make the playoffs and tries to get something that can help immediately sacrificing a bit of the future?

Can't see the future being sacrificed. Perhaps a move that adds some salary and helps out a cap strapped team? As long as it has minimal impact on the prospect cupboard.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

Support this lineup with 'adds' to compete now or move vets for more, young assets. Well, I like option two. Your best players are young and developing. Support them, not 30+ yr olds who are on the decline.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Support this lineup with 'adds' to compete now or move vets for more, young assets. Well, I like option two. Your best players are young and developing. Support them, not 30+ yr olds who are on the decline.

Agreed. But we both know how unlikely it is for Chevy to all of a sudden take the bull by the horns and start making bold moves.

Like all seasons I try to come in optimistic, and I know its early but after a 3-4 preseason against mostly fellow weak sisters. A 1-3 start, getting blanked by arguably the only team in the division we have a chance of finishing ahead of, the optimism is already starting to drain.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
So if I've got this right, all of the furious posturing about 'picking a direction' and 'transitioning the core' is just about trading Byfuglien? Likely for a low first, a middling prospect, and a cap dump that we get to worry about 'blocking our prospects' and 'being paid money he could have used to sign Frolik'? What are the chances that said cap dump or middling prospect will get a point on 80% of the Jets' power-play goals?

That sounds so appealing, it must just be fear that's keeping Cheveldayoff inactive.

Or is Ladd supposed to go, too?

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

If the Jets are where most people anticipated they'd be at the 20 game mark they, then the GM needs to make drastic changes? Not sure I buy that.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
If the Jets are where most people anticipated they'd be at the 20 game mark they, then the GM needs to make drastic changes? Not sure I buy that.

But where do Jets management realistically expect the team to be by then? Perhaps they have different expectations than their public stance of wanting to be a playoff team. But maybe they actually believe it.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
But where do Jets management realistically expect the team to be by then? Perhaps they have different expectations than their public stance of wanting to be a playoff team. But maybe they actually believe it.

In Chipman's interview with Patterson and Lawless he said--I paraphrase: 'we want to make the playoffs this year, but... [something something sacrificing the future]'. To me this sends a much different message from 'we want to make the playoffs this year [full stop]'.

I think the media has picked up on some just-make-the-playoffs-already goal, but the organization has bigger, and yes, more difficult and longer-term, plans.

[Hilariously, on Hockey Central last night ****ing-dip**** P.J. Stock and the weaselly-professor guy both said basically that the organization is patient and improving and also Atlanta's cupboards, et cetera, meanwhile Leah Hextall was spouting the '5 year plan' nonsense that I've been unable to trace back to True North. So, maybe it's the local media as opposed to the media in general.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad