Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 14-15 Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Sounds just as good as trading away Halak + Stewart to get Miller.... but even worse.

Except they aren't trading Halak and Reimer as the principle pieces in one trade. My scenario is to get them some decent depth on D (because after Vlasic, they suck). They can probably trade a depth D and a pick for Reimer.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Except they aren't trading Halak and Reimer as the principle pieces in one trade. My scenario is to get them some decent depth on D (because after Vlasic, they suck). They can probably trade a depth D and a pick for Reimer.

And how is the Toronto ML defense helping them get decent depth on D? + taking Reimer while having two fine goaltenders?

Doesn't make much sense to me.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
The only pieces on Ottawa I would be interested in, are the ones they won't trade (Lazar and Zib, "maybe" Stone) and their 1st.

Not much interest in Wiercioch unless we're getting him for cheap. He's not a true 2nd pair D man which we need. Or much of an improvement on Clitsome, if at all.

Don't see the love for Chiasson either.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I wasn't saying to trade Halak to the Leafs for their depth D...

Of course you didn't? What makes you think I was saying that?

Still: I don't see how a trade around Reimer and a Maple Leafs defender could make much sense fore San Jose (if Reimer is part of the deal).

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I bet it's Michalek. Not saying I want it to be Michalek, I just have a feeling.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Michalek is so so. I dunno. Jets are seeing things maybe. Remember when Zbin was not playing. That was the time to scoop him up.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I bet it's Michalek. Not saying I want it to be Michalek, I just have a feeling.

Not a fan, but wouldn't hate it depending on the price.

I don't like his salary and think he's trending downwards though. I would be somewhat worried about what his salary would do in regards to re-signing Frolik, as well as possibly handcuffing the team on the UFA front especially when Scheifele, Trouba, and Lowry are off their ELC's, and both Ladd and Buff are UFA's (if they are in the plans) in 2016.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Not a fan, but wouldn't hate it depending on the price.

I don't like his salary and think he's trending downwards though. I would be somewhat worried about what his salary would do in regards to re-signing Frolik, as well as possibly handcuffing the team on the UFA front especially when Scheifele, Trouba, and Lowry are off their ELC's, and both Ladd and Buff are UFA's (if they are in the plans) in 2016.

Michalek's turning 30 this year. How exactly does he fit with the Jets organizational development?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Budaj traded when? TD or sooner?

We need Budaj IMO as insurance for Hutch.....at least at the moment, until Hutch shows he belongs in the NHL anyways. At the TD maybe if Hutch is playing better by then.

Without Budaj, Hellebuyck is the 3rd string goalie - and he's pretty green to be expected to play NHL hockey if Pavs or Hutch get hurt. I think Budaj is with the organization all year - unless we're right out of it by the TD.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Michalek's turning 30 this year. How exactly does he fit with the Jets organizational development?

He doesn't, that's also a concern.

I wouldn't be enamored with a trade for him for both of those reasons (contracts and development), I'm just saying that it also depends on the price.

Would I send a decent prospect and or a 2nd or 3rd for him? No. But if the Sens are fine with taking a lot less (mid round pick and/or C prospect) I would take the flyer. The Jets could trade him before 2016 to avoid the contract situations with the other players, and possibly get an ok asset for him if he plays well here.

(I'm not advocating acquiring him, just highlighting a scenario where I would be "ok" with it).

Last edited:

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
The only pieces on Ottawa I would be interested in, are the ones they won't trade (Lazar and Zib, "maybe" Stone) and their 1st.

Not much interest in Wiercioch unless we're getting him for cheap. He's not a true 2nd pair D man which we need. Or much of an improvement on Clitsome, if at all.

Don't see the love for Chiasson either.
Mark Stone would have been a "buy low" kind of pickup in the offseason. Seemed like a guy who would be squeezed out in Ottawa. The word is out now, as he's playing in their top 6 to start the year and looking really good. I'd go after him if the deal is right: I see him as an excellent middle 6'er.

Lazar's a non-starter: we don't get him without sending Scheifele back. Fans and the organization are SUPER high on that kid.

I suspect it could be just a "warm body" trade: Greening, Condra, and Smith have all fallen out of favour there, as has Clitsome here. Assuming they are happy with Ellerby or Chiarot as the #7, that could work.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
via JimTothSports 12:39pm via Twitter Web Client

Here is what I do know Most trades Jets have attempted every inquiring team wanted Thorburn thrown in #fact

Does anybody recall any near or attempted Jets trades that have been reported on apart from the Seto and Thor to the Sharks thing last year? Am I missing something or is he trolling based on the fact that there has only been the one?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Mark Stone would have been a "buy low" kind of pickup in the offseason. Seemed like a guy who would be squeezed out in Ottawa. The word is out now, as he's playing in their top 6 to start the year and looking really good. I'd go after him if the deal is right: I see him as an excellent middle 6'er.

Lazar's a non-starter: we don't get him without sending Scheifele back. Fans and the organization are SUPER high on that kid.

I suspect it could be just a "warm body" trade: Greening, Condra, and Smith have all fallen out of favour there, as has Clitsome here. Assuming they are happy with Ellerby or Chiarot as the #7, that could work.

I hear ya Jamie. While none of those names really interest me, if the org wants to move a guy like Clitsome for one it won't be the end of the world.

I personally wouldn't be interested in any of their castoffs for a quality prospect or pick. But if they want a Clitsome, Ellerby, Hali, Thor (;)), knock themselves out.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Does anybody recall any near or attempted Jets trades that have been reported on apart from the Seto and Thor to the Sharks thing last year? Am I missing something or is he trolling based on the fact that there has only been the one?

What in the????

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

I call ********.

I really don't have much respect for Toth. I don't think he knows what he is talking about half the time.

Remember, he was the guy hardcore defending Pavelec all last year.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg

The biggest red flag is if the Jets were so eager to throw Thorburn into a deal why would they resign him?

Surely they can't think that he ADDS value to a trade.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
The biggest red flag is if the Jets were so eager to throw Thorburn into a deal why would they resign him?

Surely they can't think that he ADDS value to a trade.

He was suggesting that every other team wants Thorburn, not that the Jets want to give him away. I suspect he was trolling as there has only ever been on trade reported, with names named.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
He was suggesting that every other team wants Thorburn, not that the Jets want to give him away. I suspect he was trolling as there has only ever been on trade reported, with names named.

Ah, I see #readingcomprehension.
(thats what I thought upon first reading, but I figured there is NO WAY other teams have inquired about obtaining Thorburn...)

Well, I guess thats encouraging...

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa

I dunno...

At Chevy's presser after Thorburn was re-signed he mentioned that there was interest from other teams around the league in signing him. He signed one or two days before July 1, smack in the middle of the "interview period", so I doubt Chevy was blowing smoke here.

As much inroads as have been made by the analytics movement, there are still a lot of old-school GMs in this league. I don't imagine Glen Sather or Jim Rutherford spend a lot of time looking at Fenwick Close numbers, for instance ;) It doesn't surprise me at all that a guy like Thorburn has value around the league.

We've seen him promoted to the 3rd line (or higher!) under two different coaches now. That alone should tell you that he has a value - on the ice, not in the room - that a lot of us can't seem to put a finger on :)

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I dunno...

At Chevy's presser after Thorburn was re-signed he mentioned that there was interest from other teams around the league in signing him. He signed one or two days before July 1, smack in the middle of the "interview period", so I doubt Chevy was blowing smoke here.

As much inroads as have been made by the analytics movement, there are still a lot of old-school GMs in this league. I don't imagine Glen Sather or Jim Rutherford spend a lot of time looking at Fenwick Close numbers, for instance ;) It doesn't surprise me at all that a guy like Thorburn has value around the league.

We've seen him promoted to the 3rd line (or higher!) under two different coaches now. That alone should tell you that he has a value - on the ice, not in the room - that a lot of us can't seem to put a finger on :)
I believe it wasn't Thorburn's agent who said their was interest everywhere, but Toth said "trade" and said he reported on said trade talk. I just can't remember any other trades being mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad