Jets fans around the world - introduce yourselves!

arrows19

Mar 31, 2018
QLD, Australia
(I just finished writing and this was a lot longer than I meant it to be - sorry!)

G'day,

I've been watching hockey since my mate and I 'discovered' it a few years back - as you can imagine it gets almost zero coverage in Australia. We picked the Penguins as our team for literally no better reason than we rated the logo and colours, a pretty shocking reason to pick a team I know :laugh:. We watched them with a loose interest go back to back, without watching too many games or becoming fully invested in the sport. I bought a Kessel jersey (you gotta love Phil), and could appreciate Sid, Geno etc but I never really fell in love with the team. I found the atmosphere at home games to be kinda dull, and I hate more than just about anything in sports being a bandwagon fan (in my favourite sport, Australian rules football, I was born into being a fan of a traditional but severely underachieving team. No matter what, I will stick by them and continue to despise people who jump on cup winning teams). I realised I had unintentionally chosen one of the most infamous bandwagon teams in the Pens, bar maybe Chicago.

So this season, I decided to go in with a clean slate. It's a huge no-no to give up on your team I'm fully aware, but I don't think the Pens were ever really mine. Witnessing winning the Stanley Cup twice should've been absolutely amazing, but it was only a fraction of the emotion I should've felt. Watching a variety of teams this season, I've been drawn well and truly to the Jets. There is an undeniable love and loyalty you guys have for your team, through thick and thin, and this is something I admire the most in a fanbase (I remember watching the white out vs Anaheim a couple years back and I was absolutely in awe). These young players are so exciting, the way you play makes me want to come back and watch every game. You've had hardship in the past, your team didnt even exist for a while in the middle there, and now things are finally looking to be on the up. Being a Jets fan and grabbing that first cup sounds like it would be an incredible ride.

I will always have a soft spot for the Pens, only because of familiarity and the fact that they are what made me start watching hockey those years ago. But I want to feel passion for the NHL and an NHL team in the same way I do for Aus footy and my Aus footy club. I hope you can accept my crash and bash entry into hockey and give me a chance as a Jets fan.

Cheers :)

supersonic jet

Jun 22, 2014
Winnipeg
(I just finished writing and this was a lot longer than I meant it to be - sorry!)

G'day,

I've been watching hockey since my mate and I 'discovered' it a few years back - as you can imagine it gets almost zero coverage in Australia. We picked the Penguins as our team for literally no better reason than we rated the logo and colours, a pretty shocking reason to pick a team I know :laugh:. We watched them with a loose interest go back to back, without watching too many games or becoming fully invested in the sport. I bought a Kessel jersey (you gotta love Phil), and could appreciate Sid, Geno etc but I never really fell in love with the team. I found the atmosphere at home games to be kinda dull, and I hate more than just about anything in sports being a bandwagon fan (in my favourite sport, Australian rules football, I was born into being a fan of a traditional but severely underachieving team. No matter what, I will stick by them and continue to despise people who jump on cup winning teams). I realised I had unintentionally chosen one of the most infamous bandwagon teams in the Pens, bar maybe Chicago.

So this season, I decided to go in with a clean slate. It's a huge no-no to give up on your team I'm fully aware, but I don't think the Pens were ever really mine. Witnessing winning the Stanley Cup twice should've been absolutely amazing, but it was only a fraction of the emotion I should've felt. Watching a variety of teams this season, I've been drawn well and truly to the Jets. There is an undeniable love and loyalty you guys have for your team, through thick and thin, and this is something I admire the most in a fanbase (I remember watching the white out vs Anaheim a couple years back and I was absolutely in awe). These young players are so exciting, the way you play makes me want to come back and watch every game. You've had hardship in the past, your team didnt even exist for a while in the middle there, and now things are finally looking to be on the up. Being a Jets fan and grabbing that first cup sounds like it would be an incredible ride.

I will always have a soft spot for the Pens, only because of familiarity and the fact that they are what made me start watching hockey those years ago. But I want to feel passion for the NHL and an NHL team in the same way I do for Aus footy and my Aus footy club. I hope you can accept my crash and bash entry into hockey and give me a chance as a Jets fan.

Cheers :)
Welcome aboard picked a good yr to follow

Reactions: arrows19

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
@arrows19 Not a Carlton fan, are you?

Welcome mate, good to have another down under fan onboard.
(I was born into the kiwi branch of a family of crazy Geelong fans)

UFO

Mar 14, 2022
Switzerland
Hey guys, Jets fan from Switzerland here. Have been a fan since 2011. Fell in love with the passion surrounding the club and the way Big Buff checked everyone across the ice.

I finally managed to get a heritage white jersey off the truenorthstore. it was quite an odyssey, but hey, now I proudly represent the Jets in Switzerland.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Hey guys, Jets fan from Switzerland here. Have been a fan since 2011. Fell in love with the passion surrounding the club and the way Big Buff checked everyone across the ice.

I finally managed to get a heritage white jersey off the truenorthstore. it was quite an odyssey, but hey, now I proudly represent the Jets in Switzerland.
Is there a name and number on the jersey?

Reactions: Aggie204

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I'm an avid sports fan (hockey, soccer, american football) and I usually don't put a current player on the back of a jersey. However, this time I bought a Scheifele shirt. On the brighte side, he has been playing better since the arrival of the jersey. :p
Cool! Thanks for the story.

Reactions: UFO

Jetland162702

Pup-peroni Junkie
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg

Welcome, thanks for contributing. Been to Switzerland once and I absolutely loved it. What a beautiful country.

Reactions: UFO and sipowicz

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
A number of people have PM'ed the Jets mods, and requested a new stickied thread for introducing yourselves to the rest of the HFJets mob/populace, as well as a place to pass along information about visiting Winnipeg (tips regarding what to do when in Winnipeg, what to see, where to stay, etc).

So, here t'is!

The mods will add relevant info to this post as we go.

Have fun!

Nice to hear from you Y'...

Even if it is from 2011... :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad