F James Hagens - USNTDP Juniors, USHL (2025 Draft)

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
TSN at the beginning of the tournament was doing a feature about the USA's returning players. They said they had three returning players, but didn't even go on to name Hagens. Instead they talked about Eiserman and Hutson. Those guys are good players, but come on, how could you be so stupid to not talk about the guy who clearly drives the bus? Has 6 more points than any player on his own team.

I think the questions about whether he was the 1OA favorite for next year are also starting to become answered. Not that other guys still can't challenge him, but he's doing his part. Would take a great player to knock him off 1OA.
TSN is kinda stupid and probably focusing on Draft Eligible players. In one game, the guy calling the game with Button didn't realize that the NTDP didn't play in the Hlinka tournament and referenced a "re-match" from the most recent Semis, and Button had to correct him.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

I don’t really see too many similarities to be honest, my comp has always been Larkin
Larkin is definitely a better comp, though Hagens is more creative and handsier, and will probably never have that powerful of a stride.

I think Hughes is probably the cleanest comp. Hagens is not quite as quick and is a bit stronger on his feet, but he uses his edges, hands, and vision to patrol the offensive zone in a very similar manner.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Larkin is definitely a better comp, though Hagens is more creative and handsier, and will probably never have that powerful of a stride.

I think Hughes is probably the cleanest comp. Hagens is not quite as quick and is a bit stronger on his feet, but he uses his edges, hands, and vision to patrol the offensive zone in a very similar manner.

I had Jack Hughes as well.

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
I had Jack Hughes as well.

Hughes, slightly more skilled and a better skater (Few if any (ok McDavid) players are as good or better than Hughes in this area) but Hagens is a more cerebal player. He has shown that he can make plays out of virtually nothing and at the same age as Hughes, a far more complete player....better shot, stronger ect....

So yeah, I think Hagens will have a Hughes type impact in the NHL....no idea WTH Button is taking about a Kadri comparison. Hagens will also be far more productive in the NHL than Larkin.

We are talking about a future NHL all star who will, in his prime, consistently be in the top 10 in scoring.....he's that good and has proven, baring totally unforeseen circumstances, he is the number one rated prospect in the 25 draft.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Had another 2+1 today. Has 9+10=19 points in 5 games. He's 3 points away from setting the tournament record and has two games to go.

I know every good center below 6'0 at some point is compared to him, but the best comparison may be Point, although there may not be an exact comparison out there for a current NHL'er. I don't think he has the same skating or puck handling as Hughes. He's very good, but Hughes is a slightly higher level. However, Hagens is also smarter, better defensively, stronger on face-offs, stronger in general, better at avoiding hits, and shoots the puck better at the same age. I think Hagens is a little better of a prospect at the same age, although it's not too much of a difference. I actually think there are some similarities to Catton and Cooley, but I think he's better than both.

Reactions: JotAlan

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
It's funny some people are knocking him for his defensive game (in another top prospects thread) and then you see quotes like that. They see a slightly undersized skilled forward and assume he must have a weak 200 ft game. When in reality it's something he is clearly much more advanced with than Hughes was.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
It's funny some people are knocking him for his defensive game (in another top prospects thread) and then you see quotes like that. They see a slightly undersized skilled forward and assume he must have a weak 200 ft game. When in reality it's something he is clearly much more advanced with than Hughes was.

His 200-foot game is elite for the junior level. How it translates is always a question but no reason to critique his defensive game as of now.

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
What!? No one would ever completely make something up to support some narrative they’re spewing on this board. Everyone on HFboards is absolutely beyond reproach!

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
He closes off passing lanes better than about anyone I’ve ever seen in an NTDP uniform and is a great back checker.

It’s also been reported that he’s a freak in terms of conditioning. He broke his gym’s house record in their varied conditioning test- a facility that trains athletes in all sports- as a 16 year old. He’ll likely never be blowing players up or dominate board battles, but all the pieces are there for a guy that could be an elite defensive forward.

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
Looking forward to seeing one of the Sharks, Blackhawks or Ducks draft Celebrini and Hagens. That would be an insane center duo. 🤯😵‍💫

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
Now holds the record for most points in a single tournament.

I can’t speak for Frondell having not seen him play but against all the other 2025 players I’ve seen I think in my eyes he has solidified his place as the best prospect in 2025

Right, I just can't see players such as Martone, Misa or Frondell having the impact of Hagans. He would really, really have to struggle in college next year for his spot to be challenged and I just don't see that happening. He'll have the same impact in the NCAA that Celebrini had this this year.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
His 200-foot game is elite for the junior level. How it translates is always a question but no reason to critique his defensive game as of now.
Yeah, how defensive game translates to pro-hockey is very hard to read, and a major reason why defencemen are harder to project at 18 than forwards. You can see if guys have the fundamentals and play within structure, but the windows to make strong defensive plays at the NHL level are so much tighter than any other level of hockey. One bad mis-step and you are in prime position to be exploited by high-end talent in the NHL like McDavid, MacKinnon, Matthews, Kucherov, etc, and even average to lower tier players are capable of exploiting small mistakes. The other thing is, playing strong possessionally (which is highly valued), is much different when you are playing against guys who are 6'3 210 with huge wingspans. Not that Hagens doesn't have the skill to overcome it, but he'll often be matched up against guys like Matthews, Barkov, Draisaitl, Eichel, etc who are just big humans with strength and a ton of skill (and in Eichel's case, high-end skating).

Reactions: William H Bonney

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Hagens looks awesome. Well rounded player for this stage in his development. I like that his offence comes naturally and that he doesn't really rely on any single gimmick to create. Smart player.

It's hard to know how defensive play will translate other than that the players who don't care at all about defence in junior probably won't care in the NHL. I remember watching Bergeron in the QMJHL in 2003. He was smart and worked hard, but I didn't see a guy who would dominate defensively in the NHL for 15 years, and I can't imagine many others did either.

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Just to note, Hagens is now 5th all time in pts in NTDP history with 187 career points. 1st is Hughes with 228 points. Hagens is 2pts behind Keller for 4th. He’s surpassed Matthews, Kane, Kessel and Perrault this year.

Also with 102 points, he’s now the 10th player all time to hit 100 points in a season. He matched Kane’s 102 points in his final year with the NTDP

I know there were some “production” question marks around Hagens on this board earlier this year, I think those questions have been answered imo

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I was impressed with his interview today during the 2nd intermission. Seems like a real mature kid,

Reactions: JotAlan

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00
    Event closes