Speculation: Jets FA/Trade goalie options

SnepstStach

Apr 18, 2015
Winnipeg
I think they should sign a goalie that can play here for the next 4 years. they should go after a goalie in his late 20's-early 30's, sign him for 4 years, This would give the team stability and contingency in the goalie position. If none of the prospects amount to anything, we still have a decent keeper. If the prospects do, we have a trade able piece. I'm no genius, but putting all your eggs in one basket (hoping the young goalies excell) was almost like trying to win a lottery. They have a good young forward core, decent D the weakest link has been inconsistent goal keeping. Sign a Mason or a Condor, MFA, Elliot who ever.

I usually don't post, but my daughter and I were have a conversation about the team she likes the Canucks. And I think they are a badly managed team, but they have always had above avg keeper tandems.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
All the more reason to go for Halak....he has won over 200 games inthe league and most goalies being talked about haven't even played half of that. Halak is only signed for one more year. If Helle shows promise, let Halak go. If he doesn't, let Comrie show what he can do. We can't wait to see if Helle is going to pan out. We need goaltending now and if Helle shines, play him. If Halak shines, play him. Not that hard to figure out. He was sent down and played like a pro and had an over .930 sv%..

This for sure. The only shame is we could've claimed him on waivers early in the season and probably had a better run but ya, he's the best value proposition / potential out there to carry Helle through.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Back in 2013, the Jets were reported to be interested in Finnish goalie Antti Raanta. I would think their interest would only be increased, based on his play in the NHL.

If Vegas selects Raanta, I would think he would be a short-term move, with only a year left in his deal until being a UFA.

If i were Chevy, a trade for Raanta would be a priority for the off-season. He's 27. One year left at $1 million. He's a very inexpensive option to share duties with Hellebuyck, but if he comes in and is a true number #1, they can try to sign him to a long-term deal. He's still young.

He's my guy, ahead of Darling, Halak, Elliot, Fleury or Bishop.

D1G

Apr 13, 2017
Winnipeg Manitoba
Back in 2013, the Jets were reported to be interested in Finnish goalie Antti Raanta. I would think their interest would only be increased, based on his play in the NHL.

If Vegas selects Raanta, I would think he would be a short-term move, with only a year left in his deal until being a UFA.

If i were Chevy, a trade for Raanta would be a priority for the off-season. He's 27. One year left at $1 million. He's a very inexpensive option to share duties with Hellebuyck, but if he comes in and is a true number #1, they can try to sign him to a long-term deal. He's still young.

As I said before a cheaper goalie only benifits us if we spend the money we save elsewhere. Which we won't. So a cheap goalie only benifits chipman. We need a real starter. And you get what you pay for

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
As I said before a cheaper goalie only benifits us if we spend the money we save elsewhere. Which we won't. So a cheap goalie only benifits chipman. We need a real starter. And you get what you pay for

I think Raanta can be that starter, and we'd have to pay for that 'real starter' in 2018/19 and beyond.

But if he doesn't work out in Winnipeg, next year, his contract isn't crushing. Its a show me situation which works well too.

It's also hard to argue his isn't a starter based on his work this season when King Henrik was struggling. The guy deserves a chance to be a number 1 and carry a team in the playoffs, imo.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

For my first choice I would rather have someone a lot more proven than Raanta. His short term, cheap contract has its advantages though. As a competitor for Helle he would be good.

I'd certainly be more comfortable going into next season with him in the fold. But .... he only has 92 NHL games, just 10 more than Helle, 7 fewer than Hutch. He is a year older than Hutch, 4 older than Helle. What's he been doing all this time?

Even the contract is a 2 edged sword. If he plays well he is going to want to be paid. This would be his last chance. He will be going into his 29 YO season.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
For my first choice I would rather have someone a lot more proven than Raanta. His short term, cheap contract has its advantages though. As a competitor for Helle he would be good.

I'd certainly be more comfortable going into next season with him in the fold. But .... he only has 92 NHL games, just 10 more than Helle, 7 fewer than Hutch. He is a year older than Hutch, 4 older than Helle. What's he been doing all this time?

Even the contract is a 2 edged sword. If he plays well he is going to want to be paid. This would be his last chance. He will be going into his 29 YO season.

Playing in Finland?

Then has backed up Crawford and Lundqvist, two proven #1 tenders.

Having a Raanta and Helle tandem next year could be very nice for the Jets.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
exactly. The other thing is that the available "starters" might have worse numbers than the available backups!

The only backup to starter story I'd be interested in is Darling. Problem is that he most likely is on everyone who needs a goalies radar.

The Jets list should really be more of a "Based on money" list

Bishop (if he'd do 3.5M a year or less)
Darling(if he'd do 3M a year or less)
Rannta/Grubauer/MAF (if it could be done after expansion draft for say a petan + mid Pick)
Condon/Kinkaid/Nillson (2M or less per)

Realistically this list doesnt start until Rannta Grubauer because Bishop and Darling are sure to have at least a few suitors who are going to pony up 5M+

Wasn't Bishop a Vezina finalist two or three times? How many Vezinas do we have Hellebuyck getting nominated for? Hellebuyck still has a good shot at becoming a top tier goalie in this league, but I expect there to be some pain and inconsistency and maybe even several years before that happens. And there is still some probability that he doesn't become anything beyond a backup.

There is always risk in any contract and any one of these guys can flame out, but I would bet more money on a Bishop rebound than any of the others putting up .920 over 60 games. If we aren't willing to offer Bishop or anyone else $5M for 3 or 4 years, then we arent really serious about fixing goaltending.

This dilemma is further proof that we should have dealt with the Pavelec situation years ago. We could have tried and tested several cheaper/promising goalies on short term deals but now we are stuck trying to hit a home run with one at bat.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
This for sure. The only shame is we could've claimed him on waivers early in the season and probably had a better run but ya, he's the best value proposition / potential out there to carry Helle through.

That the Jets could have had him via waivers and didn't put a claim in probably indicates that among other reasons the persistent stories about him not being liked by his team mates and a bad locker room guy played an integral part.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Unless you come in with all the teams looking for goalies at 6x6 bishops agent isnt taking the call. Darling less money probably same term. I think jets still like helle to much to sign anybody to a long contract like that. Look for perhaps a 2nd tier goalie not a starter but a career backup for them to sign as a free agent. The good goalies will Command 5 year minumum with almost half the league looking for goalies. Trade is their best option this way you can get a quality starter for 2 or 3 years what ever they decide is best option.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Unless you come in with all the teams looking for goalies at 6x6 bishops agent isnt taking the call. Darling less money probably same term. I think jets still like helle to much to sign anybody to a long contract like that. Look for perhaps a 2nd tier goalie not a starter but a career backup for them to sign as a free agent. The good goalies will Command 5 year minumum with almost half the league looking for goalies. Trade is their best option this way you can get a quality starter for 2 or 3 years what ever they decide is best option.

I can see Bishop ending up in Calgary. Darling could probably be ours if we offered him around what Pavelec's deal was. Chevy might not want to take that risk though. I bet he goes to Carolina or Philly.

Trading for Raanta is a really feasible one. We know Jets liked Raanta when he came over. Rangers GM is good he's not gonna give him up for nothing. So we'll have to ate up. But not having to pay him until he proves he's a number one is a huge deal for us. Chance they lose him for nothing though so if we make it worth their while. Chance Vegas will want a Rangers skater. Rangers are deep and there will be Fleury available in all likelihood.

Elliot is probably a good fit as well. Wouldn't have to give him more than 2 years. He has more good games than bad but he's nothing more than a good platoon 1B.

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
Will he? What makes you think so? Are you sure enough to want to bet another season on it?

Get a starter. Hellebuyck can be the starter when he takes the job away from him.

Nilsson has played fewer games than Hutch and has a lower career sv%.

I'm not interested in Bishop or MAF. I'm expecting them to get both too much money and too much term. I like Bernier and Mason. If we can't get either of them then we are left with the less proven goalies who need a chance to compete for a #1 spot, Darling and Grubauer.

I'm sick and tired of inadequate goaltending holding us back year after year. Its time to stop icing a second rate team. We are supposed to be in the NHL. Lets get in the game.

Absolutely he will be... games he won I think he had a .94 sv% or something close to that.
He was hung out to dry a few times, our Defense was decimated part of the year, Trouba missed first part of the season, Myers was out, Ensrom missed , Buff tried to do too much a lot of the times, our rookie forwards were trying to get better defensively, We had Mark Stuart in the line up( nuff said, the guy is a pylon) .

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Can't help watching the playoffs thinking of potential moves that could have happened to acquire one of talbot or Andersen

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
All the more reason to go for Halak....he has won over 200 games inthe league and most goalies being talked about haven't even played half of that. Halak is only signed for one more year. If Helle shows promise, let Halak go. If he doesn't, let Comrie show what he can do. We can't wait to see if Helle is going to pan out. We need goaltending now and if Helle shines, play him. If Halak shines, play him. Not that hard to figure out. He was sent down and played like a pro and had an over .930 sv% until his last couple gamed down but still posted a .925 in 27 games. He had a .915 with the Isles this year and is a career .917.
Get the Isles to retain 1.5m of his 4.5m contract and send them Hutch and a 3rd in 2018 or a 4th in 2017. We pay Halak 3m and don't have to pay Hutch his 1.15m.
This time next year, Comrie is either ready to step into a backup role or his future won't look to bright. I think he is our starter of the future and would love to see him blow the doors off at TC.

I think the Halak idea is the best one. Any FA goalie we're going to be stuck long term. Other than Bishop I wouldn't want to go long term with what appear to be gambles, ie Darling.

Let Halak play and mentor Helle. Give Helle a fair number of game. The following year you have Comrie and Helle. We have a goalie like Halak that can take us to the playoffs, and we see if Helle get quite a few games in as backup and see if he can be the number one the following year.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Carey Price for a 2017 1st, Roslovic and Blake Wheeler. Might as well go for the best.

It would be nice to have Price, but this team isn't trading it's Captain for a goalie, especially with the absolute glut of available goalies this summer.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

Raanta and Grubauer are my top 2. Although I would still take a swing at getting Bishop.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Playing in Finland?

Then has backed up Crawford and Lundqvist, two proven #1 tenders.

Having a Raanta and Helle tandem next year could be very nice for the Jets.

Yes it could. Or not.

I would be more than happy if Chevy got him for a reasonable price. But he is far from a guaranteed starter. I don't want another shot in the dark next year. I want a real starter.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Raanta and Grubauer are my top 2. Although I would still take a swing at getting Bishop.

Any of those three, I agree. Bishop still seems a little too rich (and probably long-term) for what we really need, but then maybe just maybe Helle will never prove to be a # 1.

Still banking on Helle doing it down the road, however. Just needs to get some help behind (decent back up) & in front of him (decimated & uninterested defence except for Trouba & Morrissey) & just needs to get comfortable in his role.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Absolutely he will be... games he won I think he had a .94 sv% or something close to that.
He was hung out to dry a few times, our Defense was decimated part of the year, Trouba missed first part of the season, Myers was out, Ensrom missed , Buff tried to do too much a lot of the times, our rookie forwards were trying to get better defensively, We had Mark Stuart in the line up( nuff said, the guy is a pylon) .

Absolutely? You can't say 'absolutely' that Price will be good next year.

Yes, he was hung out to dry a few times. So was Hutch. Our defense was decimated during the part of the season he played better. When Trouba was holding out we had Myers.

So all of Hellebuyck's problems were on our defense? The answer to my question is yes, you are prepared to bet another season on it.

Hellebuyck may bounce back next year. He may be lights out. Or he may just be a solid starter. Or he may be the worst starter in the league. He hasn't proven a thing at the NHL level yet. I don't want to take that chance. I've completely run out of patience with our goaltending. Enough is enough. Get a real starter. One who has already succeeded somewhere.

Last edited:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Step 1) Fire Flaherty
Step 2) Sign the best combination of goalie skill/money/term you can afford.
Step 3) ????
Step 4) PLAYOFFS!

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016

Yes, he was hung out to dry a few times. So was Hutch. Our defense was decimated during the part of the season he played better. When Trouba was holding out we had Myers.

So all of Hellebuyck's problems were on our defense? The answer to my question is yes, you are prepared to bet another season on it.

Hellebuyck may bounce back next year. He may be lights out. Or he may just be a solid starter. Or he may be the worst starter in the league. He hasn't proven a thing at the NHL level yet. I don't want to take that chance. I've completely run out of patience with our goaltending. Enough is enough. Get a real starter. One who has already succeeded somewhere.

Like you said "you can't say absolutely"
You say get "a real starter" which is contradictory to "absolutely " because as you say Price isn't absolute next year so your real starter may not be absolute next year either.
There is no way we should sign a vet who is gonna cost 4-5mil per year, and if we get a starter for the 2-3mil per instead , I would wager Helly will be as good if not better. If antything we need a Vet backup not a vet replacement.
Our biggest focus this year should be to sign Trouba at 8x8.
2nd priority is a mid level LH def
Last We should grab a cheap backup Netminder
Get rid of a combo of Dano/Petan/Enstrom to Vegas for DeHaan at XD?
Continue drafting and developing.
This year Valimaki in the first and Anderson-Dolan in the second!!!
Set

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb

If it was that easy, every team would have good goaltending. We may not be able to entice a good UFA to come here. We may not be able to come to terms on a trade for one. We may sign a good UFA and he turns out to be a dud for us, and then we're stuck with another Pavelec situation for however many years. I hate to be a pessimist,(lie)but the chances of a bad outcome are greater than a favorable one.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
They were talking the other day Brodeur was working with Allen when he turned it around. How come we can't get a guy like Brodeur or someone with skill and/or a track record to coach our goales. All we have is a goalie who was below average and now a terrible track record as a goalie coach.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Step 1) Fire Flaherty
Step 2) Sign the best combination of goalie skill/money/term you can afford.
Step 3) ????
Step 4) PLAYOFFS!

Just to be clear, you're firing Flaherty based on a hunch, right? Or do you know something about his actual performance that I don't?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad