Speculation: Jets FA/Trade goalie options

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
With Comrie needing waivers after next season, It's hard to predict what the Jets will do. It's either 1 of Helly and Comrie, or both, going forward.

It's always nice to draft your own goalies, but the draft and develop model doesn't really apply. I hope the Jets figure that out.

All the more reason to go for Halak....he has won over 200 games inthe league and most goalies being talked about haven't even played half of that. Halak is only signed for one more year. If Helle shows promise, let Halak go. If he doesn't, let Comrie show what he can do. We can't wait to see if Helle is going to pan out. We need goaltending now and if Helle shines, play him. If Halak shines, play him. Not that hard to figure out. He was sent down and played like a pro and had an over .930 sv% until his last couple gamed down but still posted a .925 in 27 games. He had a .915 with the Isles this year and is a career .917.
Get the Isles to retain 1.5m of his 4.5m contract and send them Hutch and a 3rd in 2018 or a 4th in 2017. We pay Halak 3m and don't have to pay Hutch his 1.15m.
This time next year, Comrie is either ready to step into a backup role or his future won't look to bright. I think he is our starter of the future and would love to see him blow the doors off at TC.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I cant argue with you about him possible being pouty but if jets decide to get him or maf it would not be to have a competition for the starters role it would be to be the starter and helle to be backup. any top level fa agent signing or goalie waiving his nmc wont do it unless they have the starters job. chevy could sign a lower tier back up goalie to have a competition but I think that would be a mistake. they need a starter with helle backing up.

i agree, however it seems like most will view that as giving up on helle. to much babying for a guy who hasnt accomplished anything in the nhl. if howard/maf/etc are leaps and bounds better and help the jets win, play em. who cares about helle's feelings

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Isn't Bernier the one that has an actress wife who would only play in the west coast? Doubt he'd come to Winnipeg.

My preference would be:
Darling
Raanta
Halak

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
i agree, however it seems like most will view that as giving up on helle. to much babying for a guy who hasnt accomplished anything in the nhl. if howard/maf/etc are leaps and bounds better and help the jets win, play em. who cares about helle's feelings

It's not about feelings, it's about what gives the team the best chance of having an elite goalie in two years.

Hellebuyck has a better chance of being that than Fleury or Howard, in my opinion.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
It's not about feelings, it's about what gives the team the best chance of having an elite goalie in two years.

Hellebuyck has a better chance of being that than Fleury or Howard, in my opinion.

I think that ship has sailed.in terms of if they get a bona fide starter helle will be back up for awhile.

JBM

Feb 1, 2017
Canada
With Rinne playing so good maybe Saros asks for an opportunity somewhere else. I'd love to have him

JBM

Feb 1, 2017
Canada
All the more reason to go for Halak....he has won over 200 games inthe league and most goalies being talked about haven't even played half of that. Halak is only signed for one more year. If Helle shows promise, let Halak go. If he doesn't, let Comrie show what he can do. We can't wait to see if Helle is going to pan out. We need goaltending now and if Helle shines, play him. If Halak shines, play him. Not that hard to figure out. He was sent down and played like a pro and had an over .930 sv% until his last couple gamed down but still posted a .925 in 27 games. He had a .915 with the Isles this year and is a career .917.
Get the Isles to retain 1.5m of his 4.5m contract and send them Hutch and a 3rd in 2018 or a 4th in 2017. We pay Halak 3m and don't have to pay Hutch his 1.15m.
This time next year, Comrie is either ready to step into a backup role or his future won't look to bright. I think he is our starter of the future and would love to see him blow the doors off at TC.

I could see that working. Who know, maybe the less games played for Helly and some competition could do him some good. Halak is also an older goalie and could mentor Helly too.

There are many options for us to get a new goalie. Let's hope management makes solid move.

Last edited:

civic204

Jun 1, 2012
Isn't Bernier the one that has an actress wife who would only play in the west coast? Doubt he'd come to Winnipeg.

My preference would be:
Darling
Raanta
Halak

This is my list as well. Raanta is a tough one, he has one year on his deal at 1mil. We would have to trade for him from the Rangers, or maybe Vegas. But why would they want to trade him?

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan

My preference would be:
Darling
Raanta
Halak

That's Miller. Berniers wife is a model from Montreal. She did cause some "controversy" when he played in Toronto when she covered up a Leafs logo on her baby's onsie on instagram and replied that she couldn't say why to a comment. Toronto media went into some wild speculation ofcourse. The actual reason was she was filming for some TV show at home that day and the show couldn't show the logo.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I think that ship has sailed.in terms of if they get a bona fide starter helle will be back up for awhile.

Sure, if they can get a true, top-end starter.

But we're not talking about top end starters. We're talking about guys who have already lost their starting jobs to younger goalies. In some cases, younger goalies with a less impressive track record than Hellebuyck.

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
Sure, if they can get a true, top-end starter.

But we're not talking about top end starters. We're talking about guys who have already lost their starting jobs to younger goalies. In some cases, younger goalies with a less impressive track record than Hellebuyck.

exactly. The other thing is that the available "starters" might have worse numbers than the available backups!

The only backup to starter story I'd be interested in is Darling. Problem is that he most likely is on everyone who needs a goalies radar.

The Jets list should really be more of a "Based on money" list

Bishop (if he'd do 3.5M a year or less)
Darling(if he'd do 3M a year or less)
Rannta/Grubauer/MAF (if it could be done after expansion draft for say a petan + mid Pick)
Condon/Kinkaid/Nillson (2M or less per)

Realistically this list doesnt start until Rannta Grubauer because Bishop and Darling are sure to have at least a few suitors who are going to pony up 5M+

JBM

Feb 1, 2017
Canada
Last edited:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Raanta and Darling haven't even played 100 games in the NHL yet. We need someone with more experience.

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
I'm interested in:

MAF
Darling
Bernier
Halak

Darling is the highest risk in my opinion.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Stay the course with Hellebuyck. They guy is going to be pretty good so no need to bring someone else in. Comrie will eventually be his back up and who knows, perhaps that may switch one day. Personally I like where we are at and didn't expect off-the-chart numbers from a rookie goalie and an average back up in Hutch

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Stay the course with Hellebuyck. They guy is going to be pretty good so no need to bring someone else in. Comrie will eventually be his back up and who knows, perhaps that may switch one day. Personally I like where we are at and didn't expect off-the-chart numbers from a rookie goalie and an average back up in Hutch

Seriously?

We all think Hellebuyck is going to be "pretty good", but he certainly hasn't proven it yet. Hutch was terrible, can't bring him back. Comrie is even younger than Hellebuyck, and is years away from being an NHL starter.

TheGovernment

Jan 13, 2012
I still say Halak is our best bet. Short contract that could be dumped if he doesn't do well next year and extension is he does.

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
http://www.thesportster.com/hockey/15-khl-players-and-the-nhl-team-that-might-want-them/

Any chance the Jets pursue a goalie from the KHL?

I know these goalies were standouts in their league but I'm a bit sceptical it would translate to the NHL.
I don't think this would be the best direction to go but could be a worse case scenario.

The two I'd be interested from this article is Emil Garipov or Alexander Yeryomenko

I don't think there's much of a chance that a KHL goalie will be pursued by the Jets, unless all other options have evaporated. They need to pursue a goalie with significant NHL experience. Perhaps a KHL goalie could be signed for the purpose of playing on the Moose with Comrie.

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
Carey Price for a 2017 1st, Roslovic and Blake Wheeler. Might as well go for the best.

This is withdrawn as I didn't realize he's a UFA in 1 year.

Last edited:

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

This would be excellent actually

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
Seriously?

We all think Hellebuyck is going to be "pretty good", but he certainly hasn't proven it yet. Hutch was terrible, can't bring him back. Comrie is even younger than Hellebuyck, and is years away from being an NHL starter.

Hellebuyck will be just fine. At the beginning of the season I had the Jets with a zero chance of making playoffs due to the youth movement. It takes sometime for these players to learn the game but more importantly learn each other's game and gel consistently. Management had the same opinion, which is why they went all in with rookies in net as well....might as well gel together and get the learning year over with in one shot instead of spreading it over a couple or more seasons. I think we keep Helly as our starter but find a vet backup not a vet starter. Nilson would be my guy

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Howard should be nearly free to acquire and his cap hit isn't a problem for the Jets since it's only 2 more years. He's better than any of the goalies in this thread aside from MAF and Bishop, both of whom would be much harder to acquire.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Hellebuyck will be just fine. At the beginning of the season I had the Jets with a zero chance of making playoffs due to the youth movement. It takes sometime for these players to learn the game but more importantly learn each other's game and gel consistently. Management had the same opinion, which is why they went all in with rookies in net as well....might as well gel together and get the learning year over with in one shot instead of spreading it over a couple or more seasons. I think we keep Helly as our starter but find a vet backup not a vet starter. Nilson would be my guy

Will he? What makes you think so? Are you sure enough to want to bet another season on it?

Get a starter. Hellebuyck can be the starter when he takes the job away from him.

Nilsson has played fewer games than Hutch and has a lower career sv%.

I'm not interested in Bishop or MAF. I'm expecting them to get both too much money and too much term. I like Bernier and Mason. If we can't get either of them then we are left with the less proven goalies who need a chance to compete for a #1 spot, Darling and Grubauer.

I'm sick and tired of inadequate goaltending holding us back year after year. Its time to stop icing a second rate team. We are supposed to be in the NHL. Lets get in the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad