Speculation: Jets FA/Trade goalie options

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I think a third for negotiating rights is very steep. i would have been interested in Darling, but not that much!

They don't care if they lose either of their current goalies and we do...different situations.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If Chevy wants to keep his job he's going to have to make some bold moves.

Sure but not dumb ones. The Jets aren't going to trade for a goalie prior to the expansion draft and then risk losing Helle or the one they acquired. There will be a tonne of opportunity and options to grab a decent goalie at any point this offseason. There are always good ones available.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Didn't Nash get a third from Buffalo for negotiating rights with Vesey? Maybe there were a few teams inquiring to CHI on getting his rights thus inflating the price

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'd be ok with Bernier but I'd worry if the pressure of being a starter in a Canadian market would get to him. He pretty much melted down in Toronto. I'm not sure he's a legit starter or just a real good backup. With regards to Elliot his recent history as a startwr is better. Also if we are to hold his last season against him then we should also hold them against Bishop, MAF, Mason and Halak against them as well. There really isn't a can't miss option on the table. Most are aging, many have had a strong of excellent years with a down year here and there.

He had 1 bad season. Every goalie has at least 1. And that 1 was still better than what we usually get. The pressure in Winnipeg is maybe 1/10 of what it is in Toronto.

Elliott's recent history is not better. Recent history is last season. I am holding last season against Bishop, MAF and Mason, that's why I want Bernier.:laugh: Halak was waived last year but still posted .915. Pretty sure he won't be available unless it is from VGK.

I agree, there is no sure thing. Elliott might turn out better than Bernier. I like Bernier's age a lot better because I am looking for a starter not a stopgap.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Bernier was better than Elliot last year, but worse the two previous seasons. Then they were back and forth before that. True that Bernier's career sv% is slightly better. But I think if you summed up more recent seasons (say 3 or 5 year averages), Elliot comes out on top.

By the numbers, Bernier doesn't strike me as any better than Elliot.

Maybe, but he's 3.5 years younger.

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
Canes acquired darling's rights

Can someone please help me understand the expansion draft rules?

1 - Don't the Canes have to protect Ward because he has a NMC clause?

2 - Do the Golden Knights have some sort of exclusive 2(?)-day window to negotiate with all pending free agents?

This deal the Canes made for Darling's rights confuses me, so there's something I've missed in the Canes logic in acquiring Darling, unless this gives them time to negotiate terms, then sign him after the Golden Knights have been unable to sign him - at least I assume that's what the Canes are hoping for. :confused:

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Can someone please help me understand the expansion draft rules?

1 - Don't the Canes have to protect Ward because he has a NMC clause?

2 - Do the Golden Knights have some sort of exclusive 2(?)-day window to negotiate with all pending free agents?

This deal the Canes made for Darling's rights confuses me, so there's something I've missed in the Canes logic in acquiring Darling, unless this gives them time to negotiate terms, then sign him after the Golden Knights have been unable to sign him - at least I assume that's what the Canes are hoping for. :confused:

Iirc, he has a NTC, so he doesn't need to be protected. Both Ward and Lack can be exposed.

And yes, before the expansion draft the Knights have the exclusive opportunity to sign pending UFA's. So if Carolina hasn't signed Darling by then Vegas will be allowed to try. If they can't come to terms before that window ends, they have to wait until July 1 to try again at any UFA's like the rest of the teams, while Carolina can still try and sign him.

It was mentioned on here, and not sure if it is the case, but if Vegas signs Darling during their exclusive FA window, that might count as Carolina's player taken.

As it says in the rules for this exp draft :

We now know that the Golden Knights are expected to enter the NHL with exclusive free agency perks.

The team is expected to have an exclusive negotiating window with free agents during the expansion draft - that could potentially be 48 hrs. This would mean that before other teams can begin scooping up existing NHL players, Vegas would have the opportunity to get a head start.

During this two-day stretch, the only team that would be allowed to sign active NHL players is the Golden Knights.

The only catch is that if Vegas signed a player who most recently played for Team X, the Golden Knights would no longer be able to select a player from Team X in the Expansion Draft.

Now, Darling didn't play for them, but technically he's a Hurricane, so I assume he'd still count as their player taken.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
Just a random thought: Vegas is in a weird spot. If I were GM of Vegas, I'd rather NOT get a great veteran goalie that's going to steal me wins (e.g. Bishop, Fleury, etc.). I'd want to load up on futures at the expense of the present in order to ensure 3 years or so of top 5 draft picks. How else will they get elite scoring talent? Nothing will set them up for 10+ years of mediocrity like having an above average starter right out of the gate.

In that context, maybe they should go with Pavs or Hutch. :)

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
Just a random thought: Vegas is in a weird spot. If I were GM of Vegas, I'd rather NOT get a great veteran goalie that's going to steal me wins (e.g. Bishop, Fleury, etc.). I'd want to load up on futures at the expense of the present in order to ensure 3 years or so of top 5 draft picks. How else will they get elite scoring talent? Nothing will set them up for 10+ years of mediocrity like having an above average starter right out of the gate.

That would be the smartest course of action but at the same time Vegas is a new franchise in a non traditional market, if they don't have success early on the support will fall quickly. Especially with the Raiders coming in a few years. Wouldn't be the case if the team was in Quebec but Vegas will have to put together a good team to stay relevant.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada

Vegas wants to hit the ground running - they are an expansion team in a non traditional hockey market staring down NFL relocation, possible MLB relocation and the NBA is now also showing interest in the market not to mention MLS.

Las Vegas needs butts in the seats and corporate sponsors. LV is a tenant in someone else's buildng, they don't have the non hockey revenue streams some teams do and have no government subsidies. This franchise needs wins before the Raiders and other teams invade LV.

Question: What kind of team do you envision fielding?
Answer: I expect us to be competitive quickly. I don’t mean win the Stanley Cup in our first year. But I think with the way the (expansion) draft is going to be set up, we’re going to have a unique opportunity to draft some really good players who can play right away. We’re going to have great goaltending. We’re going to have a very solid group of defensemen, and I believe we’ll get enough scoring to give us a chance to win. I don’t see us taking a lot of older guys who are at the end of their careers. I’d like to see us get a solid nucleus of young players and be able to keep them together and grow together.

If the Kings don't move Bishop ala the Darling trade I expect LV to make a big splash and sign Bishop prior to the expansion draft.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sport...ill-foley-opens-up-in-a-wide-ranging-sitdown/

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
That would be the smartest course of action but at the same time Vegas is a new franchise in a non traditional market, if they don't have success early on the support will fall quickly. Especially with the Raiders coming in a few years. Wouldn't be the case if the team was in Quebec but Vegas will have to put together a good team to stay relevant.

Certainly I agree that there will be pressure for wins right out of the gate. Puts McPhee in a tough spot.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014

Doesn't Vegas have a guarantee of third or fourth pre-lottery seeding in the next two or three drafts regardless of where they finish the season, per expansion rules? If so, they won't need to tank to get a good draft spot. They slid three places this year but that's unlikely to repeat in their two or three remaining guarantee years.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
Doesn't Vegas have a guarantee of third or fourth pre-lottery seeding in the next two or three drafts regardless of where they finish the season, per expansion rules? If so, they won't need to tank to get a good draft spot. They slid three places this year but that's unlikely to repeat in their two or three remaining guarantee years.

If this is true, it's the first I've heard of it. I thought their position was only predetermined this year...

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Just a random thought: Vegas is in a weird spot. If I were GM of Vegas, I'd rather NOT get a great veteran goalie that's going to steal me wins (e.g. Bishop, Fleury, etc.). I'd want to load up on futures at the expense of the present in order to ensure 3 years or so of top 5 draft picks. How else will they get elite scoring talent?

Sign free agents who want to live in Las Vegas as rich, but anonymous, athletes.

If you're moving into a market like that, can you really endure several seasons of poor teams, especially when the NFL is about to steal your thunder?

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
If this is true, it's the first I've heard of it. I thought their position was only predetermined this year...

It was reported early in the process but any recent or official information about it is hard to come by. My understanding was that they had three years of guaranteed lottery odds equal to the third best odds.

That would obviously drastically change how they're going to operate out of the gate so you'd expect it on the record a little better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad