Pre-Game Talk: Jets @ Ducks • Tue, Oct 29 @ 9:00 pm CT • TSN3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
glad to see connor back with scheifele and wheeler they look horrible without him.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Have you been watching the Moose? People I know that go to Moose games say that Luoto and Chibisov have not played well.

I don't care who is younger. I care who is the best player to step in and play the best because the call up will be in the line-up tomorrow.
Shaw has a ton of NHL minutes over a number of seasons and is bad every time he’s ever been called up. Guys like him who produce in the AHL at age 27 are omnipresent and rarely, if ever do they amount to even a league average NHL guy. So while I haven’t watched a minute of the Moose this season, it’s hard for me to imagine that Shaw is a better option than even someone like Seuss who they at least gave an extended look to in the preseason.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
We saw ESL and CLW in the previous game and they looked damn good.

I expect you are right about those numbers but they are gibberish to me.

Feel like the "prorated" is there for extra authority. Could also have gone with "amortized."

If Laine is banged up after his Sbisalypse then LSE can't happen, so CSW makes sense, whatever the mythical numbers. Would rather see Seuss or Spacek or Luoto, but Shaw is a big body, looked respectable in the preseason, likely takes Lowry's place?

What's going with Heinola?

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Obviously, don`t know what the numbers reflect . Maurice doesn`t even provide context -except a lower number is clearly worse. If I were to guess, they may be related directly to actual time spent in the offensive zone but....? Maurice does put an inordinate amount of weight on this for some reason,even though there is no clear correlation to better team success. Of course, if we`re in the offensive zone, we can`t be scored against :sarcasm:.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Well, top 6 is back to that definition of insanity.

Hey, you never know -
Maybe the new and improved Ehlers / Laine will make that combination work - won't hurt to take a look at it considering nothing in the top 6 is currently tearing up the league.

Reactions: Howard Chuck

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Obviously, don`t know what the numbers reflect . Maurice doesn`t even provide context -except a lower number is clearly worse. If I were to guess, they may be related directly to actual time spent in the offensive zone but....? Maurice does put an inordinate amount of weight on this for some reason,even though there is no clear correlation to better team success. Of course, if we`re in the offensive zone, we can`t be scored against :sarcasm:.

It looks like total goals for numbers over the season. Two years ago we had 273, last season we had 270, this season if you extrapolate we're on pace for 205.

@Mortimer Snerd
@Board Bard

Last edited:

folix

Jul 24, 2011
glad to see connor back with scheifele and wheeler they look horrible without him.

They didnt look that good WITH him, but nice to see were back at it full POMO style right back to the line up that was awful for 70% of all last year.

Reactions: Mbraunm

None

Feb 22, 2012
This is correct, and quite honestly depressing

Feels like a 'missing the forest for the trees' moment when those numbers are put in context.

Have the lines been changed enough for long enough periods of time in those 3 seasons to draw any real conclusions from those totals?
3 years is a long time in pro sports, young players gain experience and their games change as a result and older players can slow down quite a bit in that time.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Hey, you never know -
Maybe the new and improved Ehlers / Laine will make that combination work - won't hurt to take a look at it considering nothing in the top 6 is currently tearing up the league.
That is my hope actually. Both are better this year, so who knows?

Reactions: LowLefty

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
"...putting Kyle back with Mark and Blake for tomorrow?"

"We did in the last period last game and umm... We put up some offense and our pace picked up. Everybody knows the numbers we've gone from 277 to about 270, we're prorated at about 205 this year so... I haven't done it, I haven't put that line together yet this season. We are not generating with those six players as much as we'd like so we'll give it a run... There's nothing going to be permanent, but umm... Patrik not at a 100% and we'll watch his minutes a little bit"

Everybody knows... I'm guessing they are numbers that "prove" that ELL and CSW is the way to go. Someone needs to tell Maurice that CSW was together for 2 minutes last game.

Maybe it's zone time.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
Don't we need another forward recalled if Laine can't go? My god no Lowry and no Laine would be rough.

Ehlers-Scheifele- Wheeler
Connor- Little- Roslo
Perreault- Copp- Borque
God knows what

that is of course Maurice logic. Many better things you could do. But either way thats a rough forward group to match our defence

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Maybe, would prefer to see the new improved Laine/Ehlers work with Scheifele.
Yeah... why should the default move be try an improved player with a line that hasn’t previously worked so you can have a first line that also doesn’t work? Especially when the alternative is two lines that historically do work.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Don't we need another forward recalled if Laine can't go? My god no Lowry and no Laine would be rough.

Ehlers-Scheifele- Wheeler
Connor- Little- Roslo
Perreault- Copp- Borque
God knows what

that is of course Maurice logic. Many better things you could do. But either way thats a rough forward group to match our defence
Maurice will play conc’d Letestu instead of any other potential call up.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Yeah... why should the default move be try an improved player with a line that hasn’t previously worked so you can have a first line that also doesn’t work? Especially when the alternative is two lines that historically do work.

The answer is really not that difficult - try a few combo's until they find something that works.
This is not a default move - the top 6 has been shuffled a few times already and we are not scoring - so keep trying.

Many have held Mo accountable for not making moves when things don't appear to be working -
Things don't appear to be working - give it a shot and see how it goes before assuming it won't work based on the "history" of players that are better now than they were then.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It looks like total goals for numbers over the season. Two years ago we had 273, last season we had 270, this season if you extrapolate we're on pace for 205.

@Mortimer Snerd
@Board Bard
The problem with that logic is that players like Laine and Ehlers have produced more than their share, its players like Wheeler and Connor who haven't, so rewarding them with top line time for that is strange.

The other issue is that Wheeler's completely forgotten how to run the PP and now seems to just try to snipe it with his awful shot.

If there's one change that's needed it's demoting Wheeler to the 3rd line and promoting Roslovic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad