GDT: Jets @ Draft Lottery • Sat Apr 30, 7PM [Jets win 2nd overall!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
As a Finn, Leo Komarov really liked Winnipeg because it reminded him of home, which was Finland.

This is a pretty perfect scenario for you guys.

I have to agree. Leafs get their franchise centre and the Jets get their franchise winger. I couldn't be happier getting the second overall after people complained that we missed out on draft position due to winning a few games at the end of the season. It's so fitting that it's a Fin too, couldn't be more perfect.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
It would start with their first next season unprotected. We would also need their second this year. A significant cost controlled roster player would also be needed. Maybe that's not even enough.

But I can't imagine the Jets trading this "BIG" draft pick TBH

Ya, if oil had this pick, Jones werenski or Murray to start for the pick would've made more sense for cbj but I like cbj the way they're lookin now anyway, adding werenski and pulju

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
@ps241, it's hard not to be excited about last night's result. It guarantees that the Jets will have someone who can jump into the lineup right away and contribute. It also creates very meaningful competition at the bottom of the roster, and (fingers crossed) squeezes bad players like Thorburn through the trickle down effect.

I think it's a bit premature to call this a franchise-changing result, but at minimum it's a catalyst to speed things up.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
My only worry right now (except for the Matthews v Laine threads in the poll section) is that we've happened to luck into a situation where our team is going to lean on great wingers.

Scheifele will definitely need to keep up his impressive progression, and Trouba, Morrissey and Hellebuyck will become crucial now, cause I'm pretty sure that we won't be bad enough to get another high pick for a while.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
To me, that really isn't attractive. Saad is already making 6M. Murray isn't bad, but he also isn't all that good.

IMO Werenski would be an absolute must. But that isn't really close to getting the #2 OA.

Agreed, while both players are nice pieces I feel that the organization has done an excellent job acquiring real good depth upfront whether it be high end or bottom 6. What this team really needed was a true game breaker to help push our offense over the top so imo there is absolutely no way that we give up the 2nd overall as Laine looks to fit that bill.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
@ps241, it's hard not to be excited about last night's result. It guarantees that the Jets will have someone who can jump into the lineup right away and contribute. It also creates very meaningful competition at the bottom of the roster, and (fingers crossed) squeezes bad players like Thorburn through the trickle down effect.

I think it's a bit premature to call this a franchise-changing result, but at minimum it's a catalyst to speed things up.

Solid point. A few years ago everyone wanted to "fail for Nail."

I think the Jets have a real solid track record of developing the elite talents they've picked (55, 8, 27) so it's hard to not be excited.

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
I have to agree. Leafs get their franchise centre and the Jets get their franchise winger. I couldn't be happier getting the second overall after people complained that we missed out on draft position due to winning a few games at the end of the season. It's so fitting that it's a Fin too, couldn't be more perfect.

It really makes me view the tank talk a bit differently. I mean Canucks fans were ecstatic on their tanking - they were pouring into the Jets board to try to talk about it - a lot of us were near depressed the Jets finally start playing great near the end of the season.

Though I always kind of wanted the Jets to win all those games (still hard to cheer against our team) I really would have preferred they lost a few more of the last stretch. I can't imagine how it must feel to be so excited for tanking, laughing at Calgary and Winnipeg's wins, only to see one of those leap frog ahead of you. Worst of both worlds.

I feel a bit bad for the Flames as they actually played hard near the end as well - like the Jets. It's a shame they got bumped back. I feel an affinity for the Flames. I think that both teams are better than our records suggest, and we both have to share Western Canada with the Oilers and Canucks :laugh:

I think the lotto may change how tanking works now - it didn't pay off really to be anywhere except dead last (guaranteed a top 4).

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
My only worry right now (except for the Matthews v Laine threads in the poll section) is that we've happened to luck into a situation where our team is going to lean on great wingers.

Scheifele will definitely need to keep up his impressive progression, and Trouba, Morrissey and Hellebuyck will become crucial now, cause I'm pretty sure that we won't be bad enough to get another high pick for a while.

Could see this team having similar results to this year, and I'm not sure that would be terrible. Team will be young (top 6 could be half 20-under) maybe take some lumps. There's a chance Pavelec could be #1. Wouldn't mind being in that lottery next year for the local kid.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

We still have Little as a real good two-way number one as well. The forgotten player in this is Petan who now could absolutely flourish playing between some of the goalscoring talent we have accumulated. I'm not worried at all about our centre depth.

There are a few more question marks around defense and goaltending but I like the talent we have at both positions. We now need Moe to get this team to play more disciplined and for him to design better special teams.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
What a day, whaaaaaat a day!

Filled with surprises!

So, top 3 Jets 2.0 moments:

3: Winning the 2nd pick in 2016 draft
2: Whiteout in 2015 playoffs
1: Portage and Main in 2011

AdamPardyHelmetThiefChicago.jpg

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Could see this team having similar results to this year, and I'm not sure that would be terrible. Team will be young (top 6 could be half 20-under) maybe take some lumps. There's a chance Pavelec could be #1. Wouldn't mind being in that lottery next year for the local kid.

I just don't see it. We would have to make the exact same mistakes as this season to finish near the bottom again. Pavelectricity, penalties galore, worst special teams in the league...

It would make me slightly upset if that were to happen.

We still have Little as a real good two-way number one as well. The forgotten player in this is Petan who now could absolutely flourish playing between some of the goalscoring talent we have accumulated. I'm not worried at all about our centre depth.

There are a few more question marks around defense and goaltending but I like the talent we have at both positions. We now need Moe to get this team to play more disciplined and for him to design better special teams.

Yeah, we definitely don't have BAD D or C, we just lack that gamebreaking center (the ilk of Auston Matthews). It'll be interesting to see though, cause I think we have a chance to have the best winger depth the league has seen in a while.

I mean, unless Wheeler regresses badly, or one of Connor/Ehlers/Laine flat out busts from this point, there isn't a realistic shot for anyone to grab a top 6 W spot on our team for a while.

I don't agree that the Laine talk has grown louder just because people want a debate around the #1 pick, but I agree that Matthews will go first.

I also think there is a definite step down after the top 2, not top 3.

IMO, it goes.

Matthews
Laine

Slight Drop

Puljujärvi

Slightly Bigger Drop

PLD

Big Drop

The three D + Tkachuk and Nylander

Whileee

May 29, 2010
A few random thoughts.

Getting such a skilled winger is much more palatable based on the emergence of Scheifele as a legit #1 big body centre.

Yes nice to slay the late win streak draggon from the end of the season.

So how about the expansion from 1 to 3 teams in the lotto this season eh!!!

Am I the only guy who over served himself a bit last night?

Am I the only guy that woke up this morning and quickly checked my phone to confirm I wasn't dreaming?

My how 24 hours change so much

Its going to be strange (in a good way) to not be worrying about who to pick at 7-8?

Holden come out come out where ever you are?

World championships just got a hell of allot more interesting.

May do I hope BPA at 22 and 36 are D men but always BPA.

Is it just me or does it seem even sunnier out today.

We are not delusional now to think we may have the young core to contend for a cup.

Glad we didn't go $6 x 6 for Ladd now.

our Cap flexibiltity is a big advantage.

We have allot of assets to make deals now.

Great post...

I'm also really stoked about what this means for the franchise.

Now it sort of seems that in 2-3 years Frolik @ $4.3M might have been a bit of overkill for the 3rd line. I'd prefer to re-sign Perreault and then have Armia, Dano or maybe even Lemieux on the 3rd line. The top two lines will presumably be set on the wing with Ehlers, Wheeler, Laine and Connor.

There are going to be a lot of offers for Laine, including some that might be very tempting. I just think that the Jets have to resist and go for what might be the next consistent 50 goal scorer. The Jets have plenty of other assets to fill out the roster, but I think a top-end talent has to be the priority in this draft.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
IMO, it goes.

Matthews
Laine

Slight Drop

Puljujärvi

Slightly Bigger Drop

PLD

Big Drop

The three D + Tkachuk and Nylander

I have it like this:

Matthews
Laine

Small Drop

Puljujärvi
PLD

Big Drop

The three D + Tkachuk

Drop

Nylander

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
This is Canada.......this is Winnipeg...... The interest will be 24-7-365 and it will amp at 10. We are nuts when it comes to all things hockey and we just co-won the lottery.

Love it, Finland is the same, great to see him go to a team that's crazy about hockey, I'm looking at those Laine playoff highlights and thinking what's it going to be like in Winnipeg during the playoffs.

To add on to this, we are an extremely passionate and knowledgeable hockey market, but we also understand that these are players with lives outside of the game, so we don't allow the two to cross pollinate. I mean, we'll ask for autographs and ask to get pictures taken if we see them, but we won't harass or harangue them about **** that happened on ice. Buff is one of the most reticent and private individuals in the league, and he re-upped with the Jets for five years. You don't do that if you're not comfortable where your privacy is.

That's also great to hear, reading about Laine I'm sure he will respect that, and he likes to keep some things private.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
Great post...

I'm also really stoked about what this means for the franchise.

Now it sort of seems that in 2-3 years Frolik @ $4.3M might have been a bit of overkill for the 3rd line. I'd prefer to re-sign Perreault and then have Armia, Dano or maybe even Lemieux on the 3rd line. The top two lines will presumably be set on the wing with Ehlers, Wheeler, Laine and Connor.

There are going to be a lot of offers for Laine, including some that might be very tempting. I just think that the Jets have to resist and go for what might be the next consistent 50 goal scorer. The Jets have plenty of other assets to fill out the roster, but I think a top-end talent has to be the priority in this draft.

The thing is, I deeply doubt this. Especially given the upcoming expansion draft.

The way the rules are shaping up, Laine will be exempt from not only a 2017 expansion draft, but also a 2018 one.

I just can't imagine an offer for #2 OA that is tempting from a talent point of view and also doesn't totally mess up the Jets expansion draft position.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
A few random thoughts.

Getting such a skilled winger is much more palatable based on the emergence of Scheifele as a legit #1 big body centre.

Yes nice to slay the late win streak draggon from the end of the season.

So how about the expansion from 1 to 3 teams in the lotto this season eh!!!

Am I the only guy who over served himself a bit last night?

Am I the only guy that woke up this morning and quickly checked my phone to confirm I wasn't dreaming?

My how 24 hours change so much

Its going to be strange (in a good way) to not be worrying about who to pick at 7-8?

Holden come out come out where ever you are?

World championships just got a hell of allot more interesting.

May do I hope BPA at 22 and 36 are D men but always BPA.

Is it just me or does it seem even sunnier out today.

We are not delusional now to think we may have the young core to contend for a cup.

Glad we didn't go $6 x 6 for Ladd now.

our Cap flexibiltity is a big advantage.

We have allot of assets to make deals now.

Karma is a beautiful thing!
Love the new lottery rules!
Stellas were flying off the shelves!
NM, where is Hammer Slammer with videos of Laine from the last 5 years! (maybe that's what he's been doing?)
Can't wait for the Worlds!
I think McAvoy slides to us!
Ladd who?!
Bring on some hockey!

McDLT

I'm a style boy for life
Mar 1, 2016
Calgary
I hurt my shoulder a little bit from fist-pumping when I saw the #6 card turn over. I somehow strained my neck from whatever celebration I did when I saw the #3 card turn over.

The Jets are going to be good, and I have a feeling that the 2016-2017 season will be full of sports-watching related injuries for me.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I hurt my shoulder a little bit from fist-pumping when I saw the #6 card turn over. I somehow strained my neck from whatever celebration I did when I saw the #3 card turn over.

The Jets are going to be good, and I have a feeling that the 2016-2017 season will be full of sports-watching related injuries for me.

That was great TV (for us anywas), wonder what the ratings for that were?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Did someone touch upon his d part of his gsme yet? Any of our new Finn friends, can u help us here?

His defensive play has developed throughout the year, and especially in the playoffs he stepped his defensive game up.
He's not a 2way winger but he's very good at stealing pucks on the bluelines, to anticipate where the pass is going or what move the player is going to make.
He won't stop playing when he doesn't have the puck, you can see him backcheck and block shots.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Congrats on the lottery Jets fans.

Looking forward to seeing how you guys do in the next few years with all this prospect wealth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad