GDT: Jets @ Draft Lottery • Sat Apr 30, 7PM [Jets win 2nd overall!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Now Chevy needs to focus on trading away some of our F prospects to help bolster our D depth. Burmy (I still consider him work in progress), Dano, Petan, Copp, Armia, Lemieux, etc. Not all of them can play and some of them will undoubtedly be busts. Now is the time we can trade the prospects we aren't keen on while maximizing whatever value they have due to perceived potential around the league.

If Edmonton was picking #3, I could definitely see a path to the Jets ending up with both Finns. However, I really can't see Columbus giving up the big Finn. They need high end forward talent and could really use a "star".

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Who else is looking forward to SN and TSN talking Leafs and Mathews for the next 2 months 24/7 :shakehead

So true...

As a Sabres fan, congrats to the Jets who were the true winner last night. I thought you guys had the best prospect pool in hockey before lasts nights lottery win.
FWIW Laine > Matthews

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Hi guys, isles fan here.

Just wanted to congratulate you on the 2nd overall lotto win. I'm really liking how your team is being built. The Hamonic threads aside, there's always been a small market bond between the two teams as well as being linked together with Barzal and Connor (poor Boston lol).

Anyway, I hope you guys draft Laine and just go on an absolute tear. I would do so many things to get that pick.

Congrats again!

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Congrats to you guys coming from a Leafs fan.
You're probably the only Canadian team I didn't mind winning the lottery and jumping ahead of us (maybe the flames too).

Laine is going to be a beast for you guys. I'd be interested to see him with Wheeler and Scheifle. The size on that would line be pretty unstoppable.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Its a great day for the Jets and Leafs but to suggest that Matthews is a Leaf and Laine is a Jet is very premature. There's going to be all kinds of wheeling and dealing going on yet. I can see scenarios where the Leafs get a center as good as Matthews plus another top pick or prospect for the first oa. As for the Jets, Laine is exactly the type of player we need but he's not wearing a Jet Jersey yet. If we ended up back around 6th with another potential 2017 lotto pick + I would be very pleased.

The "wheeling and dealing" won't really start till after the top 2-3 picks. Leafs aren't trading that pick unless a very rare scenario comes up and there is no reason we should trade our pick. Chance at a lotto pick next year? We could just as easily end up out of the top 10. It would be beyond stupid to do that. This pick accelerates our short retool immensely. We've had some very good fortune and to throw away that would be incredibly stupid with all due respect.

Of course listening to offers should happen because you never know what might come along. There's always that one guy to goes nuts.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
I am super late posting but super freaking happy as everyone else is about the results.

Wow. Just incredible. Makes how we finished even better in hindsight, and the new draft system may indeed prevent tanking (to a greater extent that previously)

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
It really helps fill the void left from last season. I'm no longer depressed about last season, it's now turned into intense optimism for next year. :yo:

Yea around the time of the track suit issue if you would have told me we are trading Kane and Ladd in the next 12 months but we will upgrade the position (potentially) by June 2016 without trading for it I would have thought you were nuts.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Awesome news

Reminiscent of Milt Stegals 100 yard TD catch win in Edm. Similar feeling

Laine will look awesome in a jets jersey

I didn't realize how big he is!

Excellent

The look on Brian Burkes face was priceless!!

If I had one wish it would be someone with talent make a GIF of Chevy and Burke were both deadpan looks for about a two count after it was revealed Winnipeg was moving up but Chevy cracked that little grin while Burke stayed in character. That moment made me burst out laughing (on the replay of coarse).

KBobs

Dec 26, 2013
Canada
If Edmonton was picking #3, I could definitely see a path to the Jets ending up with both Finns. However, I really can't see Columbus giving up the big Finn. They need high end forward talent and could really use a "star".

According to Dreger and forget who else, Jarmo really wants to trade for the 2nd pick, giving him 2nd and 3rd. Being that it's Wpg in the 2 hole (and Toronto primed to pick Matthews) I don't think Columbus has a realistic chance. Not only is Jarmo (obviously) from Finland, but their chief scout is also Finnish. They really like Laine and Puljujarvi, but then again, so does everyone. Maybe this scout is one of the two scouts Mckenzie polled as having Laine ahead of Matthews? Maybe that's why they want that 2nd pick (allegedly) more than any other team? Just a thought.

I don't feel the need for Wpg to get the #3 pick. It would cost too much, and we're fine on the Wings. We need to trade our F prospects for D depth.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Congrats guys, legitimately excited for you!

Hey very cool of you to drop by. I know we have debated the hell out of prospect pools so it seems so fitting that we add a new chapter doesn't it :laugh:

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
According to Dreger and forget who else, Jarmo really wants to trade for the 2nd pick, giving him 2nd and 3rd. Being that it's Wpg in the 2 hole (and Toronto primed to pick Matthews) I don't think Columbus has a realistic chance. Not only is Jarmo (obviously) from Finland, but their chief scout is also Finnish. They really like Laine and Puljujarvi, but then again, so does everyone. Maybe this scout is one of the two scouts Mckenzie polled as having Laine ahead of Matthews? Maybe that's why they want that 2nd pick (allegedly) more than any other team? Just a thought.

Just for fun what would it take to trade that? Ryan Murray, saad and a first.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Possibly, but what would they even offer Chevy to pry that pick from his hands? Cbus has nothing worth the 2nd that doesn't include the 3rd pick, and that's including Saad and Werenski.

No to Murray. He's oft injured and has had his development stalled significantly from it. It would be Saad, Werenski, and a 1st at least.

Morning Dart

Jun 22, 2013
Toronto
Leafs fan coming in peace to say congrats Jets fans. Was legitimately ecstatic when you guys came back in to the league, and yours is a market (much like ours) that deserves a great hockey team. Enjoy!

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
Feels so good to not have *****ed and moaned about our 4 game win streak to end the year, and get rewarded with winning the lotto :).

agreed.

It was great to see some wins at the end of the season, even if it was garbage time. Kids got to play and get some experience and some fans got to see some wins at the end.

The new rules to the lottery prove it's luck of the draw and there are no statistical guarantees in it. Ask the Oilers and Nucks. Hope this stops tank talk from other teams next year and jumping 4 spots to grab 2nd overall was sweet.

I was yelling and screaming just like everyone else when it happened. It will be exciting to watch the draft already knowing you're getting 1 of 2 players in the first.

Paneerboy

Leave Zach alone
May 16, 2015
As a Finn, Leo Komarov really liked Winnipeg because it reminded him of home, which was Finland.

This is a pretty perfect scenario for you guys.

KBobs

Dec 26, 2013
Canada

That's overkill, in my opinion. It's tough to say, because a precedent hasn't been set in prior years. Murray looks to be slotted as a #3 or arguably even a bonafide #2 D for the next decade -- and he's a LD. Saad looks like the first line power forward every team longs for. Also, it depends on how good the pick is and the depth of this draft or the next (if the pick is moved to the following year instead).

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
A few random thoughts.

Getting such a skilled winger is much more palatable based on the emergence of Scheifele as a legit #1 big body centre.

Yes nice to slay the late win streak draggon from the end of the season.

So how about the expansion from 1 to 3 teams in the lotto this season eh!!!

Am I the only guy who over served himself a bit last night?

Am I the only guy that woke up this morning and quickly checked my phone to confirm I wasn't dreaming?

My how 24 hours change so much

Its going to be strange (in a good way) to not be worrying about who to pick at 7-8?

Holden come out come out where ever you are?

World championships just got a hell of allot more interesting.

May do I hope BPA at 22 and 36 are D men but always BPA.

Is it just me or does it seem even sunnier out today.

We are not delusional now to think we may have the young core to contend for a cup.

Glad we didn't go $6 x 6 for Ladd now.

our Cap flexibiltity is a big advantage.

We have allot of assets to make deals now.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

It would start with their first next season unprotected. We would also need their second this year. A significant cost controlled roster player would also be needed. Maybe that's not even enough.

But I can't imagine the Jets trading this "BIG" draft pick TBH

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne

To me, that really isn't attractive. Saad is already making 6M. Murray isn't bad, but he also isn't all that good.

IMO Werenski would be an absolute must. But that isn't really close to getting the #2 OA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad