Confirmed with Link: Jets/Buffalo Blockbuster! part II (Kane and Bogo)

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Time will tell....hence 'prediction'

The 61st best active goal scoring forward falling to 3rd line talent (which is 181st-270th players in talent in the NHL) at an age where players tend to increase not decrease their scoring was your prediction. Completely possible, despite my opinion it being improbable do to historical comparables.

The "where he belongs" isn't a prediction, but rather a comment on current play, or ill worded.

Boxertim

Mar 21, 2014
winnipeg
why wasn't he slotted in on our 'first' or 'second' line here? Was he not playing on the 'third' line where his play warranted?

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
why wasn't he slotted in on our 'first' or 'second' line here? Was he not playing on the 'third' line where his play warranted?

Really?

Yes. A third line player who over 2011-15:

Scores 0.89 5v5 goals per 60 mins, avg 1st liner scores 0.84, 2nd line 0.75, 3rd 0.59.

Scores 1.85 5v5 points per 60 mins, avg 1st, 2nd, and 3rd liner goes 2.03, 1.73, and 1.42.

82nd in pts/gp for active forwards with 100+ games played (note top 90 would represent "1st line players")

51.3 Corsi percentage, avg 1st, 2nd, and 3rd liner goes 51.9, 50.7, and 49.3.

He's done this despite his main centres being:

Olli Jokinen - terrible Corsi player and 3rd line point production per minute

Mark Scheifele - was a poor Corsi player last season (better this year) and 3rd line point production per minute

Alexander Burmistrov - good Corsi player but 3rd line point production per minute

Adam Lowry - good Corsi player but 4th line point production per minute

You can like or hate Kane all you want. All the power to you.
Kane was and has not ever performed as a third line player. He's basically an elite second liner who scores goals above a first line average rate while having typically 3rd line Cs beside him.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
Yum!
Sour grapes!

Thank you for using this expression correctly. I always see it used improperly. :)

Anything can happen, but I'd bet on Kane being the best player in this deal. Don't know why anyone would think he'd need to fail/underachieve as a condition for Winnipeg "winning" this deal.

seasontixholder*

As much as Kane had off ice issues, his on ice performance was great. He made others on his line better. I think he lights it up with McEichel next year. I'm calling it now, barring injury, he gets over 30 goals.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

He was quite often actually.
Paul Maurice gave Kane an average 14.73 5v5 minutes a game. PS that's more than any other Jet.

It's called scoring depth and making a team difficult to line up against.

The four highest scoring forwards over 2011-15 on the Jets this season are Wheeler, Ladd, Perreault, Kane (not in order). What position did the last three play for the later part of the season?

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
I think the most interesting thing about the trade is the incredibly wide set of possible outcomes. Given the number of players involved and their relatively young ages (except Stafford, of course), there is the possibility for either team to hit a home run here.

Buffalo only has Kane for three seasons before he is UFA. Even if he reaches 40 goals playing with an elite centerman drafted this year, will Buffalo really be a Cup contender in three years? What happens to him then? Does he make a full recovery from his surgery (although initial reports are good)? Does he struggle to mesh with a team that will likely be bad next year as well? Will Buffalo end up trading him in his UFA year? What return might he bring?

Bogosian has four years left and it seems that he may be the most predictable piece. Even then, it is four seasons where he will be asked to play 1st pair minutes on a body that has not typically survived his style of play for 82 games.

Kasdorf has the longest potential career of any of them and, as I'm told, "goalies are voodoo". If he becomes a 10-year starter for Buffalo, that has to be a big win. On the other hand, he could just as easily never make it out of the AHL.

On our side, leaving Stafford out of it, Myers remains young with four years left on his (very appealing) contract. If he blossoms as a top 2nd pair offensive defenseman, approaching Buff's offensive levels, that would clearly be an upgrade on Bogo. Alternatively, he may wilt under the physical pressure of the Western conference and be relegated to 3rd pair duty (yes, I understand that being the 3rd RHD on the Jets rights now means you may still be pretty good).

The three prospects/picks are unknowns, like Kasdorf. If the Jets turn two of them into long time top-9/top-4 players for the team, that would be an outstanding return, and likely tip the trade in their favour. They could also all be busts...or they could hit on all three.

In short, this trade has the widest set of possible answers in ten years time to the question, "who won that WPG-BUF trade back in 2015?" I'll be fascinated to see how it turns out.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Kane-as-a-member-of-the-Sabres-300x170.jpg

Kane confirms to Buffalo media he had requested a trade. It had been widely speculated but never confirmed. Of course when he requested the trade will likely never be know.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Got a funny premonition that Kane and Bogo will never be Sabre's team-mates on the ice.

civic204

Jun 1, 2012
Certainly not the most endearing presser if I'm a Buffalo fan.

After listening to the press conference, I am glad Kane's gone. He needs to mature a great deal if he ever wants to be a contributor to a winning team.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
Boy is Kane hard to like. Wipe that smirk off your face and be genuine for once, guy.

In hindsight, I'm soooo glad he's gone. The cognitive dissonance he was causing me was becoming unbearable.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
:laugh:

Kaner can't get away from the media asking the hard questions, trying to dig deeper to find the answers. Pretty much the only way to make it stop is to just stop doing things worth asking about buddy :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad