GDT: Jets @ Blues • Tue, Jan 31 • 7PM CT • TSN3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
So what is it you suspect?

Well you didn't ask me, but I SUSPECT, Mo doesn't want to go straight back to leaning on the young guy and wants to rotate a bit, before ideally leaning on him down the stretch run.

Also believe that Chevy is working on G trades, both incoming and outgoing.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Pre-game audio

Patrik Laine: What stands out from the All-Star weekend? On fitting in with the rest of the guys in L.A.. Did he have any special conversations? Importance of tonight's game. (Nikolaj Ehlers pops in to ask a question) How did he go minus three at the All-Star game? Were people surprised with his speed in fastest skater speed? Getting a chance to hang out with his dad. Will his experience last year help him in the final stretch drive in NHL? Was he proud to finish with the second hardest shot?

Jacob Trouba: On play ramping up post All-Star game. On the Jets success against the Central. Both teams bringing out the best in the other. Importance of the two (four) points. Is the team closer to their 'identity' and what is it?

Coach Maurice: Wheeler is fine? Importance of post All-Star games. Do they control their own destiny? How does he look at the next block of 30? Did he chat with Laine post All-Star? On Laine's second half last year in Finland benefiting him in second half of NHL game. Does the lack of time off from All-Star impact Laine? Is Perreault an option for Thursday?

To listen click here.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
So what is it you suspect?

Perhaps it's his effort in practice, or he's grumbling in the room about what's going on with the goaltending situation. I can't see it being about performance fully. It's just speculation on my part - it could be because Pavelec beat the Blues a couple of weeks ago and Maurice likes him again, he plays those hunches a lot, which I'm not a fan of.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Perhaps it's his effort in practice, or he's grumbling in the room about what's going on with the goaltending situation. I can't see it being about performance fully. It's just speculation on my part - it could be because Pavelec beat the Blues a couple of weeks ago and Maurice likes him again, he plays those hunches a lot, which I'm not a fan of.

Grumbling and complaining will give players the best chance to enjoy the game with all you can eat hotdogs.

I suspect that is why Stu's enjoying the tube steaks.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

I heard Maurice on the radio saying that they want to bring Helle back slowly and allow him to practice while on a good note. I believe that they are doing what they think is best for his development, not for immediate gain.

Hopefully we can have both.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I heard Maurice on the radio saying that they want to bring Helle back slowly and allow him to practice while on a good note. I believe that they are doing what they think is best for his development, not for immediate gain.

Sounds like they are treating him as if he suffered an injury.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
what's bad is Maurice's options and his options are not maurice's fault.

No. What's really bad is your opinion of Maurice's options.

When all you can do is knock a young goalie whose had superb numbers wherever he's played prior to his NHL career, and he carries a .912 average over his first 61 games in the NHL, all I can do is give my head a shake:shakehead

Do I think .912 is good enough? Probably not. Will he get better - undoubtedly. Is he a better option than Pavs - hmmm, is ice cold?

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I suspect he's trying to make Hellebuyck 'take' the net, not receive it.

"Take"the net from a demonstrably worse goalie? What does Helle need to do to "take" the net back? He played solid in his last game, would this not warrant another start in order for him to "take" back the net?

What does Pav need to do to "lose" the net? :help:

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
So by Maurice's standards, Pav received 3 successive starts based on what Maurice considered his strong play, not statistically, just in his estimation. Helle puts in a good start, statistically and by most's peoples eyes and Maurice puts Pav back in the net.

WTF?

If Maurice's options are the problem, he shouldn't be doubling down on that and choosing the worse option.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
So by Maurice's standards, Pav received 3 successive starts based on what Maurice considered his strong play, not statistically, just in his estimation. Helle puts in a good start, statistically and by most's peoples eyes and Maurice puts Pav back in the net.

WTF?

If Maurice's options are the problem, he shouldn't be doubling down on that and choosing the worse option.

Goalie whispering ********...

Sure, Maurice has had bad goalies throughout his career - then again he's made to worst of it. If you're a coach and your goalies suck, sit down with the GM and say "You gotta do something." Maurice has either not done that over his career, or he has but he's always ignored for some reason. He seems like a pretty thoughtful and persuasive guy, so I don't think it's a case of his pleas falling on deaf ears. He actually thinks he can win with the Jets current assemblage of goalies.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
No. What's really bad is your opinion of Maurice's options.

When all you can do is knock a young goalie whose had superb numbers wherever he's played prior to his NHL career, and he carries a .912 average over his first 61 games in the NHL, all I can do is give my head a shake:shakehead

Do I think .912 is good enough? Probably not. Will he get better - undoubtedly. Is he a better option than Pavs - hmmm, is ice cold?

are you not agreeing with me here. you say helle's .912 is probably not good enough and pavs is worse. so if the 2 options are probably not good enough and bad does that not mean Maurice has been given 2 bad options.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well you didn't ask me, but I SUSPECT, Mo doesn't want to go straight back to leaning on the young guy and wants to rotate a bit, before ideally leaning on him down the stretch run.

Also believe that Chevy is working on G trades, both incoming and outgoing.

That may have been the unstated mystery suspicion. Or maybe it was some other mysterious thing.

Can't see any trade requiring Pav to play. If he had come up and really nailed it they might have been able to scare up a TD deal. But he is .894 through 4 games. He has just confirmed what everybody already knew. He does not belong in the NHL, even as a backup. So if he is traded he is just a salary dump to save Mr. Chipman some money. Like a swap for Halek for example. Since the acquiring team will never play him there is no need to showcase him.

No, I think he is playing tonight because Mau is going with the goalie he believes gives them the best chance to win. That is the sad part. Of course we all know that Pav is capable of playing well for short bursts. If he comes up big and wins does that make Maurice's decision a good one?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I prefer that reason to the other one. :laugh:

Sounds like they are treating him as if he suffered an injury.

He did - an injury to his psyche. 6 goals on 13 shots. :laugh:

I wonder if it might have been better if Mau had left him in to fight through it? We can never know of course. The moment is past.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
are you not agreeing with me here. you say helle's .912 is probably not good enough and pavs is worse. so if the 2 options are probably not good enough and bad does that not mean Maurice has been given 2 bad options.

No I'm not agreeing with you. I'm saying that .912 is dang impressive for a goalie of his age & experience, but we can always hope & expect for better results down the road given his pedigree. For Mo to expect any better than what Pavs has given the Jets since forever is sheer stupidity.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I prefer that reason to the other one. :laugh:

He did - an injury to his psyche. 6 goals on 13 shots. :laugh:

I wonder if it might have been better if Mau had left him in to fight through it? We can never know of course. The moment is past.

much ado about nothing.
while i'd rather have Helle in net, Pavs does have pretty good career #s against StL.

as far as calling up Pavs and playing him? again, not a huge fan, but if it gave Helle a week to work on a couple of things they may have noticed, then yes, it was the right move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad