Frederik Andersen in playoff elimination games

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
He did have his skate up against the post. When Kreider poked the puck it chipped up over his skate and just between the gap of his pad and the post.

There are always little gaps between pads etc that a goalie can get unlucky with and that was kind of one of them. Mainly he was also having to recover from starting to move off his post before Zibanejad flung it back into him so he couldn't just setup and hug the post instantly and freeze the puck right away. It was pretty bang bang as well, he didn't have all day to get that covered.

That said, probably could have played it better, seems to be a bit wobbly on his skates at times.

Don't think the 1st goal is as much on him as people make it out to be other than again, his balance on his skates doesn't seem to be the best and it made it more difficult for him to regain his feet and locate the puck and move in his net. But his D literally passed the puck right to Panarin who one timed it and then the puck was deflected...a whole lot went on in that sequence and just saying Anderson screwed it up is ignoring a lot of what happened.
His foot pulled away a bit as tried to reach out with his glove. Granted I thought he was standing up more than another look at the replay shows he was when saying he should’ve just held/hugged the post.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
I have Andersen with a 5-8 record when his team has a chance to be eliminated, and with a 5-9 record when his team has a chance to eliminate an opponent.

I agree that Andersen lost eight consecutive games when his teams had a chance to eliminate an opponent, but I'm not sure where 0-8 came from. "Trouble Closing It Out" in the first post seems to include only those eight games, which span May 27, 2015 through August 9, 2020 (inclusive).

But I think we can all agree that Andersen's career started with two wins in potential series-clinching games:

April 22, 2015 - game four, Anaheim beats Winnipeg

May 10, 2015 - game five, Anaheim beats Calgary.

People remember the meltdown against Chicago in the 2015 Western Conference Finals (beautifully illustrated here - although I'm biased):

But people (including whomever produced the graphic in the original post) seem to forget that to lose a seven-game Conference Finals series, the team needs to get to the Conference Finals (and therefore win two potential series-clinching games). And Andersen's Ducks swept the Jets in four before eliminating the Flames in five (in overtime).

Now if you really want to dunk on Andersen, he's 0-5 in mutual-elimination games (where both teams can be eliminated). These are typically Game Sevens, although Andersen's most recent was a 2020 Game Five.

But to sum it up, the graphic in the first post isn't accurate (not even at some point in the past).

Last edited:

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
With all due respect to Freddy, he was at fault for 1 of the 4 goals. The other 3 were unsavable.

Canes fans just using Freddy as the fall guy.

Came here to say exactly this. Who’s the asshole who threw the pizza to Trochek? I’d blame that guy a lot more, if we want scapegoats.

His numbers/record reflect his teams and health more than anything, imo. He didn’t play poorly last night, don’t recall him necessarily being awful in the others- it’s almost like he’s on teams that consistently f*** up when the pressure is on. He was also banged up for a lot of those runs. Personally I blame Marner.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Re-watch it my friend.

You are wrong.
Yes, trocheck tipped it in....
to a net that looked to be half open when he got his stick on it.
I bet the original shot, if on target, would’ve went in with need of deflection.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Came here to say exactly this. Who’s the asshole who threw the pizza to Trochek? I’d blame that guy a lot more, if we want scapegoats.
I think it was Orlov trying to lay out a soft pass to lead one of his forwards who were starting to skate out of the zone. He just messed it up and instead pass it right to Panarin who one timed it

Reactions: TheDawnOfANewTage

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
But people (including whomever produced the graphic in the original post) seem to forget that to lose a seven-game Conference Finals series, the team needs to get to the Conference Finals (and therefore win two potential series-clinching games). And Andersen's Ducks swept the Jets in four before eliminating the Flames in five (in overtime).

But the Ducks were clearly the better team in those series. In that situation you're not asking your goalie to do more than not totally meltdown.

But against a more closely matched opponent like in Ducks-Hawks, you're going to need not just avoidance of killer bad games/goals, but you're asking for some difficult saves in difficult moments. And he was left wanting.

Cup winners almost always have pivotal games where they make saves that, if they'd gone in, you might not blame the goalie outright ... but you need him to come up with a few of those anyway. It may not be his fault if he doesn't win those games, per se, but that doesn't mean he was good enough either. Andersen has had a long career of being good but not quite good enough, and a lot of goals where you can say well that wasn't necessarily an expected save but man it woulda been nice if he did.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
But the Ducks were clearly the better team in those series. In that situation you're not asking your goalie to do more than not totally meltdown.

But against a more closely matched opponent like in Ducks-Hawks, you're going to need not just avoidance of killer bad games/goals, but you're asking for some difficult saves in difficult moments. And he was left wanting.

Cup winners almost always have pivotal games where they make saves that, if they'd gone in, you might not blame the goalie outright ... but you need him to come up with a few of those anyway. It may not be his fault if he doesn't win those games, per se, but that doesn't mean he was good enough either. Andersen has had a long career of being good but not quite good enough, and a lot of goals where you can say well that wasn't necessarily an expected save but man it woulda been nice if he did.

Agreed that sometimes Andersen was on the better team.

But at no point in his career was he "0-8 in potential series clinching Stanley Cup playoff games" (as the first post claims). Whether you think he should have won those first games or not, he did win those first two games.

Reactions: cptjeff

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Sorry. No matter who you blame it on, the Leafs are the chokers.

This does seem like a hysterical pat on the back considering the slew of misfit toys the Leafs have brought in after letting Andresen go.

Imagine a franchise where the best playoff goaltender you've had in the last twenty years in Ilya Samsonov.

Last edited:

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
I don't understand how Koch played one game all playoffs after carrying them in the regular season.

Make it make sense.

Reactions: wgknestrick

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I can't remember if I already said this in this thread or not

Toronto has continued to choke and lose even after Andersen.

Andersen was a good goalie in Toronto, until his last year or two. Maybe even an elite goalie, definitely borderline elite until he was about 30.

Then he got hurt, eventually lost his job to Jack Campbell in his final year there and then left.

He's just not a good goalie anymore. He had one more comeback season in 2021-2022, but that was pretty much the exception to the norm since 2019. And that was behind the best defense/best defensive team he's ever played behind and a team that I highly suspect makes goalies look better than they are. They even made Raanta still look pretty good or at least passable up until this year.

If you put Andersen on about 20 other teams in the league I'm pretty sure he has below average numbers. Maybe even as much as 25 other teams in the league.

Maybe we'll find out next year, when the Canes (SHOULD) cap dump him on Chicago.

Andersen had really good numbers this season, but he only played 16 games. You think he has a .932% if he played in 40-45 games this year? I'm wondering if he even has a .910%. I could easily see him sliding the way Adin Hill did after his really electric start to this season before he got his usual injury.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Andersen won playoff rounds in Anaheim. When they made the WCF in 2015 didn't he play the whole way through?

I don't think he's a career choker, I think he just sucks now.

The Leafs probably could have won the 2019 series against Boston (I picked Boston though), but I don't think they realistically should have been expected to beat them in 2018. And they definitely shouldn't have been expected to beat Washington in 2017. They were rookies/or at least playoff rookies at that point. That was their first playoff berth in 12 years and Washington were one of the best teams in the league at the time. I don't think anyone was expecting them/Andersen to win that series or any round that year.

The 2020 loss to Columbus in the play-in was a joke. Andersen had good numbers in that round and they somehow lost. I don't remember much how that went. Toronto really should have won that and the 2021 series against Montreal. Andersen was on the bench for that one.

I don't think he's a career choker. I think he just sucks at this point in his career. He's 34 years old, he's probably being held together by duct tape. He's shot. I really wouldn't expect him to win a playoff series these days, although he did win one last year and was in net for just the series clincher in the first round.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I felt we would lose after that first weak goal.

This is going to game 7 if Kochetkov is in net.

Only a bum let's in these sort of weak goals in the playoffs... He almost cost us game 4 with this BS too.

Confirmation RBA sucks. Can't even pick the right tender.
Agree hunderd percent .
Rod made the wrong call.
We knew it before the game started.
When the first Krieder goal went in on Freddy. It was game over. Looked like Anderson even knew it.
Was like watching Freddy reruns.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Ah crap. My mistake. That goal I saw replays and not live. IMO, Freddy was still out of position because he chilled out being lax when he saw a Cane player getting control of the puck. He should had been more focused. That's why when the puck floated over to Panarin, he acted wild trying to get back in net and stumbled.

I hear ya, I still believe in position or not, that's a lucky stop, not something you can plan for.

UED

May 2, 2021
Andersen cannot be absolved of all blame because of goal 2 but Orlov is the main guy I would blame. Directly responsible for one and partly responsible for a second whereas Andersen is "only" responsible for one. As a GM I wouldn't allow a goal like the first from from a depth player so I would get rid of Orlov but I guess in the real world with his contract he's pretty untradeable. Even at 50% retained he's overpaid in a world where you can have someone simple and reliable like McNabb, Dumoulin, Zadorov for less instead of a saboteur. I doubt Dundon would allow them to trade a 5'11" dman though. It's too bad too because the way they're built there is no reason for them to even have Orlov who just undoes their strategy instead of one of those guys. They would've been better off offering that massive contract to Dumoulin who was also a UFA, probably headed to game 7.

StrmSurge

RBA sucks!
Mar 19, 2019
Walhalla, SC
Maybe it was accurate years ago, but Andersen has won 3 elimination games in the past 18 days. He breaks the streak and loses one, and here comes a thread based on a graphic from five years ago.

The degree to which a stint in Toronto builds narratives for goalies is just insane.
Andersen can't stay on his skates. He struggles to track the puck constantly especially if it is on our end boards.

Canes defense even without Peace gave him the easiest life a goal tender could ask for. We still lost.

Kochetkov is the future , why are we living in the past

Anyway go Florida! My OG team before I moved to the Carolinas and got serious about hockey 15 yrs ago.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Andersen won a clinching game just last series.
He won 2 just last season game 6 against the Islanders and game 5 against the Devils.

Look we get Toronto just wants to blame Freddie because their team folded in big playoff games.

Reactions: cptjeff and zeeto

StrmSurge

RBA sucks!
Mar 19, 2019
Walhalla, SC
How is he supposed to save a tip in redirect from 5ft away from the goal?
Dude already answered you. A seasoned tender if he can't find the puck but knows it's on his skate, you hold the post. You don't try to cover when youre not even sure where the puck is.

I pray they get rid of this guy in the off-season. Our D works too damned hard to be letting in softies, when it takes everything we got to our goals on shizsterkin.

Also, nobody even bothered to mention the would be goal that 'Nook saved, slid right through Andersens weakly guarded 5 hole, cause the loser can't keep an edge and transition smoothly from post to post. Instead he's doing back flips in net.

It's Kochetkov's time. At least he can track the puck, glide post to post. It's time for the 24 yr old with a high ceiling to start. Not the Maple Leafs garbage.

Hope they fire RBA too, but I know that is beyond wishful thinking. Dude can't make between game adjustments to save his life.

We skate circles around the Rags with this current squad. We lost cause of bad game plan, and horrible goal-tending.

It's baffling why you supposed fans can't see what is painfully obvious. I want to win the Cup, not be humiliated every season. Apparently some of you are ok with being humiliated, or just have problems facing the reality of the situation on both fronts.

Sorry if the truth hurts some feels up in here. Have a good night.

StrmSurge

RBA sucks!
Mar 19, 2019
Walhalla, SC
Playoff series was a mismatch. Still, goalies need to hold their teams in it when the skaters are getting hemmed in. Kreider imposed his will on the net.
Yeah it was a mismatch. We had no business losing to the rags. We dominated them in 5 on 5. And that was with a poor offensive scheme (making it harder on ourselves than it needed to be)

Especially with the rebounds shisterkin gave up with regularity. You expand the ice when you skate better, but don't have the reach that a super sized team like Rags. Instead we continued to pass into the goal crease, shrinking our own offensive ice, which gave them so many easy poke checks , many of which gave them odd man chances.

Pitiful hockey game plan all around. The rare times we stretched the ice and made them skate with us they couldn't keep up, and we were popping rebbies into back of net.

Anyone that thinks there was some major 'talent disparity ' don't know shit. (Outside of goal-tending)

RBA didn't make one positive decision all series , but the fanboys will continue to suck his ....

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Andersen can't stay on his skates. He struggles to track the puck constantly especially if it is on our end boards.

Canes defense even without Peace gave him the easiest life a goal tender could ask for. We still lost.

Kochetkov is the future , why are we living in the past

Anyway go Florida! My OG team before I moved to the Carolinas and got serious about hockey 15 yrs ago.
It would be better for a young goalie to take the starting role away from a vet. No need to just hand a kid the job when Andersen is making backup money and would fill that role if/when Kochetkov is in fact better.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
The Leafs did the right thing moving on maybe, but when they blew the cap space on shitty ass dumpster dives like Mrazek, Murray, and Samsonov... well Freddy should've been kept
Freddy fell apart when it matter most multiple time. he stole games and lost us games as well. that final season he got outplayed by Jack Campbell and lost his starting position thats the real reason why he was let go.

NoVaCapsFan

Apr 19, 2017
I can’t believe I’m the guy posting this, but: can’t someone credit the Rangers with stepping up big time when things looked dire?

Why does it have to be Freddy’s fault, or Orlov’s, or whatever? I’m not saying they played great in the 3rd, but still the Rangers did seize the moment, didn’t they?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad