Confirmed with Link: Jets Acquire Tangradi From Penguins

pondnorth

Dec 16, 2005
Top six is where the problem is not tinkering with the 4th line, everyone knew last season the Jets couldn't score, the team also needed to be more physical, bringing in two soft old veterans ponki, jonki) both reluctant to hit didn't solve anything, every other team in the league is going young and the Jets go with two old guys.

Cormier and Mach in a Jets uniform would be a start.

Agree with you on this one Sippy.Not scoring either

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
last i checked you dont get extra points in the standings for acquiring players without paying much.....the 'build by waver wire' approach has not been fruitful thus far.

fact is, other than jokinen every transaction Chevy has made has been fringe players who have not worked out.....we wont look back at his legacy and say, yeah he missed the playoffs every year but he was good at signing guys for the league minimum.

in the end its about winning...who cares what it cost....your points are not pro-rated against how much you spend....i couldnt care less how much a player makes....a cheap bad player is worse than a mediocre expensive one in my opinion.

montoya had the 43rd best save percentage in the league last year...one of only a few worse than pavalec.....i dont buy that there were no other options.....there are lots of options...there are 60 NHL goalies....make a trade...why else is Chevy there?

Firstly, it's been one year. Second, Chevy has stated he's not going to make a splash for the sake of making a splash. What other options should have Chevy tried in getting a backup goaltender? You tell me what he should have done.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
last i checked you dont get extra points in the standings for acquiring players without paying much.....the 'build by waver wire' approach has not been fruitful thus far.

fact is, other than jokinen every transaction Chevy has made has been fringe players who have not worked out.....we wont look back at his legacy and say, yeah he missed the playoffs every year but he was good at signing guys for the league minimum.

in the end its about winning...who cares what it cost....your points are not pro-rated against how much you spend....i couldnt care less how much a player makes....a cheap bad player is worse than a mediocre expensive one in my opinion.

montoya had the 43rd best save percentage in the league last year...one of only a few worse than pavalec.....i dont buy that there were no other options.....there are lots of options...there are 60 NHL goalies....make a trade...why else is Chevy there?

Chevy let Kulda walk, he was called up ahead of Postma and Redmond last season, kind of tells you something.

Acquiring Jonki and Ponki were poor moves, he took a risk signing them both and lost.

He resigned Wellwood, how's that working out?

He picks guys off the waiver wire ignoring his own prospects in St.Johns and some wonder why a guy like Mach is pissed.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Chevy let Kulda walk, he was called up ahead of Postma and Redmond last season, kind of tells you something.

Acquiring Jonki and Ponki were poor moves, he took a risk signing them both and lost.

He resigned Wellwood, how's that working out?

He picks guys off the waiver wire ignoring his own prospects in St.Johns and some wonder why a guy like Mach is pissed.

LOL. People want Machacek sent to the ECHL. But he's a better option than Jokinen. Before you say 'but he was all hurt that he got sent down' he sucked BEFORE the NHL season started.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
LOL. People want Machacek sent to the ECHL. But he's a better option than Jokinen. Before you say 'but he was all hurt that he got sent down' he sucked BEFORE the NHL season started.

Personally I thought Mach was a lock for Glass's spot with Slater and Thorbs, I think part of that equation was that Mach thought so to and his play and attitude in St. Johns suffered.

You have to admit picking up every guy on the waiver wire can't inspire a lot of confidence for the guys playing in St. Johns. Personally I think it's a bad precedent on the other hand the talent in St. Johns may be a little thinner than any of us imagine.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Personally I thought Mach was a lock for Glass's spot with Slater and Thorbs, I think part of that equation was that Mach thought so to and his play and attitude in St. Johns suffered.

You have to admit picking up every guy on the waiver wire can't inspire a lot of confidence for the guys playing in St. Johns. Personally I think it's a bad precedent on the other hand the talent in St. Johns may be a little thinner than any of us imagine.

You have to EARN a call up. Have you seen the friggin gongshow down there? The team was terrible when the NHL was locked out and they are terrible now. The reason Chevy is plucking waiver guys is because no one on the rock deserves to be called up.

You notice how we haven't picked up a defenseman, even when we knew Bogosian was out and when Buff went down? It's because Postma and Redmond earned a promotion and proved they belonged here.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
You have to EARN a call up. Have you seen the friggin gongshow down there? The team was terrible when the NHL was locked out and they are terrible now. The reason Chevy is plucking waiver guys is because no one on the rock deserves to be called up.

You notice how we haven't picked up a defenseman, even when we knew Bogosian was out and when Buff went down? It's because Postma and Redmond earned a promotion and proved they belonged here.

You may be right, I checked the stats in St. Johns, Mach is -23, Mach'nr is -20 and sadly JaJaff is once again the leading scorer.

To be fair to Chevy the forward cupboard is pretty bare in St.J

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
For me, the jury is still out on Chevy.....Scheif could as easily turn out to be a career AHL player as a top 6 in my opinion......most of his moves have failed...Fehr, Mietennen, Poni were all duds, wright, peluso and clitsome are non factors.....I like jokinen but he hasnt found his stride yet (i realize its early)......montoya scares me.

has he added a single piece to the puzzle yet?.....i understand that some patience is needed, but he hasnt done anything to actually gain my confidence.....He hasnt made the team better in any real way.

hopefully his legacy will be an amazing draft guy.....maybe scheifele gets stronger on his skates and becomes a star.....but in my opinion, its way too early to say "This team is going to be something special in several years."

there is very little evidence to support that.

man, can someone re-size that picture...

i can't really disagree with this, since this is effectively the other side of the coin from where i'm standing.

good and valid points too, peter

that said, just as there is very little apparent evidence we have right now to Chevy's track record, we have even less to consider what his legacy may be

I personally think he's making some decent moves. He seems big on giving guys opportunities, but at the same time he does understand what our record is.

I do feel we need to be patient; this team isn't going to become a consistent playoff contender overnight. I have faith that Chevy understands what kind of pieces build playoff teams, given his success in the past. That might not end up being the case, but we'll see what happens.

We also have to keep in mind, some key pieces on our team are still very young, and time should hopefully give them the experience they need to perform at a higher level where we can start to expect more out of them, but those things are out of Chevy's control. Our team isn't mediocre simply because Chevy makes (or fails to make) these moves. Its also a team with some key pieces simply too young for the shortened 2012-2013 season.

Last edited:

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Tangradi has shown all the signs you would want from a successful power forward in the NHL to be..... in the OHL and AHL. Very little in the NHL.

The Pens board is split between those who feel that he is useless and those who think we mismanaged his development entirely.

Personally I think if you give him the rest of this season getting consistent shifts on a line that is allowed to get chemistry, you are going to develop a really useful hockey player. But the man probably arrives with zero confidence, although lots of enthusiasm to get a real chance.

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
rockefeller...i agree with your points...i was merely presenting the other side...there is a lot of blind faith in true north because they gave us a team.....i love them, but i wont say they are geniuses at building an NHL franchise quite yet.....i am grateful but they will have to prove it to me.

guys like lawless seem to have drunk the cool aid and true north can do no wrong....too often i hear the argument that true north have some greater plan and innate hockey intelligence that will make them be more successful than other franchises.....like they somehow know something the others don't.......to me there is no evidence of it yet......most of their moves have been waiver acquisitions of fringe players......the entire organization is from the AHL.....why should we assume they know what they are doing?

i love jokinen and hope he becomes a good player for us....and this move today is fine by me...its a flyer...chevy has taken several of them...none of which have panned out...except maybe welwood to a certain extent.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Did we just trade for a player that couldn't beat out Tanner ****ing Glass for a roster spot? And get rid of our third line LW?

Oh well... It's not like I haven't suffered through losing seasons before!

Seriously though, I hope he turns out well.

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
I am a huge Cheveldayoff supporter, and yesterday's moves did nothing to change that. Tangradi is a legitimate prospect who can be a quality 3rd liner in the NHL. To acquire him, effectively for free was a big win. Ponikarovsky was not in Winnipeg's long-term plans, that much is obvious. Given that we are not looking at all like a team that is playoff bound, or for that matter has any ability to make noise once we get there, then obtaining youth, letting them play and perhaps slipping into an opportunity to select an ultra-high end offensive talent like MacKinnon, Drouin or Barkov is a great course to set as far as I'm concerned.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Hey guys, I come in peace.

I was one of the few Pens fans that was pissed off with the way Bylsma handled Tangradi, to the point where he crushed his confidence and just insanely misused him and wrote him off without really giving him a proper shot in the top 6. Did he have stuff to work on? Sure, so do a lot of the young guys that are in the NHL with little experience.

I hope Noel knows how to use the youngsters, I still want to see the kid succeed at the NHL level and I think he will. If they start him on the 3rd line and increase his ice time, he'll get there. Bylsma wouldn't even give him that benefit of the doubt, he got straight 4th line minutes, barely any chance.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He's worth a shot for you guys.

Just listen and let Bob Errey sell you on him. :sarcasm:

He made such huge improvements to his health and skating, he started taking his workouts more seriously and he swapped that baby fat for muscle and his skating just started to get more fluid. The folks that tell you he's slow, are wrong. He won't win any skating competitions, but he's an above average skater that is constantly improving.

I'm kind of sad but happy he's gone. He'll now get a chance to be the player he was meant to be.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Hey guys, I come in peace.

I was one of the few Pens fans that was pissed off with the way Bylsma handled Tangradi, to the point where he crushed his confidence and just insanely misused him and wrote him off without really giving him a proper shot in the top 6. Did he have stuff to work on? Sure, so do a lot of the young guys that are in the NHL with little experience.

I hope Noel knows how to use the youngsters, I still want to see the kid succeed at the NHL level and I think he will. If they start him on the 3rd line and increase his ice time, he'll get there. Bylsma wouldn't even give him that benefit of the doubt, he got straight 4th line minutes, barely any chance.

Yikes! I hope we don't Sheifele him too! :rant:

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
At the very least, I'm wondering if we could use him in a "Holmstrom" type role on the PP.

Doesn't seem like we have anyone that is willing to stand in-front of the net and take punishment to screen / deflect any pucks.

Ulf Hullberg

Nov 6, 2011
Winnipeg
Did we just trade for a player that couldn't beat out Tanner ****ing Glass for a roster spot? And get rid of our third line LW?

Oh well... It's not like I haven't suffered through losing seasons before!

Seriously though, I hope he turns out well.

Glass is on a 1 way contract, and he was signed to replace Asham's mins. Tangradi and Glass are definitely not the same type of player.

And hey, maybe our PP now has someone who is willing to stand in front of the net.

Blackie Dammit

proud flatlander
Jun 27, 2011
Interlake
I like the fact that he likes the front of the net because the Jets currently have one guy(Ladd) that goes to the blue paint and scores greasy ones. The one thing I have noticed is that the Jets offense spends way too much time along the boards with no one in front of the net if they win the puck battle, thus, the play stays on the perimeter. Most goals in the NHL are scored within 10' of the net. IMO this is where our size must be utilized.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Glass is on a 1 way contract, and he was signed to replace Asham's mins. Tangradi and Glass are definitely not the same type of player.

And hey, maybe our PP now has someone who is willing to stand in front of the net.

May not be same style, just like Poni wasn't Glass' style either... but Glass was the one that got the 3rd line LW spot for a while with Sutter...
So yes, he did win out, contract status doesn't mean too much; how many of us think Redmond deserves a spot over Clitsome here... What about 1way contract Gagnon?

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
I like the fact that he likes the front of the net because the Jets currently have one guy(Ladd) that goes to the blue paint and scores greasy ones. The one thing I have noticed is that the Jets offense spends way too much time along the boards with no one in front of the net if they win the puck battle, thus, the play stays on the perimeter. Most goals in the NHL are scored within 10' of the net. IMO this is where our size must be utilized.

Totally agree

fergiesbeak

Aug 26, 2008
The Peg
No complaints here. Got a guy whose younger,tougher,cheaper and a 4th rounder for the poni express. Whats not to like.Good job Chevy.Maybe some people where expecting to get a guy like James Neal for the poni show.not sure what they want Chevy to do. Maybe if he just talks real nice to the other GM's in the league and tells them we really need one of your good players for a pile of crap player done deal.Whatever u want Chevy.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Totally agree. I see nothing on the farm that can help us, which is why Chevy keeps picking up low risk high reward players. Tangradi was a highly touted prospect not long ago with good size, and he cost us next to nothing. Give him a chance and lets see what happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad