Confirmed with Link: Jets Acquire Tangradi From Penguins

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009
If the Pens thought enough about Tangradi to try him on the second line with Malkin, the kid can't be totally void of skill. I read that he was also out for a couple of months with a concussion after an elbow to the head. Maybe recovery took some time. Videos seem to indicate that he is prepared to get physical. I LIKE this pick up.

That's the problem with Eric Tangradi, he doesn't play a physical game. If you're expecting that you'll be greatly disappointed. One of the major hang ups with him concerning Penguin fans is he didn't play to his size or use it in that regard.

Last edited:

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
A lot of fans seemed bummed on losing him and others felt we was more of a 4-5th round pick in value.. so I feel like we did something good.

That's the way I feel. At worst we lost a 7th for nothing. At best a serviceable RFA on a cheap two-way contract.

wilty00

May 15, 2007
Kelowna/Winnipeg
Suprised to see how mellow the response has been to this trade.

It's a seventh round pick for a formerly-highly touted big winger who automatically jumps guys like Peluso on the depth chart, and he's an RFA after the season to boot.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
I could be wrong, but I'm not totally convinced that Peluso is automatically the odd man out here. With guys like Ponikarovsky, Wellwood, and Miettinen all set to be UFA's I'm sure they will garner plenty of interest as the trade deadline approaches. One or more could be moved.

What is the status of Miettinen anyway? How serious is his injury? Is he close to coming back or will he be placed on LTIR?

Another possibility is perhaps some playoff teams looking for depth are inquiring about Thor.

There seems to be plenty of possibilities with the excess of bodies around the team right now.

As for the Tangradi trade itself, I'm not against it by any means as it was just a 7th rounder given up. I think it's a matter of bringing in another body because of the possibility of others being moved out. We'll know in the coming weeks how the chips will fall.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Tangradi needed a change. He's got the upside of a decent 3rd line guy IMO, but 3rd line was never an option for him in Pittsburgh. He was either going to stick on the top 2 lines, or leave. His style of play doesn't fit our bottom 6. He doesn't throw his weight around enough for that / isn't fast enough on the fore-check.

Keep your expectations muted and if he surprises, you guys will have gotten a decent player for nothing basically. If he doesn't then people will be fine with it and you still didn't give up much. The problem with our fan base is we were so hard up for "the next power winger" that many assumed it was going to be him, even though there was no logical reason to assume that. He had some big numbers in Junior hockey and some nice streaks in teh AHL but he's never put it together at the NHL level (in the role we attempted for him, which was to basically be another Chris Kunitz).

Best of luck to him and your team... except this Friday. ;)

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Peluso, Wright, Tangradi.....

I see the pattern, but I'm not sure what the end game is here. Does someone see diamonds in the rough or something?

Truffles are found in poo, no?

Seriously though, I wouldn't be surprised if this is nothing more than an AHL pickup, hence the draft pick instead of waivers. The Ice Caps are hurting right now.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
Truffles are found in poo, no?

Seriously though, I wouldn't be surprised if this is nothing more than an AHL pickup, hence the draft pick instead of waivers. The Ice Caps are hurting right now.

This was kind of what I was thinking. Give him a chunk of games in the NHL. If he proves he's an NHLer, great. If he doesn't, he'll probably pass right through waivers. In the AHL he's a proven producer and would help the Caps a lot.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
LOL What Stad said and I'll add to his reply... Kunitz garbage? The guy has 15 points. That's two more points than any player on our team at this point. Dupuis garbage? He had the longest scoring streak since 1996 and that was as recent as last Spring. Hes' been doing fairly well this year. Sutter has been great on the Pens third line putting up a point every second game, strong on face offs and defensively. He's arguably one of the NHL's best two-way forwards. Cooke, garbage? Sure he maybe a dink and play the kind of game people hate, but if you had him on your team you would be grateful. Gotta love guys who are effective at getting under the opposition's skin and drawing penalties, yet still putting upwards to 15 goals and 30 points on the third line, year-in and year-out. Educate yourself before making comments Gm0ney.

He's allowed to rag on any Penguins player he wants. This is the Jets forum.

Malkin is garbage. See? It's that easy.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I dont mind it. He's alright, nothing to write home about about, but could easily be that low risk high reward kinda thing that we all love so much!

Nothing Is New

Sep 26, 2011
Love this for the Jets. The Jets have a player or two who was once highly regarded and then fell out of favor (Wheeler for one) and then came back to be good. Winnipeg now becomes Tangradi's path to hockey salvation.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I dont mind it. He's alright, nothing to write home about about, but could easily be that low risk high reward kinda thing that we all love so much!

If any other teams looking for a good GM to manage your waiver wire, stock your AHL team or procure players who one day might play on your 4th line, then Chevy's your man!:shakehead

Tintin's Ghost

May 28, 2007
Saskatoon
It's like Chevy wants the team to resemble his own height. And if Tangradi is intended for St. John's would he not have to go through waivers first? Too bad we didn't flip Machacek for him. If the stories are true about Macho's attitude then what he is he still doing around the farm club?

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
I disagree with everyone saying he didn't use his size. For me the knack on ET is that he had a bad combination of lack of foot-speed and "hockey IQ"/positioning.

He needs some gametime in the near future to see if he can mold his game in the pros (maybe in the mold of Holmstrom?). I hate to say it, but he's looked like a career AHL'er to me though.

Good luck in Winnipeg though Big Dog!

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
If any other teams looking for a good GM to manage your waiver wire, stock your AHL team or procure players who one day might play on your 4th line, then Chevy's your man!:shakehead

Why don't you tell us what you would do as Jets GM. You know, something realistic.

At least Cheveldayoff is actively trying to improve organizational depth without giving too much up. Some stuff works some doesn't. The James Wright pick up looks pretty damned good right now and it cost us nothing. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I guess you are waiting for him to get a top 6 forward for a 7th rounder?

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
It's like Chevy wants the team to resemble his own height. And if Tangradi is intended for St. John's would he not have to go through waivers first? Too bad we didn't flip Machacek for him. If the stories are true about Macho's attitude then what he is he still doing around the farm club?

He's no longer exempt from waivers, so this can't be a move for St. John's.

Anyway, strikes me as another Chevy special: low risk and probably low reward move. Will be interesting to see where he slots in. Wright seems to have cemented a spot for the foreseeable future, so perhaps Poni will be the odd man out?

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
A meh move for me. May amount to something, may not. I kind of doubt it as he's been around a bit and never found his groove. We'll see, you never know.

Wonder who we're getting rid of? I think Peluso is the most obvious choice.

kk

diehard NYI/WPG fan
Jun 29, 2007
Taiwan (from Manitoba)
I like the Tangradi pickup a lot. Never hurts to have another big body around. We'll need him to do a bit more than just bump and grind, and he had trouble scoring and getting in on the action in Pittsburgh (which is obviously concerning) but it's a no-harm pickup for Winnipeg at this point. It'll be interesting to see where he plays. I'm assuming he'll get in right away.

IceCapsFanNL

Nov 1, 2011
St. John's
The main thing I take from this is that the Jets quite rightfully are underwhelmed by their forwards here on the rock.

This trade is the last nail in Mahachek's coffin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad