Confirmed with Link: Jets Acquire Tangradi From Penguins

jetkarma*

Why don't you tell us what you would do as Jets GM. You know, something realistic.

At least Cheveldayoff is actively trying to improve organizational depth without giving too much up. Some stuff works some doesn't. The James Wright pick up looks pretty damned good right now and it cost us nothing. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I guess you are waiting for him to get a top 6 forward for a 7th rounder?

The NHL has many players that have significantly developed after being drafted late , picked up after being cut , traded for low value . Hard to not think you wouldn't use a future 7th round pick for Eric Tangradi now imo.

Could be a serviceable bottom end guy with great size , or a plus player for his role and minutes. That isn't worth a 7th?

Personally I like that Chevy is churning , acting on those opportunities when it is there and right. Just because we haven't had a splash , doesn't mean we won't . I believe Cheveldayoff will be aggressive and that will be now through year three. Doesn't mean he can't get us better in other ways , plus it should send a message to the players . Good to hear some players comment in essence saying they need to play with some urgency.

1290 just said Bobby Mac says Pony is traded , not confirmed.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Why don't you tell us what you would do as Jets GM. You know, something realistic.

At least Cheveldayoff is actively trying to improve organizational depth without giving too much up. Some stuff works some doesn't. The James Wright pick up looks pretty damned good right now and it cost us nothing. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I'm not saying Chevy is a bad GM, but he really hasn't done a lot and really improved this team outside of drafting(which is what could show why he can do down the road). Wrifht is not a dam good pick up. Peverly was a dam good pick up. Wright was a solid pick up. If we want to compare what Chevy has done to someone, compare him to what Dudley did I'm his ONE year. Dudley did more to change the team in one offseason then Chevy has done in two years. And it was good changes. He's the reason we have Buff and Ladd.

But it's almost like he's afraid to make a bad move. That or he just wants to wait till his draft picks star to make an impact. Chevy has been extremely passive since taking over.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Tangradi is sure to get an opportunity by taking Ponikarovsky's spot according to Bob McKenzie.

Show us what ya got, kid.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Other than skills, anyone notice that when he is sporting a beard he could pass for Bogo's brother?

You are good to go on the jets if you look like Bogo or your first name is Zach.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Seperated at birth?

03-15-41_eric-tangradi_420.jpg
1324238811VFNyJW.jpg

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
With excess depth on the left side, I'm wondering if Chevy is preparing himself for the potential of a little trade down the road.

Without mentioning names we do have a LW'er with an inexpensive 1 year contract, has recent Stanley Cup experience, and has played on a handful of teams in the past couple of years.

Winner of the psychic award. So is a Getzlaf trade in the works :laugh:

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
I'm not saying Chevy is a bad GM, but he really hasn't done a lot and really improved this team outside of drafting(which is what could show why he can do down the road). Wrifht is not a dam good pick up. Peverly was a dam good pick up. Wright was a solid pick up. If we want to compare what Chevy has done to someone, compare him to what Dudley did I'm his ONE year. Dudley did more to change the team in one offseason then Chevy has done in two years. And it was good changes. He's the reason we have Buff and Ladd.

But it's almost like he's afraid to make a bad move. That or he just wants to wait till his draft picks star to make an impact. Chevy has been extremely passive since taking over.

Honestly, I liked Dudley (he used to be a Jet too :)) and I'm sure he's had a big behind-the-scenes role with the Habs in their turn around (vs last season)

That said, Chevy is a very different type of GM, and from a long term perspective, I think he's got the right attitude. If you look at what he's doing overall, its small time "present patchwork" (we need bigger players!) though no one of significance...but he's slowly gaining more and more draft picks. Look at the Poni deal, Oduya deal, this deal; effectively replaced Poni with a younger arguably similar player who will have an arguably similar effect, yet we've gained more draft picks

Both Chevy pre-TNSE and TNSE pre-NHL were very successful in the AHL, and both were able to find some real gems that went on to become significant NHL players (that were otherwise overlooked or not considered for a variety of reasons)

I think for the long term, Chevy has the right idea. Its nothing special yet.

But give it a few years.

Besides, worst case scenario is that this makes us even worse and we get some high round draft pick this year :laugh:

I just feel with the Jets, there's a lot of patience going to be needed. This team is going to be something special in several years.

A lot of these picks that don't amount to much could certainly be "obtained" overtime and traded down the line for something of impact. The more "right" draft picks obtained, the higher chance of something worthy. One never knows who the next Alexander Burrows will be.

I think the core team is something Chevy wants to keep so they grow together (Ladd, Kane, Burmy, Little, Bogo, Wheeler, Buff, etc), and to really get some impact players otherwise, we'd need to give up some significant players that I don't think he wants to give up.

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Pens fan here.. just wanted to fill you Jets guys in..

I've been following Tangradi or "The Big Dog" as he's known since his junior days with Belleville in the OHL.

This kid will become a great power forward in the league. He is not moveable from the front of the net/crease while screening a goalie (specialized on the Power play).

You guys got a steal here for a 7th.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Eh. This pickup essentially cost the Jets nothing, and coupled with the Poni trade, we come out with a 4th round pick in next year's draft. He's not getting into the top 6, but should be able to pick up on the 3rd line where Poni left off. You think Poni requested a trade back to NJ?

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
Both Chevy pre-TNSE and TNSE pre-NHL were very successful in the AHL, and both were able to find some real gems that went on to become significant NHL players (that were otherwise overlooked or not considered for a variety of reasons)

I think for the long term, Chevy has the right idea. Its nothing special yet.

But give it a few years.

Besides, worst case scenario is that this makes us even worse and we get some high round draft pick this year :laugh:

I just feel with the Jets, there's a lot of patience going to be needed. This team is going to be something special in several years.

For me, the jury is still out on Chevy.....Scheif could as easily turn out to be a career AHL player as a top 6 in my opinion......most of his moves have failed...Fehr, Mietennen, Poni were all duds, wright, peluso and clitsome are non factors.....I like jokinen but he hasnt found his stride yet (i realize its early)......montoya scares me.

has he added a single piece to the puzzle yet?.....i understand that some patience is needed, but he hasnt done anything to actually gain my confidence.....He hasnt made the team better in any real way.

hopefully his legacy will be an amazing draft guy.....maybe scheifele gets stronger on his skates and becomes a star.....but in my opinion, its way too early to say "This team is going to be something special in several years."

there is very little evidence to support that.

man, can someone re-size that picture...

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
For me, the jury is still out on Chevy.....Scheif could as easily turn out to be a career AHL player as a top 6 in my opinion......most of his moves have failed...Fehr, Mietennen, Poni were all duds, wright, peluso and clitsome are non factors.....I like jokinen but he hasnt found his stride yet (i realize its early)......montoya scares me.

has he added a single piece to the puzzle yet?.....i understand that some patience is needed, but he hasnt done anything to actually gain my confidence.....He hasnt made the team better in any real way.

hopefully his legacy will be an amazing draft guy.....maybe scheifele gets stronger on his skates and becomes a star.....but in my opinion, its way too early to say "This team is going to be something special in several years."

there is very little evidence to support that.

man, can someone re-size that picture...

All of those guys you mentioned cost the Jets relatively nothing, as they were cheap 1yr contracts or waiver wire pickups. Jokinen is a upgrade over our other centremen, even though he has yet to make his offense dominate the scorecard. Montoya is on a 1yr, 805k contract because he's still a decent backup and the Jets really had nothing else to go after in terms of goalies.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

Top six is where the problem is not tinkering with the 4th line, everyone knew last season the Jets couldn't score, the team also needed to be more physical, bringing in two soft old veterans ponki, jonki) both reluctant to hit didn't solve anything, every other team in the league is going young and the Jets go with two old guys.

Cormier and Mach in a Jets uniform would be a start.

Ulf Hullberg

Nov 6, 2011
Winnipeg
I really like the move. Anytime you can get a young guy with this type of size and scoring potential at a very cheap price...I think you do it.

Maybe a change of scenery will be the thing that kicks starts his NHL career. It took a trade from Montreal to Philly to turn an underachieving John Leclair into one of the leagues top scorers for several years.

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
All of those guys you mentioned cost the Jets relatively nothing, as they were cheap 1yr contracts or waiver wire pickups. Jokinen is a upgrade over our other centremen, even though he has yet to make his offense dominate the scorecard. Montoya is on a 1yr, 805k contract because he's still a decent backup and the Jets really had nothing else to go after in terms of goalies.

last i checked you dont get extra points in the standings for acquiring players without paying much.....the 'build by waver wire' approach has not been fruitful thus far.

fact is, other than jokinen every transaction Chevy has made has been fringe players who have not worked out.....we wont look back at his legacy and say, yeah he missed the playoffs every year but he was good at signing guys for the league minimum.

in the end its about winning...who cares what it cost....your points are not pro-rated against how much you spend....i couldnt care less how much a player makes....a cheap bad player is worse than a mediocre expensive one in my opinion.

montoya had the 43rd best save percentage in the league last year...one of only a few worse than pavalec.....i dont buy that there were no other options.....there are lots of options...there are 60 NHL goalies....make a trade...why else is Chevy there?

turd

Feb 1, 2013
If you like a big guy that has no clue how to use his size, than ET is your man. He's lazy, has no drive, and you'll have trouble noticing him.

So obviously, as a Pens fan, I expect him to score 4 goals on Friday against the Pens. Seriously, though, a 7th is about all he's worth. At least that's all he's played like the last couple years. An extremely disappointing prospect.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Pens fan here.. just wanted to fill you Jets guys in..

I've been following Tangradi or "The Big Dog" as he's known since his junior days with Belleville in the OHL.

This kid will become a great power forward in the league. He is not moveable from the front of the net/crease while screening a goalie (specialized on the Power play).

You guys got a steal here for a 7th.

Thanks for the info!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad