Confirmed with Link: Jets Acquire Tangradi From Penguins

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
If he does like to stand in front of the net, might give the PP something it needs. Net presence.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
Peluso, Wright, Tangradi.....

I see the pattern, but I'm not sure what the end game is here. Does someone see diamonds in the rough or something?

Sometimes I do this in my Yahoo Fantasy league, I pick up kinda good guys that aren't on any teams but will be picked up for injuries and key games, fillers. An then drop them instantly just so they're in a 2 day limbo so they can't be grabbed. Ahhhh Chevy, you're a sly one. :naughty:

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
Tangradi is an LW, meaning that (assuming he doesn't switch positions) he'll be behind Kane, Ladd and possibly Ponikarovsky.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The Pens aren't exactly known for depth.

We lack scoring wingers, we've been drowning in third liners for the past 6-7 years, though. Tangradi's only entrance point to the roster was the 2nd line wing job, which he wasn't good enough to handle at this stage of his career, because the 3rd and 4th lines were booked solid.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Don't look for him to make much of impact 5 on 5. He is good down low but doesn't really have the shot to score goals from any where than close to the net.

He made a living in the AHL on the PP in front of the net. Bylsma has trouble giving young players any kind of chance, see Strait, so he wasn't given a shot. Mattering how he's used he could be a real good pick up for nothing.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
What? Pens have garbage in their Top 9 outside of Crosby, Malkin and Neal. I have my doubts about the wisdom of this deal...

for the jets?

7th round pick for a good ahl player, possible 3rd/4th liner? Honestly, your lucky to draft that in the 7th round, I don't mind the pick up one bit.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Man, my sarcasm detector isn't working this afternoon..... I'm having touble deciding who's serious and who's not :)

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Advance stats time? I think so ;)

... too small of sample sizes but he did pretty decent last season against sheltered competition...

so I'll leave with this:

Hockey Prospectus: Top 10 Prospects: Pittsburgh Penguins
9. Eric Tangradi, Left Wing
2010-11 Ranking: 4th
Date of birth: 02/10/1989
Height: 6'4''
Weight: 232
Shoots: Left
Statistics: 37 GP, 15 G, 31 P (Wilkes-Barre/Scranton-AHL)
Acquired: Trade from Anaheim, second round, 42nd overall in 2007 by Anaheim

The Good: Tangradi is a plus physical forward who has filled out his frame, has good size, and has all the elements to play a top power game at the pro level. He's a handful to deal with when he turns his back to opponents and he's a good presence in front of the net. Tangradi has above-average hands, showing the ability to create offense, and is not simply a "banger". He could arguably be ready to push for a lower-tier full-time role as soon as next season.

The Bad: Once thought of as a potential NHL scorer, Tangradi hasn't shown the ability to consistently be an offensive force as he doesn't show that level of offensive instincts. His skating isn't all that great and it seems like he'll have to make a living in the NHL with below-average speed.

Projection: He could be a bottom-six winger.
4. Eric Tangradi, Left Wing
Date of birth: 02/10/1989
Height: 6'4''
Weight: 225
Shoots: Left
Statistics: 42 GP, 18 G, 33 P (Wilkes-Barre/Scranton-AHL)
Acquired: Trade from Anaheim; drafted second round, 42nd overall in 2007 by Anaheim

The Good: Tangradi is a plus physical player. He's a power forward with a big frame who wins a ton of puck battles, goes to the net regularly and can be a threat on the forecheck, with the ability to land bone-crunching hits. He's a pain to deal with in the cycle game due to his frame and the strength that he has on the puck. He's pretty coordinated for a big player and can be a fine player with the puck. Tangradi also shows the ability to see the ice at a notable level and he can be a good distributor. He shoots the puck at an above-average level and can score from beyond the blue paint.

The Bad: Tangradi's skating continues to hamper him and while he's brought his straight-line skating to below-average, his first few steps are fringe. His decision-making can be poor at times and he coughs the puck up at an alarming rate. His defensive value leaves a little to be desired as well.

Projection: A below-average second line forward with zone start protection upside, but he likely ends up as an average to below-average third line forward.

And an article by Corey Pronman of Hockey Prospectus made just for this trade:
http://www.puckprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=335

Last edited:

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009
I like Eric Tangradi for the Winnipeg Jets. Why? All it cost us was a 7th round pick. While he didn't exactly have chemistry playing with either of Sid the Kid or Geno, he could be used on a kid line with Alex Burmistrov and Evander Kane. Their speed could use to free up space for him, while his big body could be parked in front of the net, getting their garbage.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
for the jets?

7th round pick for a good ahl player, possible 3rd/4th liner? Honestly, your lucky to draft that in the 7th round, I don't mind the pick up one bit.

Where would this team be without our 7th rounders???

Redmond
Postma
Miettinen
Oduya
Kulda
Meech
O'Neill

The 7th has been pretty lucky! And you want to throw that away... :)

BTW: I think everyone else on D is either a 1st rounder (Hainsey, Stuart, Bogo) or an 8th-rounder (Enstrom, Buff, Clitsome).

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Where would this team be without our 7th rounders???

Redmond
Postma
Miettinen
Oduya
Kulda
Meech
O'Neill

The 7th has been pretty lucky! And you want to throw that away... :)

BTW: I think everyone else on D is either a 1st rounder (Hainsey, Stuart, Bogo) or an 8th-rounder (Enstrom, Buff, Clitsome).

true...we should have given them our 2nd for him :sarcasm:

Ulf Hullberg

Nov 6, 2011
Winnipeg
With excess depth on the left side, I'm wondering if Chevy is preparing himself for the potential of a little trade down the road.

Without mentioning names we do have a LW'er with an inexpensive 1 year contract, has recent Stanley Cup experience, and has played on a handful of teams in the past couple of years.

Stad

@Mahomes2Helaire
Apr 22, 2007
Saskatoon
What? Pens have garbage in their Top 9 outside of Crosby, Malkin and Neal. I have my doubts about the wisdom of this deal...

Yes. Because Kunitz,Dupuis,Cooke and Sutter are really garbage. :laugh:

Good luck to Tangradi in Winnipeg!!

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Wow we're slipping. The second page is almost done and I haven't seen it yet:

Plan the parade!

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Well I guess it's a low risk move that could work out and a 7th rounder is kinda like nothing... let's see what happens. I think Peluso will put on waivers after his 30 (?) days has passed. Wright did fine and Tangradi will probably be ahead of Peluso and we still have Miettinen coming back.

or...

there is another trade up (which I don't believe).

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Wow we're slipping. The second page is almost done and I haven't seen it yet:

Plan the parade!

the-very-best-of-the-success-kid-meme.jpg

:sarcasm:

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009
LOL What Stad said and I'll add to his reply... Kunitz garbage? The guy has 15 points. That's two more points than any player on our team at this point. Dupuis garbage? He had the longest scoring streak since 1996 and that was as recent as last Spring. Hes' been doing fairly well this year. Sutter has been great on the Pens third line putting up a point every second game, strong on face offs and defensively. He's arguably one of the NHL's best two-way forwards. Cooke, garbage? Sure he maybe a dink and play the kind of game people hate, but if you had him on your team you would be grateful. Gotta love guys who are effective at getting under the opposition's skin and drawing penalties, yet still putting upwards to 15 goals and 30 points on the third line, year-in and year-out. Educate yourself before making comments Gm0ney.

peg

Jul 8, 2010
If the Pens thought enough about Tangradi to try him on the second line with Malkin, the kid can't be totally void of skill. I read that he was also out for a couple of months with a concussion after an elbow to the head. Maybe recovery took some time. Videos seem to indicate that he is prepared to get physical. I LIKE this pick up.

Ossific

Aug 23, 2010
A lot of fans seemed bummed on losing him and others felt we was more of a 4-5th round pick in value.. so I feel like we did something good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad